• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

.tea©

Smash Journeyman
Sup guys,
there was another tourney in Vienna last weekend and some stuff got recorded.
Results can be found here: http://forum.germansmash.de/showthr...AUSTRIA-(Results-und-Shoutouts)-21-April-2012
More videos from this tournament can be found here: http://forum.germansmash.de/showthread.php?18586-Battle-for-Austria-Videos&p=586800

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfgMvZioc_k <- WQF vs Clemens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQp1qQqQs_w <- WSF vs Ramon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ThYZpK8N8g <- WF vs Ares

All matches except the last three matches of Winner Finals are without sound. I hope they´re watchable though.
I haven´t played the jigglypuff match-up in a long time and suddenly two people started counterpicking her against my samus. :( So my shieldpressure vs jiggs was pretty bad. I dsmashed and dashattacked way too much. More jab cancels next time I guess. I still took WFs 3:1 (we split for GFs) so everything´s fine. :)

DRGN

Technowizard
Our tournament series, TAG, in Sacramento, CA usually records. Here's my Samus from a recent one.

Mooninite (Marth) vs. DRGN (Samus/Sheik)

DRGN (Samus) vs. Dark Mike (Link/Samus)

Yeah, that's right, Dark Mike still plays. XD Lol and he has a Link now (which he was using quite a bit last tournament).

I guess I'll post these in the megaplex thread too if there's interest to add something to the OP. Some of that stuff is pretty old. :p

LOOL. I just noticed the OP is banned.

ycz12

Smash Ace
Is this thread still active? I've got some recent tournament vids I'd like opinions on, ordered approximately by how much I'd like them looked at.

Me beating KoreanDJ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWutoLMPvXw
Loss vs MattDotZeb (Falco): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4hJIHgjyEM
Loss vs Mafia (Peach/Falcon): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU5DP1QBmVs
Loss vs MattDotZeb (Falco): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVhGYHwwmVk
Win vs Arc (Marth): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUj3olPigU0
Win vs Solar (Peach): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_ijUZc9dvs&feature=plcp
Win vs WeaponX (Peach): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW4WuAr5vBc
Crew battle (Sheik, Falco, Doc): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCOmN39RhvM#t=867s

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
KidWithChemicals, i really really like ur samus. i'm pretty sure ur better than me but i'll try to give some help.

Biggest thing i saw: that peach almost never grabbed. i almost thought i had a delusion when she grabbed at the end (i think that was her only successful grab). so, i think u could've shielded more. especially from the recovery. when she's just floating there, you could do a normal get-up and immediately throw up ur shield. u could even shield grab some of the time i think. u could also put up ur shield after a roll on stage.

other ledge options: pretty good, only thing i saw was that u jumped from the ledge a little too much (IMO). this option is generally slow, and often gets me punished. idk, u didnt get punished for it really, but it's something to watch.

charge shot: i love the way u attack where she isnt, and how u wavedash past and around her then get the hit. ur predication and mindgames are pretty good. HOWEVER, dont go for crazy predictions with the shot. too many missed shots, i think. against peach, i'd usually save it for her recovery. she has a slow double jump and a shot could force her to drop her umbrella faster than she wants (or get hit :bee:).

other things: never give up. i feel like u quit too early on ur recovery in the second match (on FD). when she's floating and ur on the ledge: i'd just wait. drop and jump until she lands. thats my opinion. also, less standing grabs...sooo sloowww. also, once u were bomb recovering and extended it over the stage. i like the idea of the mixup, but it put u general helpless above the peach...i think u died for it.

overall, great samus! i think i learned alot just from watching u

Violence

Smash Lord
Anto, I've always been a fan of your wavedance->dsmash. It's really smooth and a great spacing tool.

You did a great job adapting to his one dimensional recovery patterns. It's not easy to punish ledgehop phantasm every time, and you managed to anticipate it and capitalize very consistently.

That said, the two most glaring things I can see from your play are:

1. Recovery: You rarely sweet spot grapple or Up B. Whenever you missed a sweet spot, I didn't see you use a wall jump mixup to increase your chance of survival. I'd work on the recovery, personally.

