• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
thats awesome kid! tyvm! ill make sure to hit you up now and again if i need to know anything, im pumped to head over there (granted in like 7 months) xD
We're a pretty cool region. A lot of us beat our chests on the forums though, there's definitely rivalries and a competitive scene and marathon training sessions and road trips and all that.

Mostly though we're pretty laid back. The Melee scene is pretty different from the Brawl scene too (only about 3-4 players overlap games) but you'll find competition in both.

~Kyte

Smash Cadet
im terrible at melee, though i do find it fun, never really had a reason to practice, if its big in rochester though i'd totally train up

Sharky

Smash Master
nobody in syracuse plays anymore, it's super depressing cause I'm not getting any practice for pound at this rate. =(

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Its actually very good if you go into it with the right mindset, its really good for muscle memory. since lag doesnt really affect things if you have to do a sequence of button presses the same way everytime.

Like, spindash bairs for me and ledge eggs for sharky is stuff that wifi is good for nailing down.

Also, it gets you a lot of matchup experience.

@sharkums.

that blows bro.
Time to hit up that MEW TWO KING STATUS.
cpus all daily.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
YO THEY SO SALTY FOR POSTING THAT LOL. I won that tournament anyways though. You need to get on that D1aos level though

Edit: And Jason needs to get on the d0n level

Slashy

Smash Lord
I heard you guys were going to host a tournament here at RIT. Let me know the details. If I'm running it, then I'll charge a venue fee (but at the same time make Brawl Minus a free tournament, so you basically know where I am going with this)

Minic

Smash Apprentice
Evo online tournaments ended up being better than i thought. i felt sry for 1 dude i was playing cuz it lagged every time he got a block string going. But at the end of the day i lost to a blanka... Problem wasn't that i couldn't punish his hoziontal ball but apparently the guy has like 3 ways to cross u up with ultra. i was only familiar with 2. Character is pretty gimicky but i don't mind losing to a legit blanka user that much. This game really is match up dependent.

I feel like i can bs my way through melee sometimes. However not the case with brawl tho.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you need to get better bs.

lol

im going to start linking lucas matches to you. so you know what a good one looks like and you can get better.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
I found out when my next two dates are for RPI for tournaments (in Troy/Albany). I can run stuff on February 26 and April 9. I'll probably post the Feb one pretty soon once I figure out what I'm doing.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
not to mention that if minh could pull his mouth off of street fighters **** for a minute, and put a solid 3 days to a week into brawl, he could probably beat vibe.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
Lol Kyle. I am not going to Pound. But you would never make it past second round pools. Get with it mah brah.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
I heard you guys were going to host a tournament here at RIT. Let me know the details. If I'm running it, then I'll charge a venue fee (but at the same time make Brawl Minus a free tournament, so you basically know where I am going with this)
Important

I was planning on running a tourney RIT. If anyone wants to have any input as to when this should be run, speak up now or I'm going to set a date and that will be it.

Minic

Smash Apprentice
hey my lucas ain't that bad. i'm able to take games off ppl in friendlies which is enough for me right now. I just have a hard time switching my mindset to brawl mode. You gotta approach that game way more patiently than melee because the neutral position gets reset more often than what im use to. I'll practice it if its lying around and ppl happen to be there but i guess i wont go out of my way to.

PoofyHair

Smash Journeyman
I'm down for a tournie...It would be nice to even have a few non-money ones just to practice and get some props. Or at least some cheaper like monthly things. If anyone is down for this I will help out too.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
I'm down for a tournie...It would be nice to even have a few non-money ones just to practice and get some props. Or at least some cheaper like monthly things. If anyone is down for this I will help out too.
go to smash club.

Also would anyone care if I set the tourney date to 2/12? 2/5 has lot's of tournies and I won't be around then anyway. And 2/19 is pound. yes?

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
not to mention that if minh could pull his mouth off of street fighters **** for a minute, and put a solid 3 days to a week into brawl, he could probably beat vibe.
Get off minh's ****.

Also, Lucas is like one of the worst characters with little potential imo. He has a lot of gimmicks but that's it. Lol.

@Snowman: You'll never get on the PR, cause' the OP is never gonna get updated.

PoofyHair

Smash Journeyman
dodgeball club.

Snowman your aim shouldn't be to get on the PR it should be to understand the game better so you can keep growing. You may be focusing on the wrong thing at the moment...*shrug*

PoofyHair

Smash Journeyman
Anyone down for a small Smashfest at my place towards the end of the quarter?

Just some time to chill and teach people etc and I can cook something up for everyone?

Top Bottom