• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Victory is My Destiny - MK Video and Critique Thread

Gonzalo Barrios

Smash Apprentice
It's still not that easy to time. In my experience it usually trades. But most scenarios that MK players will glide from will put them above Fsmash range (and if you learn to tilt your glide but continue going forward you can stay above Fsmash range even from a distance).
That's right too.

Sometimes I charge an F-Smash, bait the shuttle loop, and then do a GSL, it has worked a couple of times, but you have to react quickly.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Doesn't utilt beat every dair in the game except... trading w/ DDD's?
it def beats ddd's ._.

or at least i do all the time so maybe i have jesus knight
Interesting...

*Turns on the wii*

*Call his local Link main*
because link matters. i have played link in tournament once in one game since this game came out >..>
Hey guys, I kind of made myself a promised that I would find a video to post a while ago, and I feel this one is a good one to post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1FikDTSl6k

Disregard the suicide. I meant to jump and dair on landing =/
before i watch it, i wanted to say youre free but i love you anyway

Could someone actually critique my vids? :D The community needs to support its newcomers!
sorry college is tiring, i havent critiqued anyones if it helps

Jem.

Smash Master
RJ - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1FikDTSl6k 1:37 of your video, why did you get up? If you didn't know, vs Olimar all you have to do is hold the ledge and hold up on your control stick at that point, and his up b will hit you yes, but you'll bounce upwards if you were afraid of getting spiked or something. (Which was a concern in 08-09) So if you just hold up on the control stick, you had a game-changing gimp.

iRJi

Smash Champion
RJ - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1FikDTSl6k 1:37 of your video, why did you get up? If you didn't know, vs Olimar all you have to do is hold the ledge and hold up on your control stick at that point, and his up b will hit you yes, but you'll bounce upwards if you were afraid of getting spiked or something. (Which was a concern in 08-09) So if you just hold up on the control stick, you had a game-changing gimp.
Yea, I am aware. It was a button error =/.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Could someone actually critique my vids? :D The community needs to support its newcomers!
relink please it wasnt in the last 2 pages and im not looking for it im to tired xD

doing RJs now

1. at the start after that first nado you shouldve dsmashed imo, 2nd hit is pretty safe on block and he was landing. instead you did the laggy broll

2. dont glide back to the stage

3. dont get greedy when you come back to life, he has way to many combos

overall you look like you know what youre doing, and you made a lot of smart reads, but sometimes you made technical errors or bad followups so they didnt work out

its kinda hard to critique you w/out going into theory bro.s or talking about my personal setups because tbh, your past the point where i can go like oh, space nado better. you know all of that stuff, and if you mess up - youre generally good enough to notice and practice.

but, you used dsmash a little to loosely imo, and always throw onffstage because you can get a potential gimp (although you got the regrab on the dthrow anyway so whatever)

Orion*

Smash Researcher
dair camp a Little close to the ground so you can immediately chase (FF airdodge or nado or something if your partner is in trouble and needs help) if marth is in between you and the ops and its a nuetral situation

tell your partner to throw back to you more often, and practice combos

practice auto cancelling nados, itll instantly help for the way youre trying to play

dont take your time returning to the stage! also try not to spam glide everytime either, because people always do that and get gimped as mk...

at 1:47 shouldve nadod so your partner possibly didnt get gimped (you did but it was at the lucario and like so late)

dont nado from to far away, better players will react faster, also when you do this you always kinda fall with it, and it never auto cancels. just a bad habit- wait until youre semi close (not close enough to be hit out of startup though)

3:33 was so greedy just space fairs/dtilts or nado at the ledge so he has a harder time getting off

SAX

Smash Ace
I've been a MK main now for a about a month or two (switching from wario).

