• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vectoring: The replacement to Directional Influence in Smash 4

Raijinken

Smash Master
I do not know the answers to 1 and 2.
An easy way to find out if additional vectors are added or replaced would be to mash the direction repeatedly. If they're replaced, there would be little difference (only amounting to the time the stick spent in neutral), if they were added, mashing Down repeatedly against a vertical attack would significantly reduce your knockback.

FormlessD

Smash Rookie
As I understand it, VI influences trajectory, only visually.

Behind the scenes, VI makes constant adjustments to the character's vector, as illustrated in the image below.

In this example, a character is sent upwards at a 90° angle, but left VI is used to influence the character's vector position to the left. It's important to note that the character never translates along the diagonal (black) slope, which is how DI would influence the knockback. Instead, in effect Smash 4 knockback is only applied along the Y-axis, while VI "teleports" you along the X-axis; momentum is maintained after you've "teleported."

As you can see, the vector influenced trajectory is the same (90°), and the total travel distance using VI is the same as the original trajectory travel distance. This is why vector influencing your character in a perpendicular direction to your original trajectory doesn't help you survive longer.
Has it been confirmed that the VI kicks in throughout the flight path?

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
So is the only cause of not dying after seeing black thunder due to VI'ing into a corner that doesn't cross the blast zone then?

Has it been confirmed that the VI kicks in throughout the flight path?
That's an interesting question. Basically if you VI halfway into your launch do you end up with less VI than if you VI'd the hit immediately? If that's true it certainly takes some skill to recognize your flight patch and VI appropriately in the instant you're being hit, very akin to DI.

I can see this being promising when people start shuffling the moves they land because that 105% increase for landing a fresh move is really signicant so it causes people to be more creative with how they hit people and how they follow up.

Last edited:

T-block

B2B TST
As I understand it, VI influences trajectory, only visually.

Behind the scenes, VI makes constant adjustments to the character's vector, as illustrated in the image below.

In this example, a character is sent upwards at a 90° angle, but left VI is used to influence the character's vector position to the left. It's important to note that the character never translates along the diagonal (black) slope, which is how DI would influence the knockback. Instead, in effect Smash 4 knockback is only applied along the Y-axis, while VI "teleports" you along the X-axis; momentum is maintained after you've "teleported."

As you can see, the vector influenced trajectory is the same (90°), and the total travel distance using VI is the same as the original trajectory travel distance. This is why vector influencing your character in a perpendicular direction to your original trajectory doesn't help you survive longer.
Was this tested?

It's easy enough to test by holding right when hit, and then letting go.

If the trajectory bends (so that your character returns to a purely upwards trajectory), then this is correct. If not, then rather it's a modification of the initial knockback (which was my understanding...)

Tuffi

Smash Rookie
NNID
7uff1Mii
Apparently the range of influence is in fact a square. So it really takes TWO vectors, one for each axis, instead of the one more intuitively implied by control stick input.
I see, I thought a circle with the radius of 20(for the vector) would be the most accurate, but if there are really two vectors like you say then the OP is indeed correct, but needs more explanation on that.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Just briefly tested this.

Stage: Battle Field (Final Destination version)
Move being used: Mega Upper/Mega Man's Up Tilt (Fresh)
Testing: Vertical KOs
Vector Input: Straight Down

Opponent: Link
KO percentage w/o vectoring: 87-88%
KO percentage with vectoring: 129%
KO percentage difference: 41-42%

Opponent: Pikachu
KO percentage w/o vectoring: 75%
KO percentage with vectoring: Somewhere between 107-111% (brother just left/wasn't able to finish testing)
KO percentage difference: 32-36% (not complete data)

Tested on the 3DS Smash demo. Link is the heaviest character, Pikachu is the lightest.

there are a lot of things to factor in not just knock back. with a 100% vertical knock back situation gravity (fall speed) is going to make a huge difference. For every extra frame the character lives they get their fall speed acceleration value multiplied into the vector as well.

