• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Will there be any smashfests over the summer? Can't wait.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Cool that acton got in the top 10, but it feels odd to me when I have a relative handle on my game but somehow got STOMPED HARD by bry last weekend. I don't even know what was up, pikapika didn't shut me down that fast, on a more pika-tastic course, even.

Inb4 sandbagging

EDIT: Course, Bry had trouble at other tournies and wasn't as active.
Thanks for honorable mentions. I'll see if I can step it up this summer; my DK game was feeling rather fresh the other day, so it's not like my roster is shifting drastically, yet.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Yo, I'm happy for you, and I'mma let you finish,
but it's definitely a dialogue of bawww; no johns.

...of all time, yadda yadda, it's 2AM.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Since I don't really recall the melee power ranking much, I'm wondering, was it sort of mushy within a place or two across, or was it more concrete? I know lots of people didn't agree on it. It seems like it got shaken up more than brawl's san's a button.

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
Since I don't really recall the melee power ranking much, I'm wondering, was it sort of mushy within a place or two across, or was it more concrete? I know lots of people didn't agree on it. It seems like it got shaken up more than brawl's san's a button.
The thing is it's pretty solidly clear who ranks what in the community. Everyone accepts that the top five players are pretty much constant. Jesse's #1, Neil's #2, Steffon's #3, ManaLord's #4, and Minh's #5. Every now and then (particularly recently) you have weird upsets, but realistically these are the most experienced players Melee has in the area.

The thing is all five of them have wildly different personalities and that tends to lead to rivalries/trash talking-- so when one player upsets another, trash talking usually begins and the real strength of our players is hidden.

The later five slots are the most volatile but they should be, since it'll be a while since anyone else breaks into those top 5. Dudutsai, Spamus, TheGeneral, Goggles, Cura are all contenders.

There really shouldn't be any reason not to have the rankings back up, though. To the onlooker just starting with Smash who wants to get to know the best players in the area, they're invaluable as an introduction the community. They say, "We know who's good and whose not and we're not afraid to say it so we can get better."

In other words, Goggles, no one who posts regularly in this thread actually gives a real **** about the power rankings. We all know who is better than who, the rest is just trash talk. Put the rankings back up because it limits the ability as a Melee community to grow and it's not fair to give Brawl players this benefit when the Melee community has been working so hard to establish itself.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. I fixed the Brawl and Melee thing.

2. How can you say that something you dont care about and dont think anyone else cares about is so monumentally important.

3. Theres nothing stopping you guys from coming up with your own community established list. Especially since
the Melee community has been working so hard to establish itself.
Im just not going to do it for you.

4. If you do decide to take my advice from number 3. You need to respect the wishes of the people you deal with and keep myself and Dudutsai OFF the list.

5. Rob and Foy are both better than cura, as theyve both beaten him at the 2 most recent tourneys.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
It would make sense if you just gave a list to goggles, honestly. Copypasta it in. Two threads is mad stupid.

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
1. I fixed the Brawl and Melee thing.

2. How can you say that something you dont care about and dont think anyone else cares about is so monumentally important.

3. Theres nothing stopping you guys from coming up with your own community established list. Especially since Im just not going to do it for you.

4. If you do decide to take my advice from number 3. You need to respect the wishes of the people you deal with and keep myself and Dudutsai OFF the list.

5. Rob and Foy are both better than cura, as theyve both beaten him at the 2 most recent tourneys.
All right, let me clarify: The Melee rankings are important. Everyone agrees that we should have them. The thing is that where people are placed on the list is something that people realize inherently changes and your placement is temporary. Saying X is better than Y because of Z is stupid because these things change and are subject to tournament data.

So it's important to keep it up because to keep track of who's been winning tournaments and who hasn't. It is NOT a reflection on how good people are in relation to one another, permanently. The rest is just trolling.

Furthermore, you taking down the Melee list, particularly when you've got a MAP up showing where MELEE players are, and then labeling the thread just plain Brawl is kind of going behind the back of the Melee community here. We want to keep our community cohesive and splitting us up on lines of Brawl and Melee is stupid.

Goggles, I don't care how you do it, but this community needs a solid anchor and this thread has been that anchor. Don't just change it out from under us like this, you're the one operating the thread and you took on the responsibility to at least provide some means of Melee players getting themselves networked.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
Actually it was all sorts of ****ed up.

...Neil's #2, Steffon's #3...
How many times to I have to beat this guy in order for everyone else to agree I'm #2?

Oh just go ahead and **** yourself already. If you don't want to have a Melee PR in your beloved thread just be honest and say you are biased towards one game, and you would rather not be associated with the other, rather than trying to blow smoke up our *****.

Also, I will continue to rank people who request to be removed, for the sake of accuracy. Having a PR means taking on the responsibility to make sure it's concise AND accurate. If you don't want to be ranked, don't ****ing play.

