• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
I'm a bit late as I haven't been here much, but no, I always say "elziiiarr" instead of laser. Other people call me laser though, except Melee players still call me with LzR :awesome:
No offense, but I totally thought it was loser(lozer)......

lol

LinkinHand

Smash Apprentice
btw if somebody mind
Gardex and i played some very entertaining G&w ditos. He's really awesome in techchasing. He placed 13 th in our Tourney beat two Brawler of our PowerRanking, Desti( Snake) and Light (Shiek/MK). I didn't make out of the Pools (baaaaaaaaad) and btw Jebu placed 17th. I really have to work on my Snake MU.....

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
wtf@ G&W's uair not affecting the other G&W if he has his bucket out.

Help I beat Snake, Olimar and Diddy, my worst MUs. What is wrong with me?
The olimar and diddy weren't that impressive though, but the Snake... what did I do???

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Hey I know you guys aren't very active but i recently picked up G&W about a month ago anyways this weekend was the first tourney I used only G&W. I have some vids recorded I was just wondering if you guys could give me some pointers

Results Thread (9/24)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=321091

Vs. Gifts (Snake)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WBd4HiwcHM

Vs. Jawsome (Fox/PT)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mWGMQkuLVo&feature=relmfu

Thanks in advance
one HUGE tip i can give you from actually playing you in our set is you need to space your moves. A lot of the time i was letting you just hit me witj your bair so i could sdi out of t and get a free back air. I havent seen the video yet but when i get home later i could give some other tips since i used to play game and watch wayy back in the day.

:phone:

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
From the vid there were a few things I noticed:

Don't play with grenades unless you can use them better than a snake player can (not likely) they just end up hurting you more than anything. Play with his spacing, keep close enough where he can't get nades out effectively, but far enough that he can't hit you with his tilts. Snake also can kill you at ~90 percent with his utilt, so be careful, no damage to G&W is good damage (unless you get a lot more than they get on you or you kill them, but I think you understand) He may have bucket braking, but he still gets KO'd pretty readily.

Learn your techchase, learn who the Dsmash is guaranteed on, who it never hits, I saw you try to Dsmash every time you grabbed Snake.

Using duck on falco and fox really messes with them, they are often not accustomed to approaching on characters like G&W.

You shouldn't use Dsmash oos, I know it seems good, seeing as it hits on both sides, but quite frankly, it ends up badly more often than not, best thing you can do is just UpB and reset the situation or do a SH aerial.

NEVER roll behind people, G&W has horrible rolls, either roll away (still not recommended) or UpB, which is the best option to every scary situation.

Also, gimping is pretty good, I saw one spot where you literally just had to grab the ledge, not even timed, and you would have killed Ivysaur at ~80%

Don't taunt, just crouch up and down quickly if you must.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
G&W has terrible rolls, its safer just to not roll into their zones (free 10 damage if they react at all) to begin with.

Nothing is wrong with taunting, until you take any damage or you lose a beneficial position, and then everything is wrong with taunting.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Taunting isn't taunting if there's no risk, IMO

That's why I don't taunt after kills, it just looks dumb

My favorite thing to do is taunt after a dthrow on the last stock. I never do it in the middle of the game because that gives them an opportunity to taunt you back and you look like a huge ***hole if they manage to taunt you back. Usually by that time they start teching so they usually wont be able to punish your down taunt (a favorite of mine) and if you kill them soon after it leaves such a salty taste in their mouth that you pulled off that taunt in their face and they couldnt do anything about it.

That's what a taunt should be =)

Sylarius

Smash Ace
GnW's rolls are almost the exact same as Snake's...

GnW's rolls are a lot better than what people think, they're not so bad to the point where you shouldn't even use them.

Also taunting after a kill can (sometimes) leave the opponent salty, fidgety, impatient, etc. I didn't mean use it in the middle of the match, haha.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Gnw has bad rolls, in that his UpB is so many times better than the rolls are, as a starting foot, rolls shouldn't be used when the UpB could be, you are more likely to not take damage and not taking damage is more important than giving damage (unless you are like.. Lucario or Snake)

My point on taunting still remains valid, if they are teching the dthrow and you taunt, you are fine, but Uair pisses them off too (and you don't have to worry about getting hurt)

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
Gnw has bad rolls, in that his UpB is so many times better than the rolls are, as a starting foot, rolls shouldn't be used when the UpB could be, you are more likely to not take damage and not taking damage is more important than giving damage (unless you are like.. Lucario or Snake)

My point on taunting still remains valid, if they are teching the dthrow and you taunt, you are fine, but Uair pisses them off too (and you don't have to worry about getting hurt)
Not to discredit your advice Meow but, I think you are going a little too by the book and that is what Sylarius is trying to argue. Although, in all situations UpB is theoritically better than rolling if you only UpB you will become extremely predictable and the opponent will realize you only up be thus reacting and putting themsleves in a better postion to punish. However, by throwing rolls into the mix although not as safe can pay off if your opponent believes you are going to UpB and reacts accordingly.

Red Halberd wrote an essay a few years ago on this that I am going to dig up and link on here, it should be enlightening

Edit: found it http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=261496

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Generally if you're going to taunt you're doing it just to taunt.

Stylishness 101.

This is basic stuff.

edit: @ above post: yeah Up-B vs marth is terrible... although rolling generally is as well, Up-B is actually probably worse in that matchup and a few others

LinkinHand

Smash Apprentice
@ Gardex i fought Desti later in Friendlies and i always got him on his last stock with high percentages he's just totally agressive if you're patient you shouldn't wonder why you beat him ^^

Rizen

Smash Legend
Even though most character's rolls are bad that doesn't mean they're not the smartest option occasionally. When roll get predictable is when they're dangerous.

My side taunts on wifi are 'BRB' and 'Lag Burn', left, right respectively. When I win with Link I upTaunt because that's his twirl and sheath sword victory animation from Melee and Twilight Princess. Zelda: I downTaunt good lightning kicks (she waves 'bye') and upTaunt Din's Fire KOs (Zelda makes a flame between her hands). Wolf: UpTaunt because howling is awesome. G&W/PT/Ganon: I either up or downTaunt but don't have specific preferences. Others: downTaunt unless I know a better one.

This is the video thread so here's some replays vs Sheik:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXlwEjYaYm4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOT9THxzArg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTnj380_Y0w

Game 2 we get spammy on but if someone will critique 1 or 3 that would be great. Thanks.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I'm not saying that you have to exclusively do your UpB. I actuay have no idea what I was talking about there, I never saw you roll in either game when I just watched them again:p I thought I saw you roll behind them at bad times and get hit. I roll all the time, but you have to know the risk of going behind them, especially someone like snake. I know how it works in the real world, but on the topic of trying to help you improve your game, changing it up is definitely the best way to go. UpB>Roll but Not being predictable > UpB

Still sticking with my taunt opinion.

edit: Rizen, seeing as those are wifi, be prepared to explain what was happening and why people killed themselves and all that good stuff. I'll look at it later.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Why? That's even more pointless.
Because it ends quickly if you need it to, I just don't taunt, I would rather move to a better location than taunt.

Rizen(I want to call you Riven): In your vids, I noticed a lot of fairs, even against their shield. The lag from these often let sheik hit you, so be careful with those. Also when they got to 90 or so health I saw you start fishing for smashes, it's better to keep giving damage and not get hit as much than get an early(ish) kill but take lots of damage. Other than that, it just looked like lag induced errors and stuff like that.

D

Deleted member 189823

I like to get kills earlier than 100% alot. :@
I don't like seeing the opponent survive to high percents as 150% when my character has the potential to kill much earlier and with a reliable kill move in terms of speed and power.

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
I can usually manage to pull off all three taunts without taking damage... it's tricky and not possible on some stages. But at the very least one or two taunts is totally safe. GW's taunts are so so short.

Down taunt is my favorite for sure.

Rizen

Smash Legend
@Meow, thanks for the critique:)
Taunting isn't taunting if there's no risk, IMO

That's why I don't taunt after kills, it just looks dumb

My favorite thing to do is taunt after a dthrow on the last stock. I never do it in the middle of the game because that gives them an opportunity to taunt you back and you look like a huge ***hole if they manage to taunt you back. Usually by that time they start teching so they usually wont be able to punish your down taunt (a favorite of mine) and if you kill them soon after it leaves such a salty taste in their mouth that you pulled off that taunt in their face and they couldnt do anything about it.

That's what a taunt should be =)
Also taunting after a kill can (sometimes) leave the opponent salty, fidgety, impatient, etc. I didn't mean use it in the middle of the match, haha.
Generally if you're going to taunt you're doing it just to taunt.

Stylishness 101.

This is basic stuff.
I taunt after every kill.
My side taunts on wifi are 'BRB' and 'Lag Burn', left, right respectively. When I win with Link I upTaunt because that's his twirl and sheath sword victory animation from Melee and Twilight Princess. Zelda: I downTaunt good lightning kicks (she waves 'bye') and upTaunt Din's Fire KOs (Zelda makes a flame between her hands). Wolf: UpTaunt because howling is awesome. G&W/PT/Ganon: I either up or downTaunt but don't have specific preferences. Others: downTaunt unless I know a better one.
Still sticking with my taunt opinion.
Why? That's even more pointless.
Because it ends quickly if you need it to, I just don't taunt, I would rather move to a better location than taunt.
I can usually manage to pull off all three taunts without taking damage... it's tricky and not possible on some stages. But at the very least one or two taunts is totally safe. GW's taunts are so so short.

Down taunt is my favorite for sure.
Can we drop the taunting debate now? Discussion's fine but it's kinda pointless for a long debate, you know?:facepalm:

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
fullhopped fair is very safe, even on shield most of the time
I saw a lot of shorthopped fairs and sheik was able to get in a move during the lag.

And for the taunting, I am more saying that taunting is cool and all, but use it safely. (unless you are on the way to a 3-stock, then taunt them to their knees)

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
You dd what I said :p you saw an opening and killed them. I saw him just using fsmash on the edge and smashes in hope that they rolled into it.

D

Deleted member 189823

But it sweetspotted and it was Squirtle, so it's ok.

I'm not sure at what percantage it kills MK, but the Up-Smash kills him at ~70% without involving DI of my opponent's part. I don't think he knows it yet, as I was surprised to see him press the jump button when getting knocked out...

How do I teach someone who can't even tell the difference between an Up-Smash and an Up-Tilt?

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Captain PAWNCH.

Oh and it's difficult to tell because it was you with 3 stock and them with 1. If you have any other videos that'd be great, otherwise it might take a while.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, there isn't too much to say from those matches. But you should be more aggressive offstage with G&W, don't be afraid to go offstage with a Fair or something. You missed a lot of opportunities to end a match/stock earlier.

If you want more critique you could always post another video. A crew battle isn't always the best choice for critique.

Top Bottom