• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords

dudutsai

Smash Lord
To decide tournament set priority mattdotzeb and I had a rock paper scissors bo3 match. Threw three rocks and won... lol

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Win Loss Win. Also Zaaaaaaaaanddddaaa was there and I didn't get to meet him?

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (5 members and 0 guests)
dudutsai, tiger10x, darkoblivion12, VibeSlyph, RTF

I expect an answer from you, mister.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
I heard about evil ryu a ways back. Ain't he just a boss char?

Also, funny thing vibe: Abel is pretty much hated as the stupidest most generic and boring, brainless character in SSFIV. Of course, I don't really buy this, I kinda just like his fighting aesthetically speaking, but uh, I guess I can see why people might get upset over someone who combos you off your feet into a grab. Oh, and ultra 2 is sick.

Then again, this is also the community that gets mad at blanka because they can't punish balls. (Literally, they can't punish blanka balls. Devs got all up and radical about it for AE and nerfed it to hell.) So I don't really pay too much attention since I wouldn't want to play tounies in this game anywho.

TL;DR: I'm going to absolutely ****ing destroy my 250$ 3DS playing this ridiculously stupid game.

~Kyte

Smash Cadet
hey guys!!

i just got accepted in Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), and will attend college there for the next 4-5 years starting in september.

That being said, of course the first question on my mind is... how's the smash scene? i mainly play brawl, (i hear rochester is mainly melee?) just wondering how things look out with y'all

I'm coming from the seattle area, so the PacNW

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
RIT has biweekly brawl at two levels; casual + more intense and sometimes sub-tourney level Wednesdays, and generally somewhat more intense but relaxed fridays. The number of regular strong brawl players dipped a bit, but melee did too. That said, brawl scene can still keep you fairly interested, especially in the fall when we're a bit higher in numbers. We regularly have tournaments with Syracuse, Buffalo, Geneseo, and that one really good Ike player from cornell.
San

Key people in terms of organizing at RIT are JesiahTEG, Pyro(DarkOblivion,) and KIDGoggles. I'd help organize stuff if I was up there but I ain't.

So yeah, I'd say that your player base might be a touch stale on the weekly basis, but you can get plenty of smash in at all different levels. We had a great tourney over in syracuse just in october or so that pulled players from down in PA too, KT came and stomped us.

Minic

Smash Apprentice
I heard about evil ryu a ways back. Ain't he just a boss char?

Also, funny thing vibe: Abel is pretty much hated as the stupidest most generic and boring, brainless character in SSFIV. Of course, I don't really buy this, I kinda just like his fighting aesthetically speaking, but uh, I guess I can see why people might get upset over someone who combos you off your feet into a grab. Oh, and ultra 2 is sick.

Then again, this is also the community that gets mad at blanka because they can't punish balls. (Literally, they can't punish blanka balls. Devs got all up and radical about it for AE and nerfed it to hell.) So I don't really pay too much attention since I wouldn't want to play tounies in this game anywho.

TL;DR: I'm going to absolutely ****ing destroy my 250$ 3DS playing this ridiculously stupid game.
I think it's too ez to punish balls. Just about any charge character or character with a horizontal special attack can punish it and u can jab him out of the dam thing so mash it.

Abels ultra 2 is broken but the character itself, definitely not brainless. All u have to do i mash on jab if he ever gets in your ****. Mashing jab is apparently great in this game unless ur opponent is shoryu happy. He's a very technical character otherwise. If u want brainless try any shoto character.

~Kyte

Smash Cadet
lol thnx guys, im not terrible, so i'd be looking for some decent players to smash with (granted i have very little atm), im currently 17~th in the pac NW and about 10~th in WWa, carpool run to big tournies from there?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
hey guys!!

i just got accepted in Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), and will attend college there for the next 4-5 years starting in september.

That being said, of course the first question on my mind is... how's the smash scene? i mainly play brawl, (i hear rochester is mainly melee?) just wondering how things look out with y'all

RIT has biweekly brawl at two levels; casual + more intense and sometimes sub-tourney level Wednesdays, and generally somewhat more intense but relaxed fridays. The number of regular strong brawl players dipped a bit, but melee did too. That said, brawl scene can still keep you fairly interested, especially in the fall when we're a bit higher in numbers. We regularly have tournaments with Syracuse, Buffalo, Geneseo, and that one really good Ike player from cornell.
San

Key people in terms of organizing at RIT are JesiahTEG, Pyro(DarkOblivion,) and KIDGoggles. I'd help organize stuff if I was up there but I ain't.

So yeah, I'd say that your player base might be a touch stale on the weekly basis, but you can get plenty of smash in at all different levels. We had a great tourney over in syracuse just in october or so that pulled players from down in PA too, KT came and stomped us.
Pretty much this.
I am the one refered to as KIDGoggles above, and I think that for the most part, I will be your liaison for most smash related matters.

I'm the only person left in Rochester that plays the game seriously that plays every week.
Ive been getting back to being more consistent now that my job is over and I want to make sure to train up for pound. I have a LOT of people to money match.

I think it's too ez to punish balls. Just about any charge character or character with a horizontal special attack can punish it and u can jab him out of the dam thing so mash it.

Abels ultra 2 is broken but the character itself, definitely not brainless. All u have to do i mash on jab if he ever gets in your ****. Mashing jab is apparently great in this game unless ur opponent is shoryu happy. He's a very technical character otherwise. If u want brainless try any shoto character.
lets see, ryu, evil ryu, ken, akuma, oni, gouken, dan, sagat. i feel like im missing one or 2 but thats 8 shoto type characters right there. the game is basicaly based on them so obv. they are going to be the most basic characters.

@ ball spam, you can also walk forward and do any good range poke. iyea, theyre safe but I dont see why people feel the need to complain about it, theres much much worse things in the game...

Just found out "smash" can be slang for sex.
wow, you are so late, you might as well be pregnant.
lol thnx guys, im not terrible, so i'd be looking for some decent players to smash with (granted i have very little atm), im currently 17~th in the pac NW and about 10~th in WWa, carpool run to big tournies from there?
If you wish to get better, i will definitely help you. I am a very good coach.

MCmaniacDBR

Smash Apprentice
The top players around RIT include myself(Neil), kid goggles(Kyle), Dr grandpa aka dr garbs(Jason), and San(San). We're all equally terrible though.
Thats not all year round, you pretty much NEVER come to play smash anymore unless someone like san or Yannick is there, OR if it's the day before a tourney and you need practice. Also, san is not bad considering he's gotten 9th at like the past 3 nationals he's attended.

Ive been getting back to being more consistent now that my job is over and I want to make sure to train up for pound. I have a LOT of people to money match.
Well if you start coming every week again maybe Jason will come, since he won't come unless you do cuz he is a ***** like that.

~Kyte

Smash Cadet
thats awesome kid! tyvm! ill make sure to hit you up now and again if i need to know anything, im pumped to head over there (granted in like 7 months) xD

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
hey guys!!

Sup. I'm Pyro (Matt Caine on facebook), as Sheth (Donnie) pointed out. I run the RIT smash club. We haven't had much in the realms of brawl this year honestly. It's been a lot more melee really. Fridays have also been kinda boring recently (where the **** did all you people go?), but this year started off with around 30 people for the whole club. Smash club runs twice a week 8:00 on wednesdays and fridays in the SAU. Are you excite? anyways we're pretty cool like that. I usually provide setups n ****.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Nah, I know Abel's not that bad, but people do baww about him a fair deal. At any rate, he doesn't get the love that other newbies get, in general. It's like, I personally kind of like Abel, but after seeing enough of him, I can see why people hate him. Kind of like people hate el fuerte, it's just like, THIS CHARACTER. I mean, I'd hate fighting a legit fuerte, but that doesn't make the character or the player that good. Just, **** this damn coffee-frenzied wreslter.

I don't have a setup to play regularly, but I'm no no big fan of the shotos, though I get the general playstyle (it's hard not to.)

Main chars I like are:
Gouken, Abel, C. Viper, Makoto, Cody. In short, every character that I'd be better off playing AE for. I love the makoto style, but she's just so bad and clunky in SSFIV that I can't even take a jab at her.

Ah well, I'll see what I like after I grind the 3DS version in a month or so. I'll kinda actually know stuff after practicing on that.

Last note: wouldn't Rose be shoto-ish too, goggles? Not that much but still. Her fireballs are pretty silly, especially since you can mash super out of hitting one on a character that might actually have a full gauge sometimes.

