• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Woah sounds like you guys are really butt hurt over some trash talk, so I'll try to keep it cool this time.

Lets get the common opinion down: Snowman is a dumb ***.

Here are my supporting facts to this argument:
1. He thinks hes good.
2. He thinks he deserves an honorable mention.
3. He thinks hes good because people know his name.
4. He is going to read this post and still think he's good.

Fame through sucking and fame through winning are two different things.

Snowman you just suck.
sorry bro (lulz)
you sir are an *** hat.

snowman may not be a top competitor, but he doesn't think he's top **** either. like most players in this region, snowman is an average player. he keeps improving or trying which is really what counts. you can really tell when people put a lot of effort into playing, and at least if you tell someone they're bad, you have to tell them to keep trying and get better (i'm not calling you bad, snowman). but the amount of hate that goes on in this PR thread is amazing. it's why i hardly ever post here. people just start to do stupid **** here.

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
Snowman, the phrase "honorable mention" has some pretty well-defined connotations. Its the people who didn't make the PR but who were close enough to be paid the honor of being mentioned. What you're describing, as far as putting everyone in the region on there, is not in fact an honorable mention list. Its just a list. If you want to add your name to "the list of players in the region who play melee and really really wanna get better" then I'm all for that. Its a legitimate list to make, it might even be a useful list to make, and I don't think anyone would argue you don't belong on there. But you can't arbitrarily change what "honorable mention" is going to mean.

Also, Dudu in the last 3 pages has spoken nothing but truth. Keep giving me interesting things to read, kthxbye.

Viciousai

Smash Rookie
I also have a new tag from anyone I haven't told yet. With my new attitude towards this game I needed a new tag.

dudutsai is dead. It's Viciousai from now on. See ya space cowboy.

WillE

Smash Cadet
you sir are an *** hat.

snowman may not be a top competitor, but he doesn't think he's top **** either. like most players in this region, snowman is an average player. he keeps improving or trying which is really what counts. you can really tell when people put a lot of effort into playing, and at least if you tell someone they're bad, you have to tell them to keep trying and get better (i'm not calling you bad, snowman). but the amount of hate that goes on in this PR thread is amazing. it's why i hardly ever post here. people just start to do stupid **** here.
he's callin you bad

just sayin'

On another note: if you want a name for yourself you're gonna have to earn in and not demand it. (im not necessarily callin you out on this, snowman) lol im kidding. I'm callin you out

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I really do not care about the PR, but I just find it really funny how you post about knowing you've got a long ways to go, then the next post is putting yourself under Honorable Mentions. What exactly have you done to deserve a spot there?

But I guess that's the point. You don't need to do anything to be there. Don't fool yourself. Melee is such an evolved game that it may take years for someone just to reach average level play. I know if it was me, I wouldn't be satisfied, or even think about substituting something weak like "honorable mentions" in place of my real goal.

EDIT: It may seem like I'm being extremely harsh, but honestly if you intend to rise up, when you get to regional and higher levels, post progression like that is what will get you laughed at, except most people won't bother explaining it to you. Since I might as well be regionless too, I don't mind receiving some hate from Upstate.

Also, you mentioned yourself before Spam, Juni, or Silver. If you're up there, might as well throw Jtam up there too. Two tournaments and directly beating you, why isn't his name under honorable mentions? LOL

EDITx2: This is a power rankings thread. Other people come to the thread looking for the best competition upstate has to offer. If you're seriously gonna run it, I would recommend trying to be as impartial as possible. You're sacrificing yourself to run this; it's not your tool to help gauge your personal progress.

What exactly is wrong with my views? Rochester is such a tight community, everyone's made a big deal about it, you guys are bros etc. I get it.

What I'm trying to make you realize is that until you get your actual smash skill up to par, you shouldn't even think about how big your name (or ego) is. People in the small community around you know your name? That's cool, but why should it matter to anyone else in another region? Or even a few hours away?

Everyone in this region is chill; I enjoy the company of everyone at tournaments, but the disconnect between Wanting To Be The Best, and actual skill is so large that I can't help but make fun of you when you talk big then underperform at tournaments.

And honorable mention implies that you were close to making the PR like Pyro was. Perhaps you should put yourself under the "ordinary mention" category.