Goggles, I don't care how you do it, but this community needs a solid anchor and this thread has been that anchor. Don't just change it out from under us like this, you're the one operating the thread and you took on the responsibility to at least provide some means of Melee players getting themselves networked.
Dave, stop being so nice. He has made it clear that he would rather invest time in Brawl. That's fine. We are fully capable of making our own WNY Melee social thread, with an accurate power ranking.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I labeled the thread Brawl because you said it didnt make sence to have a thread labeled brawl and melee when it didnt have a melee ranking on it.

Do you really think this thread has any correlation to the cohesiveness of the melee community? Because most of them (jesse, foy, steffon, neil, rob, amber, minh) are rarely, if ever, on smashboards anyway. so I disagree with that.

Like I said, if yall can coordinate and make a PR list for me to put up, WITHOUT me, Mana, or Tsai on it, Ill put it right up, and change it back. I mean, lookat the two of you now, you cant get past number 2 without disagreeing on it...

steffon. I dont play in tourneys, Mana and Tsai havent been to any in forever. putting us on a list we dont deserve to be on, agaisnt our wishes is a slap in the face and a major disrespect to people you say you are trying to represent.

And I think its more of an issue, of you all not wanting to be associated with me than the other way around.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
I would definetly rank rob ahead of me. I cant seem to get around hims hes beaten me everytime we've faced. But foy and I are about even i beat him 1 tournament hes beat me another.

Kantō

Smash Champion
whoa wtf happened.

these ****in PR 's....

im gunna **** next tourney and make it how it should be, leet 0 hasnt been to a tourney since Stylin on ya 2, james G isnt really active a lot ( not to say that both these players arent good) , sharky and me are dead even in skill and always will be, and acton....u got lucky.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
LMFAO
Goggles is a f@ggot.

Just put the **** PR back in the first post. Don't take it out because "I don't wanna be on it BAW QQ"

Foy

Smash Champion
xD at all this drama. Whatever.

Nice not talking to you brawl kids anymore sense we probably will make a new thread that is gonna spam the boards with the other 6 Upstate NY threads

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
LMFAO
Goggles is a f@ggot.

Just put the **** PR back in the first post. Don't take it out because "I don't wanna be on it BAW QQ"

lol, I didnt take it down because I didnt want to be on it.

I took it down because I honestly dont know what it is, and im not gonna bother trying to figure it out. Ill leave that to the people that want it up to make that distinction.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero

lol, I didnt take it down because I didnt want to be on it.

I took it down because I honestly dont know what it is, and im not gonna bother trying to figure it out. Ill leave that to the people that want it up to make that distinction.
It IS a POWER RANKING with TEN PLAYERS from YOUR REGION listed IN ORDER OF SKILL.
The ACCURACY is DEBATABLE, however this is NO REASON to REMOVE it from the FIRST POST and HIJACK the MELEE AND BRAWL thread by TURNING IT INTO BRAWL

Simple.

Snowmanthatknows

Smash Journeyman
Pfft, here's the new Melee power rankings.

Jesse > Everyone else > Foy > Me

Done? Easy enough, lets make it a new thread and say good bye to Brawl kids.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Yo, think he was just sayin, throw him a PR that's some kind of a consensus, and he'll smack it up there.

That said, it's probably prime time to discuss what that 1-10 should be. Basically, it's saying you can decide your PR without goggles.
So, start opinionatin'

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Eyo sharky. couple questions

Is Ian staying in rhode Island for the summer?

Me, Neil, and San are going to be going to MLG in my car so far. San will probably want a spot in the room. I dont know about Neil.

You know that armchair thats in the corner of every hotel room ever? yea, Im calling that now.

Who from syracuse is confirmed for the room so far?

EDIT: exactly what sheth said.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
:l

Sad to see the rankings split when we've had so many tournies together, and the brawl players played melee and the melee players played brawl. I thought we were one community, regardless of what we played.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Can the other thread, there's no point in splitting. Just get all the melee people to make a consensus on 1-10. Goggles puts it on first post, you good.

C'mon guys, can't you read goggles' stuff fine? No dashdance out of range to waveshine to what is this I don't even? STEP IT UP.
EDIT: (What I mean to say is, you just misunderstand what he's saying here. People who know melee better than goggles should give goggles the melee PR to put in the first post.)

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
Okay, well then, we have two options:

1. Goggles outsources the Melee PR to the Melee players, and we spend some time hashing it out before we come up with a first version of the list. In the mean time, this thread goes back to being Melee+Brawl, and the first post will have an "under construction" message.

2. We split the community into two threads. It'd be stupid since a lot of (if not most) of the tournaments in the area have both games and players that play both, but we could change it whenever we wanted to.

I'd much rather have #1, since a community split up like this is really god**** stupid. We're trying to grow, not factionalize into smaller communities.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
If I were able to I'd help along with a PR, but I could really only say this:

1. Jessiah TEG
2-10. LOL IDK

The other thread is there because Goggles decided to take out the PR without much of a good reason. If you guys want a 'good' PR to be made and put in this threads first post... Well, you'll have to MAKE A GOOD ONE and NOT LEAVE IT UP TO KoJ.

>_________>

Top Bottom