• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I don't know much about X, last night was the first night Ive ever saw him. I did notice that his name was called out for a match and he was nowhere to be found. Running things on his time not the tournament time it seems. Which is disrespectful, needless to say.
>X
>Disrespectful

Dr. Friday

Smash Cadet
I'm thinking if people are paying money for a tournament they should at least be able to play without having to put up with the kind of stuff mentioned. I've played X twice and he hasn't talked bad about me during the match. Even if it's not X I think there should be some sort of code of conduct in place

Unless everybody is cool with it, then we shouldn't do anything

Last edited:

RVKYS

Smash Apprentice
shoutouts to the weekly last night. super chill venue and lots of cool people and i finally beat staz and rocky (!) every one should definitely come next time. X may have been kinda a **** but idk wasn't really paying attention,

OH YEAH

RVKYS VS SOAPSUDS $20 MONEYMATCH HYPE FOR UNOFFICIAL SECOND BEST FALCON MAIN IN UTAH (LMAO) BEST OF 5 AT KAFENIO LETS GOOOOOOOO

JMeisterJ

Smash Cadet
Honestly, tell me if i sound dumb or crazy but i wanna start a tournament series where you're respectful OR YOURE GONE, FOR GOOD. I want it to be people playing a match, shaking the opponents hand in the beginning and the end. No salt from either victor or loser. You win humbly, you lose humbly. Its not cool to say "OH GET YOUR SH** WRECKED SCRUB!!!" or "THAT WAS HORSE **** I SHOULDVE WON THAT MATCH! F*** YOU" just shake your opponents hand, and get them next time. If you show any kind of salt, BOOM youre done, get out and dont come to this tourney again, because you WONT be allowed back. Is that crazy of me to want that? No trash talk, no disrespect, no child attitude. I want a tournament where smash is like a gentlemens game. Where both sides are proud of the match they played.

Tuesday

Smash Ace
X was banned last I heard for colluding or something, or maybe it was wasting time. I forget. I don't know how/why he was unbanned but I guess it's not important.

It's clearly up to the discretion of the TO, but guys c'mon. Trash talk is not a bannable offense. Being rude isn't, either. If it gets too much or you feel threatened, and they refuse to respond to polite request, tell the TO immediately so he/she can issue a warning that they might be booted/DQ'd. Not doing anything until after the fact and just bringing it up online is not an appropriate response. From what I've heard, though, multiple complaints have been made so some course of action (warning) may be warranted.

That said, a reminder: UNNECESSARY TRASH TALK OR DISTRACTION DURING A MATCH IS ABSOLUTELY A DISQUALIFIABLE OFFENSE. You cannot try to verbally or physically distract your opponent mid-game. My suggestion is simply using headphones (Yaz knows what's good), but if you feel like this is an issue you have every right to call a TO.

I'm not defending Chris, but c'mon guys, they're words. Back when I started if I didn't leave feeling embarrassed to be alive it wasn't a good tournament.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
Honestly, tell me if i sound dumb or crazy but i wanna start a tournament series where you're respectful OR YOURE GONE, FOR GOOD. I want it to be people playing a match, shaking the opponents hand in the beginning and the end. No salt from either victor or loser. You win humbly, you lose humbly. Its not cool to say "OH GET YOUR SH** WRECKED SCRUB!!!" or "THAT WAS HORSE **** I SHOULDVE WON THAT MATCH! F*** YOU" just shake your opponents hand, and get them next time. If you show any kind of salt, BOOM youre done, get out and dont come to this tourney again, because you WONT be allowed back. Is that crazy of me to want that? No trash talk, no disrespect, no child attitude. I want a tournament where smash is like a gentlemens game. Where both sides are proud of the match they played.
$10 MM me

JMeisterJ

Smash Cadet
$10 MM me
I'm gonna eat my own words right now I know but I've learned not to listen to anything you say because nothing you say comes close to intelligence. I am not in the position skill wise or financially wise to do money matches. Wanna money match, fine, find someone else.

net1234

Smash Ace
if u dq x utah will become even free-er, trying to be a big scene is one thing but if we wanna be a good scene we need good players attending

Tuesday

Smash Ace
Skill honestly shouldn't be a factor. "Oh he's 10 minutes late for his match but he's really good so let's just wait" is terrible. No double standards.

I can just hear his voice saying "You guys are such ussies quit being babies" and as infuriating as that might, it's not a justifiable reason to ban.

Collusion, however, is.

