• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Version Differences?

Stormblast

Smash Journeyman
I havent found any thread about this so far, so i took the liberty of starting this one.

Have you people found any differences so far between the Japanese and the American version? Personally, i have an imported japanese version and i have observed that Ganondorfs Dair does 23% in the japanese and 22% i the american.

And as we all know, the voices of the characters are totally different.(Japanese voices are much better IMO :p)

The european version will probably have some tweaks as well as they did to melee but we will see about that in about a month or so.

Aside from that, i havent seen any obvious difference so let me know if you come across something that hasnt been discovered already and I will quote it in the first post.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Are you sure Ganon's dair wasn't sweet-spotted or effected by decay at the time? There should be no real differences in damage, knockback, weight ect... of any character data, otherwise how would this work online? You can't have 2 different outcomes in a single game. What is diffrent is voices (for sure) and possibly difficulty on CPU's

Tenki

Smash Hero
Snake's d-throw does 1 damage more in the Japanese version, I think. There was a thread on it in the Snake boards a long time ago.

Stormblast

Smash Journeyman
I just found out a really freaky fact. In the japanese version, Ganon´s dair does 22% in training but 23% in normal brawl >_> how the **** does that work.. -_-

Anyways, can someone confirm the percentage data for ganon´s dair both in training and normal brawl as well for the American version?

As for the snake downthrow...in the japanese it does 12%, please confirm the percentage for the american one.

And about the online, if there really are any changes besides the voices, i presume that the person who is hosting the match takes precedence.

Stormblast

Smash Journeyman
@Stormblast
Yes, Ganon´s Dair does the same thing, and Snakes d-throw does 12% aswell.
Are you sure it does 22% in training and 23% in normal brawl? Also, can anyone explain why the percentage isnt the same for training mode and regular brawl? i find this really really weird.

Also, hasnt anyone else come across any other version difference? if not, then i suppose they cant really change anything because of the online play.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
I am sure that it does 22% in training and 23% in normal brawls, but I have no clue why. Who knows, mabey it will become a big Brawl mystery?

Browny

Smash Hater
brawl %'s arent whole numbers

Lucarios 0% grab pummel is the perfect example, it does 0.5% ive seen many attacks do more 1% than they normally do

chances are an enemy was on say for example, 10.4% when you d-aired them they went to 34, i

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
brawl %'s arent whole numbers

Lucarios 0% grab pummel is the perfect example, it does 0.5% ive seen many attacks do more 1% than they normally do

chances are an enemy was on say for example, 10.4% when you d-aired them they went to 34, i
that.. actually makes sense.

Magus420

Smash Master
This came up on AiB in a thread Simna made about non-stale moves sometimes doing an extra point of dmg and KOing a point or 2 sooner in VS than in training.

http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=5731

The possible explanation I came up with was that it may be from training mode not keeping track of non-whole damage percents, so while it may actually do 22.8% or something in VS (often resulting in a 23% visual difference on the damage meter), it may only be doing 22.0% in training.

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Well, JNTSC and NTSC consoles run at 60 fps because Japanese and American TVs operate at 60 hertz. European consoles and TVs operate at 50 fps/50 hertz, though, so differences in frame data are inevitable. Unless Europe adopts the 60 hertz standard just for Brawl. ^ ^

Remember the DI buff that Euro Melee got because of the frame data difference? I wonder if that, or something even more ridiculous, will be in Brawl too.

Stormblast

Smash Journeyman
Well, JNTSC and NTSC consoles run at 60 fps because Japanese and American TVs operate at 60 hertz. European consoles and TVs operate at 50 fps/50 hertz, though, so differences in frame data are inevitable. Unless Europe adopts the 60 hertz standard just for Brawl. ^ ^

Remember the DI buff that Euro Melee got because of the frame data difference? I wonder if that, or something even more ridiculous, will be in Brawl too.
For melee, you could still choose 50Hz or 60Hz when the game booted up if your TV supported it. You can also change the Hz output in the wii, choose from 50Hz, 60Hz and some 480p i think.

I think the framerate wont be a problem.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
Anyway, the percentage mystery has already been solved. Magus figured it out too. I was laughing when I seen the Snake thread about his D-throw damage percentages and gave an explanation similar to Magus. Snake's D-throw does 12.5% damage. So in battle, after doing 4 fresh down-throws it says 50% damage. In training though, it will say 48% after 4 d-throws. Training seems to round down damage. Some of them claimed it was an update through the wii to change the percentages lol.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Wouldn't it be funny if Brawl came out for PAL and Sakurai was like "Well, after all the complaining, I decided to put back in L-cancelling, Dash dancing, and take out Tripping".

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Wouldn't it be funny if Brawl came out for PAL and Sakurai was like "Well, after all the complaining, I decided to put back in L-cancelling, Dash dancing, and take out Tripping".
"And while I'm at it, let's have Captain Falcon's Knee Smash autocancel upon landing."

RazeveX

Smash Ace
It kinda pisses me off that the announcer pronounces things differently in different versions. In the japanese he says "King Daydayday", and "Pokaymon Trainer". But in the American one he says "King Deedeedee" and "Pokamon Trainer". It sounds stupid to me after listening to the japanese ones.

Top Bottom