• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
So posted a screenshot of Chris' post on his tournament's facebook page, he deleted it and blocked me.

This. Kid.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
*sigh* Okay, lemme talk about Chris here. Chris, you're probably going to ignore because you refuse to face bettering your ACTUAL self, but still, I have some inkling of a hope for you after all these years of you proving not to be.

At Chris' last tourney, all the tables, strong quality chairs, three fans, and multiple power strips were mine. Free of charge. Did this a friend thing. For this next tourney, I was asked if I could bring the stuff again. I told him I wouldn't mind, but given that it is my parent's stuff, and it requires being out for a couple of days, I'd like to be compensated for it, $30. If you research prices on renting those things, let alone BUYING them, that would be completely reasonable, especially considering he's charging a venue fee at his own place.

But let's just say that's being nit-picky. So let's go with this:

*I hauled all my stuff to his place. By myself. After agreeing 6 PM (note: I did adjust to 6:15 because I was running late). I receive a text at 7 PM, as to "when he should come over." Was already on my way, which I texted back. Get there, unload stuff, and he finally comes out of his room from a nap because he stayed up all night last night. So did I, that's not an excuse.
*Sodas and chips: Roommates, plus me, were saying $0.50, maybe $0.75. Chris was adamant about them being $1.00.
*Chris, our glorious host, went and got pizza. Took him an hour. During that hour, I'm left to constantly answer when Singles will be starting, which I have to keep pushing back. 5 people drop out (2 signed up in that time).
*Chris comes back finally, and "has to play this match" before we start singles, for "accuracy." Um, what? No, it'll still be accurate. Anybody who thinks I can't run a tournament is a dolt.
*DS4 generously is helping out with the bracket seeding, someone who is a serious part of the community. Chris says "no, his seeding sucks!" Sure Chris.

To my disrespect, this is what I've done:

*Show up to the tourney, around noon, have to leave to help my wife (I come back around 2 PM).
*Chris gets back from getting pizza, I talk about starting singles (see above). In anger, I slam my fist against the wall behind me.
*I've ranted about Chris to other people I know at the tourney from that point on in frustration.

If anyone wants to say I'm nitpicky, go ahead. But I'm not lifting another finger to help you Chris, not until you learn to actually respect people, and stop glorifying yourself like you've always done. It's time to grow up.

</rant>

Now with that done with, in terms of general tourneys, I do plan on doing more myself, monthly at the least. I'm hoping for something more local in the Orem/Provo area, but am considering about Kafeneio's or up in the SLC as well. And this would also include the other fighting games, because I honestly want to get into the tournament running scene. I love it, I love seeing people enjoy themselves, and if there are actual issues of my control, I try to solve them.

Probably won't be until January, and if anyone has a good area for me to use it, I'd love to hear about it.

Oh, and will report more about Salt Fest when I hear about it. With the site up in December, I should be able to get something a bit more organized for y'all in terms of that.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
there you have it
want a tourney YOUR way
run ur own tourney
you think the big TOs give a **** about the individual entrants at their tourneys?
theyre still getting the big numbers though and thats what counts

Tsu i think one brawl tourney at Kafeneio's is enough
given how much business they get now as of last year
i planned, organized, and ran the last one
and i plan to do one in january again

and i thinks its futile talking to the fgc scene
juptile told me they don't like us and don't even
want to have events with us
hence why they stopped their side of the monthlies
at the Kafe

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Well, if anything, I'll at least handle the FGC side, since I'll be needing to get into that. January would be a great opportunity too, with Salt Fest coming up.

Our scene can be a little... overwhelming for other people. But yeah, still in the planning and what not. You still doing every third Saturday still usually?

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
its sort of a at will basis
i don't want to one on the 21st of december cause thats too close
to Chrismas i think.
and the 3rd sat of january is apex weekend
so as of now im planning on setting up one
january 11

i see why mars rage quit the scene you guys are goons on here hahahah
Best thread and best scene on smashboards!
at least most lively haha

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
@Ebo: Yeah, people are people. Unfortunately I get tied back here in going into tournament hosting, but oh well, there's only a few like that, and I can ignore them just fine.

@DS4: Cool deal. I'll let you know what I will do on the FGC side. I'm thinking of just trying to hold the 4th Saturday every month, but setting that up isn't a high priority at the moment. Finding a job is.

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
*sigh* Okay, lemme talk about Chris here. Chris, you're probably going to ignore because you refuse to face bettering your ACTUAL self, but still, I have some inkling of a hope for you after all these years of you proving not to be.

At Chris' last tourney, all the tables, strong quality chairs, three fans, and multiple power strips were mine. Free of charge. Did this a friend thing. For this next tourney, I was asked if I could bring the stuff again. I told him I wouldn't mind, but given that it is my parent's stuff, and it requires being out for a couple of days, I'd like to be compensated for it, $30. If you research prices on renting those things, let alone BUYING them, that would be completely reasonable, especially considering he's charging a venue fee at his own place.

But let's just say that's being nit-picky. So let's go with this:

*I hauled all my stuff to his place. By myself. After agreeing 6 PM (note: I did adjust to 6:15 because I was running late). I receive a text at 7 PM, as to "when he should come over." Was already on my way, which I texted back. Get there, unload stuff, and he finally comes out of his room from a nap because he stayed up all night last night. So did I, that's not an excuse.
*Sodas and chips: Roommates, plus me, were saying $0.50, maybe $0.75. Chris was adamant about them being $1.00.
*Chris, our glorious host, went and got pizza. Took him an hour. During that hour, I'm left to constantly answer when Singles will be starting, which I have to keep pushing back. 5 people drop out (2 signed up in that time).
*Chris comes back finally, and "has to play this match" before we start singles, for "accuracy." Um, what? No, it'll still be accurate. Anybody who thinks I can't run a tournament is a dolt.
*DS4 generously is helping out with the bracket seeding, someone who is a serious part of the community. Chris says "no, his seeding sucks!" Sure Chris.

To my disrespect, this is what I've done:

*Show up to the tourney, around noon, have to leave to help my wife (I come back around 2 PM).
*Chris gets back from getting pizza, I talk about starting singles (see above). In anger, I slam my fist against the wall behind me.
*I've ranted about Chris to other people I know at the tourney from that point on in frustration.

If anyone wants to say I'm nitpicky, go ahead. But I'm not lifting another finger to help you Chris, not until you learn to actually respect people, and stop glorifying yourself like you've always done. It's time to grow up.

</rant>

Now with that done with, in terms of general tourneys, I do plan on doing more myself, monthly at the least. I'm hoping for something more local in the Orem/Provo area, but am considering about Kafeneio's or up in the SLC as well. And this would also include the other fighting games, because I honestly want to get into the tournament running scene. I love it, I love seeing people enjoy themselves, and if there are actual issues of my control, I try to solve them.

Probably won't be until January, and if anyone has a good area for me to use it, I'd love to hear about it.

Oh, and will report more about Salt Fest when I hear about it. With the site up in December, I should be able to get something a bit more organized for y'all in terms of that.
Somebody give this man a ****ing medal. Tsu, I would be stoked to go to any tournament that you run/host. I think you know what's going on, and you know how to do a good, professional job with being quick and efficient. Which, we all know is something the brawl and rest of the smash scene is terrible at. So I say, if you're down to run a fest/tourney/whatever I am hundred percent down for that. Let's see you what you've got in terms of being a tournament organizer. Also, mega props for your rant on Chris, I think everyone in the scene has been thinking it for a while. Nothing against you, Chris, but I got a agree with him on this.

Ebo!

Smash Apprentice
Okay so chibo said he'd be down if his transportation would be paid for he'd give the full treatment knowing you guys as cheap as you are that wont happen lol but um he still has no problem helping spread the word and helping support if not.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Okay so chibo said he'd be down if his transportation would be paid for he'd give the full treatment knowing you guys as cheap as you are that wont happen lol but um he still has no problem helping spread the word and helping support if not.

Sending you a PM.

Tuesday

Smash Ace
I can't believe that people are actually complaining about someone who's actually contributing to the community.

Let's assume that all the worst things in this thread about Chris are absolutely true. (I don't believe half of it is true, but I'm sure none of it is baseless). Let's assume that he's:

Arrogant
Unappreciative
Unorganized
Banning metaknight out of personal gain
Hosting tournaments just to take people's money

If all these things were true, you know what? I wouldn't invite him to my birthday party. Nor would I put him on my top 8 on MySpace (shoutout to 2004). But I would get over that because at least he's contributing to the community. For whatever reason, in whatever way, despite ANY supposed ulterior motive, he hosts tournaments, the last of which had many people whose first tournament it was, who had a blast, and who have now signed up for smashboards and want to come to more tournaments.
Could he have done it alone? Hell no. Could it have been better? Absolutely. What should we do about it? The most counter-productive thing would be to complain and try and talk people out of future events, or put people on blast on SB and dissuade noobs from being active participants in the community. Or, how about we help out? How about we don't focus on shortcomings and just focus on the fact that SOMEONE is hosting a local tournament, advertising like Hell, and getting new faces in the smash scene. If he were hosting a FFA tournament with only Mr. Saturns on Hyrule and all characters with disjointed hit boxes were banned, I'd thank him for being proactive and offer him a TV as long as he gave a shoutout to this SB thread.

I typed all that on my phone so I swear if someone gives me a tl;dr I'm gonna lose it. I know I can kill.

Tuesday

Smash Ace
Also, I'm not saying nobody has legitimate suggestions that are constructive criticism (Z'z) nor that nobody has legitimate complaints (Tsuteto). There are good ways of going about it (and accepting it at face value and using it to improve something, Chris). If you don't have the tact to do so without calling people out in public, or by getting too defensive and responding with the quintessential "I am rubber and you are glue," PM that noise. Just a genuine request.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
Lol we don't need to get chibo then if he's going to "charge"
We can just ask Ankoku again who did all
The streaming last time free of charge and
Probably better job at it too

Ebo!

Smash Apprentice
i dont know who that is im sure chibo is a thousand times better of a streamer you cheap sense is kicking in way to fast man

Ebo!

Smash Apprentice
Yea considering there was 21 people watching gfs of salt fest last year i'd say chibo is a bit more notable lol

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
Dude don't get it twisted
I will always prefer Ankoku because
He's a friend of mine and our scene knows him well
And he's proven to be very trustworthy and reliable
Not saying chibo isn't he's just much farther away

And who's 100% going to apex beside me???

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
@Tuesday: Not a tl;dr. However, just to clarify on my side at the least: I am not saying not to go to Chris's tournaments. I'm merely pointing out his lack of character towards people. I am personally sick and tired of the feeling of being mistreated by him, and when asking for some simple proper treatment, it becomes too much. I have been there plenty of times for him, and he knows it. What I have said is something he should already be full aware of, but still refuses to do anything. I'm not attempting to publicly humiliate him. I'm hoping he's grown up to the point to take it, and learn, and maybe come to terms with who he actually is and move on from there. Note also I'm not asking for even an apology. Everything I've done and felt is of my own accord. PMing him would result in the same thing as the past. If he's at all serious about being the "#1 tourney host in Utah," he's going to have a lot more scrutinizing than my troubles which are years of being a friend and ally to him (which I still consider myself as such. If he truly needed help, I would still provide it).

In terms of moving on though, I have said what needs to be said. If anyone wishes for me to continue on about my views on this matter, feel free to PM me. Once again though, I am not saying to not go to his tournaments. Rather, go! Support him in such an endeavor of his.

@Salt Fest discussion: In terms of streaming, I have made my decisions already on it as of this point. Chibo would be a great choice because it's more publicly known. Though our local smash scene might not want to "pay the way" for him, Salt Fest itself may be interested since that's advertisement for the convention. If you don't want to pay to support it, then don't. If you do, then I'll be greatful. If Ankoku still wants to stream, I'll look into adding it. I'm all for multiple streams so people can watch any type of match at any time.

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
To be honest, I really have to side with Zzgashi on this one for the most part. MK ban WILL probably turn some OoS players off. However, there's a difference between "just trying to help you here" and "i'm just dumbfounded by how incredibly inconsiderate, uncaring, and straight up ignorant you're being." Chris wants to have MK banned. That's his choice, and he'll face the consequences, be them what they are. It's fine to give advice, just don't accuse people of not being a responsible TO. Which brings me to my next question: Why don't you host your own MK legal tournament?

Tuesday

Smash Ace
I mean, I've been known to.

But I've never played or practiced of my own volition. I've participated out of convenience.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
People on the Neumont Tourney thread have asked about if we're gonna host another tourney so I thought I'd quote my response here in case someone else was wondering:

We don't have anything planned until next quarter :(

But I'm thinking about starting a club and maybe we can have a fest every two weeks or something. I could even talk to the school and see what are the rules for bringing people over during school hours. I was thinking if any one of you wanted to you could show up during lunch 12:00pm - 1:00pm since that's when most of us are playing, but we still play throughout the day just most of us play during that time. I know we're allowed to bring people in but there are limits.

In regards to hosting another tourney... this was our first "big" smash tournament in a long time and we're just taking things slow before we decide to do something like monthlies. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up doing monthlies because we were very happy with this tourney and we loved you guys being over here. We're definitely doing another tourney but it's going to be a little while.

wangston

Smash Lord
I will for sure host a smashfest friday night and I'm going to the byu tourney that evening. Just so you slc people know if you get a group of 4 for the front runner it's 15$ for a here and back ticket and you can go back the next day if you leave before 10am.

edit for kenny

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Finally managed to get the results for the Neumont Tournament... here they are.

Woots... finally got the results... here they are:

Melee Singles:
1st: Tomacawk
2nd: Jekyll
3rd: Perfect Chaos
4th: Cubey
5th: Ebo, Baby
7th: mikecb, Jacob
9th: Roguay, Crash, the omen, Superw0rri0
13th: Amm0, 2 johns, Steel, Monks

Brawl Singles:
1st: Iccy