I recently got second at a little tourny in my town, losing 1st to Kyon.
Vids will be up soon for me vs peach so just a heads up =3

TKila

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone

The point is that we want to know what you think about these two MKs users Sky (blue) and OSO (Green),

1. Identify level as a player
2. Mindgames
3. Creativity
4. All things u want to say.

Here Are the videos (unfortunately in the fight 2 is just the camera battery, >_> out of power But Sky won that match...

thank you MKs users and help us grow bigger as a community and especially to help us to show our level around the world

Colombia National Tournament (January 8 2011)

Sky vs OSO
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTFaD4B1nwM
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPeJsN-s9ho

I hope to read excellent reviews from you guys

Carefully, CObrawlers

Jem.

Smash Master
That first game vs Kyon, the last stock you just lost composure. In Brawl, you can win 2 full stocks down even. It's not unrealistic to not get hit for extended amounts of time in Brawl. You fell with nair onto him with the weak part, you just seemed to lose composure. Also vs Peach if she dairs your shield, short hop uair not nair. uair comes out faster and peaches usually dair your shield in a row, they dont back off. so once the first dair ends, uair. You need to nado more too, peach cant do much to stop nado.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I'll just give out my Peach advice from what I watched from the first stock.

Don't play footsies with Peach, I play with Illmatic a lot so I've got a good understanding of Peach and how to play against her. Kyon seems to play on the ground a lot and Illmatic floats a **** ton so that's where they differ.

If she's spamming turnips, get in with a close Nado, you'll eat her turnips and she can't do anything about it, from there you need to keep your Nado moving because Peach can Nair you out of it, so rise or sweep with your Nado and you should be fine.

If she stays grounded a lot like Kyon is doing, go up and poke her with tilts and get in by PSing her turnips, her grab is piss poor so her best option is gonna be to jab you away, from there you can just shield grab her. She doesn't have any good options from Dthrow so just follow up with a Nado or an aerial, even sometimes another grab if they air dodge.

Dair camping is pretty good against Peach, the few times you did it it was working. If you play an aerial game against Peach, play above her and use Dairs or other falling aerials along with Nadoes and SLs and you'll be good. As long as you play above her she can't do much, it's when you play in front and below her that you have a hard *** time.

For killing it's hard to kill her with Dsmash from my exp, your best options are aerials like Nair or SL, grounded SL (which eats everything, even her approaching Dair) and sometimes Fsmash.

If you get her on the ledge then you have all the options in the world, she has terrible ledge options and will usually stand up and shield or edge attack.

Finally I'm gonna disagree with what Jem said about Uair out of shield instead of Nair OoS. Nair will work just as good and punish them 3x's as hard. After her first Dair on your shield you have enough time to Nair her OoS before she Dair's again, the only way for her to beat your Nair OoS is for her to do a falling Nair after her Dair, but Peach's are usually greedy and 9/10 will Dair again to get their combo in so Nair OoS works a good majority of the time, though when you're at higher percents Peach's will start going using their falling Nair to keep from getting Naired themselves.

One last thing about her turnip pulls. Watch what she's pulling and look out for Dot faces, Stitch faces, Bom-ombs, Mr. Saturn, and Beam Swords.

Dots and Stitches will go through Nado, along with Bom-ombs and Beam Swords. If she gets either of the turnips you need to be careful and try to make her waste them. If she pulls a Bomb, just plank her, the Bombs will blow up after a little bit so she can't hold it forever. Only real problem with Mr. Saturn is how much he eats shields, so be careful not to get your shield broken. Finally Beam Swords are her best item imo, the throwing power and range they have is stupid, so just play safe and get rid of the Beam Sword asap.

Exdeath

Smash Master
I'll just give out my Peach advice from what I watched from the first stock.

Don't play footsies with Peach, I play with Illmatic a lot so I've got a good understanding of Peach and how to play against her. Kyon seems to play on the ground a lot and Illmatic floats a **** ton so that's where they differ.

If she's spamming turnips, get in with a close Nado, you'll eat her turnips and she can't do anything about it, from there you need to keep your Nado moving because Peach can Nair you out of it, so rise or sweep with your Nado and you should be fine.

