• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Jeez bro, I wasn't aware of all the stress and hardships going on in your life. I hope everything works out for you in the long run man.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
Man it seems like everyone in the smash community is tight on money. Who is going to apex still now that goggles isn't going? =s

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
=((((((

I feel terrible now...

EDIT
@ Acton, I have money matches vs dotcom and TUSM saved on your wii, is there anyway you can YT those up?

@ san, you have some replays of me too, both from the tourney and the day after, Id like to ask you the same favor.

It should be easy to know whichreplays are of me, as im the only one to use the GoggleSonic, with the Bzzzz tag.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
You shouldnt feel bad if you cant give people a ride to apex, Everyone who is going (minus lil boy vibe) is able to drive and if they cant drive at this point than its their fault. I dont believe someone should truly count on just 1 person, always have a back up plan! :]

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
You shouldnt feel bad if you cant give people a ride to apex, Everyone who is going (minus lil boy vibe) is able to drive and if they cant drive at this point than its their fault. I dont believe someone should truly count on just 1 person, always have a back up plan! :]
You say it like there's a crapload of options for getting down there :p

Also, Goggles, don't worry about it. **** happens,

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Don't sweat it Goggles. Everyone has things he/she must deal with or hardships that prevent him/herself from doing everything they want to do, but just believe they can be dealt with.

If anyone within a 3 hour radius of Rochester is driving to Apex, if there's room for 1 more (and I'll help pay for gas) I'll try to get a bus over there.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Don't sweat it Goggles. Everyone has things he/she must deal with or hardships that prevent him/herself from doing everything they want to do, but just believe they can be dealt with.

If anyone within a 3 hour radius of Rochester is driving to Apex, if there's room for 1 more (and I'll help pay for gas) I'll try to get a bus over there.
You could try Megabus, or something.

Goes from Albany to NYC for a dollar, iirc.
and back. I think. I've never been on it myself.

Edit:
it's 39$ for there and back, but the stop is about an hour drive away from Apex. Lol xD.

MCmaniacDBR

Smash Apprentice
You could try Megabus, or something.

Goes from Albany to NYC for a dollar, iirc.
and back. I think. I've never been on it myself.

Edit:
it's 39$ for there and back, but the stop is about an hour drive away from Apex. Lol xD.
NYC would be enough cuz Dr G is housing people for free (and im assuming he has a way to get to apex from there)

Sharky

Smash Master
hmm well there's the answer to my question in the other post lol. But there's ways to get a bus to new brunswick from the city, right? Though now that I think of it how late would they run...=/ Alright I'm about to look mad stuff up brb lol

also goggles I'm still offering to pay you extra lol

edit: option 1: taxi from nyc airport to new brunswick: 112 dollars one way =$

edit2: waiting on hearing back from neil on whether he can drive or not

Minic

Smash Apprentice
dang well uh, since goggles isn't able to make it, i guess im screwed for a doubles partner in melee. Any1 still looking? How are you guys from the apartment getting there exactly? i could still use a ride too and i'd pitch in whatever for gas.

hubble

Smash Ace
dang well uh, since goggles isn't able to make it, i guess im screwed for a doubles partner in melee. Any1 still looking? How are you guys from the apartment getting there exactly? i could still use a ride too and i'd pitch in whatever for gas.
Lets team if I go *****. I supply the intoxicating substances, you bring the ****ing rice.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
nah dawg. I dont need your money, i gotta learn to take care of myself.

already have a couple (hopefully) nice jobs lined up to research.

i need to just start taking care of myself right now.

But angel just called me to say some really nice stuff.

i told him that every one in UNY is going to apex 2011 on me. Angel reminded me of something. We just gotta be like saiyans and just come back harder everytime we get knocked down.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
"We just gotta be like saiyans and just come back harder everytime we get knocked down."

Quote of the century. But seriously, hope your situation gets better man. I know I don't really know you or any of these guys that well, but you've all been cool to me & my novice ways so I wish you all the best.

You know, car rentals are an option if you need. Renting a compact car for a few days and splitting the cost between 5 people won't be too pricey, I think. And you get the freedom of going out to Taco Bell or White Castle late at night or something.

Although rental companies are douchebags and you have to be of a certain age to rent a car. I think 21... Otherwise it's more expensive if you're younger or they just won't let you rent it. I would know, I had plans to go to Sonic in New Jersey for afterprom... But that didn't pan out. :urg:

Sharky

Smash Master
rental for me (under 25) would be just under $500 =/

edit: yeah the cheapest I've found is $441 for thurs-mon. I just don't have that kind of money to put down just to get the car, and would much rather just spend extra time on the train. =/

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I'm getting a little better at Brawl...I still do so many executions that I didn't mean to...So annoying. I Usmash instead of Utilting a lot, which is the worst. Snakedashes end up being normal dash attacks, instead of turning around and tilting, I jab in place...Annoying

Sharky

Smash Master
try turning tap-jump off to solve the up tilt problem? I know you might not want to because it would deviate from melee controls, but I don't think snake needs tapjump for anything in particular.

edit: NYC finally changed their PR thread so it's NYC/Long Island rather than NY. I think we should change ours to Upstate NY.

Sharky

Smash Master
ok, actual solution for the uptilt thing: tilt up and then hit c-stick up. When you are holding the direction you hit the c-stick in with the control stick, you will always tilt.

Shugo-Chan

Smash Lord
Sry to hear you cant come dakid :(. life blows for me too atm. and btw..do you think you can give the hat to someone from that area thats going to apex?

Foy

Smash Champion
Rule #1 of posting in any upstate NY thread: Never take anything Foy says seriously. Ever. ;D!
If people are still saying this **** and i havent posted in ****ing forever this is bull****.

Not only do i take both games seriously, its also the most important thing that has impacted my life so far.

Before anyone says "Yo its just a game, it can't be that important!" Ill tell you my story.

In 2005 i saw a vid of JoeBushman homerun contest and i freaked the **** out and wanted to learn how to do anything close to what he could. I got a cube and started playing religiously. Wake up, go to school, think of smash the whole time, go home, play smash if nothing was going on that i could do and go to sleep. I would IP proxy the computers at school just so i could watch matches on youtube cause schools block that **** (which is stupid in my opinion). For 2 years i played the game, by myself when i had free time to learn and teach myself as much as i could. I spent 2 ****ing years trying to perfect as much as i could and learn every aspect of the game.

Then rolls around Battle for Western NY 5. The first tournament i ever went too. I showed up, thinking i was hot ****, not know that kids in rochester were good. Then I realized not only were the people I would later in life refer to as family were amazing and could stomp me out with ease, but my 2 favorite smash pros showed up for the tournament. PC and Chudat. I was ecstatic, like a fat kid in a cake shop. I wanted to prove that my years of training was good enough to compete with the best. Brackets came up and the first match was called. Foy vs Chudat.

My jaw hit the floor.

My idol i looked up to at the time, playing me, the random scrub. I was nervous, scared, excited. I played him. You can guess who won. So i continued the tournament and did decent i think. >_> But i realized that this was my one love, the competition. The Love of the game, the only thing that keeps me going after being 4 stocked for years by people who are better then me. After the first tournament i was hooked. I talked to Goodies and Steffon about going to Pound 3 with them, the most hyped tournament ever and the most historic. The beginning of Mangos reign.

After that I was in a melee dry spell. I didn't play anyone, I thought i was done with melee, the biggest tournament ever happened and people talked about how melee would die to the new game coming out that was going to be better in every aspect.

This is when man i look up too now and respect got ahold of me on aim and told me to come play against him. This man you may know as TheManaLord, but ill just call him TML. TML contacted me and told me i should come and visit him at Oswego to go play against him and party. Me being 16/17 at the time and having no car, had to resort to stealing my parents car and running away for a weekend. That weekend changed my life, not only did i meet two of the coolest dudes in the smash community but i also realized the dedication i had for this game. I stole my parents car, drove an hour and a half away to go play Melee with kids i have only met once before. That weekend with TML will always be in my memories as one of my Top 10 favorite weekends in my lifetime so far.

