• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uthrow or Dthrow?

Oskurito

Smash Lord
d-throw is best against fast fallers imo. because falcon seems to do it faster giving less time to di. Also, if they don't tech the d-throw you can do anything to keep hitting them like knee>grab, stomp, raptor or just tech chase.

U-throw is a must against sheik and it could combo marth into uair (not sure what %). Also you can link uthrow>nair several times against ganon or do it once and then d-throw for the tech chase. D-throw works against most of the characters, the most useful follow ups are nair and knee (nair for comboing) You can grab mario from 0 and nair combo him to death. lol just space well.

Doomgaze

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Oskurito, but for Falcon you wanna throw him up because you can tap reset him. Falcon is a heavyweight, which -- I'm not sure if you know about-- makes you stay in down throw animation longer which means it's harder to follow up. For this reason, up throw all heavyweights.

Against animals I prefer down throw because it's fast and can be acted out of quickly. Also it can be followed up with drop zones around platforms and edges so keep that in mind. I still use up throw now and then, especially under low platforms, but mostly to mix things up.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
against fastfallers its pure preference until about 50-60% when you should start uthrowing

marth and sheik i would dthrow until about 30%, then uthrow after that

jiggs, peach, lightweight low tiers like kirby, zelda and ness you should dthrow always, except you can uthrow uair peach at lower percents if you want

pretty much everyone else you should uthrow

Burr

Smash Apprentice
you should do both so they never know what you're gona do and you can capitalize on their DI's. tech chase too.

Foxy

Smash Master
i personally prefer uthrow on fast-fallers at low percentages, it seems easier to tech chase as you have more time to watch their di, they usually land closer to you than with dthrow, you have a bit more time to think, and eventually you can tap them.

Wangster

Smash Apprentice
D-throw all day!
i lol'd at this one

i mostly upthrow spacies for tech-chasing,f-smash n knees. i dthrow if i'm facing near the edge cuz they either will tech in place, tech towards u or not tech at all which is a good opportunity for knees.

for sheik d-throw--> techase/combo. if lyk 70% or over i will automatic knee--> edgeguard or uthrow-->uair-->knee. sheik has to die w/ a knee or else falcon's screwed.

for marth pretty much da same thing as sheik excepti think it takes a lpwer perrcent to uthrow knee i'm not sure.

for floaties... wat Justblaze647 said :laugh:

Scar

#HarveyDent
Dthrow has more hitstun, so vs floaties and Marth/Sheik dthrow is a better option a lot of the time, until about 30% vs Marth and Sheik as DrewB said.

vs spacies a lot of the advice you got was good, especially mix it up, since a lot of people get used to the uthrow tech timing and miss techs on dthrows. If you tech chase regrab learn the uthrow stuff, it's way easier.

Tech predicting with stomp/knee is easier with dthrow.

Top Bottom