If she stays grounded a lot like Kyon is doing, go up and poke her with tilts and get in by PSing her turnips, her grab is piss poor so her best option is gonna be to jab you away, from there you can just shield grab her. She doesn't have any good options from Dthrow so just follow up with a Nado or an aerial, even sometimes another grab if they air dodge.

Dair camping is pretty good against Peach, the few times you did it it was working. If you play an aerial game against Peach, play above her and use Dairs or other falling aerials along with Nadoes and SLs and you'll be good. As long as you play above her she can't do much, it's when you play in front and below her that you have a hard *** time.

For killing it's hard to kill her with Dsmash from my exp, your best options are aerials like Nair or SL, grounded SL (which eats everything, even her approaching Dair) and sometimes Fsmash.

If you get her on the ledge then you have all the options in the world, she has terrible ledge options and will usually stand up and shield or edge attack.

Finally I'm gonna disagree with what Jem said about Uair out of shield instead of Nair OoS. Nair will work just as good and punish them 3x's as hard. After her first Dair on your shield you have enough time to Nair her OoS before she Dair's again, the only way for her to beat your Nair OoS is for her to do a falling Nair after her Dair, but Peach's are usually greedy and 9/10 will Dair again to get their combo in so Nair OoS works a good majority of the time, though when you're at higher percents Peach's will start going using their falling Nair to keep from getting Naired themselves.

One last thing about her turnip pulls. Watch what she's pulling and look out for Dot faces, Stitch faces, Bom-ombs, Mr. Saturn, and Beam Swords.

Dots and Stitches will go through Nado, along with Bom-ombs and Beam Swords. If she gets either of the turnips you need to be careful and try to make her waste them. If she pulls a Bomb, just plank her, the Bombs will blow up after a little bit so she can't hold it forever. Only real problem with Mr. Saturn is how much he eats shields, so be careful not to get your shield broken. Finally Beam Swords are her best item imo, the throwing power and range they have is stupid, so just play safe and get rid of the Beam Sword asap.
Kyon doesn't have a static style. Until recently, he spent most of his game in float (just above Ftilt range -- it's annoying because it looks like Ftilt will hit, but it won't). Kyon is also good at pretty much frame perfectly Nairing out of Neutral B on hit if you miss any of the hits, and sometimes he'll set himself up so that the only way to punish him once you've started Neutral B is to do so in a way that is difficult to keep him in/he'll have a virtually guaranteed Nair out of (it's very common for MK players to not understand how to time B inputs during Neutral B).

Dair camping is not actually a good idea for continual play. Kyon likes to float under you and either wait for you to fall with Dair (if you AD into the ground, Peach can cover that option as well as Dair because of how fast Peach's aerials are) or to wait until you're out of jumps and will then just wait for you to commit to your landing option (which most players televise, myself included). It isn't necessarily that it doesn't work, but rather how quickly it will mentally drain you.

Kyon doesn't usually get-up and he rarely get-up attacks. He'll wait on the ledge, drop and Up-B back to the ledge, and ledge-release>Fair/Nair back onto the stage. Aside from get-up attack and roll on read, they're actually quite safe.

If you look at Kyon, he actually prefers to Dair>Nair and for a few good reasons. Nair isn't very risky on shield, is difficult to time a Nair/Uair (at least for me it is difficult to perform on a practical, unpracticed basis) to beat it, and can be safe on cross-up. In fact, choosing the wrong option to counter a cross-up often leads into a punish by one of Peach's kill moves. Even if you remain in shield/stay safe, Peach's close-range options can deal with MK just fine.

