• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Victory is My Destiny - MK Video and Critique Thread

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
Hey, i know i already posted this but i would really like to get a good summary of some things i did right and things i need to improve on.

Please tell me my mistakes and things i did correctly

Mk vs snake, match 1 and 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HepvpJqGw98

Mk vs snake match 3. mk vs falco match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-djEFE0yiFw

Match 3 of me vs snake has a speed malfunction near the end, but hopefully it's enough data to critique.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Orion is amazing at critique.

Imma get some vids soon, pretty much just because of his amazing advice.
yeah im not gonna do that for every vid everyone posts unless someone asks me when they post it unless im just bored XD

edit: that and also a lot of times its pointless to get into move choices like that. p-4 from watching the vid i dont have to tell him to be like, lol learn to space forward air or w/e. i can just say you shouldve done this in my opinion and if he wants to he can or not its just what i wouldve done.

some critiques should be more general depending on the vid, the style and the level of the player. ie, if i tell someone who cant space dairs that he shouldve like empty short hopped just outside dash attack range and boost pivot grabbed snakes dacus as a bait and then bthrowed and done ex snake gimp ect. then he would try and do that and probably miserably fail.

it makes more sense to start at core gameplay

Player-3

Smash Hero
orion i know core gameplay, halp me with the metaknight stuff please

and alot of the stupid things i did were technical errors since i was in europe for 16 days prior to playing those matches V:

Orion*

Smash Researcher
the quality is so bad oh my goooood.

i will watch them later today when i have time and try anyway though. i probably will only do one video my tolerance for bad quality cant do both

Player-3

Smash Hero
then do the second one, the first one is just me making alot of stupid decisions and then making a 2 stock comeback

Exdeath

Smash Master
im actually going to change my controls this weekend. i juump w/ tap jump and i just feel that Y is more consistent so im taking tap jump off.
If you do that, OoS Nair will be a faster option than OoS Up-B.

Toony

Smash Journeyman
Spacing needs work, you're just throwing out fairs & dairs into the ground make yourself a laggy MK which is an oxymoron
1:30 That could have been an edgehog
then you uaired mindlessly at nothing

1:55 if you get a grab in that position, throw him off stage, not back into the center..
everytime you dash you try to grab, that is so predictable

3:07 lmao, stop nairing every single time you get thrown/sent slightly into the air that's predictable too

you get smash happy whenever you die & your opponent is at high %.

Hmm mind offering some more tips/suggestions/videos of a better spaced MK?

@ 1:55 I was trying to go into another grab and then throw him offstage =)

@ 3:07 I honestly loled when I looked back at this, no idea why I did like 3 nairs in a row XD

I guess I do get a little smash happy since I wanna kill fast lol.

Thx for tips, I'll post another vid as soon as I can.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
If you do that, OoS Nair will be a faster option than OoS Up-B.
i have L set as jump already so i just push L then upB lol

the stuff im having the most problem with right now since i started today is

1 ledge play
2 gimping
3 uair strings (do you guys push up and a or use the cstick for this lol)
4 short hop instant item cancel throw stuffs omfg i dont want to have to relearn it but its worth it

overall i think im doing pretty good and ill adjust soon enough. i probably wont go mk next weekend in tourny unless im feeling good about it but who knows

Orion*

Smash Researcher
player 3 game 2

@ :13 when you got hit by the dash attack it looked like you where trying to space another fair?

either way not the best option dairing is much safer vs snake for 2 reasons.
1) snakes hands or shoulders are like invincible duuring his dash attack so you would get hit and evne if you traded somehow trading with snake is almost always bad
2) if you space fairs youre stuck in cooldown for like half a second and if snake grabs you omfg you will take damage if the players good >_>.

even SH dair can be better if youre just spacing because you can jump away if you see him do stuff

also if snake doesnt have a grenade and Dashes torwards you tornado please

@ :16 you shouldve gone for full hop nair oos or SL oos then just try and hit him w/ falling bair into stuff or glide attack.

@ :20 shouldve upB oosed instead of grab

right after he spot dodged

vs people that youve never played before always test to see how they deal with nado, or if they are capable of it. in this case he spot dodged so his best options after where to ftilt/grab you for staying there, or utilt/nade if he read nado.

i wouldve just grounded nado in front of him the Worst that would happen is that you get utilted and it will clank because the nado is grounded and you can ftilt him before he shields. if he shields then just go for poke, if he tilts, or grabs he got nadod and if he pulled a nade since you werent on him you where just in front then rise with the nado and go over his head or retreat lol

instead you ran away from spot dodge and then dashed back to be hit by dacus.

Note that he walked away before dacusing, a lot of people fall for that even i do that as a habit a lot so just keep a note i bet he will do it again as im going through the vid.

uthrow instead @ :25 unless you have port priority lol

@ :26 dont dair Into the ground please. free ftilt/grab for good players jump first

good bait at :28. since he already grabbed you may as well have dash grabbed and pummeled at the ledge and you may get a luck gimp + more damage anyway

@ 29 you edge gaurded w/ fair which is bad lol. that will never hit him if he cyphers. juggle him w/ uairs, or hit him out with nair/SL or fresh dair. in that case dair was the best option imo

shouldve nadod @ :33

you both failed @ :38 but you shouldve glide attacked him or down B canceled outside of his range and nadod as a mixup. you dashed instead and got utilted. thats the secnod time yo where hit for dashing at snake before you can shield

GREEDY dash grab at :45 thank god he punished you.

@ :52 uair instead of SL. if it hits you keep juggling if it doesnt then you SL because he airdodged. cover those options

uair > nair at 1:00 if he had cyphered instead you can like immediately do something else because uair is amazing like that

greedy dash grab again at 1:13

upB @ 1:18 you wont get hit by the nade and itll cause him shield stun so its hard to punish if you cancel

you saw the airdodge already dash attack his landing at 1:30

@ 1:51 you let snake land for free give dat *** damage and follow his DI

@ 1:53 you dash attacked right into grounded snake. he has a habit of only punishing you like half the time for that, against better players you will get punished for dashing like that though

@ 1:58 uair prolly had a higher chance of killing lol. maybe ally wouuldve survived dat shiz though XD

@ 2:09 missed a uair string. if he dis away that well you shouldve just faired though lol

@ 2:10 you landed and nadod badly auto cancel or go farther away lol

snake suucks and doesnt grab release you or utilt you before that -.-

idk wtf is going on @ 2:23 both you are ******** dont airdodge land in front of snake like that lol

chinese DI at 2:28

GREEDY DASH GRAB MAKES YOU LOSE STOCK AT 2:37
^ hence me saying this the whole vid lol
i dont go back and edit this stuff i write it once theres a reason i was saying it

2:42 just hit snake dont do fancy **** ftilt is so gay

Dashed at snake Again at 2:48 and got jabbed lool

wtf @ 3:03 looks close like you hit him SL def wasnt stale w/e

Player-3

Smash Hero
stop dash grabbing so much got it

and the ftilt thing that was fancy or w/e was actually a mistake, i meant to do a full ftilt... i don't do fancy **** on purpose lmao

thanks i don't know much about MK, that helps alot though

Exdeath

Smash Master
i have L set as jump already so i just push L then upB lol

the stuff im having the most problem with right now since i started today is

1 ledge play
2 gimping
3 uair strings (do you guys push up and a or use the cstick for this lol)
4 short hop instant item cancel throw stuffs omfg i dont want to have to relearn it but its worth it

overall i think im doing pretty good and ill adjust soon enough. i probably wont go mk next weekend in tourny unless im feeling good about it but who knows
It's still going to add enough frames to be similar to D/Ftilt OoS. Perhaps you could use your R button instead so that you don't need to relearn instant throwing. I personally use a right-handed claw for Uair strings/juggling/whatever, although it isn't necessary with tap-jump off. You should be able to jump and Uair with the same finger (and the up direction, obviously). The best part about tap-jump off is the easy shadow loop.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
It's still going to add enough frames to be similar to D/Ftilt OoS. Perhaps you could use your R button instead so that you don't need to relearn instant throwing. I personally use a right-handed claw for Uair strings/juggling/whatever, although it isn't necessary with tap-jump off. You should be able to jump and Uair with the same finger (and the up direction, obviously). The best part about tap-jump off is the easy shadow loop.
i think im just going to keep tap jump off for a week to learn how to do what i want w/ y and then the harder stuff like insta throwing keep using tap jump for
edit: which vid game 1-2 vs snake or game 3 vs snake and 1 vs falco.

im sorry i dont have like 2 hours and comment on every one or i would lol

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I play with default settings, so yeah tap jump is on for me. I never bothered to change anything since I got so used to Melee. The only thing I do with MK is claw grip when I D-Air camp.

Player-3

Smash Hero
p4 just claw it for GSL oos

put your index finger on Y/X and your thumb on B and bam, easy to do

just learn to play claw when spacing and preparing to use OoS options... it's really easy lol and i do it without realizing it anyways

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Problem with claw is that I use L for grab so I can DACUS with other characters (Snake lol). So I essentially can't claw while still holding shield :(.

Jem.

Smash Master
wait you're struggling to do some of that stuff with tap jump on, orion?

i feel perfectly comfortable with tap jump on, and i use up to jump for my uair strings (up + c stick u) and for my instant throws and catches and such hah. i find tap jump on to be better. (i used up on control stick to jump in melee too.. as spacies.. so i am pretty weird)

Orion*

Smash Researcher
wait you're struggling to do some of that stuff with tap jump on, orion?

i feel perfectly comfortable with tap jump on, and i use up to jump for my uair strings (up + c stick u) and for my instant throws and catches and such hah. i find tap jump on to be better. (i used up on control stick to jump in melee too.. as spacies.. so i am pretty weird)
i had problems with tap jump off, i did Everything with tap jump before

i wanted to switch to Y to jump.

i ended up liking tap jump better for the things you mentioned, so i decided to keep tap jump on and just used it off to learn how to SH aerial with y as a habit. so now its like 50/50

theunabletable

Smash Lord
@P4: I used to have tap jump off, as well. All I really did was start playing all of my friendlies with tap jump on (I’d still play my tourney matches with it off until I got used to it on) until I got used to it.

It’s really helpful. So you may lose a few friendlies in the process of getting used to tap jump on, it’ll pay off in the long run.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
@P4: I used to have tap jump off, as well. All I really did was start playing all of my friendlies with tap jump on (I’d still play my tourney matches with it off until I got used to it on) until I got used to it.

It’s really helpful. So you may lose a few friendlies in the process of getting used to tap jump on, it’ll pay off in the long run.
I've tried to with tap jump on, but I just don't like it. I'll try other options to remedy my problem.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398

Sago

Smash Lord
Rate my MK
I've never been in the MK boards so i thought i would swing by and post some vids.

These are Winners finals against Minnesota Moe at a tourney last saturday so there extra fresh.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QkWKtFpSjs

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acI9f...eature=related

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tUfN...eature=related

4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj0S8...eature=related

5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQeWd...eature=related

I only think 1 match of our grand finals stuff got recorded but i forfeit out 2nd set of GF after 5 games in the first set. I was really very exhausted and sick and didnt really want to play.

I would like to improve so i wana here your take on my MK (Green)

Masterchef1123

Smash Apprentice
Crtique please guys ^.^
and before anyone brings it up, I'm still a Falco main; mk is just my backup.

These are tourney matches(losers finals) vs blue rogue. 1st two I went Falco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXQ0FT2_lcg match 3(mk vs wario)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWVKe05aEpU&feature=related 4(mk vs icies)
if you want to beat icees your gonna have to stop camping and looking for openings
Cause a lot of the times you'll just be getting yourself grabbed during the lag frames of your landing.
Play with smart aggression. Icees are no fun to get chain grabbed by but if you can be aggressive and get them apart and rack up tons of damage. Yet still watch out for grabs you'll do fine

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Heyo, guys!
I know this may not get many responses. XD But I would greatly, whole-heartedly appreciate it.

I decided to play MK as a secondary. Not because he's a good character, but I think he's extremely fun.
I just started playing him really seriously last night. So he is very new still.
I learn very quickly so any tips will be very helpful!
I also learn by watching people, and we have a lot of top MKs here in Ohio so in these videos I try and mimic what they do. I'm still not very good since he's really new to me.
I want to become very good with him, though!!
Thank you so much, guys! Sorry if they're really bad!
I noticed I need to work on not landing with dairs. ;p And I do some silly things, but it's only been a night so with more work and practice it should turn out well.
Thanks agaaain!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RSWWqxyfys MK dittos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyLgtZkCuXk Vs. Pikachu

Thank you again! It really means a lot to me!

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I'll critique the MK ditto.

You need to stop trying to D-Air camp the other MK. It puts you in a disadvantageous position because MK can juggle MK well and if you are high% that is even worse. I saw you use Dsmash in instances where an Ftilt would have been a better options. Not only are you staling it but you could have done 12% with the ftilt instead of a staled 10% from the dsmash.
you approach with nair a lot. That doesn't have a lot of range and can be punished easily idk what Crash is doing. You always glide attack after a shuttle loop.

I'm not exactly a great critique, but those are just some things I saw. Good luck and have fun playing mK! =)

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Thank you so much, Kaffei! I'm slowly trying to do more with my tilts.
As for nairs I'm used to playing GnW! But I should most definitely work on that.
I'll work on SL as well!

And it's okay, I really appreciate the fast response!

Edit: Anymore critiques help!

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Thank you so much, Kaffei! I'm slowly trying to do more with my tilts.
As for nairs I'm used to playing GnW! But I should most definitely work on that.
I'll work on SL as well!

And it's okay, I really appreciate the fast response!

Edit: Anymore critiques help!
Read my guide! http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=278776

:)

What you need to work on more is control and spacing, right now you're kinda all over the place. What I suggest in the ditto is Fairs and Ftilts, you gotta poke at him, same goes with Pika. Also I see you Nairing and SLing out of MKs Dthrow, Dair or Fair instead. Like Kaffei said, don't Dair camp MKs, you're just asking to get juggled.

With Pika it's good to be in his face with tilts and aerials and throw in some grabs. You need to work on Tornado control as well.

Just work on spacing first, that's the main key. Then when you get comfortable with your spacing you gotta speed it up :). Also learn how to fast fall cancel your SLs, that will go a long way.

Top Bottom