Not only is link much heavier than pika, he falls much faster than pika too, and pika (I'm guessing) falls much faster than jiggs. these are going to drastically change the difference in kill percentage (this same thing happens with DI as well)

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Have we actually seen this be the case? Hitstun is still lengthy enough to allow for combos, even if you can launch yourself further during combos by using DI in smash 4.

Air speed, ground speed, mobile attacks, large hitboxes, and ranged attacks can still be used if players end up using DI to be launched further during combo chains.
Talking strictly true combos, this pretty much eliminates them. They were already frame-tight, and Vectoring allows it to have the same amount of hitstun but more knockback. Think of the 70% Mario combos that we were all excited about, things like utilt -> utilt and maybe (someone should test) utilt -> uair won't work.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I'd just call it Trajectory Manipulation. It's a defensive maneuver. If Blast Zones were smaller I doubt it'd be that big of a deal.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Again, testing is needed. And just because utilt-utilt may not work anymore doesn't mean utilt-uair or utilt-nair won't work. Getting some extra launch distance to avoid a certain combo doesn't mean your opponent won't have a different move they can use to continue the combo.

I'd just call it Trajectory Manipulation. It's a defensive maneuver. If Blast Zones were smaller I doubt it'd be that big of a deal.
You manipulated your trajectory with DI too. Why didn't we call DI something more technical like Trajectory Manipulation, then? Because we knew DI was a word with more conveyance and was a better word to use in commentary situations. It was more elegant and made more sense to actually use. Technical words like 'vectors' and 'trajectory' and such aren't good for these applications, which is why we've come up with more elegant words. ie Wavedashing, DI, short-hop, edgehog, pivot-grab, dash attack cancel, tech, etc.

Imo, when it comes to naming, we're getting caught in the 'this is a new technical mechanic, let's name it something mechanical and technical" trap.

Last edited by a moderator:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Talking strictly true combos, this pretty much eliminates them. They were already frame-tight, and Vectoring allows it to have the same amount of hitstun but more knockback. Think of the 70% Mario combos that we were all excited about, things like utilt -> utilt and maybe (someone should test) utilt -> uair won't work.
I wouldn't worry about Mario of all characters. His kit is so big for combos(true or not) that this isn't a large factor. you can just supplement a Utilt with a Uair at this point. And someone already tested MArio combos with vectoring. It took upwards of 50-60 percent for it to even factor in to Uair combos(I imagine against a mid-sized character)

I think a lot of the worry is a bit disappointing, if it's this game's new DI I expect people to find counters for it. Give it time.

Last edited:

Conda

My question is, why didn't we call melee DI something different, with Vectoring in the title? ie "rotational vectoring"?

If DI is fine to use in melee, it's be a fine term to use in smash 4 for the exact same reasons. It was technically vague back in melee and that wasn't a problem. I'm thankful we didn't call it vectoring back then.

I see no reason to change our minds about how we name mechanics - trying to make a mechanic sound more technical than it should sound is a misstep and alienates people. We've been good with our naming for mechanics so far, lets not crap out now and start naming things "frame-eliminating-dodges" or "variable input dashes" or "additive fraction jabbing". Or "vectoring".

Last edited:

fraggle

Smash Cadet
Heres a question....with this mechanic can you do a version of crouch canceling against projectiles like marios fire balls and sheiks needles? could you hold down so you dont get the small lift when you are hit?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
My question is, why didn't we call melee DI something different, with Vectoring in the title? ie "rotational vectoring"?

If DI is fine to use in melee, it's be a fine term to use in smash 4 for the exact same reasons. It was technically vague back in melee and that wasn't a problem. I'm thankful we didn't call it vectoring back now, and I hope we don't keep calling it vectoring in smash 4.

A vector is both direction and magnitude. Melee only changes direction, as such we called it Directional Influence. Smash 4 has the possibility of changing both or changing just one, either direction or magnitude, thus Vector Influence. We didn't call Melee's "vague" it was describing exactly what it did, just like this one is. The problem is some people don't really know what a vector is.

VI is probably the best name for it. It describes perfectly what is going on, you are influencing your knockback vector. Plus it also makes a quick connection in a player's mind with DI.

VI? What's VI? How's it different from Melee's DI? Well, one only has the possibility of changing only direction, while the other has the possibility to change everything about the vector (both direction and magnitude). Pretty simple concept.

If you name it DI some newer player's might not realize it's different from previous iterations, plus when you are talking about it with people who play multiple games you'll always have to specify which kind of DI you're referring to.

Last edited:

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
Anything describing the technique referencing a vector implies that DI doesn't use vectors. Bottom line. They are not new to this series. Don't call it DI. Whatever, but "Vectoring" is just trying to sound cool.
I think we should keep DI and just a knowledge that it has been reworked for a few reasons.

You still hold a direction to influence where exactly attacks send you. The implementation has changed but the purpose of the mechanic is the same. You still hold a direction to live longer, you still hold a direction to escape followups or to make your opponent guess on their followup.

Old DI was technically vectoring as well. It changed the vector you were sent towards. The difference is that the knock back power was constant.

Vectoring is too abstract of a name. Yes I know knock back is changed along with direction, but we still call tilt attacks tilts even though you can't tilt a 3ds slide pad.
I didn't realize that the direction of the control stick could be used as a descriptor of DI.

Last edited:

Conda

A vector is both direction and magnitude. Melee only changes direction, as such we called it Directional Influence. Smash 4 has the possibility of changing both or changing just one, either direction or magnitude, thus Vector Influence. We didn't call Melee's "vague" it was describing exactly what it did, just like this one is. The problem is some people don't really know what a vector is.
And that problem is why it should be avoided as a name.

The whole point of naming a technical mechanic is to make it 'make sense' immediately, and to make it usable and effective as a word that commentators and player players can use conversationally.

Directional Influence - oh, you influence your direction.
Spot-Dodge- oh, you dodge on the spot.
Short-Hop - oh, you do a small jump.

"Vectoring" exercises bad naming practises and isn't useful. Fighting games name their technical mechanics something non-technical sounding - that's the whole point of naming them. We may as well call Dodging "L-input attack cancelling" and Spot Dodging "hitbox -liminating"

But we don't, we call them interesting and easy-to-grasp terms. A Short-Hop isn't called a "fractional jump", it is Short-Hop." And thank the gods we didn't name "wavedash" something technical-sounding and goofy.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
If the naming of this term is such a pertinent issue, why not make a thread for it instead of discussing it here? This thread should be more focused on actual applications, not nomenclature

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer

The whole point of naming a technical mechanic is to make it 'make sense' immediately, and to make it usable and effective as a word that commentators and player players can use conversationally.

"Vectoring" exercises bad naming practises and isn't useful. Fighting games name their technical mechanics something non-technical sounding - that's the whole point of naming them. We may as well call Dodging "L-input attack cancelling" and Spot Dodging "hitbox -liminating"

But we don't, we call them interesting and easy-to-grasp terms. A Short-Hop isn't called a "fractional jump", it is Short-Hop." And thank the gods we didn't name "wavedash" something technical-sounding and goofy.
Wavedash sounds super goofy/technical, actually.

If we'd called L-cancelling "Soft landing" like Nintendo does, and called Wavedashing "airdodge slide", I'm almost sure we wouldn't get half as many casuals who get caught up in calling them glitches.

I like VI more than DI for certain reasons:

1. The person being attacked now has more influence on his/her direction
This is a negative, not a positive! One of the biggest issues with Brawl is that the defender had too many options for the attacker to reliably cover out of a hit.

Smash 4 seemed like it would improve on this by keeping the opponent in hitstun (so he could only DI- no million options like in Brawl), but with Vector Influence + still being able to airdodge out of hitstun there's still going to be a much worse combo game than Melee/64.

I think campy characters will still be best in Smash 4. It still retains the biggest issues of Brawl:

1. Hard to set up kills out of hits
2. Hard to kill at low percentage because of overpowered recoveries (made even worse)
3. Way too good shield, fast drop times and little shieldstun
4. No options out of a run makes running bad

There's definitely big improvements from Brawl, like more hitstun, easier shieldbreaks, and lower landing lag. But there's also huge steps back, like Vector Influence, even more buffed recoveries/no edgehogging, etc.

At least they nerfed Meta Knight.

Last edited:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
EDIT: Didn't mean to double post but I can't figure out how to delete this...

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

"Vector Influence" - Oh you influence your vector. But what is a Vector? (3 second google search) - Vector is direction and distance - Oh so I can influence my direction and my distance.

It's just as simple. Everyone has access to google if they don't know a 10th grade math term.

If you call it DI some people won't realize it's different from Melee. Other's won't realize you can alter your distance. Other's won't realize that you aren't actually "influencing/altering" your direction (like in Melee) you are literally replacing it.

It's much easier to find the definition of a vector online than finding the definition of a Smash-specific advanced technique, specially when there are already other advanced techniques with the same name.

Edit: We could also call it DDI (Distance & Direction Influence) for the mathematically challenged. This still makes a distinction between it and DI, while still emphasizing that there is a connection between both. It's just a longer abbreviation which doesn't roll as easily off the tongue.

Last edited:

Conda

If we'd called L-cancelling "Soft landing" like Nintendo does, and called Wavedashing "airdodge slide", I'm almost sure we wouldn't get half as many casuals who get caught up in calling them glitches.
This is actually a good point, hadn't thought about that.

It strengthens the argument that "less technical-sounding names are better", especially for what the whole point of nicknaming something technical should be - to make it easier to grasp, esplain, and integrate into conversation.

Last edited:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
"Vector Influence" - Oh you influence your vector. But what is a Vector? (3 second google search) - Vector is direction and distance - Oh so I can influence my direction and my distance.

It's just as simple. Everyone has access to google if they don't know a 10th grade math term.

If you call it DI some people won't realize it's different from Melee. Other's won't realize you can alter your distance. Other's won't realize that you aren't actually "influencing/altering" your direction (like in Melee) you are literally replacing it.

It's much easier to find the definition of a vector online than finding the definition of a Smash-specific advanced technique, specially when there are already other advanced techniques with the same name.

Edit: We could also call it DDI (Distance & Direction Influence) for the mathematically challenged. This still makes a distinction between it and DI, while still emphasizing that there is a connection between both. It's just a longer abbreviation which doesn't roll as easily off the tongue.
I'll probably end up calling it VI for Vector Influence. Makes it easy to use it in the same way we use DI now. "Oh, he has really good VI".

It strengthens the argument that "less technical-sounding names are better", especially for what the whole point of nicknaming something technical should be - to make it easier to grasp, esplain, and integrate into conversation.
I've had a ton of people think wavedashing was some kind of technique that Smash players use instead of running that made them invincible or other silly things, when it's really just a little slide. I definitely agree on simple names having a positive effect on our PR.

That said, I actually think vector influence is a really good name. It's very straightforward.

Last edited:

kupo15

Smash Hero
but with Vector Influence + still being able to airdodge out of hitstun there's still going to be a much worse combo game than Melee/64.
Not to be picky but Brawl was the only game where you could airdodge out of hitstun. If you can't airdodge before you go into the tumble then you aren't air dodging out of hitstun and I pretty sure you have to wait until tumble to airdodge from the videos I've seen.

In any case I agree with your post. I think VI plus Brawl Air dodging kills the game. Well I think that Brawl air dodging kills smash but VI makes this much worse

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
So, you are influencing direction like with DI, but now you can also change the strength of the knockback?
Seems more intuitive and I always thought I was affecting knockback in the previous games anyway, amazed ya even saw a difference and were able to comprehend what it meant.

