• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video evidence that crouch cancelling is a bad mechanic

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
Tager, Potemkin, Zangief, Tizoc, Baiken, Hakumen, Bowser, Yoshi, I can do this all day.
What move is Zangief punishable on hit?

Also big surprise, ArcSys characters make up half the list. It's almost as if they're totally incompetent at designing fighting games! Oh wait, they are.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
What move is Zangief punishable on hit?

Also big surprise, ArcSys characters make up half the list. It's almost as if they're totally incompetent at designing fighting games! Oh wait, they are.
Nice troll attempt, but all of the better Arcsys games are some of the most balanced fighting games of all time. Not subjective, nor an opinion.

Narpas_sword

Nice troll attempt, but all of the better Arcsys games are some of the most balanced fighting games of all time. Not subjective, nor an opinion.
No, not subjective or an opinion.

it is however a poorly phrased sentence.

"all of the better Arcsys games are some of the most balanced fighting games of all time"

So.
Select from All, just the better ones.
And of those better ones, they are SOME of the most balanced of all time.

40% of the time, it works all of the time!

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
No, not subjective or an opinion.

it is however a poorly phrased sentence.

"all of the better Arcsys games are some of the most balanced fighting games of all time"

So.
Select from All, just the better ones.
And of those better ones, they are SOME of the most balanced of all time.

40% of the time, it works all of the time!
The other 60% of their games aren't fighting games at all, riddled with "family" games and sidescroll shooters / beat 'em ups, and a massive % of their non family sports games are preeeeetty awesome. Soooo what kind of point are you actually trying to make here?

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
Tries to defend the studio brought us Kokonoe about balance, and accuses ME of trolling.

Anyway, where did I ever complain about the balance in ArcSys fighters? I just said they can't competently design fighting games. If "balancing" your game involves pushing out a thousand unnecessary updates with changelogs the length of Atlas Shrugged, you have a problem.

This is obviously very off-topic, so if you want to keep trying to defend this sorry excuse of a studio, you can PM me.

Last edited:

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
By OP's logic, shielding is a bad mechanic. It does the same thing but without you taking any damage.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
By OP's logic, shielding is a bad mechanic. It does the same thing but without you taking any damage.
Except shield stun, the risk of shield break, and being grabbed/tricked make shields fair.

Low perc = hold down forever to get lolhits in. Only a very few moves can take advantage, and a quick DI switch fixes that very quickly. The heavier the character, the more ridiculous crouching is.

I can't hold shield forever and attack at the same time.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Regardless of the fact that this is a situation which will happen very little in competitive play, i do believe it is still an issue because it still could happen.

Sure there is no way that you are going to be CC Link's DAir a majority of the time, but that 1% of the time where you do you shouldn't be able to live through it at those percents.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Except shield stun, the risk of shield break, and being grabbed/tricked make shields fair.

Low perc = hold down forever to get lolhits in. Only a very few moves can take advantage, and a quick DI switch fixes that very quickly. The heavier the character, the more ridiculous crouching is.

I can't hold shield forever and attack at the same time.
You seem to be arguing that shielding is balanced because it has counterplay, as if to imply that CCing doesn't. You can grab a crouching character, you can use attacks that tumble regardless of CC, multihit attacks, space moves such that they can CC but can't punish you anyway, etc. etc..

I don't mind if people dislike CCIng as a mechanic (it's clearly subjective as are many things in games) but the mechanic literally matches Melee 100% and if it's problematic as it is in PM, then it is in Melee as well. Which may very well be.

Last edited:

mochiasta

Smash Rookie
NNID
animicousD
3DS FC
4012-3962-2742
That's only assuming you and him are in a 2D world while performing that test. Hurhur

CC is still a bit too strong in this game. Rather, what can be done revolving around CC.
How would you know? you're just delicious flan

Fortress

Smash Master
Pit can be lame with his super safe attacks, but even he gets punished by CC
PM 3.5 update, I swear to you:

Buffs
"Attacking Pit on his crouch now reflects damage to the attacker and restores a stock to Pit".
"Pit gains a DACUS".
"Pit now has a zAir".
"Pit now has strings tied to his arrows, and can effectively tether back to the stage, strengthening his recovery options."

Nerfs
"Pit's Down Special now has super armor instead of hyper armor. Wowwee."

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Tries to defend the studio brought us Kokonoe about balance, and accuses ME of trolling.

Anyway, where did I ever complain about the balance in ArcSys fighters? I just said they can't competently design fighting games. If "balancing" your game involves pushing out a thousand unnecessary updates with changelogs the length of Atlas Shrugged, you have a problem.

This is obviously very off-topic, so if you want to keep trying to defend this sorry excuse of a studio, you can PM me.
Would you mind trying to explain why there was /very few/ Kokonoes in the top players of EVO? The actual fact of the matter is that this studio produces undeniably better designed games in its genre than anyone else, and for some unknown reason you're just being an edgy teenager about it.

Top Bottom