Jab with jab cancels, grab, Dsmash, jump>aerial, and Fsmash all counter otherwise good choices from MK. There are several times that Kyon has Fsmashed my Up-B (it can lean back to miss the hit box and then swing back and hit after the invincibility) when I read a jab. Fsmash also counter shield grab. If Peach landed with a Nair or jab canceled on shield, Dsmash will probably shield poke. Jab out-speeds anything MK can do out of shield and frame traps spot dodge. What beats jab is generally shield>punish. Even then, there's a decent window for Peach to jab cancel>grab or to delay the second jab in order to come out before grab. This is how Kyon gets most of his kill moves (Fair shield poking me is probably the most landed kill move against me when I've played against him). The reason that this isn't especially good for Peach is because most of these don't reap much reward.

To Sax/Bebop whatever your name is, a lot of times Kyon would make a huge jump with momentum because he'd acquaint you with a slow, campy play style and then he'd suddenly become very aggressive and fast. You wouldn't able to keep up with his immediate change in pace and your thinking would stop. Once you finally got some breathing space, you'd have taken a very large amount of damage and it often caused you to panic because you had a solid lead and then the match is either even or Kyon has the lead. You need to practice being able to switch to that faster pace and/or get away from Kyon to catch your thoughts. Something that I'm starting to do is to give up stage control when someone is taking me to a pace that I'm not comfortable with so that I can bring the match back to my pace. This isn't actually preferable, because stage control is VERY important, especially against a character with relatively weak kill moves and relies on stage control like Peach. Even so, it's better than taking a lot of damage and losing stage control anyway. Basically, you want to be capable of playing and still be able to fully think at all times.

SAX

Smash Ace
Haha, I got some mixed results here , but I think I'm gonna go with uair out of shield vs nair with peach dair combo on shield, the safer the better.
Will uair oos still work if peach comes down with a nair after dair?

Also p4, what do you mean by "playing footsies"?

And jem, I was thinking about nadoing more, but kyon seems to respond so well to it. I don't think approaching with nado is good. What better places could I use more than I am?

And thx for all the insight xdeath!

Orion*

Smash Researcher

Toneh

Smash Lord
I do the opposite. Her up-air and other moves are way too **** to use alot of d-airs on her. I usually avoided nairs because most of her aerials outranged it. I stuck to f-air's, up-airs, and grabs. You can use d-airs to knock her off stage but not as the main strat.

Peach's weakness's in the air are in front of her (MK's f-air is faster) and below her when she's up really high. Then you can space up-airs and shuttle loops.
Dair camping is not actually a good idea for continual play. Kyon likes to float under you and either wait for you to fall with Dair (if you AD into the ground, Peach can cover that option as well as Dair because of how fast Peach's aerials are) or to wait until you're out of jumps and will then just wait for you to commit to your landing option (which most players televise, myself included). It isn't necessarily that it doesn't work, but rather how quickly it will mentally drain you.
Exdeath called it.
Kyon
name search
usually waits and does ledgehop into aerial stuff or float. It works pretty good.
Kyon is also good at pretty much frame perfectly Nairing out of Neutral B on hit if you miss any of the hits, and sometimes he'll set himself up so that the only way to punish him once you've started Neutral B is to do so in a way that is difficult to keep him in/he'll have a virtually guaranteed Nair out of (it's very common for MK players to not understand how to time B inputs during Neutral B).
Use the edges of the nado, peach can only nair the center. But yeah you have keep nado really level too. Just make sure it never dips.
And jem, I was thinking about nadoing more, but kyon seems to respond so well to it. I don't think approaching with nado is good. What better places could I use more than I am?

And thx for all the insight xdeath!
When you see her go for a float, move in horizontally at her float level. None of her aerials can hit you from the side and she can't airdodge (like during ROB's Up-B). If you start it too far away it won't surprise them.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
If you learn to cancel your moves like up B, then peaches won't be able to usmash or fsmash you for it so easily. @_@ I'm pretty confident in the peach mu, because I also play her. When I'm peach vs mks, I wait for mks to miss basic things which a lot do. Like poor up b uses , and poor toranado spacing. If you tornado her while she floats, or up b oos to eat her float, she is pretty easy to juggle from there. :/ Always pay attention to what they pull. >_< her float is another recovery option pretty much, if you take that away from her and juggle her, life gets easier. ^_^

!!!RM!!!

Smash Journeyman
"kismet2 vs. George

kismet2 vs. George 1
kismet2 vs. George 2"

*I don't claim to know the Kirby MU perfectly, but I still think I can help out around here.* :D

Game 1:

0:22: If you see a Kirby DI your Dthrow down you can either fair, dash attack, or dash grab. Dash grab works best at 0%-5% since they'll likely just air dodge to the ground(although I think they can still buffer a jump out of it in time iirc, but that's beaten by the more common fair followup so they probably won't do that. ;) ).

0:29: Tornado isn't that great at punishing Kirby's landings, imo at least. If they DI up they just pop out and can just float away. Ftilt or Grab work better since they put them back in the same bad position they were just in: above an MK.

0:35: Well first of all, whenever a Kirby is floating that high up he's most likely going to Dair or Stone you, so be sure to notice that when and if it happens. Secondly, try and bait an airdodge before you shuttle loop Kirby in the air. He punishes that **** hard if you're at high%.

0:47: Dash grab doesn't really work well as an approach or followup against Kirby in too many situations outside of Dthrow>Dash Grab. If they sidestep it its a free grab/tilt for them and a grab isn't really worth that risk. Dash Attack is a lot safer in that situation since its unpunishable on shield, sidestep, and stays out long enough to hit them at the end of Back Roll.

1:57: When recovering with Tornado, try and bait their Fsmash by hovering for a second just out of its reach before actually recovering with it. Its a lot safer than going onstage right away and if they don't fsmash because they read you or something you can still fall onto the ledge or rush at them while they wait for you to end your Nado.

3:15: Fsmash is not the best option against Kirby. Fsmash on shield is an instant grab, and if they dash into shield there's nothing you can do to get away until they throw/tilt you.

In general just try and stay grounded against Kirbys. Ftilt and Dash Attack really gay him hard along with just keeping him in the air with Uairs and Throws, especially if its a stage like FD or SV where they don't have a platform to consistently fall back on. Might do video two in a while, but I have things to do so we'll see...

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
it's because the **** he put forth broke it, lulz

Jem.

Smash Master
Hey guys. I know a lot of people have been wanting to see videos of Felix vs myself. Both our sets are saved on the stream if you want to watch it. (We met in grand finals yesterday at our finale) We have one match saved to a Wii that will be uploaded, but this way you can watch more if you choose to do so. Criticism on my part is accepted too. me vs Zex is all saved on stream too, but you have to go through to find it. So for now we'll just do this.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/12499541

From when this clip starts, this is first set of GF, score is currently 1-1. I won on Battlefield game 1, he won on Pictochat game 2, Game 3 is what is starting when that starts. I believe the tournament finishes out on that segment, I haven't gotten to watching it yet though.

Gonzalo Barrios

Smash Apprentice
Yeah... my vids have been ignored like 4 times now. Oh well, guess that means everyone's just really busy! :D
First of all, You need to work on:

Spacing

Spacing, basically is, "boxing" your oponent which means attacking your oponent to put him in an akward position, for example, Snake it's really bad on the air, so you have to use Meta knight's attack in order to put Snake in the Air and above metaknight, so Mk can abuse his U-air juggles and air dodge traps (shuttle loop, N-Air).

Ko moves

You need to work on your Ko moves, MK is a weak character in terms of "KO skill", everytime you use an attack it gets weaker, so if you start spaming your D-Smash/N-Air before the oponents gets in a killing range (usually 110/120%) your attack won't kill your oponent! so you have to save your KO attacks for the right moment, and use the right attacks to rack up damage (U-Air, F-Air, Tornado, etc)

Your overall Game

You, basically. need to play more, watch videos of the top players and try to do what they do, most of the time you will learn only one thing of a video, but that little thing will help you greatly, I suggest Watching videos of Mew2king/Anti/Dojo/Seibrik/RedHalberd/Staco/etc. Your overall reaction time is slow, and your "brotherhood" in the game is little, you solve this things by playing a lot and watching your own videos, and figuring what to do in certain situations and stuff.