Ah, someday, someday I'll find a game where I just happen to want to play a top tier character. THEN YOU'LL ALL BE SORRY.
And old.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
The top players around RIT include myself(Neil), kid goggles(Kyle), Dr grandpa aka dr garbs(Jason), and San(San). We're all equally terrible though.
false.

San is still a bit more terrible than me you and jason.

Well if you start coming every week again maybe Jason will come, since he won't come unless you do cuz he is a ***** like that.
yea... i know. If he thinks theres good people to practice with he'll come more often. so I gotta get chris and dark better.
thats awesome kid! tyvm! ill make sure to hit you up now and again if i need to know anything, im pumped to head over there (granted in like 7 months) xD

sure. let me know if you need anything. ill even hit you up with my number if you need it.

Sup. I'm Pyro (Matt Caine on facebook), as Sheth (Donnie) pointed out. I run the RIT smash club. ...
... Smash club runs twice a week 8:00 on wednesdays and fridays in the SAU. Are you excite? anyways we're pretty cool like that. I usually provide setups n ****.

this, also hit me up on facebook if you have it.

Just search KIDGoggles to fine me.

@ sheth.
i determine anybody that can employ the strat of shoot fireball until they jump over it, then SRK them, as a shoto. and they kinda have to have a spin kick too. which makes like half of the cast kind of shoto-ish tho not completely. rose and deejay are like that too.

@minh, how did that online tourney go son?

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Nah, I know Abel's not that bad, but people do baww about him a fair deal. At any rate, he doesn't get the love that other newbies get, in general. It's like, I personally kind of like Abel, but after seeing enough of him, I can see why people hate him. Kind of like people hate el fuerte, it's just like, THIS CHARACTER. I mean, I'd hate fighting a legit fuerte, but that doesn't make the character or the player that good. Just, **** this damn coffee-frenzied wreslter.

I don't have a setup to play regularly, but I'm no no big fan of the shotos, though I get the general playstyle (it's hard not to.)

Main chars I like are:
Gouken, Abel, C. Viper, Makoto, Cody. In short, every character that I'd be better off playing AE for. I love the makoto style, but she's just so bad and clunky in SSFIV that I can't even take a jab at her.

Ah well, I'll see what I like after I grind the 3DS version in a month or so. I'll kinda actually know stuff after practicing on that.

Last note: wouldn't Rose be shoto-ish too, goggles? Not that much but still. Her fireballs are pretty silly, especially since you can mash super out of hitting one on a character that might actually have a full gauge sometimes.

Ah, someday, someday I'll find a game where I just happen to want to play a top tier character. THEN YOU'LL ALL BE SORRY.
And old.
EXCUSE ME, SIR, LET ME EXPLAIN SOMETHING ABOUT THIS:

1. THIS IS A SMASHBOARDS PR THREAD. NOT A SOCIAL STREET FIGHTER FUN THREAD.
2. ABEL IS GOOD, BUT IS NOT GOING TO BE GOOD, SO QUIET.
3. DON'T WORRY ABOUT ABEL IN THIS THREAD, CAUSE IT'S A SMASHBOARDS PR THREAD, NOT A SOCIAL STREET FIGHTER FUN THREAD.

seriously, get on topic.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
jesiah's pretty good.

edit: how far is the gap between him and the rest of you? theres a pretty big gap between pp and the rest of NC, so i was wondering if you guys have a similar system with jesiah. hopefully i can play a lot of you guys at pound 5.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
I can't hear any of you over the sound of my Fox bending you over and riding you dirty.

@Black Chris:

Jesiah is a tier above everyone to be honest. On my best days I can potentially go even or take a few games off, but beating him in a tournament hasn't happened yet. I'm the next best, then PikaPika! and Minh. They are both a bit worse than me, but not by much. We only have about... four players (more if certain players were active <cough> Mana <cough>) that do well out of our own region. Foy is getting up there though, he just needs to develop his style and mix-ups more and he will be right along with those two soon.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
hmm ok. i only got a few friendlies with him, and then we played first round in tournament later that day. he learned way too much about my ganon in those 3-4 friendlies :urg:

are any of you guys looking to go to pound though? ya'll should get on that...i think the last day to get the hotel rooms are going quick...like...today.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
my pound car group is staying with a friend in the area.

i MAY enter melee singles for pound just for the potential to brag to steffon if i out place him or anybody else.

Top Bottom