• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
Nightro,

You're trying to debate AN OPINION. GLHFDS with that.
You're not even arguing the same thing.
Rochester != "the community"

Honestly, I don't mind taking the trip, because I would make it and not even get to play Smash, but just go hang out with the people in the community. But ask me to play and I will play. I just really like Melee.

And it's not like the rest of the community is taking the time to practice once every couple of weeks--oh, wait, except that's what we do now, thanks to Amber. You may not have noticed everyone finding ways to make the trip to get together and really train each other because you weren't at the last one. Even Neil was there, and he hadn't even slept the night before. Dr. Grandpa was there, too. We goddamn care in our community, and I find it rather amazing that you say our community is terrible when we were all wondering where you were that day when everyone else showed. I've seen Melee tournaments with the same amount of people we had that day. And I had a fantastic time the entire time I was there.
Be honest: How beneficial does 'once every couple of weeks' sound relative to "every week" or "twice a week?" A word like "terrible" accurately describes that.

Everyone? Pointing out one event? I couldn't even begin to count how many rides and setups Goggles has provided (not to mention expenses). Your entire post is reflective of your herd mentality. I understand you may feel good about fitting into a group, but there's no excuse to make it exclusive or make and take sides. The RIT smash group (the people that aren't on smashboards) gets left behind or out of the loop a majority of the time. For some, it's their choice but from their perspective, wouldn't you avoid "the community," too? I suggest you learn who you're talking about.

Us And Them (Dark Side of the Moon)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pbso85eeNo
"everybody, in the end, is the same. and there is really no point in warring with each other" - CaptainWafflos
no point unless...

>anecdotal evidence, namedropping, sweeping generalizations, McCarthyism

Ladies and Gentleman, Nightro!

PS: Just stating facts.
And a smidgen of nightrolling because I can't stand being that serious/dramallama.

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
Sorry. I'm really upset about some stuff that's happening at home right now, and I wasn't thinking clearly when I wrote that post, just ranting and being a ****. I just don't like when people get negative on our community. I usually keep my mouth the **** shut but clearly I wasn't in the right here.

So I guess-- I've got things on my mind. I do appreciate the Pink Floyd reference.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
thats the thing, we all have issues and stupid stuff to deal with. You just have to make sure you take out your frustration in the right avenues. Dont sweat it tho, its not a big deal, im used to people overreacting to my points based on my tone, so its not new.

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
thats the thing, we all have issues and stupid stuff to deal with. You just have to make sure you take out your frustration in the right avenues. Dont sweat it tho, its not a big deal, im used to people overreacting to my points based on my tone, so its not new.
Yeah. I was just not in a good place and overreacted. Props to Rob for bringing me back. Though I take issue with him calling me a McCarthyist. That's low, man. Real low.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
There's so much I can say, in fact I've actually typed out 2 long posts and deleted them after thinking them out. The one thing I will say, is that I miss having really big Smashfests where everyone was super excited to improve. Good times.

MTKO- Keep practicing man. What character do you play? Let's play together soon

Also anyone that has lost motivation to get better in Melee, I encourage you to keep practicing because the further you go into it's depths, the more fun and mindblowing of a journey it is. :)

That being said, special shoutouts to Rob for getting so much better, he's def top 5 in WNY now so even though you don't hear about him often, watch out for him.

Shoutouts to Bobby for being one of the smartest people naturally I know, and then having an insane work ethic on top of it.

Shoutout to Nightro for getting better everytime i see him even though he only plays once a week LOL wtf , I could NEVER do that.

Shoutout to Angel and Bebo for playing w/me on the weekends and having more heart than anyone.

Now everyone GO PRACTICE :)

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
There's so much I can say, in fact I've actually typed out 2 long posts and deleted them after thinking them out. The one thing I will say, is that I miss having really big Smashfests where everyone was super excited to improve. Good times.

MTKO- Keep practicing man. What character do you play? Let's play together soon

Also anyone that has lost motivation to get better in Melee, I encourage you to keep practicing because the further you go into it's depths, the more fun and mindblowing of a journey it is. :)

That being said, special shoutouts to Rob for getting so much better, he's def top 5 in WNY now so even though you don't hear about him often, watch out for him.

Shoutouts to Bobby for being one of the smartest people naturally I know, and then having an insane work ethic on top of it.

Shoutout to Nightro for getting better everytime i see him even though he only plays once a week LOL wtf , I could NEVER do that.

Shoutout to Angel and Bebo for playing w/me on the weekends and having more heart than anyone.

Now everyone GO PRACTICE :)
I main marth and falco. But I play a variety of characters. After getting destroyed by Lovage and many others last month in CA I wanted to practice getting really technical. So I've been practicing a little fox. I suck, so I'd lake to play against as many people as I can before I move. :D

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to do one at a comic book shop in Elmira sometime this month, but I haven't been able to discuss it with the own. And I don't know if it's worth it if only a few people I know show up.

TunaCasserole

Smash Journeyman
All yall melee people better come to Troy. It's prolly gonna be my last tournament in Upstate, unless another one's being held by the end of the semester.

THAT MEANS YOU ROCHESTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Zhenkai

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, know I haven't posted anythin' in god who knows how long, but do have somethin' to say. on the 29th of this month, I'm leavin' NY. Some family issues and what not, so I'm off to GA. I wanna say I really wish I could've been able to make it to more tourneys to play the guys I did again and everyone else I didn't, but life sucks. So for those that remember when I came down in August last year, played matches with, talked shop, and help me improve, I wanna say thank you all and will, at some point, hang out with you guys again.

Zhenkai

Smash Journeyman
I'll still post here now and then to see how everyone's doing. But I do know this, I'll be back in August and November to visit, so hopefully somethin' will be goin' on and I'll see 'bout makin' it.

Zhenkai

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Hub. I'm still kickin', but it's been really rough. I'd go into detail, but no emo story. XD Although I'm already lookin' into findin' some Melee players down there to try and up my game still and make some new friends, so whenever I do visit, I'mma do all I can to kick ya'lls arses. XD

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
lol san, you dont have a ps3 or xbox so you not gonna buy the game anyway, shouldnt stop you from playing it at least.

ps. congrats on the SBR acceptance.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
What are you talking about? I had a 360 for like 3-4 years.

And thanks, lol.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ive never seen an xbox at your place...

but then again, ive never been in your room.

also, you STILL arent going to buy the game. lol

MetalPat

Smash Ace
yo so im going to see what i can get off from work tomorrow.
Are there any future tournaments set up yet?
other than 3rd best, of course.

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
What's up guys? I'm Alex from PA, currently maining Peach and trying to second Falcon. Jesse told me about the regional topic, so I figured I'd drop in and say hi.

I'm almost always up for Smash when I'm not working (Which isn't very often these days. College is a *****), so if any of you ever want to just hang out and play, send me a message. Can't say I'll be any good, but I have no problem with getting destroyed if it means I can get better as a result.

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
:bee:

Good luck, Zhenkai.

Red wine sans corkscrew. That was an interesting night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng0-FcUQm-w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s6UiEuCYXA
Mortal Kombat live action, Ep1 (remember the trailer?)

In other news, "WoW pacifist reaches level 85 through picking and mining" :(

What's up guys? I'm Alex from PA, currently maining Peach and trying to second Falcon. Jesse told me about the regional topic, so I figured I'd drop in and say hi.

I'm almost always up for Smash when I'm not working (Which isn't very often these days. College is a *****), so if any of you ever want to just hang out and play, send me a message. Can't say I'll be any good, but I have no problem with getting destroyed if it means I can get better as a result.
My name is Rob. Try to get the others on here, too. It would probably be more meaningful if there were more events planned.

So you live in PA or you just moved from PA?
He goes to RIT.

Edit: FINALLY, Speed of Sound is out! (Sonic) http://sos.ocremix.org/

Top Bottom