• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vegetarianism

jugfingers

Smash Champion
Eating seeds and nuts is like eating baby plants. You don't want to eat meat, but you're fine with enslaving cows for their milk? And for bees you don't mind trashing their homes for honey?

For shame.:urg:
I don't drink mainstream Auschwitz milk, I drink organic milk from local farms.

having a cow for milking isn't any different than having a pet dog, I'd hardly call it enslavement.

if your unaware of bee farms, bees hives are not trashed, they are sectioned into removable frames so extracting honey doesn't effect the rest of the hive.

also seeds aren't alive until they sprout, they can remain dormant for thousands of years in a dry location before successfully germinating. its like saying a human(female) egg is a baby. It potentially could be, but it isn't a baby in its present state.

also like I said before I don't consider plants to have independent souls.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
If this sentence is true, then humans should eat meat.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Jigglypuff is a rabbit? What the hell are you trippin on?

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Amongst the dozens of reasons: because we're capable of (and are) destroying the planet, they aren't.

Also I'd like to see an ant drive a motorcycle over a pool filled with sharks.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
Amongst the dozens of reasons: because we're capable of (and are) destroying the planet, they aren't.

Also I'd like to see an ant drive a motorcycle over a pool filled with sharks.
I'd like to see a human lift carry 50 times its own body weight over a mountain.

but in terms of relevance to this thread it doesn't really matter who is more "important"

it only matters who suffers more. and the more intelligent an organism the more it suffers.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I'd like to see an ant wipe out my entire community with a hose.

BlargCow

Smash Journeyman
ok no that would be weird ok he would be burned to death by the villagers why would you want to see that

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
Uhh, you can't call humans or ants more important than the other, because both species have different roles in nature.

Can we keep this on vegetables?

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Uhh, you can't call humans or ants more important than the other, because both species have different roles in nature.
Humans are more important, we can keep other species alive (like cows) but all ants do is swarm my ****ing kitchen in summer :mad:

jugfingers

Smash Champion
Humans are more important, we can keep other species alive (like cows) but all ants do is swarm my ****ing kitchen in summer :mad:
Ants keep Macaranga trees alive, protecting them from herbvorous insects and plants that get too close to the tree, the ants that do this nest in the stems of the tree.

XFadingNirvanaX

Smash Champion
Stop arguing over humans and ants, ****it really. x.x

On topic: I love hamburger helper too much to be a vegetarian.

EDIT: The whole debate about humans and ants reminds me of "Nature."

Ajna

Smash Apprentice
Just posted this on another thread, but i suppose it belongs here...

<<Originally Posted by dealth0072 View Post
I am not a vegetarian BUT I do not eat any fast food of any kind, because fast food is disgusting.>>

Thats a very good decision! Thinking about what you eat in general is the overall point I think most people miss anyway. Food becomes a generic source that is readily available to most. A chicken nugget, an m&m, a piece of lettuce, an apple, a twinkie.... all fall into one giant category: food.

If we accept that life is vampiric- in that you have to consume other life to remain alive yourself... eating isnt really as simple as just consuming units of nourishment. You are extinguishing another life to sustain your own.
There is nothing morally wrong with eating meat (roacherman) . because of the basic law I just described. However, what I personally find to be a moral dilemma is the loss of the connection to what our food is and where it comes from. The meat industry is absolutely terrible... the reason why most people dont want to learn about it, or watching a video would be unpleasant, is because it is unpleasant to think about your food coming from... well.. what it actually comes from. Its a classic case of complacency vs truth (like... matrix red pill vs blue pill) It goes far beyond just the idea of how the animals are treated too... its how they are regarded as product- thier life is forfeit.
Im not saying its impossible to be completely aware of all the details and understand perfectly where what your eating comes from and be totally fine with that... Im saying that its rarely the case. I try to encourage people just to think about everything... including what they eat. information is neutral, so there is no taboos. Its easier just to enjoy the gravy train and never think about where your food comes from... but it would most likely be more fulfilling if you educated yourself and made a decision with your soul and mind.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Denis Leary said it best (and I may have posted it here, but it bears repeating):

"Eggplant tastes like eggplant, but meat tastes like murder and murder tastes pretty ****ing good.”

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dog meat is delicious.

I'm not really "vegetarian," but I do tend to avoid meat most of the time. If I eat meat it's usually because I was having dinner with a friend who ordered something with fish balls in it, only to realize that he didn't like fish balls (who the h*ll doesn't like fish balls?). Or a roommate was about to throw something out of the fridge that had been there for weeks but it didn't look "too bad" and I, uh, yeah, have trouble wasting food.

To be honest, the taste of pork disgusts me. Other meat only seems okay at first, but it all gets to me eventually.