2. Spacing: Mostly your spacing was like, "Is he in dsmash range? DSMASH! DSMASH HIM NOW!" and that's awesome right now, but eventually you'll get to Fox players where you can't just expect the dsmash to hit because they'll outspace you. I'd mix in more movement rather than the stationary wait for them and ccdsmash.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
I contemplated putting this vid up, cause i get owned. but hey, u gotta get better somehow. i'd never played against a fox this good before. also, i know the few heinous mistakes already. such as ****ing up my recovery and getting baiting into spotdodging, then getting usmashed...twice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxJZGpgDr4

a better match for me against someone more on my skill level. still, there are alot of mistakes that i dont normally make/shouldnt have made.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd9vcC7igK4

Corigames

Smash Hero
*First Match*
Way to outplay that peach. Force out two SDs and then get a rage quit. Nice

*Second Match*
Ok, for realzies. Stop trying to assault peach in the air, it just doesn't work. Your best options are staying on the ground or REACTING to her by jumping and doing Nairs and Uairs. If you are the one being proactive, then expect Peach to be able to back off and punish you.

You cannot punish Peach out of a float cancel with a shield. You will get Dsmashed/jab/grabbed. She has no lag on float cancels and will be able to hit you right away. If she does hit your shield and is close enough for it, do an Up B and reset. If she hit's your shield from a distance, just WD back and reposition yourself.

You cannot kill the death boxes, so don't Nair off the stage to your death ;)

If you are recovering and are about to get hit by a turnip that would kill you, might as well try to grab it and drop it. The trajectory of the turnips can only go two ways when she's just spamming them from the ledge: medium or far. If you're watching her instead of yourself (since you should know the timing of your bombjumps without watching) you can see how you need to move to avoid getting it, whether it be to FF and then bomb again to cancel it or moving left or right to get around it.

You didn't use a single tilt that entire game. Don't under estimate them. When you play a Peach that's a bit more experienced than the one you are playing, they won't let you win aerial battles quite as easy. Utilt and Ftilt are great tools against peach to rack up damage and punish missed attacks. WD in Upward angled Ftilt is one of my favorite approaches for her.

*Third Match*
Now that's not to say you can just throw tilts out there and expect to land them. They have to be precise (something I'm still working on).

Don't CC Peach. I know, you really really really want to CC punish her just like you do everyone else... but don't. It's bad :(

Don't be afraid to air dodge through turnips and then grapple the stage. It works nicely, just watch out for a Peach that will try to Z drop turnips on you.

Stop trying to Dair her shield. Unless it's a low shield, you aren't going to get anything worthwhile out of it.

Also, I suggest spamming more missiles at float height instead of on the ground. If you shoot them at just above where her head is, you can force her to either:
A) Stay on the ground and approach with a Dash Attack (punish with- Sheild grab, WD back fsmash, Dsmash/tilt)
B) Use an aerial attack to stop the Missile (Punish by jumping at her before she can attack again and using an appropriate aerial)

Done for now, hope that helps some.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
^ Haven't even read it yet and yet uber excited.

Awesome thanks for the help <3 I love utilt but I need to guess the opponent right to land it.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
corigames, awesome critique. umm, try to save ur second jump. specifically, sometimes u did a double jump into a dair. i think the short hop dair is better and safer.

utilt. some utilts are reading ur oppenent but there are many other good times to use it. as u probly know, its a great edgeguarding tool (not so much against peach, but most of the other characters). also, utilt can hit from under any bottom platform except on dreamland. so, if ur oppenent is on a platform above u, utilt is great. also, after one of ur fast-falled lcanceled fairs or uairs. the fair or uair can sometimes put them right in utilt range. finally, if u didnt know, down-throw > utilt can combo on some characters if they dont DI correctly. (someone better than me can elaborate on that maybe)

looking good!

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
sry for double post, but i remembered this match. i like my play in this match.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Sfd-oqrus&feature=plcp

something i really have trouble with: when i'm close to the ledge and i'm being pressured, i feel like i always get hit. like at 3:20 in this match. (also, in that match vs VaNz i posted earlier. i get pressured near the ledge, spot dodge, and die...)

any suggestions?

Pluplue

Smash Ace
You seem to throw out attacks randomly. Just because you know how to L-cancel doesn't mean you should be throwing out random down airs.
The hardest thing to learn in this game (imo) is knowing all of the possible ways they could punish you, and always doing the safest thing in every circumstance you're in.

For a blunt example let's say you see a falcon shielding. Down smashing the shield will get you knee'd 100% of the time. Jabbing is the safest option because he either has to roll dodge or jump, and you can punish both of those if you anticipate them.
Obviously spacing is a factor but let's just assume you have good enough spacing so you wont get grabbed :p.

Learning that kind of stuff takes so much practice and understanding that you can't just play versus a computer for a few hours and be done with it, like wavedashing or L-canceling.
This isn't really a samus specific thing either, it's actually the main problem almost every smasher has and I think recognizing it's a problem and working on it is the perfect way to improve.

Some people might say "Oh playing safe is playing gay" to which I reply "Casual***s".

Corigames

Smash Hero
**************ers is always a good one.

My punish sense is always a second to my stupid muscle memory. I'll do something out of instinct and not of actual reaction, then, the second I hit the button, I'll know that it's going to get me punished. I feel bad every time... like Dsmashing Falcon's shield and getting Kneed 100% of the time :/

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
You seem to throw out attacks randomly. Just because you know how to L-cancel doesn't mean you should be throwing out random down airs.
The hardest thing to learn in this game (imo) is knowing all of the possible ways they could punish you, and always doing the safest thing in every circumstance you're in.

For a blunt example let's say you see a falcon shielding. Down smashing the shield will get you knee'd 100% of the time. Jabbing is the safest option because he either has to roll dodge or jump, and you can punish both of those if you anticipate them.
Obviously spacing is a factor but let's just assume you have good enough spacing so you wont get grabbed :p.

Learning that kind of stuff takes so much practice and understanding that you can't just play versus a computer for a few hours and be done with it, like wavedashing or L-canceling.
This isn't really a samus specific thing either, it's actually the main problem almost every smasher has and I think recognizing it's a problem and working on it is the perfect way to improve.

Some people might say "Oh playing safe is playing gay" to which I reply "Casual***s".
yea i def agree, thanks. i def need to work on using the smartest move for the situation rather than letting muscle memory do some random stupid move or sequence. playing safe is playing smart.

maybe part of the problem is that i usually am playing my roommates, who cant punish or combo for ****. so, its easy to get away with dumb decisions. i'm going to focus on what u said tho, thanks.

and lol to *** being censored

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend

You sound like a Brawl player here.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Things I'm going to work on tonight:

1. More playing Samus like Samus and not like Falco/Falcon
2. Playing reactionary not predictably.
3. Swd's, recovery mixups, and that cool bomb to air dodge grapple into bomb into an aerial thing that Samus player do that I haven't been able to do yet.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
yea, i know how it feels corigames. glad u can share my pain, lol.

irobinhoood for the bomb > grapple-cancel its really just the timing. i'm pretty sure i just air dodge at the same time i would drop another bomb (if i were doing the bomb recovery). then make sure u grapple immediately after the airdodge and u should get the cancel. then after the cancel u can do whatever u want, an aerial or missile or anything. also, its up to u if u drop the bomb and move to the side then airdodge horizontally straight into the bomb, or if u dont move to the side and just airdodge in place. both work. i think the most important part is getting the grapple out quickly...hope that explained it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLGa2pq8Ym8
uh, i'm pretty sure this is the match. u can also double bomb (like the bomb recovery) and airdodge down > quickly grapple (the opposite of a rising grapple) and get a bomb cancel. woker does this into a charge shot in this match. something cool if you didnt know irobinhoood :)

KidWithChemicals

Smash Cadet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JYPIdixRIY

i messed up doing 'the hugs' quite a few times throughout, so don't mind me just standing there getting punched in the face for no reason. lol

now i had a big problem with being pressured by the edge. i kept trying to WD past ganon's jab/ftilts and constantly got hit. i tried to WD/walk forward with jab/ftilt on few occasions but that was beat by his for the most part. i see that when i dash attacked it actually would work, but i feel like that isn't safe, and won't be against better ganons. is the best option to WD toward him into shield, so i'm close enough for an Up B OoS?

any other suggestions would be awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG2KGVdWHUM

and this^
i have no idea what i'm doing against fox. someone help please!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Ahh, two MUs I know fairly well.

Ganon:
First off, to your question, it is pretty difficult to get back on-stage on BF if Ganon is just camping the platform above you. Pretty much everything you do can be baired or uaired. Ledgehop wait and uair is your best choice, the uair will more than likely interrupt those aerials if you time it right. Hopefully you don't do that stupid insta-land thing with uair.

I was doing this super long critique thing but got bored and I ended up repeating myself a lot.

You REALLY need to work on your edgeguarding. It isn't bad, per say, but against Ganon you need to either give him 60% or kill him. You only need 3 moves when edgeguarding Ganon: Nair, U-tilt, and Power (Smash) missile. Keep it SUPER simple, wait for him to commit to an option and punish it. You can't get antsy when edgeguaring him because his mix-ups are rather ambiguous. Just wait. If you goes to the ledge, u-tilt. If he goes high, just nair him back out. He doesn't have many options when you are below him and you can definitely hit him for trying to attack you considering Ganon's moves have such high start-up.

In this MU, save your beam for when he is off-stage or when it is 100% guaranteed, like off of a dair or something. There is no point in wasting it preemptively considering how good of a spot it can get you in if you just don't waste it. Also, if you are going for aggressive ledge-pressure (when ganon already has the ledge) and he keeps wavelanding on stage to (insert move) you can just WD back and grab. I know it sounds weird, but if they commit to that option they can't NOT get grabbed. THey will start mixing up with their ledge-jumps, but you can react to either (don't get too aggressive on their ledge jumps, it's difficult)

Fox:

First thing I noticed that you did wrong was go to Yoshi's. That stage is *** for Samus in the MU, probably the worst of the normal legal stages (I would much rather go to PS1). The first thing gameplay wise I saw you do wrong was U-throw at high %'s against him. D-throw F-smash is guaranteed above like...80%. Hell, d-throw at low %s is good since it combos into d-tilt and then you can get a tech-chase or whatever you want. Don't remember offhand what you can get from the d-tilt, but I think you can at least get SH uair. Might be wrong and probably DI dependent.

So yeah, on Yoshi's...don't try to get a missile game against Fox. It is too small for you to even have a chance to get more than one out, and by that time he is point-blank so it isn't really worth it. One of the main reasons it is bad for us.

Again, work on your edgeguarding. You are missing a lot of things that could lead to damage/kills that would definitely turn the game around.

You can't be scared to dash-attack at low %s. It will force him to stay grounded and in shield if you throw it out a few times and then you can start your general pressure game.

But yeah, the main thing is just work on your edgeguards. They are the biggest part of Samus' game and you aren't consistent enough at it.

.tea©

Smash Journeyman
My videos from OSmash #2. The tournament had like 60 entrants.

Results: http://forum.germansmash.de/showthread.php?19183-OSmash-2-Results-amp-Shoutouts

WSF vs Ravenlord: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XU7OBqYqx0
LQF vs Luma: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrRXNJRXvOM (my favourite set, probably because I wasn´t playing a Falco :D)
LSF vs Timi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ1vwPZlljg
LF vs Ravenlord: not uploaded yet

Other matches got recorded via stream as well. http://de.twitch.tv/germansmash/b/327392124
For those who don´t know: Ravenlord won a money match vs Hbox at Apex 2012. :D For now I´ll work on my powershielding quite a lot. Also I still kinda suck at comboing. :D

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
Wow, well done! Not much i can say, your gameplay seems pretty solid to me. A couple things i did see though. Against Ravenlord in WSF you charged your shot while he was respawning, and tried to charge it for too long...and he hit you. You probly already knew that you should've stopped the charge earlier to avoid getting hit, but i thought i'd point it out.

The other thing i saw was during the Shiek match, vs Luma. idk if it's a shiek thing or if it's just based on the person but this shiek (and the shiek i play against) loves to get up from the ledge and immediately throw up her shield. This happened a lot. You can anticipate this and grab them. I noticed this against the shiek i played, and it has helped a lot. Hope it'll help you.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I was using upB oos a lot just not much in that game. I try to stay spaced pretty well. But yes I should definitely upB oos more often.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
yea, thats good. sry, it's probly the hardest MU for me right now so i'm not a lot of help. stupid lasers and that ****ing dair! i like to wavedash back and punish sometimes. run forward and wavedash back can be a decent bait against spacies imo.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
There haven't been any melee tourneys with recording set-ups near me. Sorry :'[
:( why don't they have recording?! i think there are some fairly cheap recording set-ups.... Is the florida scene pretty good? I'm surprised they don't have recording at the tournies.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
There haven't been any melee tourneys with recording set-ups near me. Sorry :'[
I'm actually surprised by this as well. Given someone has a decently running laptop, a dazzle setup shouldn't run anyone any more than $50.

Are you going to any major Atlantic North tournaments in the near future? Everything up here seems to be recorded. ROM 5 in November?

Pluplue

Smash Ace
people are just LAZY AS ****.
Prolly not ROM 5 but I might go to "Da Big House" since peeps are givin me 100 dollars just to show up.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I hope to one day be awarded $100 for my presence at tournaments. I guess that road starts this Saturday at my first tournament post Apex 2012.

Top Bottom