• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Hey MaskedEpsilon, if you don't like the name Bill Nye the Samus Guy, I thought of a new name for you: Macho Man Randy Samus.
Gonna have to start cycling through these every tournament, lol. Where were you when I was trying to think up a smash tag in the first place?

Pumpinz

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone! We are so glad that the tournament on Saturday went so well. I had a lot of people come up and talk to me about how much fun they had and I'm very happy to hear it.

But, we know there were probably some things that could use some improving. So let us know!

We made up this short survey that will help us decide how to run future tournaments at FanXperience and Salt Lake Comic Con. There is opportunity for you to tell us what you did and did not like at the tournament. (Three responses have come in and people didn't seem happy about chain grabs being allowed. :/ )

Follow this link to the survey - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1-hfr1l0rnOwB7tZYPPF9pnGe2ABCBLs-SQ5ASEMUggs/viewform

Thanks everyone!
I think using anything but the Apex rules would be a mistake.

ZerosUT

Smash Cadet
Starts at 4:54

That shield poke on a full shield in the last two seconds. Gotta love it.

Edit: 2nd match was also a shield poke on a full shield to end it. I guess that's just the way it is.

Anyways, just wanted to give a shoutout to zeros and pwny for their commentary. Entertaining and informative, good stuff guys

Hey thanks, man. Really appreciate the input. It was a really fun experience commentating for the first time.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Hey everyone! We are so glad that the tournament on Saturday went so well. I had a lot of people come up and talk to me about how much fun they had and I'm very happy to hear it.

But, we know there were probably some things that could use some improving. So let us know!

We made up this short survey that will help us decide how to run future tournaments at FanXperience and Salt Lake Comic Con. There is opportunity for you to tell us what you did and did not like at the tournament. (Three responses have come in and people didn't seem happy about chain grabs being allowed. :/ )

Follow this link to the survey - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1-hfr1l0rnOwB7tZYPPF9pnGe2ABCBLs-SQ5ASEMUggs/viewform

Thanks everyone!
Not allowing chaingrabs is a bad decision, even with how much newer players don't like it. The Apex ruleset is the standard ruleset commonly accepted by pretty much every competitive tournament. There was only one IC's player anyways, which is probably who everyone was complaining about. Newer players just don't know what to do against it, which leads to them getting wrecked and feeling that it's "cheap". But it's definitely not unbeatable/bannable.

That's coming from someone who doesn't play any chaingrabbing characters.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Noob Ice climbers wobbling/chain-grabbing scrubs cuz they suck and don't know how to use a real character like fox.... 420NoDeeEyeeeSwag360NoScope20XXShines4Dayz

Last edited:

ZerosUT

Smash Cadet

Thanks everyone!
Those were probably the people that played Samson (I See). Most casual players think that CGs are cheap or shouldn't be allowed. However, how do you define a cheap CG? For instance, Marth's CG on spacies only goes for 4 grabs followed by a fsmash. Or Falco's goes from 2 - 8 guaranteed grabs depending upon the character. The only true infinite grab is ICs (correct me if I'm overlooking something). Even Pikachu's is DI-able on spacies after a certain percent.

Last edited:

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090
I'm with you all. Chain grabs are part of the game and are there for everyone to try and learn, and how to combat them. I'm guessing too that it's mostly those who don't know what to do when caught in one.

What do you think of this - maybe not allowing it for pools, but then letting it be fair game when it gets to brackets?

I talked about this with my staff, but no matter how much we do right, or how many good things we do, those who are upset with one or two things will speak the loudest. Life :\

ZerosUT

Smash Cadet
those who are upset with one or two things will speak the loudest. Life :\
Exactly this. People are going to have a reason to be upset when they get beat. If they didn't complain about that, then they'd complain about a character being broken or a stage being broken. People don't like to admit that other people are better than they are, and you aren't going to win either way. IMHO just let the game be played as played in Apex 2014. Nobody can complain (well they can, but it's unjustified) if there is an official ruleset that is nationwide for tournaments. I think just making it clear that it is a standardized ruleset would comfort a lot of people.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It ultimately depends on whether you want to cater towards the beginner/casual gamer scene (which, this tournament had an unprecedented number of people enter who appeared to be very new to competitive play), or the overall competitive scene. Generally if you're getting a good number of players on both sides then I'd want to stick more towards keeping things as close to the competitive standard as possible, since those are the players who will stick with the game, and keep coming back and competing in future events.

Chainthrows are, like combos in other fighter games, one of those things that there's really no (surefire) escape once you get caught, and the solution of "just outplay the other guy" is hard to accept for someone who's just witnessed his stocks disappear in three mistakes.

Last edited:

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Dem ***** ice climers, man git reckt IC's stuped cheep ass wobbles and chane grebs ban dat **** u gotta fyte lyke a reel man and fulkin punch its smesh bros not greb bros wuts the pont if kan just kep wobblin and chame grebin 4ever

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090
It ultimately depends on whether you want to cater towards the beginner/casual gamer scene (which, this tournament had an unprecedented number of people enter who appeared to be very new to competitive play), or the overall competitive scene. Generally if you're getting a good number of players on both sides then I'd want to stick more towards keeping things as close to the competitive standard as possible, since those are the players who will stick with the game, and keep coming back and competing in future events.

Chainthrows are, like combos in other fighter games, one of those things that there's really no (surefire) escape once you get caught, and the solution of "just outplay the other guy" is hard to accept for someone who's just witnessed his stocks disappear in three mistakes.
Good insight. I expected a lot of new comers that don't regularly go to tournaments as Comic Con has a very large reach on the social media and website. I think we will stick with competitive rules and continue to inform people of how to keep up with competitive players. For sure - the ones who will keep coming back are those who compete regularly in tournaments, so we'll keep it as close to that where possible (probably in most every case).

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Wait... chain grabs were banned in the Brawl tournament???

の 。の Felon

Smash Cadet
NNID
tjaketheman
I agree with everyone else here so far. Chain grabbing is a part of the game and crucial gameplay for some characters, stick with APEX and keep the game how it should be. (Not just because I main Sheik either)

And I wish I could make the fest but prior commitments are in the way, I look forward to hopefully getting to know you all in other fests and tourneys though!

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090
Seeing, what I'm guessing, is a lot of your guys input in the survey. Thanks everyone!

This is only the second tournament that I've ever planned, but it's got me so pumped. A lot of your ideas for suggestions we have already though of and we're determined to keep improving and making it better.

I'm already excited for September. I'm hoping we can do a ton of games then (can't make any promises, haha) but we want to get in Project M and Doubles for games.

Just curious - What's everyone's thoughts on the 3DS game for competitive matches? I'm still trying to rack my brain around how that will work. Parts of it sounds like it will be easy, other parts make me think it will be way hard :p

ZerosUT

Smash Cadet
The problem that you might run into is that most of the people I've talked to aren't going to indulge in the 3ds version of the game. I might be referencing a minority, but who knows?
Point being, the turnout may be less, but you could even organize an online tournament run over skype or google hangouts. That would actually be really cool to have online tournaments instead of trying to get people from all over Utah to come to a single venue. We'd have to see how the online play works out (if it's even a viable option), but if it doesn't suck like it does now for Brawl, it could be a very easy way to host. Just some of my thoughts, as I'm not even purchasing the 3ds version of the game.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I was talking to Yaz and he said NM does an amateur bracket for all of those who don't make it out of pools to cater towards newer players as well.

Just an idea. I realize there are time constraints, but with enough setups/not way too many people, that might be a possibility.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I was talking to Yaz and he said NM does an amateur bracket for all of those who don't make it out of pools to cater towards newer players as well.

Just an idea. I realize there are time constraints, but with enough setups/not way too many people, that might be a possibility.
This should be feasible. The "normal" bracket quickly begins occupying fewer and fewer stations. An amateur bracket would ramp up nicely. Man, I wish this was a thing back in 2006. XD

Sexy Yaz

Smash Apprentice
Albuquerque scene is really good at involving new players. They have an amateur bracket and a pro bracket and they have "gym battles" where the newer players can play the pro players with a certain rule set. I'm not too sure how it works but when it comes to encouraging new players to keep coming to tournaments, albuquerque knows what's up.

Snap.

Smash Apprentice
Dem ***** ice climers, man git reckt IC's stuped cheep *** wobbles and chane grebs ban dat **** u gotta fyte lyke a reel man and fulkin punch its smesh bros not greb bros wuts the pont if kan just kep wobblin and chame grebin 4ever
"smesh bros not greb bros" remi pls

Last edited:

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090
SLCC posted a Facebook event page for the Finals of the tournament (happening Thursday). If you plan on going, please RSVP - https://www.facebook.com/events/747067251990510/

FYI - Getting the ones in charge to see a lot of people coming to this will help us get more support from them for future tournaments. If you can, be there! And invite your friends and family too. It should be really fun to watch :)

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Yeah that would have been the best option, but I didn't think it was necessary knowing I had a full shield. I figured I'd be fine just holding it for the last second and was ready to spot dodge his crappy grab which should have been the only thing that could hit me. But I guess I'll plan on doing what I can to avoid being in my shield in that situation next time.