I've known some lifelong vegetarians who didn't have any dietary-related health issues. They were all, interestingly enough, from India (I live in the U.S.). I think culture helps in that respect because a "balanced diet" is a product of societal evolution. The younger subcultures of vegan/vegetarianism in places like the U.S. have to build themselves from the ground up, whereas people in the mainstream can just kind of ride with the herd. But omnivores would be in the same position if they had to build their own dietary culture from scratch too. Of course, processed foods (both meat and grain) contain a lot of things that cause health problems later on in life. So, I can't say who exactly is the winner or the loser of the two.

Anyway, I've seen those videos from the slaughterhouses and such--certainly didn't make the consumption of meat any more appealing to me.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Thats a very good decision! Thinking about what you eat in general is the overall point I think most people miss anyway. Food becomes a generic source that is readily available to most. A chicken nugget, an m&m, a piece of lettuce, an apple, a twinkie.... all fall into one giant category: food.

If we accept that life is vampiric- in that you have to consume other life to remain alive yourself... eating isnt really as simple as just consuming units of nourishment. You are extinguishing another life to sustain your own.
There is nothing morally wrong with eating meat (roacherman) . because of the basic law I just described. However, what I personally find to be a moral dilemma is the loss of the connection to what our food is and where it comes from. The meat industry is absolutely terrible... the reason why most people dont want to learn about it, or watching a video would be unpleasant, is because it is unpleasant to think about your food coming from... well.. what it actually comes from. Its a classic case of complacency vs truth (like... matrix red pill vs blue pill) It goes far beyond just the idea of how the animals are treated too... its how they are regarded as product- thier life is forfeit.
Im not saying its impossible to be completely aware of all the details and understand perfectly where what your eating comes from and be totally fine with that... Im saying that its rarely the case. I try to encourage people just to think about everything... including what they eat. information is neutral, so there is no taboos. Its easier just to enjoy the gravy train and never think about where your food comes from... but it would most likely be more fulfilling if you educated yourself and made a decision with your soul and mind.
I like this post.

A lot.

DoctorBendz

Smash Cadet
Im not saying its impossible to be completely aware of all the details and understand perfectly where what your eating comes from and be totally fine with that... Im saying that its rarely the case.
I'm one of those people.

I enjoy what I enjoy. The end.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
My friend became a vegan a little less than a year ago. At first I was like, that's okay, he can make his own decisions. And then I realized: He can never eat bacon cheeseburgers for at least three reasons. That's concerning.

But I don't mind if someone becomes a vegetarian. However, I don't like it when people try to tell me I'm doing something morally wrong by eating meat. Because when I ask them about their morals and how they've defined them, whether or not they believe in a God and how this affects their opinion of the moral wrongness of eating meat, they're suddenly disinterested. lolz.

Edit: I'm in my dining hall right now. Now, I've been really tired the past few days because I've had homework up the wazoo and haven't slept much. And not sleeping decreases your appetite. But I tried getting a lot of food for breakfast to help increase my energy, and was soon disinterested due to my lack of sleep. Ironically enough, right after making this post I looked back at all the meat I didn't finish and felt like a terrible human being.

Ajna

Smash Apprentice
My friend became a vegan a little less than a year ago. At first I was like, that's okay, he can make his own decisions. And then I realized: He can never eat bacon cheeseburgers for at least three reasons. That's concerning.

But I don't mind if someone becomes a vegetarian. However, I don't like it when people try to tell me I'm doing something morally wrong by eating meat. Because when I ask them about their morals and how they've defined them, whether or not they believe in a God and how this affects their opinion of the moral wrongness of eating meat, they're suddenly disinterested. lolz.

Edit: I'm in my dining hall right now. Now, I've been really tired the past few days because I've had homework up the wazoo and haven't slept much. And not sleeping decreases your appetite. But I tried getting a lot of food for breakfast to help increase my energy, and was soon disinterested due to my lack of sleep. Ironically enough, right after making this post I looked back at all the meat I didn't finish and felt like a terrible human being.
But thats just it. It is almost impossible to logically argue that the act of eating meat is wrong. The vegetarians etc. that adopt that philosophy (or lack there of) generally have very little clout to their opinion. They are more just being driven by "animals are cute, and i dont want them to die".
I know That I explained this to a degree in my last post, but I cant stress enough that just being aware of what goes on in a battery farm is the tip of the iceberg. I think the biggest issue is losing contact with what your food is. Eating popcorn shrimp and eating popcorn do not have the same value and implications.
If hypothetically a cow lived a beautiful life... in a big open field where he was fed hay several times a day and brushed by the farmer with a grooming comb everyday before he becomes your hamburger... the problem still hasnt been solved. While he may not be injected full of hormones and treated like less than a life during his life... by the time he reaches your mouth the sacrifice that is taking place to keep you alive is all but lost to you.
Its pretty simple, but what makes it a big deal is to even empathize or percieve what im saying without adopting it as your own philosophy, you would still really have to slam on the breaks and do a 360 with your thinking.

In my personal life, I have come to the moral conclusion after lots of heavy thought about what goes into my body... that if I were to ever eat meat again, I would kill the creature myself. That way I am directly responsible for the sacrifice of life that is being made to sustain my own. And give it the full respect it deserves.
Its simple... i go kill the bunny in the forest, and consume him (or her). If you think it would make you uncomfortable to bash a rabbits head in with a rock... then you should maybe put some thought into how most people feel the same way. And its easier to have someone else just capture all the bunnies of the world throw them in little cages where youll never see them, and bash them in the head with a rock for you. so by the time they get to you- they are juicy little rabbit nuggets.

Why am I using rabbits and rocks as examples instead of cows and slaughter houses? because you havent been desensitized to them.. but its really the same concept. Anyway... the point is that people take life for granite. Whether it be the sustaining of thier own lives, or the sacrifice of others. Most people view other creatures as "lesser" lives than our own too for whatever reason... probably because its harder for them to identify with another creature than one of thier own kind. its the same effect that you get when someone from mexico cant speak english and they appear stupid when they are trying to communicate to you. They most likely aren't actually stupid... you just cant relate to thier culture and language.
I guess my message stays the same... dont just accept the way things are. Think about everything, even the things that make us uncomfortable or whose implications could potentially change the way we think or act if they are given the proper attention.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Oh, I definitely will think on it. I'm not at all decided just yet and this thread has given me a good deal to think over.

Ajna

Smash Apprentice
I eat meat because i'm an omnivore. Its that simple for me.
I dont want to assume anything... but due to the nature of your reply, I can help but feel you didnt read either of the posts I made on this page.

I agree, your an omnivore whether it be a product of adaptation/evolution or not.. But the issue is not with the actual eating of the meat, its with the industry.
When i say the meat industry im not referring to the terrible treatment of the animals either.
Im not going to repeat everything ive already said in this thread... but the bottom line is, the fact that your an omnivore... its NOT as simple as that.
Example.... Man is trying to **** your wife in your own house. you have a gun in your hand and say...
"I aint gonna kill him because killing is wrong! simple as that!"
well there was a factor introduced that makes your "all purpose" philosophy that killing is wrong not apply. There are such factors here to consider as well.. to come to an intelligent decision there is alot more to consider than the fact that your teeth are shaped to mash up meat and vegetables.

REL38

Smash Lord
@Anja

The meat industry is there to supply the masses with what society demands.
Food.

Is that bad?
No.
Is this a moral issue?
Somewhat.

Is is wrong?
For society, no.
Individually, that depends.
For the ecosystem, more than likely not.

The meat industry is meant to supply society as a whole with meat because it is food.
Same how we have apple orchards to feed people.

The "sacrifice" being made is obviously lost when it reaches the consumer.
That doesn't really matter as the consumer is the consumer.
They are the one's paying for the product. Not producing the product.
The consumer cannot be faulted for what it took for the product to be made.

Keeping that "connection" is hardly something that is expected to be kept by the consumer. Unless the consumer is in health or legal trouble as a result from the product.
"Instant gratification", "Ignorance is bliss" and the "Care less attitude" contribute to how much of America's society views how we get our meat.
On the flipside, that "connection" can still be kept if one obtains their own meat. But how strong that "connection" is depends on the individual (as is does with the consumer).

I don't see the meat industry as faulty in any of this. It has its role in society and accomplishes it. That's how I see it.

well there was a factor introduced that makes your "all purpose" philosophy that killing is wrong not apply. There are such factors here to consider as well.. to come to an intelligent decision there is alot more to consider than the fact that your teeth are shaped to mash up meat and vegetables.
Personal preference is how I see it.
We have mollars and canine teeth which shows we are capable of eating both meat and plant stuff, but that sure doesn't mean we have to.

Being vegetarian is kewl if ya wanna do that. It's personal preference which isn't really arguable.
Personally, I can't bear to go through with it. Most all of the meals I eat have meat alongside with it lol

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
You're right i never read the thread and i shouldve before i replied. Also i cant seem to quote people without my computer screwing up basically.

Anyway, i eat meat because i like it, and i'm an omnivore. I might not like the way they're treated and i dont even kill insects but i also know that everythings not black and white. I can have grey areas too.

So basically what i shouldve said is i like meat because its tasty.

Top Bottom