At last we have an answer to the seemingly random kill % and seemingly large blastzones (which still seem huge to me on some stages)

Using your previous example, if you are being knocked up at 90 degrees with a knockback force of 100 and you hold down to reduce the knockback to 80, does this change your direction? Like, do you move horizontally at all?
Also, if you were to only slightly tilt the control pad down, would it reduce the knockback force by only 5 points, 95?

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

Yet "air dodge slide" is exactly the kind of name you are fighting against right now and wanting to name something with some other name that doesn't convey what it does because what it does is "too technical".

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Horizontal directions DO change your trajectory! Quite a bit. But the vertical component of your knockback remains unchanged, and you still die at the same percents.
Wouldn't the vertical component of the trajectory increase if you still die while shifting the trajectory to the left or right? Say being hit straight up at 100 just barely kills you. If you can move the trajectory to the left or right then the vertical component must be higher than 100 to still kill you.

I may be wrong in thinking this but it sounds like a perpendicular input increases the knockback factor if it can still kill while affecting you trajectory

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Not to be picky but Brawl was the only game where you could airdodge out of hitstun. If you can't airdodge before you go into the tumble then you aren't air dodging out of hitstun and I pretty sure you have to wait until tumble to airdodge from the videos I've seen.

In any case I agree with your post. I think VI plus Brawl Air dodging kills the game. Well I think that Brawl air dodging kills smash but VI makes this much worse
Sorry, I used the wrong word. What I meant to say is that in Smash 4 you can airdodge out of tumble.

In 64, there was no airdodging. In Melee, you couldn't airdodge out of hitstun or tumble. In Brawl, you can airdodge out of hitstun and tumble. In Smash 4, you can't airdodge out of hitstun, but you can airdodge out of tumble the instance you are out of hitstun.

In Melee, you had to use an attack or jump to break tumble (or jiggle your analog stick for a second). Hitstun isn't actually as strong in Melee as people think it is, but a big part of combos is frame traps. There are a ton of situations in Melee where your opponent technically gets out of hitstun right before you hit them, but you hit them again before they can get any moves out to break tumble.

There's, particularly with spacies, a lot of situations where they have to choose between eating another hit or wasting their jump to escape the combo and being in a bad position.

In Smash 4, you can airdodge out of combos that would've taken advantage of your tumble in Melee. So it still has a much weaker combo game than Melee, and then add vector influence which lets people move away further from you during the combo...that makes it pretty bad.

Last edited:

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Do you commonly have multiple forward-facing attacks that send forward and backwards?
No but the direction is still relevant. For instance in your scenario where Im likely in threat of dying off the side, I have to decide between shorter knockback, or achieving greater height offstage for better recovery.
It is Vector Rotation, not addition.
Vector rotation is a more convenient form of a specific type of vector addition, which is fine if youre just speaking about melee and brawl. But when youre trying to compare two systems it's useful to jump into a common language.
@ Strong Badam Strong Badam , hopefully this hasn't been asked already, but have you been able to figure out anything of the basis for the amount of vectoring you can apply?

Using made up numbers, in your example you get hit by 100 knock-back-units (KBU) and vector 20 (up, down, left, or right). If you got hit by 50 KBU, would you still be able to add/subtract 20 KBU? Or is it a percentage? (get hit by 50, add/subtract 10)

If it's a set number, that means you have HUGE influence over weak hits (for example, hold up on Mario utilt and go way too far for followup, hold down and go nowhere). If it's a percentage it might not be enough to get people out of combos.
Not sure if you got your answer, but he answered this earlier. Its percentage based.
purple here is not optimal. When compared with the red line that leads to the lower left corner of the blue box, It's the same distance from the top while being closer to the right side of blast zone. So while it's the same as far as getting KO'd from the top, it's worse horizontally.

you might have a point if you said ending up at the intersection between the left side of the blue square and the top of the blast zone would be better, since you have a bit more leeway for recovery, but that's a very risky thing to do for not much of a reward.
Yes but because of how vectoring works this is no longer optimal. In melee yes the purple trajectory would be the best one because it would allow you to survive the same hit at higher knockback than the red one, but in smash4 the purple line is subotimal because you are not decreasing your distance traveled by as much as you could.
As mentioned, distance traveled is not the only consideration because of the different paths that may lead to the blastzone.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

This is a negative, not a positive! One of the biggest issues with Brawl is that the defender had too many options for the attacker to reliably cover out of a hit.

Smash 4 seemed like it would improve on this by keeping the opponent in hitstun (so he could only DI- no million options like in Brawl), but with Vector Influence + still being able to airdodge out of hitstun there's still going to be a much worse combo game than Melee/64.

I think campy characters will still be best in Smash 4. It still retains the biggest issues of Brawl:

2. Hard to kill at low percentage because of overpowered recoveries (made even worse)

There's definitely big improvements from Brawl, like more hitstun, easier shieldbreaks, and lower landing lag. But there's also huge steps back, like Vector Influence, even more buffed recoveries/no edgehogging, etc.

At least they nerfed Meta Knight.

2. Recoveries themselves might have been buffed but ledge magnets are gone, fall speed has been increased, air dodge has been severly nerfed in terms of lag and hitstun is back making gimping make a comeback. Overall with all this factored in together recovering to the stage was actually nerfed from brawl.

4. This game has better options out of run than Brawl had with the pivot tilts and pivot smashes. Plus the new auto cancel mechanics on aerials make approaching with aerials way more viable than Brawl.

We don't know if Vector Influence actually affects the game more than DI did, we have no values to calculate that. For all we know VI affects the game less than DI did.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
A thought: Could unintentional/subconsious vectoring be the reason people have noticed the black lightning effects not always corresponding to a kill? What if it only activates when a certain subset of possible vectored knockback trajectories would kill, either one with no vectoring or perhaps any (meaning you'd have to vector completely wrongly)?

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
It still retains the biggest issues of Brawl:

You forgot the increased prominence of spiking, because there's no meteor cancelling. That, easier shieldbreaks (which you mentioned), balanced roster (at least imo), and the variety that custom moves adds to recovery and offense should keep the game looking promising.

There might not be options out of a run (except shield?), but i think there are a lot of options out of pivots.

A thought: Could unintentional/subconsious vectoring be the reason people have noticed the black lightning effects not always corresponding to a kill? What if it only activates when a certain subset of possible vectored knockback trajectories would kill, either one with no vectoring or perhaps any (meaning you'd have to vector completely wrongly)?
I had this thought before, on this page. It would definitely explain that phenomena.

Last edited:

Conda

Yet "air dodge slide" is exactly the kind of name you are fighting against right now and wanting to name something with some other name that doesn't convey what it does because what it does is "too technical".
Hmm arguably. I see what you mean, but 'air dodge' is an obvious mechanic you'd be using, and 'vector' is not. You have to first educate what 'vector' means, and then describe 'vectoring' / 'vector influence'.

For Directional Influence, you do not have to first describe the words within the name. Which made it an effective name.

If melee and Brawl did not have DI, and Smash 4 was the first one to have this mechanic, we'd likely and rightfully call it something closer to "knockback influence" rather than "vectoring".
The name "vectoring" seems to be birthed from the perspective of "this mechanic is different than DI, so let's call it something -completely- different."

Your point is a good one to keep in mind, however. Our choice of name is important as it has to be teachable and efficient, and also conversational enough, to teach new players.

Last edited:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
2. Recoveries themselves might have been buffed but ledge magnets are gone, fall speed has been increased, air dodge has been severly nerfed in terms of lag and hitstun is back making gimping make a comeback. Overall with all this factored in together recovering to the stage was actually nerfed from brawl.

4. This game has better options out of run than Brawl had with the pivot tilts and pivot smashes. Plus the new auto cancel mechanics on aerials make approaching with aerials way more viable than Brawl.

We don't know if Vector Influence actually affects the game more than DI did, we have no values to calculate that. For all we know VI affects the game less than DI did.
On 2: There is absolutely no way recovering to the stage was nerfed from Brawl. It's definitely much easier to get back. The game actually pushes you up if you recover into the bottom of the stage as your sideways momentum gets transferred to upwards. Have you seen Diddy travelling under FD using only his up-B? And you can still ledgesnap mid attack and now you can do it through a ledgehogging opponent.

In Brawl, people could edgehog you and use the invincibility to hit you as you passed through them. That's actually one of the biggest fundamental pats of edgeguarding in Brawl. Completely gone now, doing this will let your opponent back to the stage.

Recovery is unquestionably buffed in this game.

On 4: The pivot tilts is nice, that's about all I've seen. What new auto cancel mechanics? Autocancelling was huge in Brawl and your main form of approaching with aerials.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Sorry, I used the wrong word. What I meant to say is that in Smash 4 you can airdodge out of tumble.

In 64, there was no airdodging. In Melee, you couldn't airdodge out of hitstun or tumble. In Brawl, you can airdodge out of hitstun and tumble. In Smash 4, you can't airdodge out of hitstun, but you can airdodge out of tumble the instance you are out of hitstun.

In Melee, you had to use an attack or jump to break tumble (or jiggle your analog stick for a second). Hitstun isn't actually as strong in Melee as people think it is, but a big part of combos is frame traps. There are a ton of situations in Melee where your opponent technically gets out of hitstun right before you hit them, but you hit them again before they can get any moves out to break tumble.

There's, particularly with spacies, a lot of situations where they have to choose between eating another hit or wasting their jump to escape the combo and being in a bad position.

In Smash 4, you can airdodge out of combos that would've taken advantage of your tumble in Melee. So it still has a much weaker combo game than Melee, and then add vector influence which lets people move away further from you during the combo...that makes it pretty bad.
Yes. I 100% agree. That not being able to airdodge out of tumble is a small but huge thing that improved the combo system without adding more hitstun :)

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman

If the goal is to make it easier to grasp, explain and integrate into conversation, then we should call DI in smash4 "VI", because its different in how it works, and its exclusive to smash4.

That way there are not multiple definitions of DI out there.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
You forgot the increased prominence of spiking, because there's no meteor cancelling. That, easier shieldbreaks (which you mentioned), balanced roster (at least imo), and the variety that custom moves adds to recovery and offense should keep the game looking promising.

There might not be options out of a run (except shield?), but i think there are a lot of options out of pivots.

I had this thought before, on this page. It would definitely explain that phenomena.
Brawl had no meteor cancelling either, so I'm not sure what you're getting at there. And IIRC you can only do ftilt and fsmash backwards out of pivots.

Conda

If the goal is to make it easier to grasp, explain and integrate into conversation, then we should call DI in smash4 "VI", because its different in how it works, and its exclusive to smash4.

That way there are not multiple definitions of DI out there.
This assumes all Smash 4 players will be experienced enough in melee/brawl to know what DI is. DI was likely chosen as a name in the early days of smash because it had conveyance and was simple. We shouldn't stray from that line of logic, as it results in good names for mechanics.

The fact that to describe Vectoring, you have to build on someone's knowledge of DI, means the name "vectoring' is flawed and not accurately descriptive enough of its usage to the layman.

Last edited:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
This is the most interesting question.
Not sure if you got your answer, but he answered this earlier. Its percentage based.
So, the big question on my mind now is how much influence this actually has.

If it's a moderate effect on strong moves, it might not even be noticeable on weak moves. It's quite possible that weak hits will give you less range of motion than regular DI. I'll need to test this and compare how far you can move with Mario's dthrow and DI left in Melee vs VI left in Smash 4.

If this is the case, it'll actually improve combo game a little.

But if it's a strong effect on even weak moves, it'll be terrible for the game. People will be able to get out of combos easier by VIing away and airdodging out of tumble, and then at high percents, the first person to miss a VI will die and the other person will live forever.

Top Bottom