Your overall game it's not ********, you just need to play more, but i can you give you these tips.

IF you get attacked, just GSL (Grounded Up-b), you will counter that attack and rack up damage

If you are getting attacked from above do a quick Short Hop and do an U-Air (UP+A in the air), this attack has insane priority and its insanely fast

Try to put more "space" between kirby and you, that distance is the distance of your Forward aerial attack and your F-Tilt (tilted control stick, on the ground +A)

I will edit with more information, hope this helps :)

SAX

Smash Ace
All of this info is just my opinion, some stuff may be right or wrong, idk, but I'm just putting in my 2 cents.

First Match:
1:05 - NEVER approach with nado. I always find myself getting punished by doing that. Tedeth could have just daired through the top with you approaching like that, my friend does it 95% of the time whenever I rush in with nado. Use nado only to punish his airdodges to the ground or if you know he is going to spotdodge. Or do it just to mix it up, but don't do it just to "do it" If you see what I'm getting at.

Also, stop dashing around so much, walking is really good here. and instead of dashing and then Short hop fairing, try spacing with Ftilt instead, so much better. And if you're ever gonna space Fair, do it like you did at 1:38.

2:08 - Something you shouldn't be trying in this match up as well. You'll never hit a good wario player consistantly enough with shuttle loop if you use it in the open air like that. Always go for up airs etc instead of shuttle loop, you wanna stay as safe as possible.

Another side note, try bating wario with Fsmashes, like stutter step them backwards. It really makes wario's want to approach you, which is what you want.

*Something to really work on is that tornado approaching habit. It's really bad in this MU.
And don't do many Fair walls. IMO it's not good against good wario players. Trying to get inside them with Uairs and Dairs always works wayyyy better. You started doing this in the third match, and it really shows how good it is.

5:55 - here you had % lead. And you approached him and got punished for it. If you're winning just bait the heck out of him, and don't approach, force him to approach you and It'll be much easier to handle.

Btw, you played MUCH safer and smarter the third game. You were approaching less often and not doing as many risky things, staying safe is key! But I would still like to see more Ftilt in this MU, it's just too good.

Again, this is just my experience with playing wario players, and my one friend who plays him exceptionally well.
Hope this helps!

Jem.

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeMShoA_45Y&feature=related - Jem + Bladewise vs Zex + Nerd game 3 final set, down 0-2. awesome team combos on both sides

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKOkLK26_Zg - Jem + Bladewise vs Zex + Nerd Game 5 final set. Who says Marth is bad on rainbow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnDn58lWXcE Losers quarter-finals Jem vs Bladewise game 2. Picto shenanigans prevail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7zt-0CnyUU Grand finals set 2. Felix stops trying after first stock, but regardless, I eat diddy for breakfast rawr. I wanna play Gnes and ADHD!

Critique is welcome and highly wanted. I'm never satisfied and want to keep getting better.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Just gonna be blunt with it. HOW DO I PLAY LESS RETARTED?!? >.< I suck sooo bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvJNABUT2UA

Please critique MK boards!
i feel partially responsible for this... >_>

your movement is to linear

you essentially just walk back and forth and then just do a straight dash randomly at your opponent. no mixups no fluidity- and because of that you are predictable.

even if you are on autopilot and you arent changing your habits, at least make them harder to see. you can really improve this by playing in general, and if you can make yourself. play computers or wifi a bunch :D

dont do the same thing more than once in a row

dsmash is to laggy for a spacing tool

to many random dash grabs

you never ever space with fair
practice fair to dtilt , and mixing it up its really useful

Top Bottom