• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] 2011 CouchWarriors - 12th Nov - The Hive, Box Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Actually he sounds like the exact opposite lol, the ignorant smash player that says 2d fighters are bad because of set combos =)
smash is 2d. but it has di. which makes it amazing.

yes.

All fighting games are ****. I've got a game for you to play: it's called REAL LIFE.
did you want me to teach you how to play?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
you guys are all massive ******s.

all fighting games are fundimentally the same, in that it all boils down to patterns

you are trying to figure out your opponents patterns before he figures out yours.
great players are also watching themselves for their own patterns at the same time and eliminating them as best they can, but no one can completely eliminate it.

tibs7

Smash Champion
Mmmm Ricky wanna go n2c on Sunday? I'll bring ps3 and stick =]
cao should come to and leish :):):)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
if its going to be predominantly a marvel meet, please have this at nine cat instead -- awesome setups compared to n2c. and yes, i'm extremely down for a meet this sunday. stick to n2c if we're mixing it up with smash i suppose.

i need a stick for marvel so bad

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Actually he sounds like the exact opposite lol, the ignorant smash player that says 2d fighters are bad because of set combos =)
Thats the biggest negative factor for me about 2d fighters.

Very respectable opinion.

tibs7

Smash Champion
Mmmmk awesome, yeah it will a marvel meet.
What are the costs?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
you can rent 2-3 PS3 rooms for $6-9 an hour and split it amongst us.

e.g. 4 people per room is going to be about 2 per hour

theres no other costs assoc. each rooms got a large couch and large lcd, sorta like a small living room. willing to give it a shot since N2C reeks

i can confirm costs of the place, if you give me a start/end time for this sunday and shift meet info to another thread

harryzelda

Smash Cadet
why is it called the HIVE becuse i am ZELDA THE BEEKEPER
HAHA butwhat is the prize to win? i am teaming with my brother!
also for one-on-one tournaments are you allowd to swap zelda and sheik NOT THAT I NEED TO

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
You can play whoever you want, zelda or sheik, or both zelda and sheik.

The prize for singles is 60% of the total entries (for first) 30% for second and 10% for third.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
i'm tempted to say that too, but smash is my game and i'll play till i die. <3

harryzelda

Smash Cadet
thank you for telling me redact i can somtimes change to shiek by accidint
but i want to know what is the prizes going to be? i like hyrule castle it is bigger bt i have a brother charlie he plays onnet and yoshis dreamland which one is better? when i play charlie i want to play hyrule castle!

harryzelda

Smash Cadet
I FORGOT WHERE DO I SIGN UP FOR THE HIVE and my brother charlie has to sign up for smash boards?
please answer couch wariers thank you

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Don't have to sign up. Just arrive on the day in time for registration. A SWF account is not necessary for participation.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
kiddies running around in circles, giggling, eating cake and wiping it all over you.

i think this calls for a bawwwww <3

jezza_10

Smash Apprentice
some of u guys may have played me and my bro n sis (jerome, taylor and connie). I would LOVEE!!! to attend these tournaments monthly to improve my skill but i cant... :'( i have to work EVERY weekend and work doesnt like me taking weekends off. i work full time and live 2 and a half hours away from the city, everyone in my town sucks really bad and me n my siblings are the best people we know.

95% of new gamers i meet i ask them, what games do you play?? they answer cod.... :/ seriously cod is not the only game in this world. sure its a great game but i dont think its that good to play it 24/7. i actually havent played cod for a good month now. the majority of them that do play smash bros is very rare and if they do.... they suck...

the smash scene has really died down

(example animania 2010 smash tourney was HUGE! about 60 people entered, it was the main attraction in the games room, people would cheer, boo and mark out for awesome moments about 150 people were watching the entire thing and the atmosphere was amazing... compared to this years animania smash tourney there were about 20 people that entered and only about 30 people watching, no cheering, no booing... the crowd were just quiet, i wanted to yell and scream but it didnt feel right... it was nothing compared to 12 months before that)

i remember when EVERYONE used to play smash. we have clocked up over 800 hours on brawl and about 600 hours on melee.

I just love meeting new people that are good at smash, unique playing styles that catch me off guard. its quite amazing. i wanna live in melbourne!!! not just for smash bros just everything... lol.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
It's because people realised brawl isn't a good game anymore, and I hate to admit that being a die hard fan myself. I still play of course, but playing competitive brawl is just full of gay really. Extremely liner and too campy.

Oh well, I guess I still play regardless but I won't ever drop my main for a better character <3 but yeah melee kept its hype for a long time considering the fact it had countless things you could learn + had more depth. But eh, this is just my opinion. Maybe if people bothered and actually tried to advertise the scene, we could probably get the numbers back up again :3

I guess I'm lucky with work though, I'm never rostered on weekends. Sucks for work to gay you though :/

Splice

Smash Hero
Melee has more hype factor and is a faster game and more entertaining to watch then Brawl.
It has more tournament appeal and definitely runs better at a tourney than Brawl.

However that is not to say Brawl "isn't a good game" , nor a less competitive one.
I believe that apart from the amount of tech in Melee, Brawl has more depth.
Campiness being good or bad is an opinion, although for me i play as aggressive as I please. I only camp when I'm scared but im bad.

Theres also a fanbase issue due to console.
Most new people who play brawl arent quality stuff and dont hold up in tourney. They dont stay long MOST of the time.
People who still play Melee are actually gamers so we get people who can actually learn. And they would probably try to find a scene if there was one, being competitive awesome people. One example would be newcomer Harry, already the best in Australia. Plays Melee go figure.

Basically Melee is more appealing competitively and the scenario ensures it to be more competively succesful than brawl... yes
that is not to say Brawl isnt as competitively demanding or a bad game competitively, but what it offers does not appeal to competitive gamers who have played Melee which is completely different.

...idk why make post :s bored.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
I remember the "Jezza" family... cool people. I know a few Smashers who live in somewhat isolated regions who want to go to tournaments but can't. Kinda sucks - I guess I'm lucky to live in the Melbourne suburbs. And that I don't have to work as long as I get "A"s in school to please the old folks :3

You coming this time Billy? Does that mean Aled attendance?

Imma take a stab and say that Harry is Dekar's alt... no one else is quite that good at trolling.

Splice

Smash Hero
Yeh im in brawl mode so i coming. My melee is prac'd up, but since I aint ready for a melee major, im not practicing up especially for it. Whereas I have a chance at Brawl at ACL, so im practicing it up until ACL, then Melee training resumes.

Aled and I are coming. We're also going to win doubles tyvm so please enter everybody $$

And hey, with living in remote places, it could be worse guys... You could live in Perth... No smash scene no more :C

Or worse, NT... no smash scene to begin with

...But then there is Gary!

NT the smash state

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
But but last time Brawl teams had no entry fee and thus no pot so no money for Billy or Aled.
On that note I'll ask here again if someone wants to team in Brawl, I'll promise I'll not hit you too often. Otherwise I'll do like last time and team with someone random again (hi Cao).

Splice

Smash Hero
I know a few Smashers who live in somewhat isolated regions who want to go to tournaments but can't.
Or maybe they'd just rather go to ACT.

There better be brawl doubles pot i mean wowly moley

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Yeah i think was bored when i made that other post too =P,

but yeah, me and conor both live in LOLOMGSOFARAWAY land and you see us still...

So yeah, those people need to get off their butts =O

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Ok so I'm like, completely running Brawl this Sunday. Leisha if you want, run it along side me to get some exp before next weekend.

Rules stay the same (stage list decided, all that other stuff)
Also I want to charge $2.50 pp ($5 per team) for Brawl doubles. This is an attempt to make doubles more competitive again, it's severely lacking.

So $7.50 total for Brawl alone (obviously excluding Melee and CW entry fee) just like teh ol' steegmah dayz.

Anyway...thoughts?

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Make doubles $5 per person so it's taken as seriously as singles.

Also I may show up if I get my license and I can find a car to steal.

Also, Billy you don't EVEN know!

Hmm if I can get a car I could definitely come for doubles and still have time to do uni work. O:

Splice

Smash Hero
Conor I miss you.

Can I stay at your house for 3-4 days on the holidays
It needs to be a long amount of time to make it worth the distance imo ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom