• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

Sharky

Smash Master
Double MK has been banned on and off in various places for a long time now, even before the ban. That's fine by me.

Can't file the tourney under res life? I know at RIT the dorms ran a few tournies.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Aside from MK not being a threat here, playing with the ban while outside regions play without the ban only causes us to fall behind, and perform worse OOS. I vote for no ban, mostly due to lack of outside consistency.
I hate this arguement. Because:

1. Its purely theorycraft and has no basis in the real world.
2. have you looked around this region? Were already years behind... Real talk, this region is bad. I can still beat all the same people I could be when I actually played. Same goes for neil, if me and him showed up at the next tournament, and teamed, realistically, who in this region is going to beat us without san on their team? And neither of us has practiced since pound 5
3. If anything, it will help people to have more fun with the game, and as a result, want to play more and get better.

Sharky

Smash Master
not gonna bother getting into that debate, but the point stands that nobody abuses MK in this region to merit him being banned in the first place. If anyone loses to an MK they'll still use that as a john of course, but other than that? Now that Jason's gone for starcraft, what is there, really? and he even went back to DK in the end.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
So assuming Dec 1 will be intended to attract people outside upstate, do we want to change anything? I was thinking $10 singles, Brawl and Melee concurrently, MK legal/ban/legal but no two on same team?

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
The community needs to come up with a system where if any character excels in a matchup, then that character is banned for that matchup. Example: No ICs against Ganon.

I'm serious. This would contribute so much to the competitive scene. People couldn't be mad about MK anymore because there would be no ba matchups with him. It wouldn't be difficult to do, everyone would just have to carry around a 10 page list of which chars could be played when.

Honestly, I don't know where any of that came from, but I'm gonna post it anyway. For lulz.

:phone:

MetalPat

Smash Ace
if the tournament at RPI is going to try and attract out of state, then i would suggest doing the mk ban. and if youd rather not ban him all together, AT LEAST ban double mk.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
On a scale from 1-10, 1 being anti-ban, 5 being neutral, 10 being pro-ban, I'm a 7. I'm not as pro-ban as I used to be. It's not a necessity, but I enjoy it more.

Also, grats to Nintendude for getting 9th at Impulse. I don't know who did what for brawl, so props to anyone from here ahead of time that did well.

As for Utican info, I haven't started preparing for the next tourney. I'm trying to get a job and I don't know what times I'll be working when I get one.

I'd also love to make it to Troy for that December tourney. It sounds hype. I probably only won't go to that if it gets in the way of me making it to APEX. Also, I don't know if I'll be attending any of the Rochester monthlies.

I'm always open for wifi if you guys feel like playing me. Hit me up on skype (piedisliker), since that's where I'm always at. I'll friendly any of you for sure.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Hey guys.

I'd love to see some Upstate at Mass Madness on August 4th.

It's going to be really big. It's the NESS Circuit final, so all the NE players are going hard at it, it's an APEX 2013 Qualifier, and top8 get paid with over $100 extra in the pot.

;)

Foy

Smash Champion
LOL at people *****ing about MK still.

And ICs vs Ganon isnt that bad, ganon is though.

Kyle always talks about how he doesnt get practice and can still body people but im pretty sure san can say the same **** and he still bodies you.

But the thing is he doesnt **** talk about it.

Kyles post are about how he sucks his own **** while boosting his ego cause he plays janky as ****.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
Do you guys want to do a fall tournament circuit for upstate? We can use it for ranking and linking tournaments together, plus have some additional bonus at the end. The New England Melee is pretty active, and they're doing a decent and simple job with their summer circuit. I already have a big venue secured for December 1, so that could easily be the final one or championship, although it's 4 hours from Rochester. Either way, you guys know about December 1 now, and you can prepare already.

Times:

Early/mid September?
Late September/early October?
10-20: 9th BEST
Early/mid November?
12-1: 10th BEST (final?)

Possible Locations:

Troy (2 planned this fall)
Rochester (monthlies currently)
Syracuse
Utica
Albany

The Rochester Upstate Battles are monthly, but they don't seem very active or well-organized lately. The first one looked good, but it definitely dwindled off. I'd recommend doing only one or two of them during this multi-month time. Additionally, 9th BEST is October 20, the third Saturday in October, which I can't change, but you guys have plenty of time to decide if you want to avoid two tournaments on the same day or not. If you have to pick between 9th and 10th BEST to go to, 10th is in a bigger room and intended to be bigger and better.

Syracuse is a good spot for being in a central area in upstate. Utica has done a tournament. MetalPat has mentioned Albany possibilities a few times.

If you guys want your Smash scene active or better, do something about it. Please get my attention on AIM if you're interested in talking about this idea. (Zaandaa)

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
I love the circuit idea. Not that I'd be able to make much but Albany/Troy. If Dudu can find a venue, Binghamton would be a good spot too.

Also I kind of want to make a trailer for 10th BEST.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
I want to know what the plans are of other TOs. We have a decent amount of time to set things up if we assume it kicks off in September. Finding a good venue in Syracuse would be nice.

Check out New England's plan for their circuit. You can details on the Mass Madness page, which is the championship. Also, you Melee kids should go to that tournament because I might be there.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=322691

I have some unused Melee combos and everything else on my channel. I could upload a trailer for 10th BEST and can give some Melee stuff, but I won't be able to work on it otherwise.

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
Yo I really love this circuit idea. Me and paul are working on a venue so we might be able to fit into this idea. My only concern is really how are roch/troy gonna get to each others tournys. for the circuit to work imo there needs to be considerable weight behind each event. It seems just kinda bleh if you can win the circuit only attending half the tournys. Or even worse winning the circuit without even being at the championship event (Decembest). So if this were to work we would not only need the coordination of the regions TOs but also of each sub regions drivers.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
My only concern is really how are roch/troy gonna get to each others tournys.
If Rochester can get more organised and better advertised with their tournaments, and attract more people for Brawl than the first Upstate battle did, No Skillz would probably be willing to drive out to them, where other people from Albany/Troy/Schenectady can carpool along.

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
I can think of a Suracuse venue.

There is a new store in the city called Voltage Video games. They already do tournaments for various games. I can ask them if they would be interested in hosting a brawl tourney.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Beta, since everyone mostly knows now.i just need you to go to voltage video games on saturday for their brawl tournament and be the smash scene liaison. Im trying to get up there for all that tasty free money but i dont knoe if i can.

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
Beta, since everyone mostly knows now.i just need you to go to voltage video games on saturday for their brawl tournament and be the smash scene liaison. Im trying to get up there for all that tasty free money but i dont knoe if i can.

you realize their prizes are in store credit only. also i think that tourny was last weekend

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Its definitely this weekend, they told me personally on their facebook page.

That no cash part takes the wind out of my sails a bit but i could still buy games and then sell them upon my return

Its slightly more effort but its still money i can make of it...

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
To be honest, I have no idea whether or not I'll be hosting a tourney again anytime soon.

1. The theatre that I used is doing more events for bands and such, and it seems that they may more profit from those types of events. I haven't really talked to them about hosting another after I did the first, so IDK about this atm. Just something my dad brought up when I talked to him about it. If I can't host at the theatre I might be able to find another location, like the college I'm going to for example.

2. Trying to get a job. I might be getting one at my local bowling alley after I turn 18 in August, and I might be working weekends if I get one there. Once again, IDK if I'll even get the job or when I'd be working.

At this point I'm certainly uncertain, though I'd love to have a circuit between multiple cities throughout Upstate NY. I love the effort, Zaandaa.

Sharky

Smash Master

you realize their prizes are in store credit only. also i think that tourny was last weekend
Its definitely this weekend, they told me personally on their facebook page.

That no cash part takes the wind out of my sails a bit but i could still buy games and then sell them upon my return

Its slightly more effort but its still money i can make of it...

whoah whoah whoah when is this someone link me up

edit: found it. the date on the website is wrong, unless a lot of people including the store guys are misinformed on the event page lol. I'll be there.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
as an update, CJT and I have been discussing different options thru our buildings and where we could maybe hold a smash bros tournament. there are places we can get but they cost more money than we can muster up, so we are going to see about talking to our boss to see if we can get reduced pricing...

until that happens we dont really have anywhere else in albany.

eeveee

Smash Journeyman
there's a frat at SU that hosts smash tournies as a rush event. maybe i can get them to throw something.

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
Allow me to share some information about certain attendees of the Voltage tournament.

1337-0. That is all.

Also almost me. Until they decided to move the tourney to the day I go to Boston.

Top Bottom