Looks like I'm going to have to start playing against you and Devon with timeouts in mind as well as devise strategies of how to handle the match depending on the amount of time left. Normally I don't bother about percents because snake lives so freaking long and I can win regardless of percent. But time played a stupid amount of importance in both the sets I lost.
Honestly man, at the highest level, I think Wario is really really really bad for Snake. Snakes usual advantages ( KO power, survivability, damage) Wario actually matches or exceeds him in these areas. Then his other advantages being his range and ground/grab game, Wario just can completely avoid that altogether. I don't think I got hit with ftilt more than 3 times in the whole set.

Your basically left with having to chase Wario in the air and Snake is bad in the air. I still haven't mastered Wario to the point that I want and theres a lot of little nuances in the MU that I need to polish....but yea. I picked up Wario specifically to beat you and Chris lol.

I would just CP MK on Wario because that MU is impossible for Wario if you know how to play it, but then we'll just be playing MK dittos every set lolololol we'll finally embrace Brawl metagame.

Thanks everyone!
I think we all know who complained =/
Aguilars
I'm with you all. Chain grabs are part of the game and are there for everyone to try and learn, and how to combat them. I'm guessing too that it's mostly those who don't know what to do when caught in one.

What do you think of this - maybe not allowing it for pools, but then letting it be fair game when it gets to brackets?

I talked about this with my staff, but no matter how much we do right, or how many good things we do, those who are upset with one or two things will speak the loudest. Life :\
There's a lot of things in Brawl that are worse than Ice Climbers imo. MK, Wario, Aguilars....its just a part of the game.

The basic strategy/template for fighting Ice Climbers involves:

1. Making sure you don't play on Final Destination. This stage is almost impossible for any character in the game to beat Ice Climbers on. You have to ban it.

2.Ice Climbers pretty much invalidate most of the cast. So you're left with playing either characters that never have to land (MK/Wario/Peach/ROB) or characters that have strong neutral tools/gimmicks that interrupt chaingrabs Diddy/Snake/etc.

3. You cant get grabbed. This is harder than it sounds, it takes a ton of patience and a good understanding of how the game's system mechanics work.

Even with all of these steps covered and even if you know what you're doing....chances are you will still get grabbed and you will lose to Icies. Ice Climbers are basically the noob proof character..it is almost impossible for a average/casual/newer player to beat someone as skilled with Icies as Samson is. Even outside of the chaingrabs they're still a very formidable character and they can win without even having to land a grab.

Now if you ban chaingrabs.....ultimately what will it accomplish? Samson will just play his MK or Snake and he will still beat the same people he beat almost as easily as he did with Ice Climbers, this just hampers him in bracket. Banning chaingrabs in pools isn't actually a bad idea but how on earth would you referee something like that, youd need staff at every setup lol.

Dem ***** ice climers, man git reckt IC's stuped cheep *** wobbles and chane grebs ban dat **** u gotta fyte lyke a reel man and fulkin punch its smesh bros not greb bros wuts the pont if kan just kep wobblin and chame grebin 4ever
llololololol. im dead

Good insight. I expected a lot of new comers that don't regularly go to tournaments as Comic Con has a very large reach on the social media and website. I think we will stick with competitive rules and continue to inform people of how to keep up with competitive players. For sure - the ones who will keep coming back are those who compete regularly in tournaments, so we'll keep it as close to that where possible (probably in most every case).
Honestly Chris, do whatever you want. Its your tournament so whatever your ultimate goal or what you want to get out of the event is what you should shoot for. Just keep in mind, last year you ran a FFAmtourny with items on......and the best players still were the last ones standing at the end of the day. You have almost the same people in finals this time with a competitive ruleset as you did last year with a casual one. Coincidence? No.

The skill gap is just massive. Even some of the players in the Utah scene who never even get into the top 5 in our locals just destroyed everyone in their pools. My little brother isn't exactly a "competitive" player and he 3 stocked almost everyone in his pool with a mid tier character in Kirby.

Some people just don't have what it takes w\to play a competitive fighter. For example in one of my pools matches I played a Falco player with my Snake. He woukld shoot a couple lasers on the other side of the stage, then whenever I got close...he would side b to the other side and try to do it again. Well obviously I know how to get around this 2008 strategy and I would simply walk and shield his side b and the punish with Snakes ftilt. You'd think after about the 5th time of me punishing this guy for this he would try something else or maybe make the connection in his brain that his foolproof strategy was getting him niowhere...but nope. Kept doing it the whole set and I kept punishing him the whole set. this wasn't a little kid or anything either it was a grown man older than me lol.

Fighting games, especially 1v1 games are so unforgiving of a genre. You will lose and you will lose a lot. There is always someone out there who is better than you. You have to take each of your losses and learn from the experience. that's the beauty of competitive games. There's always room for improvement and theres always more information to soak in.

and I think people had a great time. I talked with 20+ people I had never met before, gave tips, pointed people towards our scene and Smashboards. There was giveaways, food, sexy hairy men everywhere, and even Ash Ketchum himself showed up.

One thing you might want to look into is lowering the entry fee. Its really expensive for the average person to put up that much money for a pot that they will never even sniff at.

Anyways, you guys are awesome and the event was da bess. Some of your "security" guards were taking their jobs a little too seriously though lol.
Seeing, what I'm guessing, is a lot of your guys input in the survey. Thanks everyone!

This is only the second tournament that I've ever planned, but it's got me so pumped. A lot of your ideas for suggestions we have already though of and we're determined to keep improving and making it better.

I'm already excited for September. I'm hoping we can do a ton of games then (can't make any promises, haha) but we want to get in Project M and Doubles for games.

Just curious - What's everyone's thoughts on the 3DS game for competitive matches? I'm still trying to rack my brain around how that will work. Parts of it sounds like it will be easy, other parts make me think it will be way hard :p
3DS version will be awesome, ill finally get to play Smash while im on the toilet. you have no idea how long ive waited for this moment.

The biggest problem I foresee wth 3DS tournaments is having enough outlets/charging stations available for matches to be played.

New Mexico? Is their whole scene besides Light and Dekar in the amateur bracket????

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090
Honestly man, at the highest level, I think Wario is really really really bad for Snake. Snakes usual advantages ( KO power, survivability, damage) Wario actually matches or exceeds him in these areas. Then his other advantages being his range and ground/grab game, Wario just can completely avoid that altogether. I don't think I got hit with ftilt more than 3 times in the whole set.

Your basically left with having to chase Wario in the air and Snake is bad in the air. I still haven't mastered Wario to the point that I want and theres a lot of little nuances in the MU that I need to polish....but yea. I picked up Wario specifically to beat you and Chris lol.

I would just CP MK on Wario because that MU is impossible for Wario if you know how to play it, but then we'll just be playing MK dittos every set lolololol we'll finally embrace Brawl metagame.

Aguilars

There's a lot of things in Brawl that are worse than Ice Climbers imo. MK, Wario, Aguilars....its just a part of the game.

1. Making sure you don't play on Final Destination. This stage is almost impossible for any character in the game to beat Ice Climbers on. You have to ban it.

2.Ice Climbers pretty much invalidate most of the cast. So you're left with playing either characters that never have to land (MK/Wario/Peach/ROB) or characters that have strong neutral tools/gimmicks that interrupt chaingrabs Diddy/Snake/etc.

3. You cant get grabbed. This is harder than it sounds, it takes a ton of patience and a good understanding of how the game's system mechanics work.

Even with all of these steps covered and even if you know what you're doing....chances are you will still get grabbed and you will lose to Icies. Ice Climbers are basically the noob proof character..it is almost impossible for a average/casual/newer player to beat someone as skilled with Icies as Samson is. Even outside of the chaingrabs they're still a very formidable character and they can win without even having to land a grab.

Now if you ban chaingrabs.....ultimately what will it accomplish? Samson will just play his MK or Snake and he will still beat the same people he beat almost as easily as he did with Ice Climbers, this just hampers him in bracket. Banning chaingrabs in pools isn't actually a bad idea but how on earth would you referee something like that, youd need staff at every setup lol.

llololololol. im dead

Honestly Chris, do whatever you want. Its your tournament so whatever your ultimate goal or what you want to get out of the event is what you should shoot for. Just keep in mind, last year you ran a FFAmtourny with items on......and the best players still were the last ones standing at the end of the day. You have almost the same people in finals this time with a competitive ruleset as you did last year with a casual one. Coincidence? No.

The skill gap is just massive. Even some of the players in the Utah scene who never even get into the top 5 in our locals just destroyed everyone in their pools. My little brother isn't exactly a "competitive" player and he 3 stocked almost everyone in his pool with a mid tier character in Kirby.

Some people just don't have what it takes w\to play a competitive fighter. For example in one of my pools matches I played a Falco player with my Snake. He woukld shoot a couple lasers on the other side of the stage, then whenever I got close...he would side b to the other side and try to do it again. Well obviously I know how to get around this 2008 strategy and I would simply walk and shield his side b and the punish with Snakes ftilt. You'd think after about the 5th time of me punishing this guy for this he would try something else or maybe make the connection in his brain that his foolproof strategy was getting him niowhere...but nope. Kept doing it the whole set and I kept punishing him the whole set. this wasn't a little kid or anything either it was a grown man older than me lol.

Fighting games, especially 1v1 games are so unforgiving of a genre. You will lose and you will lose a lot. There is always someone out there who is better than you. You have to take each of your losses and learn from the experience. that's the beauty of competitive games. There's always room for improvement and theres always more information to soak in.

and I think people had a great time. I talked with 20+ people I had never met before, gave tips, pointed people towards our scene and Smashboards. There was giveaways, food, sexy hairy men everywhere, and even Ash Ketchum himself showed up.

One thing you might want to look into is lowering the entry fee. Its really expensive for the average person to put up that much money for a pot that they will never even sniff at.

Anyways, you guys are awesome and the event was da bess. Some of your "security" guards were taking their jobs a little too seriously though lol.

3DS version will be awesome, ill finally get to play Smash while im on the toilet. you have no idea how long ive waited for this moment.

The biggest problem I foresee wth 3DS tournaments is having enough outlets/charging stations available for matches to be played.

New Mexico? Is their whole scene besides Light and Dekar in the amateur bracket????
Thanks for everything said. Lots of great insight.

Charging stations - That is true. Unless people are closing their system between matches, then their batteries could die pretty quickly. The best part is that players will just have to supply their own game and 3DS to enter and so we wouldn't have to worry about set-ups :)

Haha, if you have a Wii U, and the station is near a bathroom, you'll be able to play that on the can too ;)

Speaking of that, am I the only one who immediately thought of being able to do that with games when the Wii U was announced? NEVER STOP PLAYING.

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090

That's not bad. I wouldn't mind doing something like that, but it just requires more man power and then prizes for that bracket. I'll try to wrap my brain about how that could maybe work.

A downside to accommodating to that could mean that we don't have time for other things like more games (PM, Wii U, 3DS) or doubles brackets. But hey, we'll see. :)

Thanks for the heads up!

RVKYS

Smash Apprentice
sick fest everybody, I had a great time at my first one. Kyle and I plan on coming to more and getting more practice. it's possible I can maybe throw one in the coming weekends, I'll keep everybody posted.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
After FanX, I can start hosting them. I have decent space. I just need people to bring TVs.

Pumpinz

Smash Journeyman
Can confirm.... I was in his pool.

Tuesday

Smash Ace
Had oodles of fun, guys. Let me know if any of you wanna play again this week.

Before Friday, that is.

Last edited:

Ken Neth

Smash Champion

Aguilars

llololololol. im dead

Good post, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

I was already thinking of picking up MK to go against your wario. Much easier to play the time game with MK.

And yeah, when something beats you, you better ban it. It must be cheap if it beats Chris haha

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Albuquerque scene is really good at involving new players. They have an amateur bracket and a pro bracket and they have "gym battles" where the newer players can play the pro players with a certain rule set. I'm not too sure how it works but when it comes to encouraging new players to keep coming to tournaments, albuquerque knows what's up.
I wish I pushed for this harder when I was still in Utah. Would've helped new and weaker players level up, like myself.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Yaz, you'll have to get more info on this gym leaders thing. That sounds like a fun idea to include for the Utah scene

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
I should admit I took that paragraph from reddit and just altered it to fit brawl.

Really though, the number one argument against IC's is that a bunch of people are gonna pack an auditorium at comic con and it'll be lame if the first time they watch the utah smash scene, it's Wario, Rob, and Sonic jumping around and IC's spamming B. Competitively, it's just something to deal with.

Top Bottom