• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Victory is My Destiny - MK Video and Critique Thread

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
sorry for the late post.

but what I mean is that you like to uproach a lot in the same way. Which is where he can punish you with grab and ftilt. Uproach more though the air and try to get snake up there. That way He can't do much. You also go in at moments you can just stay away as well. Just stay away and let him come to you. Stay in the range that he can't spam granedes but outside his tilt range. that's where you want to be vs snake.

the other vid you did play pretty well.
I'd say grab more often It's a great option and especialy against snake. you also use tornado kinda often. This snake didn't punish it but it is punishable. And watch out for the utilt spam.(At the end)

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Thanks a lot! I didn't take into account staying in the range he can't spam but outside his tilt range, I will take this into account in all my future matches. I don't know well how to uproach through the air, so I should practice more this. Thanks again!
Oh, and I should quit my tornado habit lol

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Nado is retardedly effective against Phantasm lol
iirc, any aerial can beat it if you space/time it well or if you still have some ledge invincibility.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Just expect the sideB
Falco's upB is way to bad to use and if he should use it He should be dead.
just guard the edge and force him on stage. then when he uses sideB React to it and jump of the edge and nado him or use and arial

EDIT: you do need to react pretty quik.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC_msUHdFbA
Do you guys have any tips other than nado Falco's recovery? Any1 know some good combo strings that I could have/should go for? Seems like I need a lotta work. I haven't gone to enough offline tournies :<
Your mk is overall good

dsmash in horrible spots cost you games
you have a forward roll habit although sk didnt punish it
and you dont know how to apply pressure without going for a hard read

also, if you arent nadoing falcos recovery, meaning you aren't doing what works the most consistently, then you dont need to learn mixups.

fsmashes where obvious when he was offstage

XDDD

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the advice, guys :D
Yeah I guess I do have a forward roll habit.
I only do it because MK's fw roll is fast and no1 ever punishes/reads it much against me. When you dash right into a Falco that's SHDLing they guess that you would dash attack/aerial, not fw roll generally. I'll try to mix it up more.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Thanks for the advice, guys :D
Yeah I guess I do have a forward roll habit.
I only do it because MK's fw roll is fast and no1 ever punishes/reads it much against me. When you dash right into a Falco that's SHDLing they guess that you would dash attack/aerial, not fw roll generally. I'll try to mix it up more.
MK's froll is really good, you just don't want to be super predictable with it either. you also down smash a ton after the roll, a lot of times you can get a better reward out of a successful froll + down smashing a lot stales a good kill move.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I found so many mistakes from Deap that I'd rather critique him lol
Great job punishing them tho. You got some good landing punishes and gimps.

I personally wouldn't go that aggro against an Olimar (at least, I wouldn't dashgrab from neutral positions that much).

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
lol Deap kinda sucks, I'm looking to play the top 2 with me (most possible he is #1) of Sonora and record some matches to see my level.

offtopic: nothing about a MK community combo video? :9 the last kill is perfect for one

edit: WTF with that shaky fix? ... D;!

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
got 2 replays from this weekend vs Olimar... I'm not able to upload them but I'd like to get critiques about it to improve at that MU :c

at the first one I get badly bodied, the 2nd one was much better somehow, but still lost the match :c

could anyone help me with the uploads? I'd appreciate it a lot x_x

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
well I only know of my friend, he's the only one I have played offline and the only one who attends tourneys...

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
AlanHate, send me the replays, and I'll upload the videos.

I think in the north there is a Olimar, he plays with Waymas and Richi, idk really.

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
AlanHate, send me the replays, and I'll upload the videos.

I think in the north there is a Olimar, he plays with Waymas and Richi, idk really.
Many thanks!! I'll PM you the MF links as soon as I can copy the replays to the PC. ^^

Who's this Olimar that you say? Must be wifi of course as they both live in DF

EDIT:

don't know if it's a good idea to double post so I just edited x_x

the vid has been uploaded!!! Thanks Metakill ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXqf0I1MRNc

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Hey, guys.. my bro would like his Mk critiqued and i wanted to know if you guys accepted cam recordings? I don't' have a capture card or anything like that.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Hey, guys.. my bro would like his Mk critiqued and i wanted to know if you guys accepted cam recordings? I don't' have a capture card or anything like that.
Go for it. As long as we can see what's going on the screen, it's always "ok".

By the way, if you would like my personal advice, you can always post them here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324039

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Well, Nair is a basic kill move for MK.

DLA, is hard to tell if you're doing something wrong if you outplay the opponent like that.
That said, you generally played very safe, but then you fell for some tricks, like GaW's Fire when you're recovering, or Falco's... Laser... stuff...
If anything, I'd say you need to learn to recover; you made some risky recoveries and if someone ever notices that, they could get the best of you. I mean, you're MK, you can do whatever you want to recover.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I think you stale many kill moves at key moments (like Shuttle Loops when opponent is at +80%), and you attack every single time you are in range, just as if trying to make every approach to count. I don't think that's bad, but I'd mix it up a little to see how my opponent reacts. With that I also can notice when my opponents shield a lot and find openings so I can grab them (I didn't see enough grabs there, but I only saw first two vids).

So basically, my personal advice there is to mix your approaches a bit more, and don't spam kill moves.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Hey MK boards. I've had a pocket MK for a while, but I went solo MK in tournament for the first time this past weekend, and I'm looking to seriously work on my Metaknight for future events. Everybody tells me my MK is janky and I feel like there's probably a lot I could be doing better, so critique would be greatly appreciated!

vs. Pikachu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhtMFYw5dQA

This is one of my most-played MUs, so I felt pretty comfortable with how I played here. Really tight set though.

vs. Wolf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpKrWYz4_jg

This is the set that I need critique in the most. I don't have much experience against Wolf at all, and I feel like it showed in my gameplay. I think more of my bad habits/weaknesses have shown themselves in this set than in the others.

vs. MK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opRIHtrc0IA

Honestly, this set was kinda dumb; Sakurai interfered heavily, and kinda screwed up my mindset, leading to some pretty stupid things happening in game 3. =/ The video quality isn't as good either, but I figured I'd post it anyway for completeness and because the ditto is obviously pretty important.

These videos are kinda long; like I said, the set against Wolf is probably the best material for critiquing since I didn't have much prior experience to fall back on. I certainly don't expect anybody to dig through all of this, but any legit advice would be very helpful. =D

Edit: Ignore my Location. Yoshi sucks.

:005:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
When a player that's known for maining a certain character switches to MK, it makes me think MK is evil, alas, all of us are evil...

Apparently Wolf's range, mobility and speed caught you offguard through all the set, you DI'ed wrong his Dsmash many times, got juggled hard and got punished for random falling aerial moves. Also, you need to know how to abuse Wolf's weight to make combos on him at low percentages, and to be careful against him when he's offstage (Wolf is NOT easy to gimp).
It is a tough matchup even for the people that know it (I don't), but recommend you to rewatch your matches a couple of times and take notes.

I'm yet to watch the ditto, I may do that later.

EDIT: lol that whole set was dumb.
Like, after two dumb matches you forgot what MK could do, didn't take him seriously and got killed REALLY early.
Nothing really to be critiqued there, you did good and were much better than your opponent, you almost take the game at the very end.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
When a player that's known for maining a certain character switches to MK, it makes me think MK is evil, alas, all of us are evil...

Apparently Wolf's range, mobility and speed caught you offguard through all the set, you DI'ed wrong his Dsmash many times, got juggled hard and got punished for random falling aerial moves. Also, you need to know how to abuse Wolf's weight to make combos on him at low percentages, and to be careful against him when he's offstage (Wolf is NOT easy to gimp).
It is a tough matchup even for the people that know it (I don't), but recommend you to rewatch your matches a couple of times and take notes.

I'm yet to watch the ditto, I may do that later.

EDIT: lol that whole set was dumb.
Like, after two dumb matches you forgot what MK could do, didn't take him seriously and got killed REALLY early.
Nothing really to be critiqued there, you did good and were much better than your opponent, you almost take the game at the very end.
Yeah, a lot of that Wolf stuff is the kind of thing I'm aware of in theory (good range/mobility/speed, weight makes him comboable, doesn't actually get gimped most of the time) but in practice, I don't really understand how to take advantage of his weaknesses/watch out for those strengths (hence the bad DI, which IMO made a huge difference in this set). I did start Nadoing a lot at the beginning of the 3rd match because it was working really well on him, but it wasn't enough. I watched it over a couple times, but I should probably start actually taking notes to solidify my thoughts of what I did wrong...

The third match was less me forgetting what MK could do and more me brooding over Sakurai's unjust hand instead of focusing on the match. I made myself focus again towards the end mainly because I wanted it to be close so my claim that Sakurai screwed me wouldn't seem completely ridiculous. >.> I went into don't get hit mode, and even at the end I think I could have avoided that SL if I had cancelled my shuttle loop on time...

:005:

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
You did a lot of moves without having any result. Like you did moves while your oponent was not even trying to get in on you.
And your DI isn't great.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
You did a lot of moves without having any result. Like you did moves while your oponent was not even trying to get in on you.
And your DI isn't great.
Thanks. My di is better when I pay attention to the match. Sometimes I just think other things and then air dodge instead of using aerials to di.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
You need to improve you BananaKnight game, I didn't see you really using bananas at all, you pretty much picked and threw them withouth a real purpose.
They are for either use them for punish or just throw them away. I saw Nairo throwing then to the other side of the stage, but making sure they were still on the ground so ADHD couldn't get more. That was pretty smart of him.

Also, you need to work on your edgeguarding, many times you either let River return without challenging his landings, or got damage from his Diddy Hump. Ledgeguarding Diddy is tricky, but once mastered, you can get great advantage from it.

Great job on stage control though, you did pretty well keeping Diddy against the corner, thus, avoiding his killing moves.

I can't say much about the Wario match (first off, Voodoo People, great choice), just try to be more careful with his aerial mobility, he got many damage on you by punishing some of your mistakes (and a couple uairs via juggling, you have many jumps and two glides, you can avoid his juggles).

Again, great job avoiding his kill moves.

D

Deleted member 189823

Hi. I'm not really a MK player myself, but I am on behalf of a friend here...he doesn't have an account and he doesn't speak English, so I came to get his MK critiqued:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRZwybfV4LM

I was wondering if he's playing the MU right. Someone told me he's inexperienced as MK, but I personally think he just isn't playing this particular MU right...any advice reguarding this MU? I'd like it to be harder for me, as it is one of Bowser's hardest MUs.

Top Bottom