• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

USB Gecko is the new Action Replay! (added potential goals)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
I'm not worried about Brawl's fanbase... I'm worried about the Smash fanbase as a whole... I'm worried that the divisions will cause the community to collapse upon itself... Perhaps my logic is not right on that... Perhaps I was scared by talk that Smash is on the decline...

However, I stand by opinion that Brawl needs time to develop... I feel that people are trying to push the metagame too fast ("we found everything worth finding in the first 3 months") or force its evolution to make it into something that people deem more playable ("high gravity or cheat device is necessary to save this game")...

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't matter whether or not we found everything there is to find, which we certainly probably did not. There is zero danger of this project halting the development of Brawl. None. Why do we need to wait 6 years to start modding the game for fun, if we have the options to do so? Who cares if there's still more to discover? If we can tailor Brawl to fit what we feel it should've been, on the side, why shouldn't we?

These "give Brawl a chance" arguments don't apply here. We're not throwing out Brawl, we're just presenting another option. People still play regular WC3 and Half Life, right?

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
Using a cheat device for friendlies and showing off is one thing, but using a cheat device to make the game something different is another...
I clearly stated that I have no problem with modding games for fun... I'm seriously done with this thread if everyone is going to keep misinterpreting my intentions... Why is there such need for these labels? "Melee 2.0", "Give Brawl a Chance"... People force these labels on other people and arguments in attempt to discredit them with nothing behind them whatsoever... It's ridiculous...

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Why not create more divisions among the Smash community? Before ya know it, we will have Brawl, Melee, device-modified Brawl, high grav Brawl, Brawl with items, Lightning Brawls...blah blah blah... That's exactly what we need right now...

Besides that, a cheat device won't do half the things people are asking for... It's still going to be a lot like Brawl when it's all said and done...
Have you ever gone to a real smash tournament, with pros? There ARE divisions. Chu and his friends will be playing poker, and any outsiders, while almost welcome, will feel incredibly alienated. Circles are formed, period. I seriously doubt that you go up and talk to someone you don't know that does well, unless you've read about them online and idolize them. Granted, I've talked to most of the big names in person, but that's just because I've got a little of that AZ arrogance going on.

Also, with how mindless 98% of the posters on smashboards are, I completely support being separated from them. Hence, making a board just for this. I only come to smashboards for news now. It's too full of idiots asking the same questions and telling us about the same "discoveries" that have been known since day one to be taken seriously.

What "we" need is a game that actually allows for depth and advancement as players. What "you" need is a social tournament game that you can play with anyone. You're also grossly exaggerating this. Lightning Brawl is NOT going to catch on as a competitive standard, and high grav, while more likely than lightning, isn't that effective either, due to ****** the crap out of some characters' recoveries(Sonic, anyone?). Even if tournaments did end up like that, anything aside from standard Brawl would have, at most, about 8-12 players, and that's in the upper-mid sized states, like CO, AZ, and the like. Ohio has what serious-minded competitive players, that would be willing to spend money on this? Right, almost forgot about that. Don't worry, your neck of the woods isn't going to be flooded with "modified" Brawl copies.

Seriously guys, let us do what we want to do. Your opinion is cool and all, but don't try to force your beliefs on us. This is like the abortion argument in that neither side is going to change their minds, at least not on a consistent enough basis to matter.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
LOL you know a game is mother effed up if you gota do this to enjoy it/ make it tournament worthy,

i for one. completely agree and thank you for sharing.

GofG

Smash Champion
High gravity is not an option. Lightning is not an option.

Don't even suggest them.

More to be edited in later.

kamakun

Smash Cadet
I have to disagree with this idea. Although peope might like having a Melee 2008 version, it will also break the Wifi. People already complain about others ruining their time, this will most likely cause more of it.

Coselm

Smash Ace
Well if we do end up deciding on a standard set of rules for codes (doubt it), then the competitive community will become even smaller and farther away from the casual community. And online play will be ruined. Goodbye Gamebattles. While I don't think Melee with 35 characters and new stages is a bad thing, why are people so hesitant to ride the brawl bus for a while and see where it takes us?

GofG

Smash Champion
Coselm, because the Brawl bus is already at the end of the line.

Wifi is already noncompetitive. IRL Tournies will be the only real competitive tournaments.

Cheesedork

Smash Apprentice
Dang, I had entered this thread hoping to see the Forbidden Seven's data hacked open and shown on video... instead I find you people arguing about turning Brawl back into Melee. Sakurai would be ashamed.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
lmao at this 'divisions' argument. It's completely pointless. There are already 'divisions' which were *included* in the game which people actively take part in. (Special Brawl, and Items On/Off if you must know...)

And it's not going to destroy the Wi-Fi. Whoever came up with this is an utter fool. The ENTIRE Smash population is NOT going to take part in this. I don't think anyone here suggested that EVERYONE use it ESPECIALLY when they go online. No, if you want to play online, you do it in the original mode. This idea is more for tournaments and competative purposeses. There is only going to be a select few who actually go through with this. It will not damage the online mode, which is beyond repair anyway.

The bottom line is that people who wish to use it can and will, and those who do not won't have to by any means. JUST LIKE ITEMS.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
Dang it, I already said I was wrong for bringing up the divisions thing! Why is it I get burned for my bad ideas and ignored whenever I have anything good to say? This is ending just like all my Brawl tournaments: I don't think before I act, and I end up losing in the end... :(

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Dang, I had entered this thread hoping to see the Forbidden Seven's data hacked open and shown on video... instead I find you people arguing about turning Brawl back into Melee. Sakurai would be ashamed.
Sakurai would be ashamed of us? I'm ashamed of Sakurai. Who cares what Sakurai thinks?

