• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Sol_

Smash Rookie
don't need a setup. yes, there's free parking!

p.s. since last week we had melee first at the salt lake weekly, this week we'll have wii u first at 7pm, and melee at 8pm.
Sweet, thanks. I'll be able to avoid lugging my huge CRT around then. Will melee friendlies still be happening at 6pm when the venue opens, btw? I don't really mind when the tournament times are, so long as I can get some friendlies in, haha.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
Sweet, thanks. I'll be able to avoid lugging my huge CRT around then. Will melee friendlies still be happening at 6pm when the venue opens, btw? I don't really mind when the tournament times are, so long as I can get some friendlies in, haha.
there's always people willing to play friendlies. just ask people or sit down and plug your controller in to get in the rotation.

Shane M

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrchoochootwain
3DS FC
4656-8139-1796
wont be at the SLC weekly this time, I caught a bug and recovering. Sorry for those who want the EVO customs.

Shane M

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrchoochootwain
3DS FC
4656-8139-1796
Side note, those Ike and Falco buffs are so good. definitely would bump both of them up on tier listings. Don't know how high though.

Last edited:

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
sorry guys, no stream today at the salt lake weekly. tim can't make it and i can't do both bracket and stream, so i'm putting my focus on bracket.

Deebo870

Smash Rookie
NNID
Deebo870
Took a while for me to find this thread, but this tournament was fun. My first sm4sh tournament I've participated in. Even though i disappointingly lost both of my matches 0-2 and 1-2., I mean hey, you get better by getting bodied by good players (even if you feel you're not playing you're full potential sorry for my johns ) Hope I am able to come to more tournaments in Utah :). Also, No problem @clydeaker thank you for taking me :D

Sol_

Smash Rookie
Ah, I had a pretty decent time, for my first SLC weekly. Next time though, would it be cool if I brought my setup for friendlies? It seemed like we didn't have enough setups and I recall someone on the Facebook page complaining about all the setups being used for tournament, anyway. I was happy to hop over and play some Sm4sh friendlies for a couple hours, but I think for subsequent visits, it may be beneficial to have another Melee setup.

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
@ Sol_ Sol_ I would not as we don't usually have the room for it. This week was an exception due to the table where the melee setups were was taken by someone else (we usually get 2 setups on there). As for no friendly setups during tournament: I hardly have seen a tournament where all of the setups on the specific game that is being ran have room for friendlies in general (to be frank: deal with it).

Shane M

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrchoochootwain
3DS FC
4656-8139-1796
honestly, 2 PM setups seem to be enough from what I've gathered every time I go to the SLC weekly. Having friendly setups there would be a good spot, because I actually want to learn Melee without taking any of the usual spots.

Also, I'm an idiot for not learning how to properly footstool for this long.

EDIT: My Pac-Man amiibo learned how to footstool me.

Last edited:

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
i have bad news for @ Meleeruler Meleeruler and co, i don't think i can house anybody for EVO anymore, one of my sisters and her family of 5 are visiting from the east coast and they will be taking up everything. i'm really sorry. maybe we can find a hotel to split

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
Ah, I had a pretty decent time, for my first SLC weekly. Next time though, would it be cool if I brought my setup for friendlies? It seemed like we didn't have enough setups and I recall someone on the Facebook page complaining about all the setups being used for tournament, anyway. I was happy to hop over and play some Sm4sh friendlies for a couple hours, but I think for subsequent visits, it may be beneficial to have another Melee setup.
no, don't bring setups. we had plenty of extra setups in the backroom we could have put up yesterday. we usually have at least 2 more setups, but yesterday there were hackerspace people/stuff occupying the space. we work around them. they don't work around us, since it's their space :-p.

people will always complain on facebook. it doesn't matter how many setups there are. if there is a tournament, the tournament will consume as many setups as possible to make it go faster. the nature of double elim makes it so you only have to wait a round or 2 before setups become available again for friendlies. if you're new and trying to learn, take that time to observe matches and ask people questions on why people made certain decisions!

