• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I'm missing one. But I could be mistaken; I was too tired/lazy to take a "head" count. Also Layne you most assuredly left both your controller and the wii faceplates (?) at my house so, yeah.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
I think we need to start putting temp labels on our stuff for these things XD

And man, I forgot to get my hat. Now I have an actual reason to go up ^^

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
:D I'll grab that hat when I get home and put it somewhere I won't forget it. And I had that exact idea, so I took a twist tie and wrapped it on the end of my controller's cord ^_^.

And now that I think of it... I may be missing a black controller with a super crazily worn down (d-stick?) analog direction thing. So if that's what he has, it's pry mine.. and WHOA I don't think I've even talked to Yazuo or Kenny about brawl. They're probably completely oblivious... I'll have to talk to them!!!

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Woot! I'll be there for sure Sage!!

~Edit: I talked to Yazuo and he's going to come today for sure. Yay =).

On another note, those people that came yesterday, did you feel it was crowded really? we had like 15 people and I didn't think it was all that bad... we didn't even use the TV in the kitchen :S. So if you don't feel like coming because it will be crowded.... it won't be :lol:. So you should come :).

C!Z

Smash Lord
Sad day it is today... I've decided once there are no more Melee players or tourneys that I'm retiring from Smash. I've watched many videos and finally played Brawl and it's as horrible as I thought it was gonna be. I don't see how they could have fuhcked up that game so bad but they did. I know all you lil kids and other gamers who are amazed by graphics are thinking otherwise but it's the cold hard truth. So I'm thinkin there should be atleast 1 more Utah tourney that I'll be able to go to(Sorry Devin :( wish you had another ticket or somethin). On that note is anybody lookin to buy a Wii or know anybody that wants to buy a Wii? I'm serious about the Melee tourney though.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Sad day it is today... I've decided once there are no more Melee players or tourneys that I'm retiring from Smash. I've watched many videos and finally played Brawl and it's as horrible as I thought it was gonna be. I don't see how they could have fuhcked up that game so bad but they did. I know all you lil kids and other gamers who are amazed by graphics are thinking otherwise but it's the cold hard truth. So I'm thinkin there should be atleast 1 more Utah tourney that I'll be able to go to(Sorry Devin :( wish you had another ticket or somethin). On that note is anybody lookin to buy a Wii or know anybody that wants to buy a Wii? I'm serious about the Melee tourney though.
lol

Brawl noob.

YOU PLAYED FRICKIN' YUGIOH. With that in mind, there's no reason to not like Brawl, other than the fact that you're not good at it yet.

They didn't ruin anything. They reinvented everything-- which I think where the gold is in Brawl. It's a breath of fresh air from an old, stale game that we play too much, known as Super Smash Bros. Melee. Nothing but character and technique rediscoveries lay ahead. What is there to get pissy about? Play styles will change, and eventually, the same sort of scene will develop.

Get over it. New game! Practice starts next sunday.

wangston

Smash Lord
I'm going to BYU Provo next school year, fall and winter semesters. So anyone one now how much of a smash community there is there.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
In BYU itself? Not too much, but there's a decent amount around in the area that can keep you fresh and on your toes ^^

C!Z

Smash Lord
Re-invented what? Auto ledge grabbing? G4y! With every characters huge recovery and no real ledge guarding techniques that makes this game g4y. No L-Cancelling, g4y. Every character is floaty as ****, g4y. Among the many things I dislike about the game, I'm not the only one who isn't happy about this game. Your beloved Junpei isn't feelin the game yet either, maybe he will though who knows, various pros are dissatisfied with the game as well. I'm not here to change your mind about it, I posted to let you know that I'm retiring once Melee is finished. I'll play COD4 and Skate all day before I play that game again, you should be happy I'm leavin, I know a few fruit cakes who are.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Why? Because the time you've spent putting into the game is now only half applicable to this new version? Because people who couldn't figure out how to use the advanced techniques of Melee are now brought up to your level, or in your view, you down to theirs? You're no longer a "pro" but just another player?

If any of those are your reasoning, then you better **** well leave. Once something actually fun comes out, people whine and ***** just because they can't be the winner all the time. And don't even think of trying to pull a hypocrite line on me. I do say Falco's, Sonic's, and Marth's FSs are all overpowered and ********, but that's not enough reason for me to say that the game is ********. There's an actual MODE for playing rather than a marathon computer mode. People who aren't of the gamer genre can actually have FUN rather than work hard to just stay alive. It's a party again, not a hyped up scene for those who only care about winning.

Like I said, you better **** well leave, because you obviously can't have fun unless you're in a class of your own rather than like the rest of us.

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
You shouldn't go to tournament if you want this game to be a party game anyway, and who cares about FS's they're going to be banned in most tournaments anyway.

Nanaya

Smash Rookie
Thanks again to S@G3 for letting me come over and play Brawl today! I just hope it doesn't make the wait for this last week worse. :(

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
I don't go to tournaments for a party game. I go because I have fun playing with the people. There's a slim as hell chance of me winning anything. Heck, I'll leave some tournaments early if I'm not feeling right at all just because I'm not having fun.

Gojira

Smash Lord
Why do people quit stuff because it is different then what they had before? Brawl is a new game, this is going to be a fun tourney game to gather and play just like melee was.

So with that said. It is sad to see C!Z leave for a reason such as this and I hope junpei does not follow the same decisions.

PS

I had a Metal gear time tonight with all the METAL smashers. Metal Fun it was.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Re-invented what? Auto ledge grabbing? G4y! With every characters huge recovery and no real ledge guarding techniques that makes this game g4y. No L-Cancelling, g4y. Every character is floaty as ****, g4y. Among the many things I dislike about the game, I'm not the only one who isn't happy about this game.
I honestly don't see how you don't see this game as a breath of fresh air. The fact that this game isn't EXACTLY like Melee means that everything needs to be, as I said, reinvented.

Auto ledge grabbing? Let's see who the first person in Utah is that can actually ledge guard without hogging. You seem to be a big fan of cheap kills.

Huge recovery? With better recovery, come more fierce matches. No more one-sided insta-kill broken kills. How is that a bad thing? Oh yeah, I forgot, you like cheap kills

No L-Cancelling? That one, I've gatta admit, I'm sad about. Though it's a loss, it's definitely not a big enough loss for me to get butt hurt over.

Every Character is Floaty? Cool beans. Just because they're all floaty doesn't mean that all characters are at the same speed-- once again, new strategies come into play here. How do you not enjoy the fact that you need to rediscover characters?

Among the many things I like about this game, I'm not the only one out there that enjoys it.

Your beloved Junpei isn't feelin the game yet either, maybe he will though who knows, various pros are dissatisfied with the game as well. I'm not here to change your mind about it, I posted to let you know that I'm retiring once Melee is finished.
Junpei is also a fan of fast kills, and gimped characters. ;) Various pros are satisfied. I'm just disappointed that those of you that ARE disappointed are giving up on it that quickly.

I'll play COD4 and Skate all day before I play that game again, you should be happy I'm leavin, I know a few fruit cakes who are.
Enjoy your Yugioh. :p We need more crazy *****es like you in this smash scene though. I think you should at least give it a month before selling your Wii.

Why? Because the time you've spent putting into the game is now only half applicable to this new version? Because people who couldn't figure out how to use the advanced techniques of Melee are now brought up to your level, or in your view, you down to theirs? You're no longer a "pro" but just another player?
That's not true. Pros at Melee are going to be pros at Brawl. It honestly doesn't matter that the techniques are gone. Melee Pros not only had good techniques, but good mindgames-- which is what Brawl is all about. For example, Devin isn't a technical players at all-- yet he's considered one of the best Smashers in UT. Do you think that he'll suck at Brawl? He won't. We know how to play Super Smash Bros, with or without advanced techniques.

If any of those are your reasoning, then you better **** well leave. Once something actually fun comes out, people whine and ***** just because they can't be the winner all the time. And don't even think of trying to pull a hypocrite line on me. I do say Falco's, Sonic's, and Marth's FSs are all overpowered and ********, but that's not enough reason for me to say that the game is ********. There's an actual MODE for playing rather than a marathon computer mode. People who aren't of the gamer genre can actually have FUN rather than work hard to just stay alive. It's a party again, not a hyped up scene for those who only care about winning.
Tsuteto, I can't say this enough-- you're in the wrong place. If you want to play Brawl or Melee for fun, the last place you want to be is the SmashBoards Utah thread. We're ALL competitive players, and we ALL want to play to win.

Like I said, you better **** well leave, because you obviously can't have fun unless you're in a class of your own rather than like the rest of us.
I can see why C!Z and other smashers are disappointed in Brawl. It's definitely a different style of play. Though it's still Super Smash Bros, it's not Melee anymore. And that's tough, after they've gotten as far as they have.

They just need to give it a few chances. They don't have a god complex or anything, they're just disappointed that a game that they loved isn't the same anymore.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
There's a slim as hell chance of me winning anything.
With that attitude, that's exactly the results you will get.

You know how you win? You practice.

And I don't just mean practice a little, I mean thousands and thousands of hours. It's not enough just to play the game for thousands of hours, but you have to fight and lose over and over and over again until you start to win.

Once you start to win, you find someone who's better than you and start losing again.

You know what? You have to be a disaster before you can be a master, and hard work overcomes talent every time.

~S@G3~

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
SAGE#234
Thanks Layne for bringing brawl over. It was sweet. There were a few to many people thought, maily because people brought people with them that didn't ask to come. So the next time I have a smash thing at my house when you ask to come mention EVERYONE you are going to bring. Anyway thanks for coming. Brawl is amazing.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
<Insert Xsyven's insight here>
I guess I'm limiting what I'm saying as fun, which is causing some confusion. Albeit I do have fun with the randomosity of things like items and stages (except the new ice climbers stage. That thing can melt in a fire), there still is that satisfaction of beating someone, even if it is by luck (see: yours and my match against Peach with the miraculous two stitch faces XD). However, if you're going to tournaments just for winning, you're also, IMO, essentially going just for the money. This is why I enjoy going to the DDR tournaments a bit more because most of us go to have fun meeting with each other, and then the likes of IHOP right afterwards. We're not huge on the whole "win" thing, just to play around. A tournament for us is more or less of an excuse of a get together, which is how I still see tournaments for the smash scene.

More or less just our different views clash. I'm more of an oddball in the society, I guess yeah, but it doesn't mean I don't exactly fit. Just my priorities of fun are different ^^

With that attitude, that's exactly the results you will get.

You know how you win? You practice.

And I don't just mean practice a little, I mean thousands and thousands of hours. It's not enough just to play the game for thousands of hours, but you have to fight and lose over and over and over again until you start to win.

Once you start to win, you find someone who's better than you and start losing again.

You know what? You have to be a disaster before you can be a master, and hard work overcomes talent every time.
I've already practiced one thing, and it's already screwed my life over somewhat. Gaming doesn't have too much of a future for someone who practices it, only for a few years. And practicing on the smash scene would also be hard simply for the fact that the time frames I have free are the time frames that are blocked for the other people because they're in school, I am not. There's only one person I can play, and it has gotten to the point where a little over 80% of the time I'll win with whatever character I choose, even when I choose the character first and he counters my character with one of his (e.g., I pick Peach, he picks Marth).

Furthermore, I don't think I've EVER walked away from a tourney without having learned something when I stick all the way through. The past two in which I stayed all the way practically, the first time Jeyt taught me about L-Cancelling, in which I didn't even know about the advanced moves until then, and the second time I figured out that I can kick major *** with Peach. From there, when I play with my friend, I try to incorporate new techniques I've seen people use, or things I feel might work. More or less, I play the game in my head rather than with someone else, and then incorporate the game I've played to the game I'm playing.

That... probably sounds confusing. And I really need to clean up my language still XD

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Why is everyone getting butt hurt over C!Z posting his impressions of Brawl? Is it because he's leaving and you're all going to miss him or is it because he's leaving and you guys don't like that he doesn't like Brawl?

lengeta

Smash Ace
Yeah, I think the game is getting judged far too quickly on both sides. With a new engine every thing's going to work differently, and a lot of advance stuff is out, new stuff is in. C!Z doesn't like it. You can babble on and on forever about how he just wants a game he can "cheat" at, but it's pointless. He doesn't like it. His reasons aren't needed, and C!Z, you don't have to justify your opinion with 'pro's similar opinions. If he's not playing it because he can't beat you, then you're just saying you're playing because you might be able to beat him.

It looks to me that you guys are putting him on this "mightier-than-thou" pedestal, he's not doing that himself. If C!Z's cheap kills piss you off, play my ****ing Pit. I won Fallen Prophet's ICs and he's a WAY more experienced and a better player than me. This game might really end up being ****ty as C!Z thinks it will.

And it was fun letting all you guys play. It's always so much better when it's late and everyone's gone so we can play some 1v1s, so it's going to be awesome once there's more than one copy to go around. I'll post videos as soon as I can get them up, and sorry I was only able to get Friday's.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Ya thanks s@g3 for the Brawl at your house this week is going to suck until it comes out. Thanks Layan for bringing it by.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
CREA, I'm sad that C!Z is leaving because I'll miss him... :( the fact that he doesn't think he likes Brawl is unfortunate, but it doesn't make me mad or anything. After ~35 hours of play time [or waiting my turn to play..] I'm pretty confident in my opinion of the game :).

C!Z, I really think you ought to give it some more time; the first time I played I was like, what is this?? (well okay, second time.. killing lengetas falco for my first time ever playing was too epic to not like :lol:) and all in all it just seemed so weird, plus I would always wavedash into the air out of habit. Now that I'm used to it though, its ridiculously fun... sure edgeguarding isn't as important (although you can still g4y people's recoveries sometimes, even with auto ledge grab) but that really does make for better battles imo. Even then, being floaty may make some edge guarding easier; that is, metor spikes have much more range than we're used to. That plus the fact that when I started trying stuff like dash shield grabbing, it worked really well.. so once the metagame is more known, more and more stuff will surface.

I don't know how many times I wished I played melee when it first came out, or knew about advanced techniques early... now we all can do that, as well as help discover those advanced techniques. Just my two cents :p.

slave1

Smash Lord
yay 2 cents. anyways it was way hard to get use to the first couple of games. without wave dashing it was strange but it is awsome now. PT is king. well C!Z if your leaving, i had fun playing with ya.

YazYaz

Smash Apprentice
Why is everyone getting butt hurt over C!Z posting his impressions of Brawl? Is it because he's leaving and you're all going to miss him or is it because he's leaving and you guys don't like that he doesn't like Brawl?
I'm going to be sad he's leaving :urg: ciz is a beast when it comes to melee. i'll still play melee with you ciz!!!

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Both. C!Z is one of the not-100%-nerd types that this scene really only has a few of. Though I think he plays more stuff competitively than anyone else in this scene. Kind of weird, right?

Also, the way he explained why he hated the game are the very same reasons that I liked it. So it kind of just blows my mind, ya know? If he was growing tired of smash, and just didn't like the game anymore, then yeah, go 'head, but if he's not giving the new game more than a one-day chance, then that's just lame. LAME, CIZ! :p

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
So ya C!Z that sucks to see you leave man, now does anyone think they can house me for the 2 or 3 days im there or like someone house me one night and then ill go to someone elses house the next day or something??

laozy

Smash Journeyman
yea, so i guess c!z is leaving. haha good deal.

i havent played brawl yet but it look ok. who knows...its still new. so whoever is hosting brawl/melee fest this sat, let me know. i took work off. so let it go to good use.

hey ryan, if you're here for the weekend then its good with me. otherwise no. haha

lengeta

Smash Ace
I'll be completely free from Sunday to the following Monday (8 days), no work or anything. If no fests go down, we should at least engage in some online play. Test that jazz out, see how it feels. Online tourny maybe? Could be fun, and it'd be easy to extend it over several days and whatnot.

Videos are almost entirely encoded, just a few more to go. I've uploaded 10 of the matches so far, but I'll wait till their all uploaded to post a link, until then you can go find them on your own if you want. There's a LOT of matches this time around, and even a few 1v1s to watch! Also, if you notice someone playing your name that's not you (impossible, I know), you should let me know. I know it happened a couple times, and not a big deal, but yeah.

::EDIT::
Oh, and super-mega-mini-RR-tourny results for kicks:

.............Layne..Gojira..Bobo..Kevin
Layne...............3-0.....2-1....2-0
Gojira......0-3..............2-0....2-0
Bobo.......1-2.....0-2.............2-0
Kevin......0-2.....0-2.....0-2.........

Layne: 3 wins, no losses (7-1)
Gojira: 2 wins, 1 losses (4-3)
Bobo: 1 win, 2 losses (3-4)
Kyle: no wins, 3 losses (0-6)

Baka^ni

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry to hear that you will be retiring C!Z. You are/were a really great smasher! I was looking forward to playing against you in brawl, but since you are retiring after melee. Lets make sure we have one last best of three before you go!

Utah, you crazy freaking state. Its been fun. Now I announce my official retirement so that I may pursue my dream of wearing church clothes every day of the week. Expect the triumphant return of AHotGreasedUp[insert character here] 4 luvin' in 2 years.

J to the P, Phil, C!z with a C, Tin-man, Legendary Buzz, Legendary Buzz wife, BC, X bros, Bobobo Bo Bobobo, Jira, FtS, Lengeta, Slave, Prophet, Yaz^2, Kenny Neth, Khom the child prodigy, Xsvy poo, and the rest of you guys who's forum names I can't just throw off the top of my head crack me up. Thanks for all the entertainment! Not to mention random housing, tournaments, and hours wasted on these spammalicious message boards. And now, my farewell bunny. Please take a moment to stare into it's eyes and ponder the meaning of your very existence.

(\(\
(=':')
(,(")(")

This is AHGUJ4L' signing out.

Mr Hot! It's been a pleasure knowing you. I am a new member to this spamtastic forum and would like to take this opportunity to swoop in with my similarly titled pokemon alias. I shall enjoy my stay here and will await your return from Fresno! ^_^ cheers!

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Oh man, of course the two videos that have me are my worse matches (killed my Falco's final smash twice, anyone, anyone?) Still though, goood times, gooooood times.

Meh, in due time I'll be placing in my "hiatus" of sorts due to mission as well... yay?

Top Bottom