• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Side-B to Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Sorry if there is a thread that covers this, but I'm just wondering if there are any good situations to attack with Angel Ring (or side-b...Pit mains are one of the only communities that actually use the official move names lol)

It has a very long range and comes out quite fast so it could be useful
but it doesn't seem to have much potential for damage, plus it has a pretty nasty windown lag. It can punish spotdodges, but jab combos and just smart play is better.

i imagine that against certain characters you could troll someone while their shielding, because i guess you can't shield grab it or attack it out of shield, unless you're marth or MK

iono. just wondering what we know about this

Zulo

Smash Ace
It catches people by surprise a lot, so you should use it occasionally as a mixup. I sometimes use it out of an infinite jab, or reverse it as I'm running away from someone. You should learn how to do the AR tech that slides you forward upon landing, that can rack up some good damage. I guess you could also use it against Fox or Olimar hitting you with projectiles, to reflect them and do damage. Oh, it's also great for catching Snake and Pikachu in their mortar and thunder. Reflects it back at them and gives AR damage.

Those are just ideas, and there usually are better choices than AR, like I said though it's a good mixup. Hard to punish by some characters if you do it right.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Good landing mix-up. Good approach mix-up. Good b-reverse mix-up. Good shield pressure. 14+dmg if hit right. Ya, it's basically a very good mix-up move that adds shield pressure which lets us shield poke even better and pit is one of the best charactres in the game at that. Bair/fair through shield all day baby.:laugh: It also has a windbox at the end making it harder to punish.

Also, sorry but next time any question like this can be posted in the Q&A thread instead. This makes us more disorganized and we don't need random threads.

Roxy close this please.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
run behind people and b reverse it, does plenty of damage.
ART kicks *** from any height.
using it to force people off the ledge by pushing them with it can lead to eating their jump and an easy gimp when you are holding them right there at the edge with it.
when people are chasing you, run away and when they get close b reverse it, catches em off guard and racks up good damage.
landing with it on people who are shielding is nice as it forces them to get hit by it or let their shield break.
landing on some1 with it and then doing jab at auto cancel height owns.
landing and using it imediately after the landing takes people by suprise and based on where they were can lead to edgeguarding or something.
doing AR so that it pushes them and you offstage while still doing it can eat their jump and get an easy gimp.
jab cancel or double jab cancel into AR is pretty suprising and does good damage.
fast fallers get screwed by it harder than most especially near the edge.
the wind box can make it hard to punish if you are using it to eat someone's shield or stop something like snake's mortar slide.
start it on the second line back from the ledge at YI and it will be angled over the ledge making an impassible roof and ledge guard on certain characters and recovery moves.
it can be used to cancel out phantasms.
if fox sits in his reflector arrow loop>AR can do the OHKO

i like using AR a lot. i've studied it thoroughly.
:):p:)

definately use the QA thread next time tho

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Maharba covered a lot I guess.

I also use it to defend myself in the air when trying to land since the hitboxes cover a wide range, its like a wall that pushes people away with wind.

And I don't know what you're talking about with the name thing. Other characters use their move names instead of button inputs:

MK mains say nado and shuttle loop
Marfs say DB and shieldbreaker
Pikachus say QA and skull bash and tjolt
Minks say rest

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Kuro was right.

AR is kind of like an aerial grab in the sense that it gives Pit an extra option while landing. Thats why it is awesome since it means they can't just shield and abuse landing lag. The other reasons in this thread are just icing on the cake.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
It can also be punished on whiff by Ganon's FSmash. Make sure it lands or any character with any range will be smashing you hard.

Also a bad option against Marth, as I'm pretty sure he can Dolphin Slash through it.

Don't whiff it.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
ya. don't use against marth because it's a fact that he can dolphin it.

however, it pretty much can't be punished on whiff by ganon's fsmash. the wind box pushes him out of range like it does most characters. warlock kick however......

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
If the angel ring hits an item on the ground ( gyro, warios bike), it becomes Pit's item. In other words if Rob tries to pick up the gyro, it would damage him and therefore could not pick it up. As for Wario, if Wario tosses the bike and it bounces off the ground and you AR the bike, Wario gets hit by the bike instead.

link2702

Smash Champion
i've never got it to work (cuz i never play the stage enough and when i do it never transforms at the time when i need it when i play as pit but....)

on pictochat wouldn't it be deadly trap move when the stage transforms to where their is a giant slanted platform line(don't know how else to say it..)

the one where you CAN'T jump through the top.

couldn't u you angel ring in this situation if you get someone down there and trap em there till the stage transforms again?

but then again i suppose you could use alot of moves in this same situation.....*coughfalcosjabcough*...

anyway.....

normally i just use it as a supprise to catch folks off guard.

just....not against snakes or metaknights... e_o bad idea...very bad....

