• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VGD: Dr. Shrunk Says be Happy!!

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Thought I'd introduce myself here, being a Villager main! How's everyone doing? General thoughts on Mewtwo / Patch? Love to hear them! :3
Welcome! Well I'm pretty impressed with the smash team as they seem to have a good sense of what to buff nerf. Nice that Diddy and Sonic have been toned down without becoming exceptionally weak, y'know?
Villager didn't change much at all which I think is good as Villager is pretty solid already. Just can't pocket Pac's trampoline or Sonic's spring anymore, due to a teleport glitch. Just a tad sad, spring got me some stage spikes and the trampoline was fun to jump on until red, pocket again, and plant it near Pac trying to recover haha
Mewtwo is really cool! Missed him, my fav in Melee. He seems pretty high risk high reward and I was hoping for a special victory theme, customs, and maybe some better colors, but overall pretty happy, he's great!
What do youuu think? And the rest of y'all?

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Welcome! Well I'm pretty impressed with the smash team as they seem to have a good sense of what to buff nerf. Nice that Diddy and Sonic have been toned down without becoming exceptionally weak, y'know?
Villager didn't change much at all which I think is good as Villager is pretty solid already. Just can't pocket Pac's trampoline or Sonic's spring anymore, due to a teleport glitch. Just a tad sad, spring got me some stage spikes and the trampoline was fun to jump on until red, pocket again, and plant it near Pac trying to recover haha
Mewtwo is really cool! Missed him, my fav in Melee. He seems pretty high risk high reward and I was hoping for a special victory theme, customs, and maybe some better colors, but overall pretty happy, he's great!
What do youuu think? And the rest of y'all?
What do I think? Well...

Mewtwo
Super happy with how he's turned out! I don't really mind how he ends up competitively, but like the rest of the cast, I'd like to see him accepted competitively. But again, he's in my Top 10 nevertheless! It's a shame he has no customs, it was a big selling point of the game after all, and to ditch it like this is sad, but I've never gotten into customs anyway. I agree, he is very high risk high reward, and his special moves prove that!

Patch
What happened to Diddy makes sense to me. He's become more like Sheik, easy to combo with but not easy to kill with, and I like that. I've been having a lot of fun playing as Diddy now, as he is a very different character. He has been unbanned in my household! Also, it's good to see there's no one stand out character, but plenty of solid ones, like Sonic, Zero Suit Samus, and our own little Villager. I haven't noticed much difference with Villager, but I'm glad, I loved him/her and I was scared of any nerfs, although it wouldn't really change how much I played them! I only found out that you could Pocket Pac-Man's recovery the other day, it's a shame I never got to exploit it, but I wouldn't have been able to do so as well as you have!

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
1fow1 actually believes M2 is top-tier.
I think its a possibility. Mid to top tier for me.
he plays nice, so i'll train him as a secondary. Villager is still ways too much fun to play as.

As for Villager
I could've sworn that his pivot grab got improved at least the end lag got reduced. Like I wasn't afraid to use it. (running forward grab is still bad)
Are we sure it wasn't improved?
If its the same that is some crazy mind games I did to myself

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Eh, Mewtwo is...I guess close to Rosalina? It's only day 2 but it's clear he's high risk high reward. Once we discover more ways to make him feel safer I'm sure he'll feel secure up there, but right now he gets killed pretty early and is quite easy to hit. Still real good though, that up-smash for example!

And yeah, sorry, that's placebo, Villager is unchanged pretty much. Just can't pocket a couple things anymore. (Trampoline and Spring)

Linkdude74

Smash Cadet
I'm going to assume that the same characteristics apply to the pocketed version?
In that you have to be looking at the opponent in the front for it to work? Btw do you think that because it's pocketed the stun duration could be longer?
Just a though
yes it still has to connect with the front of the opponent in order to stun, but because we don't have the long disable animation, it's easier for us to hit someone with it if we get it. I haven't checked stun duration yet

Action Kazimer

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1005-9002-5481
Have you guys noticed any weirdness with pocketing Olimar's Pikmin post-patch? I'm normally pretty on point with it, but it I couldn't tell if today was just goofing on my part or not.

Edit: I might just be misremembering which Pikmin can be pocketed. I'm still seeing conflicted reports. I dunno. /rambling

Last edited:

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
The standard tree's lifespan is definitely the same. I was able to test it with my friend today since he hasn't updated his game yet. We also learned something else. Did you guys know ftilt can randomly cause a trip? :O I don't know if this is a characteristic for all ftilts, but it's something I noticed. It wasn't something added because my friend was able to do it as well.

Nintendoge_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bwooper
3DS FC
1306-6166-5014
I just saw like 3 villager in 6 games :o

Are people already switching to our little Villy after the Diddy nerf?

Nintendoge_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bwooper
3DS FC
1306-6166-5014
Have you guys noticed any weirdness with pocketing Olimar's Pikmin post-patch? I'm normally pretty on point with it, but it I couldn't tell if today was just goofing on my part or not.

Edit: I might just be misremembering which Pikmin can be pocketed. I'm still seeing conflicted reports. I dunno. /rambling
Can't test this right know, but I know that you can only pocket the purple pikmin. Hopefully they didn't remove that, as it's a pretty powerful projectile :c

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
So today I got totally dunked by this Villager in For Glory which made me realize I have so much more to learn with this dude, which makes me wanna raise the question; when do you guys forward smash?