EDIT: MANA YOU HAD BETTER KEEP PLAYING ZELDA
I accept all those MMs for $1 each, and I challenge you to another: Zelda dittos. You had better be practicing.
I kind of like it when Tsai posts this stuff. Not that I like seeing people's feeling hurts, but it's interesting to have someone in the community keep it real like this.

I think a lot of it is also the brain you were born with.

When I look at the people I play smash with. and I look at the people that excel, I see people like jesse, our friend PJ that went to HS with him refered to him as a genious once. I see neil, who, dispite his laziness and douchebaggery, is incredibly intelligent. I see san who is an engineering major at a nationally acclaimed college. And even if nobody besides tsai will admit it, I know Im definitely smart outside the game and its translated to in game as well.

Some people just have limits to how good they can be in the game sometimes.
[/QUOTE]

Two things Kyle. First off, I disagree highly with how people have limits to how good they can be in the game sometimes. I've thought about it a lot, and I'm actually planning on writing on it soon haha.

Second of all, are you saying PJ called me a genius once? Because I can't picture him saying that for some reason but I'm really curious as to if he said that

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
He did. It was a while back when I was randomly talking to him on aim, I think I was trying to talk him into coming to a tourney. And the conversation came onto you, and yea, he said hes known that about you since high school.

Also, to illustrate my other point.

I hope he doesnt see this cus I dont want to be a ****. But do you think somebody like Acton, with all youve seen of him thus far, could ever be as good at brawl as san?

alternatively, if you turned into mana and stopped practicing and never got any better than what you are now, do you even think its possible for amber to get past that level?

Not trying to diss or say anybody is stupid, but some people just seem to have predetermined mental and physical limits. Thats why ill never be truly great at melee because my physical mental connection isnt strong enough that ill never be able to have the tech skill to properly play any of the characters in the game that are better than doc and ganon. And why Silent wolf wont ever hit that top level because no matter how fast his hands can move, mentally, he just cant keep up with the m2ks and armadas of the world.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I kinda disagree with that. Some take longer to realize than others, but I do think everyone can become good level eventually. I played Silent Wolf at APEX, and he was a lot more impressive than I expected. Later on, I was told that he has stepped his game up.

True, many people never get to a certain level, but I think that's only due to lack of trying, or that they are going about it the wrong way.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
The mental and physical skill required to become the best in the world at Melee is something that anyone can achieve. Some people not only are naturally better at those qualities than others, but some people ALSO develop those skills faster while playing and practicing. It's all mentality. For example.

For a really good player, figuring a way around Sheik's Ftilt will take maybe an hour or two of concentrated thought, testing and practice. Dash dance near it, bait it, run in and grab it, and a few other ways maybe.

Someone whose mind isn't necessarily developed/geared towards competition, thinking of strategy, and maybe a mind that lacks expertise in the creative process in general...They can still develop those strategies on their own. The only difference is, it might take them 6-10 hours instead. That's pretty extreme actually, it will probably take them less time than that, but you get my example. Some people have to work harder for it.

I just talked to Amsah actually and asked him for some advice on reading people and controlling people and using information I've gathered against them. (It was actually a much more complicated question than that, but that was the general idea) He gave me some indirect advice, but when I asked him about it he said, "I don't know, reading my opponent always came naturally to me so I can't give you much advice on that."

Getting to the level of reading people that I can do now took me so much time and hard work, and now I'm trying to take it to the next level, and it's just not something that's coming naturally. Sucks for me, Amsah could just do it from the beginning. Now for me to get to his level (Which I definitely will) I have to work much harder. The process goes like this:

1. Pre-Identify as many situations as I can see in Melee
2. Pre-Identify vs. the character that my opponent plays every option he has
3. In game, focus on those situations when they come up, and figure out actions I can execute that will generate a reaction from my opponent. If I've done my work properly, the reaction(s) that I get will match up with an option that I've identified in step #2
4. Think of the most efficient way to punish those options, based off stage position, percent and character selection.
5. Then lastly, perfecting the execution

Amsah just reads people. He understands all that stuff that I just laid out above, but he doesn't have to work nearly as hard in that aspect of his game to know all that stuff and to perform the above action. (Which is just reading your opponent)

Also, in order for me to be able to read the highest level of opponents like Amsah or Mango, I will most likely either have to play against high level opponents for a long period of time, or be an absolute expert at video watching. Why?

Because the options my opponents can come up with get better and more creative the higher level of play I get to. So, even if I can read people at my level and below with 100% accuracy (Which I can't do and is nearly impossible anyways), when I play better people their reactions to my tests become better and harder to punish.

So if I'm playing someone either better than me or with an unfamiliar playstyle, and I do something to get a reaction out of them and they do something I didn't expect, not only does it catch me off guard but now I have to mentally, on the fly, come up with a way to counter that, and then somehow think of the most optimal way to punish it.

To Amsah, doing that to him isn't as hard as it is for say, M2K, which is why M2K put in so much time thinking of strategies...To make sure he was prepared for everything. However, M2K could learn to have the reading and prediction abilities of Mango/Amsah if he developed them. Instead though, he focuses his efforts on making up strategies and having perfect execution. And, that's highly effective and unique. No one plays like M2K, and that's good.

I've talked enough really, but the point is even if nothing in the game comes naturally to you, I believe anyone has the ability to develop those skills....Even if it takes them much longer than other people.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Pyro- On one hand, the amount of drama going on in here seems kind of silly, but on the other hand, if everyone who's actually dissing each other uses that as motivation to get better, then they will improve. Also, there's nothing wrong with a little tension between players.

I always try to use everything to my advantage in my goal to improve, even if it's not in the Smash game. If someone disses me online or IRL, I use it for 2 things.

1.Motivation
2.A challenge to remain calm and build an unbreakable mentality. If you can remain calm while people are dissing you and not let it affect you, only motivate you...That's a skill that not only every Smasher should have, but every competitor. And it's so hard to get to that point, it's a challenge. So, the more people trash talk me and say stuff, it's actually leveling me up in that area, if that makes sense.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
WTF HOW DARE YOU! That's not even cool dude wow. I thought we were friends. You're just dumb and you don't understand what it means. Wow why don't you try understanding it before making fun of it. What an idiot. Play me to watch my immovability and silence and elegance and fierceness.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Okay, a few things.

First, f*ck you.

Second, f*ck you.

Third, you are fierce. Especially when you've had some Taco Bell in you.

Fourth, you would be immovable and silent, except for those twitches you get when you're about to blatantly upsmash someone with Falco and when you giggle like JD's big/little sister after said upsmashes connect.

Sixth, you are quite elegant, can't take that away from you.

Seventh (just like the FF of the same number...LAST), we are friends, I'm just keeping this sh*t madd real.

Foy is short.

Juni is hilarious.

Mike is tier wench. (Olé!)

JesiahTEG

Smash Master

First, f*ck you.

Second, f*ck you.

Fourth, you would be immovable and silent, except for those twitches you get when you're about to blatantly upsmash someone with Falco and when you giggle like JD's big/little sister after said upsmashes connect.

Seventh (just like the FF of the same number...LAST), we are friends, I'm just keeping this sh*t madd real.

Foy is short.

Juni is hilarious.

wanna buy me some tbell?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: You also have something else in your hands!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH~

WillE

Smash Cadet

First, f*ck you.

Second, f*ck you.

Foy is short.

Juni is hilarious.

wtf give yourself an infraction
i see censor dodging

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Pyro- On one hand, the amount of drama going on in here seems kind of silly, but on the other hand, if everyone who's actually dissing each other uses that as motivation to get better, then they will improve. Also, there's nothing wrong with a little tension between players.

I always try to use everything to my advantage in my goal to improve, even if it's not in the Smash game. If someone disses me online or IRL, I use it for 2 things.

1.Motivation
2.A challenge to remain calm and build an unbreakable mentality. If you can remain calm while people are dissing you and not let it affect you, only motivate you...That's a skill that not only every Smasher should have, but every competitor. And it's so hard to get to that point, it's a challenge. So, the more people trash talk me and say stuff, it's actually leveling me up in that area, if that makes sense.
I support trash talk. I dislike when people call each other bad (i'm guilty too i admit). Something about when people have put a lot of work into something, for people to call it awful, is just disappointing.

Foy

Smash Champion
About the same time I stopped caring for the community, after getting trash talked by Foy (of all people)
That trash talk wasnt serious hun. I was just upset and wanted to vent. I love you dudu and you bested me. Just want to let you know i still love you.

I just hate your puff.

Everything else is love.

Top Bottom