The Forbidden Seven can't be "hacked open" because they're the barest fragments of data. There's hardly anything there, at all. It's not a matter of restoring capped functionality, they were just fragments of ideas, barely even names in the code, that were very early decided against and ignored. Those characters aren't just waiting in there for us to find them, they're barely more than early notes.

kamakun

Smash Cadet
kinetic-cajun, perhaps you haven't thought of what's actually going to happen. All it takes it one person to start it. Someone goes onto random and have Pit's arrows kill instantly, then someone wonders how that happened. The look online. Woah! It's a USB gecko! It can make me win instantly! *Buys*

It's happened before. I have a prime example for the DS. Have you ever heard of Jump Ultimate Stars? Go onto the Gamefaqs forums and make a topic asking "How did people find out about hacking on Random?"

You'll get your answer

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, kamakun, but it doesn't matter what we do with USB Gecko, in terms of that.

USB Gecko simply exists. If it can be used to cheat online, then people who would use it so already know, and they'll do it regardless of what happens here. Even if we abandon this idea completely, USB Gecko is still going to exist, and is still going to be usable for cheating, and probably will be used for cheating.

So.. what does it matter? If people want to use USB Gecko to cheat, they are going to, regardless of anything this idea accomplishes. We're not trying to use it to cheat. We're using a potential cheat device for a more ambitious, honest goal. We're not bad guys, and it's too late to "shut down" anyone who wants to use USB Gecko to cheat. If it's possible to cheat, people are going to cheat.

If people are capable and willing to cheat, it does not matter at all what we do. If we pursue this project, they'll cheat on Wifi, and if we don't pursue this project? They'll still cheat on Wifi.

The malice of others shouldn't interfere with our honest goals, particularly when our goals have no impact on whether or not that malice happens.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Coselm, because the Brawl bus is already at the end of the line.

Wifi is already noncompetitive. IRL Tournies will be the only real competitive tournaments.
Continuing with this rediculous metaphor, the brawl bus isnt at the end of the line. It just paused at one bus station along the way and so many people are getting off too early.

And while wifi isnt the best it can be mainly due to lag, its not a big deal if real life tournies are the only real competitive ones. Thats how it was in melee anyway and we all did just fine.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
If you guys succeed with this... all the ****ing moronic 14 year olds will hopefully get the **** off this site and it might not be some stupid piece of **** anymore.

God-****ing-speed

Brandon72196

Smash Apprentice
PEOPLE! The people arguing about Wi-Fi probbaly never read my post.. You can't go on wifi UNLESS the people you are playing with have changed the same values.. If you try to join a game you will get disconnected.

Ralucard

Smash Cadet
that would be nice yes. More things to learn, It'll be a whole new game, kinda.

Anyway about that talk of that the online play will be destroyed, I actually don't think it will. I think a whole bunch of errors will occur when the other player plays on other conditions than his competitor. So maybe it would be duable if the 2 players played on the exact same conditions, and if that's the way it'll work you wont have to worry about cheating since you will play on the same conditions. But anyway I think taking this online will be one hell of a tough nut to crack, but if they do succed, well, congratulations.

Oh btw, while you're at it, make Tabuu playable. I want him to be my main.

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
PEOPLE! The people arguing about Wi-Fi probbaly never read my post.. You can't go on wifi UNLESS the people you are playing with have changed the same values.. If you try to join a game you will get disconnected.
Then how come I'm constantly playing people with infinite bullet bills and stars on Mario Kart DS?

Brandon72196

Smash Apprentice
Then how come I'm constantly playing people with infinite bullet bills and stars on Mario Kart DS?
Because thats not changing the machanics all together. Thats just changing the number of items some one has, now if some one changed a value to go super fast, then they can not join. I do agree it is VERY annoying tho =(.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
I know people who would use it to remove tripping a heartbeat. It's definitely an awesome innovation in the cheat device department.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
this is very, very interesting. i would love to see this project completed.

D

Deleted member

gonna be honest here... I'm a brawl noob, wasn't competitive in melee at all.

But that makes this idea even more interesting, I would love to see a newer, faster, combo-ey version of brawl.

Although it will be hard to do... I support it

Cheesedork

Smash Apprentice
cant be worse than the Melee 0.5 with a graphics update we are playing right now
Hey, buddy, let me clue you in. This isn't Melee #.#
IT'S BRAWL!!!
I can understand if you people like Melee better (I don't even compare them), but this mutilation of Brawl is sad.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
@Cheesedork, yeah, Counterstrike and DotA should really be ashamed of themselves, right?

@Super Wec, we like the game. *OH MY GOD GASP WHAT HE SAY?!!!1* Yeah. We like Brawl. So why should we leave? We're considering different ways to play it, not replacement ways to play it.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
this is very, very interesting. i would love to see this project completed.
Tom is so sexy when he is right.
:3 I really just want someone to 3 stock me in Brawl when I'm camping. But it doesn't happen.
>.> I even got at least 1 stock off of PC Chris at Esticle when camping, and the skill gap is still pretty big cause he's frikken PC. I know for a fact he'd 8 stock me in a 2/3 match in Melee.

:| Brawl just uses less skill to be good at. Sakurai says it, we've played it, its the truth guys.

We know what makes it fundamentally easier, and if we can reverse it, then I have my fingers crossed that we do.

Here's to a decent competitive fighter to replace Melee in the Smash realm!
-DD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom