• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uses of wavedashing?

Fabolous Golden Falcon

Smash Rookie
Recently, I've started to practice wavedashing. I still need some practice, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Just so you know, my mains are :lucas: and :luigi2:.

With :luigi2:, I understand that wavedashing is a solid approaching option. However, I'm having trouble applying wavedashing to my :lucas: play. So, aside from approaching, what can I use wavedashing for?

Edit: It's not just with Lucas. I'm having trouble implementing wavedashig into my play with any character besides :luigi2:.

Last edited:

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
No worries. It's tough to get to a point where WDing is a natural, reflexive thing for you. A lot of players struggle with this when they're working on improving their smash game.

The advice I always give people if they're having trouble is to play as Marth, because WDing backward and then fsmashing is a really simple, satisfying way to glue everything together. You might not need to do this, though, cause Luigi has an insane WD and there's a ton of great options he has with it.

Just curious - how good's your consistency? Can you WD reliably now, or do you still miss it every now and then? Everyone flubs a WD here and there, but if you're missing 1 in every 5 or something like that, it could be worth it to just focus on actually WDing successfully in matches.

Luigi would be good practice for this. You could get up in someone's face, and then WD backwards to retreat. If you get to a point where you start doing that consistently, you might feel more comfortable with all the characters.

And then maybe what you can do is play a character you're less comfortable with that still has a really nice WD, like Samoose or Ice Climbers. You'll be out of your comfort zone, but still playing someone where the benefits of WD are clear.

Also if you need someone to play against let me know! I'm still working on WD myself (I main DK so it's always been a kind of weird tech for me, which is why I practice my WD on characters like Marth and ICies mostly), so we might be around the same level.

Fabolous Golden Falcon

Smash Rookie
No worries. It's tough to get to a point where WDing is a natural, reflexive thing for you. A lot of players struggle with this when they're working on improving their smash game.

The advice I always give people if they're having trouble is to play as Marth, because WDing backward and then fsmashing is a really simple, satisfying way to glue everything together. You might not need to do this, though, cause Luigi has an insane WD and there's a ton of great options he has with it.

Just curious - how good's your consistency? Can you WD reliably now, or do you still miss it every now and then? Everyone flubs a WD here and there, but if you're missing 1 in every 5 or something like that, it could be worth it to just focus on actually WDing successfully in matches.

Luigi would be good practice for this. You could get up in someone's face, and then WD backwards to retreat. If you get to a point where you start doing that consistently, you might feel more comfortable with all the characters.

And then maybe what you can do is play a character you're less comfortable with that still has a really nice WD, like Samoose or Ice Climbers. You'll be out of your comfort zone, but still playing someone where the benefits of WD are clear.

Also if you need someone to play against let me know! I'm still working on WD myself (I main DK so it's always been a kind of weird tech for me, which is why I practice my WD on characters like Marth and ICies mostly), so we might be around the same level.
Thanks for your response!

I'm not very good at it yet. About 1 out of 10 times I try, I miss. In fact, I'm not that good at the game to begin with as of right now. I'm trying to get to the point where I can reliably beat every Lvl. 9 CPU without too much trouble. Once I reach that point, I'm going to start searching for real people to play with.

GanondorkMSK!

Smash Rookie
I play:lucas:, and his WD is pretty good. I usually use it when someone is approaching you, then dash or WD forward and grab. People will usually not be able to react quick enough or not chase after you.
His grab range is what pretty much secures this, and Lucas' grabs are amazing.

You could also use it to get momentum and throw out a down B to start a combo.

yttik

I'm trying to get to the point where I can reliably beat every Lvl. 9 CPU without too much trouble.
I wouldn't do that if I were you, learning to beat level 9s will just train you to be good at fighting CPUs, and you'll be bad when fighting real people. You don't really need to be good at the game to beat a CPU, you just need to know how to exploit it and know what it will do in certain cituations, fighting a human isn't like this - for now, beat up level 1s/ play training mode.

Also another thing, practise wavedashing on your mains and only your mains for now, not switch to a character who has an easier wavedash. Eventually you'll be able to do it with every character but for now it's better to train the muscle memory for one or two specific timings rather than using Luigi/ ICs/ Squirtle/ Marth etc to practise. But, y'know, you play Luigi so, do do it with him of course.

Wavedashes allow you to make fast movements without being restricted to the limited options given to you by simply dashing. I'm not too familiar with Lucas and his specific uses for this though. Every character can use wavedashing backwards to grab the ledge, allowing for a quick edgehog. You can use wavedashing/wavelanding to mix up your movement, making it more smooth and confusing, or use it with dashing to improve your dash dance range or for mixups. Since you can jump out of sheild, you can wavedash out of sheild, giving you another option out of sheild, this is super useful, you don't want to just be rolling away all the time, rolls have lag and wavedashes do not. And I guess sort of an obvious use for wavedashing is just, to move a little tiny bit. I dunno, for example, your opponents at the ledge, you want to back away so you don't get hit by an offensive return to the stage but are still close enough to punish some of the ledge options, so you wavedash back, this way you position yourself super quickly and are still facing the same direction you were before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom