• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

lengeta

Smash Ace
Or "Dark Nut", amirite Buzz? amirite?!?

CDBobo, if your going and need a ride yet again, let me k-know.

Anyone else think Brawl might make a September release? I think it might, and that'd be fizz-us-king awesome.

::EDIT::

Xsy, I'm totally making you some "Sexy Southern Utah" badges for real now. What pictures should I be using? Hawt chicks, cacti and red sand, Falco, ...what's sexist for a SSU-Smasher these days? I mean besides other SSUSers.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Oh so RA, this tourney is in Sandy, right? the address you supplied didn't give a city :).
Hmm.. lengeta, I may need a ride, but I live in Pleasant Grove now... I suppose it's on the way, and I live about a block north of state street so it wouldn't be far. What about supplies, RA? I no longer have my awesomely portable TV, because my grandparents are visiting in a house so they're borrowing it.. but I still have 3 cubes! and 3 SSB:M's :). so... need any of that...?
Alrighty then, I'll get started on convincing the brothers.......

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Also, let's talk about crew battles (they're fun :p). How many people are usually on a crew, and do you guys think we'll be doing them? I'm interested :D.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Double poster!!!!

Yes we will be doing crew battles at the next tournament but the format hasn't been decided yet.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I see. Well I was gonna just edit the other one but then my post count would continue to slug it's way up, rather than snail. Do you think said format will have been decided by say... monday? Oh and... it is in

Sandy

Right?

Junpappy

Smash Lord
No it won't be in Sandy. It will be in Salt Lake City....I provided a zip code instead of the actual city.

Baka^ni

Smash Cadet
If we are going to need more cubes, I'm bring my just in case. I could also bring a tv if needed. Also I'm looking to join a crew for the next tourney if any one has room.

laozy

Smash Journeyman
i know i've posted this many times...but what do u guys think about starting the biweeklies up again. it dont have to be official or part of the power ranking, mainly for practice and getting ready for oc3. anyone interested please,.... O DEAR please pm me/nate/goji/rafa....mainly me. much practice is needed within utah smash scene (yes i'm saying u guys suck :D )
probably free buy-ins, and winner gets bragging rights and a dollar from me. or we can go back to 2 bucks buy-ins.
i'll be hosting the first one june 9th...week after junpei's. pm me in advance so i can get ready.

Baka^ni

Smash Cadet
i know i've posted this many times...but what do u guys think about starting the biweeklies up again. it dont have to be official or part of the power ranking, mainly for practice and getting ready for oc3. anyone interested please,.... O DEAR please pm me/nate/goji/rafa....mainly me. much practice is needed within utah smash scene (yes i'm saying u guys suck :D )
probably free buy-ins, and winner gets bragging rights and a dollar from me. or we can go back to 2 bucks buy-ins.
i'll be hosting the first one june 7th...week after junpei's. pm me in advance so i can get ready.
I'm all for the biweeklies, but I'm not going to oc3. I just trying to get better. I have been working really hard on my game play and this next tourney I should be able to put up a better fight than last time. And this time I definitely bring a friend along to fight.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
I got too many complaints about the biweeklies. We aren't going back anytime soon. You ARE supposed to be playing with your friends between tournies, tho. I would suggest simply visiting each other and playing (that's what the top 5 do. It's not a coincidence ;)) rather than making so many tournaments that don't mean anything.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
You want to do a biweekly the thursday after my tournament? I think it should be on the 9th

scarykid78

Smash Journeyman
Hey I'm probably going to be in the saltlake area this weekend (May 24 - May 25) and i was wondering if there are any tourneys going on during that time. The Idaho scene is pretty small and I've been wanting to go to an out-of-state for a while! Thanks for the help.

laozy

Smash Journeyman
I got too many complaints about the biweeklies. We aren't going back anytime soon. You ARE supposed to be playing with your friends between tournies, tho. I would suggest simply visiting each other and playing (that's what the top 5 do. It's not a coincidence ;)) rather than making so many tournaments that don't mean anything.
you guys dont have to host it if u dont want to. but the reason i want to go back to biweeklies is to set a date so oos smashers and people i normally dont play with get to play eachother. i'm not expecting everyone to go. a tournament style format is better/more fun than just smashing friendlies all day. plus its more competitive. anyone who wants to help host a biweekly...please say so.

You want to do a biweekly the thursday after my tournament? I think it should be on the 9th
read my post again junpei. i think u misread. hahaha

Hey I'm probably going to be in the saltlake area this weekend (May 24 - May 25) and i was wondering if there are any tourneys going on during that time. The Idaho scene is pretty small and I've been wanting to go to an out-of-state for a while! Thanks for the help.
no tournament is planned....but i'll smash with u.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Phil, I wanna come to the june 9th thingy..... but I'll most likely need a ride. If Layne is up for it, I am! :D but he's pry got work or something. fye. fie? Fie on fye!. lol.. sorry, just playing with words here. anyway... yeah.. I'm up for it Phil :p

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Xsy, I'm totally making you some "Sexy Southern Utah" badges for real now. What pictures should I be using? Hawt chicks, cacti and red sand, Falco, ...what's sexist for a SSU-Smasher these days? I mean besides other SSUSers.
I can make the graphic if you can actually make real badges out of 'em.

You ARE supposed to be playing with your friends between tournies, tho. I would suggest simply visiting each other and playing (that's what the top 5 do. It's not a coincidence ;)) rather than making so many tournaments that don't mean anything.
This is true. I've only been to 3 tournaments and I totally rocked ALL Y'ALL last time I was up there. (lol, ice climbers)

Gideon Isaac

Smash Rookie
He's got a point, but at the same time I do like the idea of scheduled days of smash so that I can smash with people that I don't often get the chance to. Well, that and my crew has all but vanished (man, I need new friends). So with that being said, if anyone wants smash this weekend give me a call (PM me for the number), or just PM me if ya don't like the idea of a phone call. In fact, that goes for more than just this weekend.
Wow I sound kinda pathetic there don't I..... won't somebody please smash with me.

::edit::

Dang, was I reading correctly, that the entry fee for evo west is only ten bucks?

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
Gideon Isaac said:
He's got a point, but at the same time I do like the idea of scheduled days of smash so that I can smash with people that I don't often get the chance to.
I don't understand how announcing a tournament 3 weeks in advance minimum means there's not enough time for OOS to come? We choose dates based on who can come, so monthly is more flexible for those rare people than biweekly anyway.

It's not a coincidence that the top 5 and 7th all actually play outside of tournaments, while most of the rest of you rarely do. It's not the number of tournaments that's the problem....

Casture

Smash Apprentice
Right now, there is a chance that I will be driving down to the June 2nd tourny, along with a friend of mine and Buzz. It's not for sure because Buzz needs to get off work.

Gideon Isaac

Smash Rookie
I don't understand how announcing a tournament 3 weeks in advance minimum means there's not enough time for OOS to come? We choose dates based on who can come, so monthly is more flexible for those rare people than biweekly anyway.

It's not a coincidence that the top 5 and 7th all actually play outside of tournaments, while most of the rest of you rarely do. It's not the number of tournaments that's the problem....
When I said spoke of people I don't get to smash with very often, I was referring more so to Utah smashers. Because frankly the only time I smash with anyone other than Alex is at the tourneys. I agree completely that I need to smash with others outside the tourneys. So, if you got any room for another the next time you guys smash let me know. I don't want to invite myself when I not welcome; but let me if it's cool.

laozy

Smash Journeyman
of course....who doesn't play outside tournaments. what i'm trying to say is wouldn't be more fun and competitive if we do get to play more tournaments. like i said before...we can play for free so no one has to worry about making it to the biweekly or not. plus everyone's schedule is not as flexible as the other person, so a set date would help people plan ahead.
omg, THERE IS NEVER A BAD REASON TO HOST A BIWEEKLY. just whoever wants to come and practice and have fun...show up. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE PART OF IT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO.
IF THERE IS 5 OR MORE PEOPLE PLAYING....I'M GOING TO POST THE RESULTS
QUIT GIVING ME SUCH A HARD TIME!!!!!

edit: I'll smash with you Gid...just give me a call. come on...i just live down the block. :laugh:

lengeta

Smash Ace
I think everyone's on the same page here, you're all just looking at it differently.

One tournament a month is plenty. You get a smaller turnout with more, and have a lot of small tournaments doesn't look as appealing to OOSers or other non-regulars, they want to go to the big shi-bang.

Between tournaments there should definatly be smashing going on. It shouldn't be a "tournament," and there shouldn't be money involved (unless people want to MM or hold a mini-tourny themselves). BUT, these smashfests should be orginized, announced, and the community should know who's gonna be playing Smash, when they'll be playing, and where it'll be. As far as results go... I don't see a reason not to post them, but I also don't see a reason why anyone would really care. Techincally everything will effect the power rankings since playing more will give others a better idea of your skill, and that will translate to where people and the panelists think you belong on the rankings.

Basically, the more Smash the better, but when people are asking when there's a tourny happening, tell them they want to go to the big tournament but there are also other little events going on in the community.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Heyyyy, I'm available on the 2nd now! Laozy, you think you could pick me up from the airport? I can't get my tickets on the 30th, or 31st, so I'll let you know what time I'll be at the airport.

C!Z

Smash Lord
I'm down for as much Smashing as possible! H3ll I'm down for Weeklies haha!! Should do atleast the $2 thing though so there is somethin at stake(makes people play harder ;) )

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Doing that will probably take forever, and will leave no time for the Crew Battles. Chances are, we will barely reach 16 players, and no more than 20. So doing round robin polls to eliminate a couple of players is just a plain waste of time. Double-Elimination brackets works fine.

Hm...and there seems to be a smashfest going on right now. I could have made it if I was informed earlier... I guess I'll smash with me crew, then.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
:( I'm sorry I didnt tell you sooner but I just figured you probably wouldnt be able to come. As for the round robin, IF we get 20 or more people we'll do 4 pools and top 3 will advance from each pool. Then we'll do a 16-man bracket with 4 byes. It shouldn't take that much time.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I just want to fight everyone up north. I've never fought the famous Perfect Chaos one on one, and I need to be able to prove myself worthy to be on the power rankings. So yeah, my heart goes out to RR.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
how bout rr pools to 8-man bracket.....ohhhhhhh very tough.
I was actually thinking of cutting to top-8, if pure Double-Elimination won't happen. It just seems better than 75%+ of the people getting through RR polls, as a cut of about 25% isn't really worth about an hour of the tournament.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I was actually thinking of cutting to top-8, if pure Double-Elimination won't happen. It just seems better than 75%+ of the people getting through RR polls, as a cut of about 25% isn't really worth about an hour of the tournament.
Actually, only 3 people from each of the 4 pools would advance...so that would be an elimination of at least 40% of the people in the round robin stage.

Baka^ni

Smash Cadet
I think that we should do Double-Elimination that way it is random who you fight then we don't have to cut anyone out of the tournament.

If you want to fight a specific person then do it in friendlies and hope that you get paired with them in the tournament.

Baka^ni

Smash Cadet
I thought that it was randomly generated in the computer. Oh well. RR would be a different tournament setup from the previous ones. Change is sometimes a good thing.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I think that we should do Double-Elimination that way it is random who you fight then we don't have to cut anyone out of the tournament.

If you want to fight a specific person then do it in friendlies and hope that you get paired with them in the tournament.
You can lose more matches using Round Robin-- just as long as there are more than three people per pool. Because of that, you'll be playing more in RR than you would in Double Elim.

Top Bottom