Sol_

Smash Rookie
@ Sol_ Sol_ I would not as we don't usually have the room for it. This week was an exception due to the table where the melee setups were was taken by someone else (we usually get 2 setups on there). As for no friendly setups during tournament: I hardly have seen a tournament where all of the setups on the specific game that is being ran have room for friendlies in general (to be frank: deal with it).
? I was just talking about bringing an extra setup so that more friendlies can take place. If there's no physical room for it, of course, I would understand. I just thought I saw some empty rooms/space we could've had more setups and thought it was a shame I didn't have mine.

no, don't bring setups. we had plenty of extra setups in the backroom we could have put up yesterday. we usually have at least 2 more setups, but yesterday there were hackerspace people/stuff occupying the space. we work around them. they don't work around us, since it's their space :-p.

people will always complain on facebook. it doesn't matter how many setups there are. if there is a tournament, the tournament will consume as many setups as possible to make it go faster. the nature of double elim makes it so you only have to wait a round or 2 before setups become available again for friendlies. if you're new and trying to learn, take that time to observe matches and ask people questions on why people made certain decisions!
It's not me being new and trying to learn, It's simply me wanting to play more melee with others.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
? I was just talking about bringing an extra setup so that more friendlies can take place. If there's no physical room for it, of course, I would understand. I just thought I saw some empty rooms/space we could've had more setups and thought it was a shame I didn't have mine.

It's not me being new and trying to learn, It's simply me wanting to play more melee with others.
yesterday definitely had fewer setups than usual for the aforementioned reason. if you think we need another setup in the future, come ask me, and i'll see if there's any space where we can put one up.

Blues17

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blues17
3DS FC
3179-6103-8458
ok so the game has a preset best of 3 option. lets do it like fighting games where you play three bo3's.

sonic/shadow only with a character swap after the first bo3. tie breaker goes into rock paper scissors for sonic/shadow for the final bo3 which is on final rush

set 1- grind race
set 2- grind race (swapped characters)
set 3 (if necessary)- final rush with RPS for choice between sonic/shadow
This is an agreeable ruleset, however, given the number of b2o3s played, I move to up the stakes to $15.

Logos

Smash Apprentice
@ Tsuteto Tsuteto @ bellsworth46 bellsworth46 What is the possibility of your stream quality being improved? Tsutetos is pretty decent, but for how big of a tourney neumont is I think an improvement of quality would really benefit growing our community. Are you limited to exporting so much bandwidth with neumonts Internet or is it a capture card or low end computer problem? Because I would love to start using my channel for combo videos/match analysis'. My channel has a fair amount of subs and I think that would also be a step in the right direction to grow our scene.

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
@ Tsuteto Tsuteto @ bellsworth46 bellsworth46 What is the possibility of your stream quality being improved? Tsutetos is pretty decent, but for how big of a tourney neumont is I think an improvement of quality would really benefit growing our community. Are you limited to exporting so much bandwidth with neumonts Internet or is it a capture card or low end computer problem? Because I would love to start using my channel for combo videos/match analysis'. My channel has a fair amount of subs and I think that would also be a step in the right direction to grow our scene.
I do need to do a stress test on my laptop, but last time I just was not able to get a second obs doing the capture of the first one at a higher bitrate. Streaming at a higher bitrate shouldn't be a problem at Neumont as they have good hardline speeds. I just need to get off my lazy bum and actually start cutting the vods to post (or do like what @ N nqztv does and save each match seperately)

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
This is an agreeable ruleset, however, given the number of b2o3s played, I move to up the stakes to $15.
ok also i would like to add that handicap should be off

Last edited:

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
sky rail is booty tho

but w/e im down because im incredible at this game

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
let me show you my real power. tomorrow. while we eat frozen yogurt.

Logos

Smash Apprentice
I do need to do a stress test on my laptop, but last time I just was not able to get a second obs doing the capture of the first one at a higher bitrate. Streaming at a higher bitrate shouldn't be a problem at Neumont as they have good hardline speeds. I just need to get off my lazy bum and actually start cutting the vods to post (or do like what @ N nqztv does and save each match seperately)
Yeah I figured the schools Internet would be amazing. So does that mean it's a hardware issue or have you not been setting the bitrate higher?

Top Bottom