After that I became even more dedicated to melee, i would travel up to rochester every weekend i could to play against RTF and hubble as much as possible. We would chill at RTF's bros house and play smash till the sun rose and pass out, then wake up and play more.

This is when my life went into a slump. I was sick, tired, broken, destroyed. Life felt miserable for me. I met a girl, the girl i thought was the one. This ended up being the total opposite of what happened, i became depressed over a girl who didn't love me back. All i could do was focus on melee and to erase her from my memories. Also at the same time my family was in a feud, i felt like i wasn't wanted at my house, i felt abandoned. I saved up as much money i could to buy a ticket and leave NY to move with my dad and start a new life, a clean slate. Then something saved me from disappearing from the ones i love and the game i played.

My grandma from California came to visit me and my family. I ended up talking to her and she offered to fly me out to cali to come and live with her. the abandoned smashers dream. California, where all the hype is at and where it all began. I took the opportunity and headed to Cali. Or as i called it, Smash Haven.

I lived out there for 4 months, and during that time i met players that I've always looked up to and admired. I gained friends along the way, the Modesto and FTA crew. This kids made me feel welcomed. It was like i was in NY again. New smash kids to meet and play against. No matter where you go, smashers almost always welcome you with open arms.

Thats what this post is about, the smash community and how each region I've been too is like a family.

I flew back home in Nov and didnt play smash till Dec. 5th. This tournament was the tournament to show that i powerleveled in Melee when going to cali. It didn't happen. I lost to pyros Zelda with IC's. I was pissed, i never wanted to play the game again.

Then my good friend TML got ahold of me, and said he was going to be going to a tournament that was coming up in rochester. We met up at a friends place and played melee till dawn. On barely any sleep we trucked to the tournament. I realized this is what i live for, the thrill of the game. This is the day that would start the beginning of the M14 smash family.

This is the day that i met Angel, the king of yelling ****. We met and i thought he was going to be some ghetto Puerto Rican mudda fukka. But was wrong to judge. This man would become one of the people i would literally take a bullet for. I asked if i could use his car to smoke weed. He said "Hell yeah just spray the **** out of the car afterwards with the perfume. My girl will kill me if it smells like weed in there!"
Myself, Jesiah and TML all partook in the festivities of the car party. This is the first time i knew that JesiahTEG would have a huge part in my life.

JesiahTEG, where to begin. Oh wait lets jump back to BFWNY5 when you called my a scrub. This was the man i was after, i wanted his crown, his title, the champion of Western NY. I saw him as a rival of sorts, only to find out that not only would he be one of my best friends, but he would also become like a brother to me. JesiahTEG and his friend/roommate Sam asked me after only knowing me for 2 weeks to move in with them. At first i thought they were kidding, till the next time i came around there apartment and they asked again and i took the offer.

Ever since then my life has been amazing. I've met so many people and created friendships with people that i probably wouldn't have if it wasn't for smash bros.

Juni, []Daco, Sam, Kelvin, Kyle, Neil, Rob, Burak, Steffon, Amber, and every other person that has ever been to the apartment to play smash or to even come by and chill with us.

No matter what anyone says, smash bros means the world to me. I don't care if you guys dont take my post seriously or you see me as that obnoxious kid thats at tournaments. I said when i began typing this that the competition is what kept me going. Not only does that drive me to become the best, but the family we have within this community keeps me going, throughout thick and thin I know that even after smash, we are all friends.

Snowmanthatknows

Smash Journeyman
Ahaha, Foy, I love you.

I need to start taking Smash more seriously, I love the game like no tomorrow but I just don't commit myself to it enough. You guys needs to start yelling at me and making me come down the apartment and tournaments more. I mean like, ****ing make me go, kidnap me in an unmarked white van if you have to.

Top Bottom