• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] Melbourne CouchWarriors 2011 - AGM News

Would you like to see a cash prize pool? (Public vote)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moogleman

Smash Cadet
Our crew is ready to take on the world.... we do have a crew right guys? Oh wait, our crew has already failed due to not all being peach and marth =( Though i guess we can change that on the day =)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Glad to see people forming mini-regional crews ^____^

4 man (minimum) crews, 16 stock, SE, neutrals only, always random, 1 stage strike as per usual - aiightz.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
I have a crew too. Luckily.

Pity they never do anything D: and would also get beaten into the dirt by you guys worse than I do xD

Actually, I might bring them down to Boss Stage >.>

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I think a Freddo, Mark, Mikul and Oni crew is appropriate, since you seem to play each other the most.

TOURNAMENT STARTS THIS SATURDAY AT 12PM!
Schedule:
- 10am-12pm **FRIENDLY/SETUP PERIOD*
- 12pm registration, Teams Start
- 2.30pm Singles Start
- 5.30pm Crews Start
- 7pm-10pm - **FRIENDLY/PACKUP PERIOD*

To solve delays, we need people to bring anything they can to assist us running things quickly and smoothly. Like TV's, Cubes/Wiis, SSBM copies and associated cables.

No friendlies are allowed apart from the alloted times, unless it is imperative something awesome must happen; I may be lenient, LOL (Like an exhibition match/money match).

Also, Sam and I usually arrive at the tournament hungry so we usually like to have lunch during teams. Is it possible for someone to run the tournament for us while we get a bite to eat? Last time the tournament ran late because no one ran the tournament for a good 1/2 hour.

Remember about the $3 surcharge on all Smash players entering the tournaments. I will be keeping tab of all the players who have paid and how much they have paid. I hope it's not much to drive people away from the monthlies, but if we want to sustain our National Tourney Scene, it's better to invest in it.

Edit - I'm looking for an assertive and crowd controlling person. Might be good practice for Strider to do it since he's in charge of Rambo, but if you're up for it Oni, perhaps you can both run it. Build some character, fo sho

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
ok since i dont like BEST, im asking people like freddo/mark/mikul+ others better than me to CLAIM they are in blackburn LOLOL

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
well im not the greatest smasher around...not even close, but i would love to join a crew.
i'll join anyone that'll have me...

Dekar289

Smash Hero
sign me up for your crew, reader... or pay for it later =p

HAY CAO: $3 for the day, right? =/

Forte4Tei

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys D:

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone can help a first timer this saturday... you know, showing someone the ropes and stuff and the formats for the tournaments...

I live in Glen Waverley, and I go by Forte (4Tei) ... Sorry if I seem really bad at smash :laugh:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
Welcome!
Most of the smashers will be happy to help you understand the way the tournaments are run and to explain anything that you don't understand. These monthlies are also great at improving your skills, and learning new techniques.
Have you got MSN?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Allos! You're not too far from me, I'm in Wantirna South. Don't worry if you're new, we are pretty open to newcomers so you'll be fine. All of the information you'd seek is on the first post of this thread, including my contact details in case you need extra clarification.

GLEN WAVERLEY, HOO-RAH **POUND**

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I just read the Couch Warriors Boards and see that you live the 'special zone' for the 'you-know-what' secondary college. Funny, since there some interesting facts to come with that zone.

1. My dad and Sam's mum sell houses there
2. My dad sold Sam his house >_< *stabs self* .:. Sam lives there
3. When Sam and I team it's called 'Waverley City First National' and for some reason we haven't lost
4. GWSC sux

freddo

Smash Journeyman
Fresh meat...

Bad news, may not be able to make the monthly due to new job. It would be super gay if I had to work on Saturday, but gotta show up.

EDIT: Good news, no work. *sings* 'I'll be there....'

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Wavedashing may be gone as we know it. Characters have only been found to air dodge in the same direction and momentum they were originally traveling in, so the dynamic has changed. No one pulled off l-canceling or any of the other technical stuff either. Physics are closely related to SS64 - it is described as more 'paced' with less crazyness and furiousness Melee had. Pro smashers all loved the final smashers and did not see them as too broken, so they would love to see it in competitvely play - so far none of them seem too broken.

Samus plays pretty much the same, but her up-b is "awesome" and she lost her missile-canceling

Fox plays pretty much the same, a bit slower, and his lasers have a shorter distance. He can Triple short hop laser and will still probably be good, but slower and weaker

Peach has a downsmash with shorter range and very low knockback, but if you still CC it you'll rack up a lot of dmg like before. Seems heavier. Her float was too weird for smashers to make any opinions about it but is still effective for gimp kills.

Metaknight = Marth+Jigglypuff combined. Was found to be the best at ranging himself from attack/defense, but apparently weak on the ground because of his stunted maneuverability. Specualted to be high tier

Pit = Roy + Kirby combined. A lot of jumps with lots of fast attacks that seem weak. Very unique playstyle that demands to be learnt. Smashers had trouble figuring him out. Speculated to be low tier.

Ike = a very unusual F-Smash. It's useless even fully charged if not sweetspotted, so if you're right next to the char it will work, in which you win. Ike is crap - he is half the speed of Bowser and is probably just as powerful. everyone agreed he sux

Link - a lot faster and improved. Boomerang draws people closer to you. Hookshot recovery is short but very fast. Speculated to be high tier.

Pikachu - more or less the same.

Bowser - u-air is short in range, fotresscancelling is retained, up-b out of shield is retained and is generally faster and more ranged in attacks. Klaw is massive and better suited for kamikaze kills.

-------

Bear in mind smashers were playing on wii-mote and classic-con setups and they both have restrictive capabilities. The cube-con may be a more advanced way to play but it's still way too early to tell. It's just what people are hoping for.

But the way it is going, it appears Brawl will fundamentally change the way we play Smash. A lot more emphasis has been put on increasing accessibility and ease of play, regulating the balance of characters (no one seems top tier), and the removal of many advanced technical moves. I think it's much better this way.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Pit - Low-tier? D: I shall have to rectify that and be godly with him.
Metaknight looks kool, though.
Nothing about Sonic?
Fox the same, good gooooood.
Link is better. GOOD GOOOOOOD! <3
Ike... Meh. <.<;; Meh is all I say to Ike.

Samus's Charged Beam is also weaker too.
Peach's floating is weird, lol, but probably still broken. D: <

Devil.

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone can help a first timer this saturday... you know, showing someone the ropes and stuff and the formats for the tournaments...

I live in Glen Waverley, and I go by Forte (4Tei) ... Sorry if I seem really bad at smash :laugh:
**** my run as the new kid on the block was short lived lol,
Out of interset who do you play Forte?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Oh yeah, Sonic.

Sonic has the potential to be a top-tier character. He is not only fast (duh) but controllable with the speed. His moves cover the whole area and he has bounce-back attacks, which is helpful. There was one move I remember doing ... he drop-kicked much like the down-B for Falcon/Ganondorf, and he had a lengthy pause where I got hit a few times. I did not do a smash attack, but from what I've seen, it's pretty good as well.

Now about the Classic Controller, I perfer playing with that than the Wii remote, but only slightly. With the remote, you had to use the directional pad, and that felt very funky. The directions with the Classic Controller are controlled using the left joypad directional button. Very nice. The one thing I like about the remote is that it's light.

Back with more later on...

5:21 p.m.: The fourth of five new characters playable in the demo -- Diddy Kong. He seems like he's going to be mid-tier all the way. Too floaty and the hits don't do much damage. When I played him, I was pitted against a Donkey Kong (who seems to be much more faster and agile). Diddy does have range, but I'm not talking about Marth range where it can be deadly. For some reason, he reminded me a lot of the Melee version of Pikachu. I'll try to figure out why, but it just seemed that way.

6:27 p.m.: This entry would have been up earlier, but I was watching San Francisco Optx's Vanessa Arteaga tear up newbies in a "Dead or Alive 4" exhibition (much like how Johnathan 'Fatal1ty' Wendel does at these conventions with Q4/PK/etc.)

The final new character to try was Ike. From a distance, I thought it was Snake, but I remembered that Snake was not on the playable demo. I tried Ike with the Wii remote instead of the Classic Controller. I got used to him pretty quickly. Now whether that's because I've now played the game five times or that he's an easy character to learn, I don't know. He moves around pretty well, has a great up-B that's like Melee-Kirby's up-B (but Ike throws the sword, then goes up to get it, then comes back down with a smash. If you grab a ledge prior to the smash, then no smash, duh). Some good range, and easy to defend. This might be the character that newbs pick up if they don't choose Mario.

GIMPYFISH ON BOWSER -
http://www.getyourtournament.com/multimedia/gimpy1018.wav
HUGS ON SAMUS -
http://www.getyourtournament.com/multimedia/hugs1018.wav
T0MMY ON PIKACHU -
http://www.getyourtournament.com/multimedia/tommy1018.wav
TREVYN ON LINK -
http://www.getyourtournament.com/multimedia/zarelid1018.wav

freddo

Smash Journeyman
The updates are sounding really gay, but the game itself is looking more fun and balanced in the vids.

P.S The game is looking very N64ish, awesome.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
they spelt 'recommended' wrong in the poster...

Oni, you can join my crew if you want, so far it's myself and... you, and... two highly wanted spots. highly!

LemonManX

Smash Lord
Brawl is definitely seeming very Smash 64-ish. Which is fine, I loved Smash 64... but I also loved Melee. Ah well, this is only the demo version after all.

Sounds like Ike is made of fail. I may pick up Metaknight and Pit.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Oh ****, looks like I put my really perverted Peach joke in the wrong thread this time around.

Oh well.

Have fun tomorrow, guys! I won't be there. Italian oral exam on Tuesday. Migouuuuuuuuuuur I wish I had a white-face smiley I could put up.

oats

Smash Rookie
wat up everyone.....
JM here.. havent seen this site for a while
i hear theres some sort of session happening tomorrow...
hmmmm.... i may go

freddo

Smash Journeyman
JM:

'I may go, but I may not. I might see you in 4 years, but I might not. I might feel like going but I'll have to consider contemplating coming to this event because I'm not sure. Haven't been here for ages...'

JM is Melbourne's version of Chicken Salad, but Chicken Salad actually shows up to events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom