• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vertex hack anything (vertex formats)

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
Well i noticed that DDVBox doesn't support different format of vertex files and i dont understand why, it would be extremely easy to implement.

Well either way what i came here to ask for is a floating point > hex converter (must be able to support conversion to 8bit, 16bit, 24bit and 32bit (OPTIONAL 48bit and 64bit))

Either way if Akari or anyone else is reading this, the way vertice points are stored is in XYZ coordinates represented in floating point. 18 - 1C in the vertex file there is a value that expresses what size the floating points are stored (1 = 1byte[8bit], 2 = 2byte[16bit], 3 = 3bytes[24bit], 4 = 4bytes[32bit] etc), almost all characters are in format 4 (the standard 32bit floating point) while most (all?) items are 8bit, 16bit, 24bit (this explains why we can usually only use DDVBox on characters).

If someone writes that floating point > hex converter im asking for, i will write a guide on editing the multiple different formats of vertex (hopefully Das Donkey will implement this). Also editing a few other things will become possible.

Smash Ace
If anyone has programming knowledge and doesn't know how floating point conversions work tell me and i can give you all the info.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
uh...no offense, but what youre asking for is like a 3 line python script.
Tell me how it works and ill write it, but you would need python to run it...

Smash Ace
uh...no offense, but what youre asking for is like a 3 line python script.
Tell me how it works and ill write it, but you would need python to run it...
Yes i know its a small program but due to my lack of knowledge in any sort of programming this is where i have to ask for help.

As for how floating point is converted this website pretty much explains it all http://sandbox.mc.edu/~bennet/cs110/flt/dtof.html

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Vile, you realize that internally, computers already do that conversion crap for you....you dont have to program conversion of a floating point number...to a floating point number...

What I mean is..what is the way this program should work? What type of output, what type of input.

Smash Ace
Vile, you realize that internally, computers already do that conversion crap for you....you dont have to program conversion of a floating point number...to a floating point number...

What I mean is..what is the way this program should work? What type of output, what type of input.
The input will be a txt file with lots of floating point numbers and i want the output to be these floating points converted to hex (with a choice of how many bytess per float). Also can you have a space in between each byte please :D

EDIT: If you don't wanna make a program to convert to float i can give you float/X=Bytes. You probably know but by that i mean a number that you can divide the floating point by and get the value in decimal (then converter that to hex).

Dantarion

Smash Champion
The input will be a txt file with lots of floating point numbers and i want the output to be these floating points converted to hex (with a choice of how many bytess per float). Also can you have a space in between each byte please :D

Give me and example file and example output. Honestly, this is something that is way too easy for how youre making it sound.

Daakun

Smash Apprentice
Sounds to me like he wants something that will take 43000000, a Floating point, and convert it into 80, the hexadecimal value it represents.

Smash Ace
Give me and example file and example output. Honestly, this is something that is way too easy for how youre making it sound.
I know its easy -.- Im not trying to make it sound hard.

The input file would look like this:

1.4325 3.5436 -0.5435
5.7667 -3.0324 6.3450

(it would just have a whole bunch of floating point values)

The output file would look like this:

(if it was 32bit)
A7 45 12 A5 76 BC 92 9A BC BC AB EF
A7 45 12 A5 76 BC 92 9A BC BC AB EF

(if it was 24bit)
76 25 48 95 AB 73 1B EC 7C
76 25 48 95 AB 73 1B EC 7C

(if it was 16bit)
72 6C 1B 28 2A 6A
72 6C 1B 28 2A 6A

(if it was 8bit)
AB 82 32
AB 82 32

(it would just be the floating point values from the input converter to hexdecimal in the formats stated)

Oh yeh those values aren't actually correct, it was just an example of how it would look.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
First of all, are you saying that the floating points are seperated by spaces? and randomly seperated by newlines?

On the output you want a space between every byte? and a newline after every float?
Wtf is a 16 bit or 8bit float? I have never seen anything store a float in less than 32bits

Also, providing examples without putting REAL output doesn't help at all.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Are you sure you don't want a hex > floating point converter (although that is even MORE stupidly simple)?

I think we programmers are having trouble getting how this program will be used. Any one can give an algorithm for switching one floating point number to a hex.... just, how will the floating point number be fed? You said a text file. Okay.

For the actual program the input needs to be formatted. How do you want to format the input?

Sora3087

Smash Rookie
yo, i was previously working on parsing vertex group files directly with an import script in blender. i was able to dump all the verts but they turned out very scewed.

this was my result importing captain.

when i was trying to debug it it wasnt making sense because the floating point values were being imported correctly exactly as they were written in the file.

Top Bottom