Save for the obvious edge kills, in what situations would you whip it out? I'm just now realizing how much I neglect it--I'd really love to know when/how to use it.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
So today I got totally dunked by this Villager in For Glory which made me realize I have so much more to learn with this dude, which makes me wanna raise the question; when do you guys forward smash?

Save for the obvious edge kills, in what situations would you whip it out? I'm just now realizing how much I neglect it--I'd really love to know when/how to use it.
I use it sparingly pretty much if you make the read use it. I sometimes use it to send a message that I will try to use it again

Action Kazimer

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1005-9002-5481
Can't test this right know, but I know that you can only pocket the purple pikmin. Hopefully they didn't remove that, as it's a pretty powerful projectile :c
Okay, I thought that I'd pocketed others in the past. Must have been mistaken. Worry not, purple is still pocketable!

Nintendoge_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bwooper
3DS FC
1306-6166-5014
Whoa, me and @ Nintendoge_ Nintendoge_ have frighteningly similar avatars
I, as an artist who respects creative integrity and intellectual property, I am disgusted at how much you have copied me, do you not have ANY value or respect for originality? you're a laughing stock. it's cheesy, it's disgusting, i personally find it artistically atrocious.

Nintendoge_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bwooper
3DS FC
1306-6166-5014
Okay, I thought that I'd pocketed others in the past. Must have been mistaken. Worry not, purple is still pocketable!
I'm not actually positive, but I think other Pikmin were pocketable at one point, but they all had the knockback effect that the purple pikmin has. You can see it in this video here at 4:35 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov3bzwDLg3g

However, I can't recall ever being able to pocket anything besides the purple one, even pre-patch. Of course, I don't see many Olimars in For Glory. Can any other Villager elaborate on this?

Last edited:

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
I just saw like 3 villager in 6 games :o

Are people already switching to our little Villy after the Diddy nerf?
I have been noticing a loooooot of villagers lately too but this was before the patch. I definitely don't mind though, Villager mirror matches are just so much fun Sometimes i don't even care if i lose. I guess people are just catching on to how excellent this character is.

Still too much Ness and Falcon out there though...

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
I have been noticing a loooooot of villagers lately too but this was before the patch. I definitely don't mind though, Villager mirror matches are just so much fun Sometimes i don't even care if i lose. I guess people are just catching on to how excellent this character is.

Still too much Ness and Falcon out there though...
A lot of diddy frauds are switching to other top tiers or easy characters *cough cough sonic and shiek cough* but I haven't seen any decide to go Villy.
If people are picking villager up, that's good. As much as I like my character being underusedish, we can discover more tech and see more villager talent the more that people decide to rep him/her.
Strength in Numbers!

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
A lot of diddy frauds are switching to other top tiers or easy characters *cough cough sonic and shiek cough* but I haven't seen any decide to go Villy.
If people are picking villager up, that's good. As much as I like my character being underusedish, we can discover more tech and see more villager talent the more that people decide to rep him/her.
Strength in Numbers!
It's actually funny but at lower levels, there are a lot more villagers

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
It's actually funny but at lower levels, there are a lot more villagers
Villager is popular with the casuals, yes.
It gets on my nerve when they dash attack 4 times.. Or when they camp by tree.
I usually never trust a villager being good without seeing their work/opinions on things and judge by that.

Linkdude74

Smash Cadet
Some of my friends are more casual players and they are pretty convinced that Villager is completely broken. Now none of them have told me I'm not allowed to play villager(Thank Nook for that) but I find it pretty funny

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
I have never encountered too many Diddys on fg. His vertical recovery is quite a large entry barrier for casuals, and hoo hah is (or was) only good if you can utilize him enough to get people into kill %. I most of the diddys play on fg do *literally* nothing but side b and dthrow followups which just makes me lol.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
*sees eventhubs*
This will be either painfully hilarious or painfully...painful.

Edit: ROFL THAT WAS DEFINITELY ON THE HILARIOUS SIDE!

"I feel like a lot of Megaman's attacks should be immune to reflectors and pocket just so that he isnt countered too much by reflecting moves and doesnt rely on only 5 non projectile attacks but they arent."

That's a good one buddy.

Last edited:

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
OMG NO. Go look at who's at the bottom of their tier list, then tell me you didn't laugh out loud.

I seriously can't believe it.

Last edited:

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Does anyone think we should have a thread dedicated to keeping record of Villager's changes throughout the patches? That way we can keep discussion there and centralize all our info.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Does anyone think we should have a thread dedicated to keeping record of Villager's changes throughout the patches? That way we can keep discussion there and centralize all our info.
We kinda do have one.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
What changes lmao
The worst we've gotten is glitch removal, we haven't even gotten % changes like Shulk or Pacman.

If something actually happens to us in future updates we can make a thread but its like every update leaves Villager totally unaffected, it's pretty hilarious.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Villager is popular with the casuals, yes.
It gets on my nerve when they dash attack 4 times.. Or when they camp by tree.
I usually never trust a villager being good without seeing their work/opinions on things and judge by that.
A TRUE Villager uses nair, and short hop fair and bair.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
A TRUE Villager uses nair, and short hop fair and bair.
A true Villager is everywhere pressing ALL the buttons :3
Unless you're @zeezee then you just stare at the opponent while slowly denying their options

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Well we could include past patches like where the slingshot was slightly buffed and the rided lloid slightly nerfed.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Sure, documenting any Villager changes would be nice, I aint opposed to that, where else would it be stored? It's history that must be secured or something!
But speaking of the Villager stare though... I just don't get how the majority doesn't like red default Villager, like... he's the best!
HNI_0010.JPG

Top Bottom