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i actually advocate using this in one situation against MK.

when he is chasing you with his superior running speed, when he is getting close or you think he will DA, pivot AR and just hold it there for a lil bit. they always over rate their amazing DA but AR eats it right up (or maybe im just good at the timing as i've always gotten them in the beginning DA frames).

and against snake, do it when he is mortar sliding at you. stops him in his tracks and reflects the mortar allowing you to create a favorable situation. not really any other time tho....

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
i actually advocate using this in one situation against MK.

when he is chasing you with his superior running speed, when he is getting close or you think he will DA, pivot AR and just hold it there for a lil bit. they always over rate their amazing DA but AR eats it right up (or maybe im just good at the timing as i've always gotten them in the beginning DA frames).

and against snake, do it when he is mortar sliding at you. stops him in his tracks and reflects the mortar allowing you to create a favorable situation. not really any other time tho....
@link well, depends. It's pretty ez to sdi even against a wall. Might be just me cuz im good at sdi and practice it but ik a couple friends who are average and can do it.

@maha In the snake situation i'd just prefer to grab. Ya i have used b-reverse AR in certain situations against mk.

One thing i don't know though...does AR count as only a single slot in the move refresh 9?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Yes.

Afaik the only multi-hit move in the game that counts for multiple spots is Aura Sphere Charge.

link2702

Smash Champion
@kuro, but the problem is, is this wall is at a slant where the oppenent really has no where to DI towards except closer to pit, the top of the slant is a roof so they can't DI up because its not a platform taht lets them go through it, and they're trapped at the bottom because they eventually the slant reaches a point where they are trapped against the wall... i really don't know how else to explain it...

i can't find a picture of it atm...

but really as i see it i can't see anyway to DI out of pits side b when its in this particular transformation....course....then i can't see how you could DI out of alot of characters jab infinates in this area...

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
you smash DI multiple times behind them along with tap DI behind them. i know wat you're talking about and while some people may not be able to di out, it is because they aren't doing it good enough. Double Jab cancel trap on the other hand......

Esca

Smash Champion
I think Pit's side-b is his worst move. Against top players, don't use it once or it's more than likely a stock loss.

Hell, even I can DI out in 3-4%.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
It's definitely situational. Not like we can spam it anymore like in 08, but if you want to go for a hard read, I would advocate it.

Top 5 moves with Pit I don't feel comfortable using most of the time:
Angel Ring
Ftilt
nair
Glair
woi unless I wing refreshed

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
It's definitely situational. Not like we can spam it anymore like in 08, but if you want to go for a hard read, I would advocate it.

Top 5 moves with Pit I don't feel comfortable using most of the time:
Angel Ring
Ftilt
nair
Glair
woi unless I wing refreshed
I see Earth/Masashi using Side-b...a LOT. It's situational, but it definitely covers areas well. I agree w/ your list, and I think those moves just take more practice and are more situational. I've gotten better w/ using nair--it's a really great move to keep up combos. And the only Pit I see using Glair well is smashragde, but he never posts... WOI--has potential, but I haven't learned how to use that move or control it well enough yet. F-tilt is a little fuzzy since it's slow, but it's the same speed as Wario's f-tilt(14frames)!!! So we can probably get more use out of that move in the future.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
It's all about timing blubo. There is a way to SHART and FHART (lol), and it can randomly happen if you use AR while falling because the boost is created on every 11th frame or something so there is like a 9% chance for the ART boost when landing on the ground with AR.

For a full hop I listen for Pit to make the "hup!" sound and immediately use it, pretty much at the full height of his full hop. Short hop ART is like a short pause while jumping then using it. It's hard to do whenever you want unless you've got the timing down perfect and you do it all the time.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
FHART, you can also do it as soon as you start the jump. trick to that is you have to jump a lil bit forward, peak, and then move backwards as you come down. i have a good example of it in Power Overwhelming (look it up in the new age CV thread) at the end of the first song.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Q and A threads are the primary reason that character based forums are next to useless.
there is never any in depth discussion about any subject, just a question, 2 or 3 quick responses then the subject is changed.

ive gotten wayy more information in this thread than I would have by using the QandA thread.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
true. a lot of it is documented already tho in the ultimate guide. however their are some uses in here that aren't in the ULTIMATE GUIDE and we all did go pretty in depth.

gotta say though we do pretty thorough answers in the QA here too. it's how we roll(dodge) :awesome:

Lame~

Smash Rookie
From my experience... Yeah, it's a terrible move if you spam it out for a long time. SH retreating AR once works very well when covering the ledge. This works well if you notice your opponent likes to air dodge back to stage. Also, it works great to push your opponent off the edge if they're by it. I agree, it's situational, but definitely has its perks. The main idea is to make the duration as short as you can (only the initiating duration) unless they're shielding your AR then punish them til it hits.

fUddO

Smash Ace
I've been using AR a lot more recently. It really is a high risk-return move. Abusing the wind hitbox at the end is also great for setting up punishes since people tend to misjudge the range. Unless it's Lucario. AR is pretty much a free Fsmash for Lucario :(

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Stop asking me to close **** Kuro. I'm pretty certain I've told people just to PM me for that kind of stuff.
Yes, cuz me saying the almight ROXY'S name in an attempt to have OUR mod get the job done is an unforgiveable sin. If i honestly cared enough that this be closed i WOULD of pm'd. ****'s not that big a deal. Calm down bro. This is exactly why pit boards need a pit boards mod like 70% of the other character boards have.

Purple

Hi guys!
1) Why say it if you don't want it to happen in the first place?

2) The pit boards are extremely small, and having another person of power where you do little of no work is unnecessary

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
1) Why say it if you don't want it to happen in the first place?

2) The pit boards are extremely small, and having another person of power where you do little of no work is unnecessary
Wanting it to happen and caring enough to push for it to happen are two different subjects.

Did i Want yes. Care no. Cuz this whole site is for a videogame, a hobby. So what if theres clutter? These things die and disappear on their own 90% of the time anyways. But it is a "needless" or "spam" thread technically which is why i mentioned it. Cuz that's one of the mods appointed tasks. I didn't say along with you. I said one mod FOR the pit boards. That's actually active in the community. It makes everything better. So much better. I mean ya, i'm glad we AT LEAST have you instead of nothing (cuz you have done some nice/helpful things) like for so long we did. But not having a mod who's at least actively around or even better in the community is just...ugh :mad: :(

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
make kuro a mod. hes the only person qualified to mod these boards as he is actively involved and uses the character. if you were more active and/or mained pit that would be fine, but you last time you were here was so long ago i can't even remember.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
We may be a bit small, but at least we are active :). Thats more than you can say for some boards.

Anyways, really the only times I use Angel Ring is when I want to punish

The one other thing I do is Angel Ring out of a cancelled glide. I glide away from the opponent, cancel the glide and then Angel Ring in the opposite direction. Its decent since most people will try to chase.

This was actually a good discussion thread, I'm glad it wasn't closed.
I agree.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
I agree that there should be a Pit mod here. I know Corrupted Fate did an excellent job modding here until he had to go away. It's a shame that the Pit's couldn't find a new mod that posted on the Pit boards.

I completely agree, though, that Kuro should be made mod. He's made a new Match Up thread and has actually made the Pit boards active again, which is a great step forward from the times that the only thing active was the Pit social.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I agree that there should be a Pit mod here. I know Corrupted Fate did an excellent job modding here until he had to go away. It's a shame that the Pit's couldn't find a new mod that posted on the Pit boards.

I completely agree, though, that Kuro should be made mod. He's made a new Match Up thread and has actually made the Pit boards active again, which is a great step forward from the times that the only thing active was the Pit social.
Ik even if it's not me someone at least actively on would be better. I mean roxy's never even around here how can he be a good mod for us.( No offense) 80% of the character boards have their own mod that is actively around and participating. I've tried pming roxy inquiring about how to go about it. With no response. In fact, every time i have pm roxy he never has once responded to me. When i asked him to unclose my mu thread he came on and said
I definitely asked everyone about their thread, The point of the guide thread is to post all conversation in this particular thread.

W/e though, thread unlocked; PM next time, because i only check this section sparingly.
I definitely pm'd him about that as well as on how i could possibly become one. Both with no response. Just saiyan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom