• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Up B in the air as an offensive move.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
It does around 30 damage if timed properly, and I'm wondering why no one uses this trick. I think it would be fairly effective as a damage builder, especially if you short hop out of your shield and up b next your opponent while tilting left or right.

Umby

Smash Master
It is used. Just very rarely. The main reason being if you don't get that last hit off, you've left yourself vulnerable to an aerial. Plus Link's U-Air is better for juggling, and coming from under the opponent, it's harder to get past if they actually decide to come at you. You even have bombs for floaty characters.

Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
The developers making the game probably hoped that it would work like how your picturing right now. However, the Up+B for Link as an offensive air move is a big no no to a certain degree. Most characters will fall right through it even after being hit by it, or they will DI out of it. So all in all its very hard to use effectively. Now not to say that you can't do it because you can, but you have to take into effect what character your going against, what dmg they are at, and if you actually going to get it off.

The move itself was suppose like how your thinking. Same thing with Samus' Up+B but they fixed that in a later game release. Just never Link's. Lets just hope they fix that in Brawl. I haven't had time to proof read this since I'm really tired. I might have misspelled a whole lot of things or just used the wrong words completely, but I hope you understand what I'm getting at.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
The developers making the game probably hoped that it would work like how your picturing right now. However, the Up+B for Link as an offensive air move is a big no no to a certain degree. Most characters will fall right through it even after being hit by it, or they will DI out of it. So all in all its very hard to use effectively. Now not to say that you can't do it because you can, but you have to take into effect what character your going against, what dmg they are at, and if you actually going to get it off.

The move itself was suppose like how your thinking. Same thing with Samus' Up+B but they fixed that in a later game release. Just never Link's. Lets just hope they fix that in Brawl. I haven't had time to proof read this since I'm really tired. I might have misspelled a whole lot of things or just used the wrong words completely, but I hope you understand what I'm getting at.
You seem to be completely underestimating the

SCRAHHHHHHHHHH

sincityserious

Smash Apprentice
MattDotZeb;3154937es said:
...I think it would be fairly effective as a damage builder, especially if you short hop out of your shield and up b next your opponent while tilting left or right.
lol...you can't be serious.

Levitas

the moon
He posted this in the Ness boards too. I'm gonna check other char. boards for this, looks like complete spam.

D

Deleted member

only time i ever use this trick is if my friends get caught in it while we're having an off stage mid air battle lol (and it does kill really easily if you catch them at the end of the spinning animation)

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I think he IS underestimating the SCRAHHHHHHHHHH. This isn't good.
Hey he's your link main... you must teach him the ways of the SCRAHHHHHHHHH if he hopes to be successful, i am but a wandering Bowser main who only knows of its magic thanks to a Skler who has mastered Sklering

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
Hey he's your link main... you must teach him the ways of the SCRAHHHHHHHHH if he hopes to be successful, i am but a wandering Bowser main who only knows of its magic thanks to a Skler who has mastered Sklering
Bowser has a ghetto SCRAAHH! It's actually more like VVVEEEEERRRR.... But we can pretend ;)

-JO-

Smash Rookie
I use the spin attack in the air as an finishing move:
If i juggled my opponent and he is high in the air, I double jump to him and I use the last hit to send him out of the stage. Why? Because if you make an uair and you dont hit him, you ll be punished for that. The spin attack has a long range and I think its difficult to miss it.

Lightshade

Smash Ace
hahahahah that's bull****. You know how to play plenty of characters well. Not to mention skyler has an awesome Link on his hands too.

Umby

Smash Master
I use the spin attack in the air as an finishing move:
If i juggled my opponent and he is high in the air, I double jump to him and I use the last hit to send him out of the stage. Why? Because if you make an uair and you dont hit him, you ll be punished for that. The spin attack has a long range and I think its difficult to miss it.
Only time you you'll probably be punished is if you use an up air and the opponent is not above you. It's easier to be punished from missing with Up B because an opponent can DI out of or fast fall through the first few hits (if he isn't caught in close range to Link), completely avoiding the final slice. Not to mention it can't be SHFFL'd like the U Air can. Sure, the Up + B gets better horizontal range, but it's more a question of whether or not you can get that last hit off consistently or not.

BrimeZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBrimeZ
3DS FC
5284-1495-9667
I like to pursue the enemy who is trying to recover back on the stage horizontally by DI below the stage and use the spin attack and grab back on the ledge. Even if the Spin attack misses, the opponent usually can get back on the stage because you are all ready grabbed on the ledge

sincityserious

Smash Apprentice
He is, hence the thread being made, he's not pixel so this must be serious. Get over it.
lol...get over it? you say. such ignorance. how dare you assume nothing you know about, and i'm speaking as broadly as possible. furthermore, pixel is nothing but laughable.

Niko_K

Smash Master
I love using up b as an offensive aerial move, I usually use it at the end of a combo (which ends on an Utilt + a) Just the Utilt + a and UP + B deals a ton of damage in itself...plus the combo I can get some characters to 80+ in one combo.

Oh, and Up B spiking ftw

sincityserious

Smash Apprentice
I love using up b as an offensive aerial move, I usually use it at the end of a combo (which ends on an Utilt + a) Just the Utilt + a and UP + B deals a ton of damage in itself...plus the combo I can get some characters to 80+ in one combo.

Oh, and Up B spiking ftw
haha...even newbies should be able to tell you have no experience whatsoever.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Did you really need to insult me? I was putting my feedback into the thread and I get called out for it. Sorry for not being elite at this game.

Sliq

Smash Master
Did you really need to insult me? I was putting my feedback into the thread and I get called out for it. Sorry for not being elite at this game.
That's what happens when you say something stupid: you get embarrassed.

Niko_K

Smash Master
I never was embarrassed, I gave my input towards the thread and got flamed for it. What I said didn't deserve any insults.

>.<

Sliq

Smash Master
I never was embarrassed, I gave my input towards the thread and got flamed for it. What I said didn't deserve any insults.

>.<
I meant get embarrassed as in someone will embarrass you, usually via insults.

Also, FYI, I laughed at your other post about RC, the involving using projectiles and "wavedashing a lot."

Niko_K

Smash Master
I meant wavedashing through the platforms, it tends to help me out when I play on RC. Makes it easier for me to predict their movements.

Top Bottom