JMeisterJ

Smash Cadet
Skill honestly shouldn't be a factor. "Oh he's 10 minutes late for his match but he's really good so let's just wait" is terrible. No double standards.

I can just hear his voice saying "You guys are such ussies quit being babies" and as infuriating as that might, it's not a justifiable reason to ban.

Collusion, however, is.
THA FUH!!?!?!??! Is that seriously a thing!!! Did that honestly happen, with them waiting for him?

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
Warning Received
I'm gonna eat my own words right now I know but I've learned not to listen to anything you say because nothing you say comes close to intelligence.
ouchies lol dont worry my online persona is pretty different from irl

You guys are such ussies quit being babies"
you forgot the 'h' in "hussies". ftfy

Last edited by a moderator:

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
THA FUH!!?!?!??! Is that seriously a thing!!! Did that honestly happen, with them waiting for him?
Not exactly like that, but I have delayed starting my first tournament a couple times because I was informed by one of the brothers that they were on their way (I often needed that extra time myself for setup purposes anyways). I am working on getting more strict, though. I basically have made a deal with them where I will enter them into the bracket, hold off calling their matches for as long as I can, then following standard time rules. If they take the loss, that is on them for not being on time.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
hey, everyone! just wanted to let everyone know that i updated the ratings for melee and pm, as well as created a ranking for smash 4. i will try to keep these ratings updated over time. see them here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8KlDEb7bMoJY3F6b1BQX1loMm8&usp=drive_web

also, note that in the future, i will label events as rated or not. only rated events will contribute to your rating. right now i am considering a smasher's tale regionals, neumont monthlies, provo game den weeklies, and slc weeklies as rated events. if you have an event that you want to be rated, please talk to me. thanks.

JMeisterJ

Smash Cadet
Not exactly like that, but I have delayed starting my first tournament a couple times because I was informed by one of the brothers that they were on their way (I often needed that extra time myself for setup purposes anyways). I am working on getting more strict, though. I basically have made a deal with them where I will enter them into the bracket, hold off calling their matches for as long as I can, then following standard time rules. If they take the loss, that is on them for not being on time.
You know what, I'm gonna tell you right, if you want ban me from attending these tournaments if you want cause i'm gonna say a few things that CLEARLY someone shouldve said long ago. Why them? Huh? You JUST SAID you've made a deal WITH THEM. What if another player wants to play but theyre gonna be late but a friend of theres tells you, "THey are on there way just give them a few" would you? If you need time to set up, fine thats totally cool, just delay the tourney a bit in general, ask a few guys "hey mind helping me out so we can get this started faster?" Honestly, whats made them so special, their skill, their attitude is total sh**. And i've been informed X has been banned before but that only lasted 9 days? The fuh? When i found out, "hey theres a smash scene here in utah county? SWEET, its probably some good cool dudes playing smash having a good time." No, sadly i had to realize that its two brothers who are apparently allowed to do as they please and no one who'll tell them "SHUT THE FUH UP, OR GET OUT" and that saddens me, cause i come from central valley cali, where i met ALOT of doucehs, i used to be one who thought he was the greatest, but learned i needed practice, but the guys in fresno, no theyre still cool, theyre still having fun, these two brothers are just being obnoxious aholes. Why are they still allowed to play? I'll admit, i've already seen better players in utah, but the way this is ran, they things that are accepted... its just a BIG JOKE. And that saddens me. I'd like to attend these weeklys but like i said in the beginning, if you want, go ahead and tell me i'm not allowed to, I'll make this easier, I was J from this tuesday at game den, Trafalgar Law Hat, Black Sweater, megaman shirt. Mainly what i'm wearing these days. I'll find more tourneys, i'll find other guys to play with if i'm banned, but honestly, this tournament set up and whats acceptable at these tournaments, its just a joke. Utah Smash fan boys, go ahead and hate mail me all you want, I'm still gonna play smash. And ya, i'd like to go pro... but if this is what the scene in provo/salt lake is... i wont be repping Utah if i do ever get to evo or apex. IF. I know i still have a lot to learn.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
I don't know much about X, last night was the first night Ive ever saw him. I did notice that his name was called out for a match and he was nowhere to be found. Running things on his time not the tournament time it seems. Which is disrespectful, needless to say.
he told me beforehand that he was leaving and to send him to loser's if he was not back in time for his first match. and that's exactly what we did. no foul there, imo.

it would be nice if everyone was nice to everyone, but that's not entirely realistic.i can't think of a single video game community where people are fully supportive of each other. even at nationals you'll be surrounded by inconsiderate arrogance. if you're going to compete at a video game, it's pretty hard to avoid this type of behavior :-/

X was banned last I heard for colluding or something, or maybe it was wasting time. I forget. I don't know how/why he was unbanned but I guess it's not important.

It's clearly up to the discretion of the TO, but guys c'mon. Trash talk is not a bannable offense. Being rude isn't, either. If it gets too much or you feel threatened, and they refuse to respond to polite request, tell the TO immediately so he/she can issue a warning that they might be booted/DQ'd. Not doing anything until after the fact and just bringing it up online is not an appropriate response. From what I've heard, though, multiple complaints have been made so some course of action (warning) may be warranted.

That said, a reminder: UNNECESSARY TRASH TALK OR DISTRACTION DURING A MATCH IS ABSOLUTELY A DISQUALIFIABLE OFFENSE. You cannot try to verbally or physically distract your opponent mid-game. My suggestion is simply using headphones (Yaz knows what's good), but if you feel like this is an issue you have every right to call a TO.

I'm not defending Chris, but c'mon guys, they're words. Back when I started if I didn't leave feeling embarrassed to be alive it wasn't a good tournament.
^this! if something happens at a tourney that you're not cool with, talk to me or whoever the t.o. is. unless someone says something, i assume everything is going ok.

You know what, I'm gonna tell you right, if you want ban me from attending these tournaments if you want cause i'm gonna say a few things that CLEARLY someone shouldve said long ago. Why them? Huh? You JUST SAID you've made a deal WITH THEM. What if another player wants to play but theyre gonna be late but a friend of theres tells you, "THey are on there way just give them a few" would you? If you need time to set up, fine thats totally cool, just delay the tourney a bit in general, ask a few guys "hey mind helping me out so we can get this started faster?" Honestly, whats made them so special, their skill, their attitude is total sh**. And i've been informed X has been banned before but that only lasted 9 days? The fuh? When i found out, "hey theres a smash scene here in utah county? SWEET, its probably some good cool dudes playing smash having a good time." No, sadly i had to realize that its two brothers who are apparently allowed to do as they please and no one who'll tell them "SHUT THE FUH UP, OR GET OUT" and that saddens me, cause i come from central valley cali, where i met ALOT of doucehs, i used to be one who thought he was the greatest, but learned i needed practice, but the guys in fresno, no theyre still cool, theyre still having fun, these two brothers are just being obnoxious aholes. Why are they still allowed to play? I'll admit, i've already seen better players in utah, but the way this is ran, they things that are accepted... its just a BIG JOKE. And that saddens me. I'd like to attend these weeklys but like i said in the beginning, if you want, go ahead and tell me i'm not allowed to, I'll make this easier, I was J from this tuesday at game den, Trafalgar Law Hat, Black Sweater, megaman shirt. Mainly what i'm wearing these days. I'll find more tourneys, i'll find other guys to play with if i'm banned, but honestly, this tournament set up and whats acceptable at these tournaments, its just a joke. Utah Smash fan boys, go ahead and hate mail me all you want, I'm still gonna play smash. And ya, i'd like to go pro... but if this is what the scene in provo/salt lake is... i wont be repping Utah if i do ever get to evo or apex. IF. I know i still have a lot to learn.
i think you need to calm down a little. you seem to be inferring things and formulating this sinister image in your mind that's making you rage more than you should. what's this talk of banning you? there's no wheeling and dealing going on. if someone tells me they want to enter and that they're on their way, i'll wait for them or delay their match if i can. it doesn't matter who it is. we like to be accommodating.

are people really hate mailing you?

edit: i tried editing my last post but it ended up double posting me. is there a word count limit for posts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Alright, business time.

First, I do thank everyone for their reports, and the discussion that has been occurring recently. I'm going to address what I can topic wise, and while I won't say it's final, may help you understand some things, and how to help remedy the situation along.

X's lifted ban - This was entirely my decision in the end. While I will say the pressure was on to do so from some key members, in the end, the choice was mine and mine alone, because part of his ban in the first place was me being absolutely pissed off as well. What caused that was several things IMO, but that matters not. What does matter is he HAS shown that there's a chance of being better about it.

Trash talking - I feel like @ Tuesday Tuesday mostly talked about it correctly. It does, and will, happen. That's how some people are, and how they get psyched for the game. For others, being trash talked also gets them psyched. Hell, you should see some of the trash talk that I throw around at some people. Some might consider it "too far" but I haven't been told by them to stop, or concerns raised from others. Usually because I believe it's quite obvious to most that's how I am as a person.

With that being said, over the top trash talking must actually be reported. Each person has a "breaking point" and it's NOT my job to determine what that is. Yes, I'm also involved in other things, whether be matches of my own at the weeklies, or cleaning up, or something. So here's the deal: If I'm in a match, you can report it to me. I'll finish my match (probably less so than I want, but I'll take that risk), and observe as soon as I can. If you feel victimized, report it to me and how you feel victimized about it. What was said or done that made you feel so low. I can't do anything without solid details as to why. If I can see it happening, all the better, but that's for a perfect world of which I am not, nor will ever be. Consider it weakness or laziness or what have you, but that's just pure and utter truth.

Colluding - This is, in a way, a tricky one. There are two reasons why colluding would be "illegal" to do from my current understanding:
1) Increases another players stance in the power rankings that does not deserve so.
2) Puts a player into a portion of the loser's bracket to eliminate other competition that would've had a viable chance to place higher.

What happened Tuesday between Lada and X is colluding, simply for the fact that Lada was willing to take the loss, but X instead did. There was no reason to, and that I didn't find out until after everything. Ultimately, it's STILL in a way a tough call, simply for the fact that the blame does have to be placed upon someone from a conjecture made. I have a thought as to how to solve this, but some things have to be considered before then. I do feel like my thoughts will continue to help the scene grow though.

Inefficient tournaments - Some of you feel that tournaments are being done inefficiently for reason A, B, X, Y, who cares. I've gone through a year of learning, and STILL learn different things. Do some of you know WHY I'm considered the head TO? Because I still do it. We've seen me DQ people based on my current conjectures, and it's not always right. Hell, I was basically ill after the last Smasher's Tale because of such. I'm fragile in ways, but I set it to the side as long as I can for you all to have your tournament venues. I'm a perfectionist, and every single thing that goes wrong hits me hard. VERY hard. That's not a pity call, it's just to give you an example of why I do things aside from what I personally feel.

With that being said, you think you've got something better? Then do it. I support Neumont wholly, and is essentially the monthly for Utah as a whole (because holy hell 67 melee entrants). Because of Neumont, I plan for Smasher's Tales events to be on the off months, or once every three months, for them, so you have a monthly / regional. Ogden is planning things where they can and I support them too. I support anyone that I'm able to if it works with my schedule, and you meet my terms. I get paid for this. It's not much at times, but it's still my JOB. I work my current job to learn the industry a little bit more in ways, but still focus as much as I can on this. I lose sleep at times, and I'll still do it. Why? Because **** you I do what I want, that's why. And I want this scene to GROW. We were told weeklies wouldn't work, now we're hitting over 40 at times. That's insane for just a year.

With all this being said, we do still aim to be better. If you see ANYTHING that you disagree with, message me. Think that won't do anything? Then call me. 801-836-9297 . I try to make exceptions where I can, but sometimes I just can't, and some of you thankfully understand that. I'm putting more strictness on Smasher's Tale because I need to for EVERYONE. I'll tell you now, there are ways that people could "contact me" to make exceptions, but I'm going to ignore them to set a standard for the more major tournaments we hold. Think of what you will, but it'll go back to my earlier stance: You think you can do better, then do it. After all, Southern Utah has grown exponentially without my help.

If I've missed something, ask now. I'll answer to the best of my ability.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
you should see some of the trash talk that I throw around at some people. Some might consider it "too far" but I haven't been told by them to stop, or concerns raised from others.
stahp it. concern raised ;-).

net1234

Smash Ace
confirmed for smashers tale can we maybe finally get that stupid crew battle over with

Last edited:

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
utah is awesome i cant wait til we get big enough down here to throw fits at each other

popcorn.gif

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
tl;dr

RVKYS

Smash Apprentice
format that sh**

think about people's eyes man

also idk where this talk of people banning you came from. just come and have a good time, there's like 30 chill kids who just wanna play smash for every x just come have fun dude

Last edited:

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
There has been a lot of speculation, myth, and mysteriousness surrounding Captain Falcon's gentleman in NTSC over the past 15 years of Melee. Additionally, how to do the gentleman is one of the most asked questions on this forum. I want to bring science and data to this discussion, disprove the myths, and reveal everything I know about the technique.

Top Bottom