• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread

LinkinHand

Smash Apprentice
What about me?
Please guys
in October there's Agon in Neuss Gardex know about this Tourney would be awesome if i also could get some tips especially versus Marth

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
First match your biggest problem seemed to be GnW's biggest downside, which is getting in. D3's ftilt outspaces you, and his aerials aren't half bad either. I'm not really sure what to do in this case, other than try and bait him to approach.

I'd also recommend counterpicking to a stage like RC or Brinstar, if they're legal. (Not sure how D3 does on these stages, so disregard this if he's good there.) Otherwise, go to something like Battlefield for the platforms to help you get in.

Also, second match you had him at +200% and were going for dthrow tech chases, which worked out in the end. Might've been better to go for the throw to kill itself (No idea when throws kill, especially on D3), or just for juggling otherwise

Edit: Turns out his throws basically never kill, even at 300%

LinkinHand

Smash Apprentice
True Story haha
i know this MU pretty well
i always play him
and i really don't know what to do against his f-tilt but to ps it and then grab or something like that
brinstar and rc are banned which is pretty bad but yeah
actually it would be nice if you (or someone else) could also watch the other sets in this playlist

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Honestly I would rather learn an entirely new character than try and do the GnW v Marth matchup, especially with that grab release -> uair nonsense and Dolphin Slash out of shield during your own bair. (I usually go Falco or MK).

At 1:57 in the match vs the Ice Climbers, I would've gone offstage to try and kill Nana with fairs/nairs.

Also, take more advantage of tech chases on platforms. I see you go for the dthrow-jab-follow up, but they usually escape from the jab. It's much easier to just go for the tech chase itself, wait for the rolls and shield getup attacks.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Marth is doable. Icies are not.
Marth is just such a gay MU, but I wouldn't get another character for it imo.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
ICs are the only character that forces gw to switch. However, if you co-main or have strong secondaries there are characters to switch off gw.

However the more I play the gw vs ics match up the less I think I need to switch off.

:phone:

If gw beats ics there is a large skill gap

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Not necessarily skillgap. MU experience matters as well. If the IC has never played a GW before you might as well go and you might do well. I 3 stocked our Olimar with Icies and he counterpicked GW for some reason and I almost lost as I was scared of his moves.
And I'd like to watch those videos, but I'm kinda bad at critiques and the framerate in the video is really bad /johns

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
If the IC can chain grab they still win.

IC players don't really need to learn match-ups just chain grabs. Especially against a character as straight forward as GW. Unless the guy has never seen a GW before in his life he should have won.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
If the person is competent, nana will not be a problem. I have seen IC players PS with with people. With ISSDI GnW vs ICs becomes near impossible assuming they know how to cg GnW, which is very easy.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
Yeah have you guys ever actually played a competent IC?

Nana is under their control too.

Try playing a player like Lain or Roller, then we'll talk

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
The ice block desynced them, and being off stage is a bit of an exception. That's the only place we beat them, but the problem isn't beating them there it's Getting them there.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Wait for them to get in the air, then go in for nairs/bairs (maybe fair but landing lag is just asking to be grabbed).

oh and uair is your new best friend

Rizen

Smash Legend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjBm9Ou1XgU

I dunno, but these IC's at least seemed to be jumping a lot.
...and lost :/ . What music was that in the background?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
If the IC can chain grab they still win.

IC players don't really need to learn match-ups just chain grabs. Especially against a character as straight forward as GW. Unless the guy has never seen a GW before in his life he should have won.
You have no idea how very very wrong you are.

LinkinHand

Smash Apprentice
^this
Crifer wasm able to do the cg
You see that when you look at the first match he took my first stock with one cg i believe
But he didn't knew the MU so good and doesn't play iC's THAT long so this was my chance.
Of course also that he messed up the cg helps out, but when you're creative as a G&W it's doable but very very annoying and you have to concentrate hyper hard, as well as against Olimar.
And for the Marth fact, he's doable Problem is goldenIke is in my Crew and we played maybe a Million times the G&W/Marth MU. So he knows me pretty wlel especially my G&W. Also i'm tooo agressive and dumb and i don't space pretty well but in that MU Fair is definately our best friend and maybe Uair to ge him in the Air and Juggle. Btw that Grabrelease is pretty unknown by MArth-Players my crew-member is the only one who used this aginst me also up b oos but not that unknown as the grabrelease.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I have never had a big problem with the Marth MU. For me all I do is grab a lot it can really give a lot of percentage.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
I have never had a big problem with the Marth MU. For me all I do is grab a lot it can really give a lot of percentage.
If you mean dthrow -> tech chase, it really loses its effectiveness after a few throws, as it stales out to 3%, and even 2% after a while, which equates to a single jab. Not to mention if you don't do it perfectly, he can dolphin slash out of it, which is very bad at high percents.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I always Uthrow Marth anyways. Being above is the worst position for him. If you fail a Dthrow techchase, Marth is again on an advantageous position. Not to mention you have to read him and be almost frameperfect with your punish or you get hit by upB or something.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I'm so bad at Dthrow I pretty much should always Uthrow anyways :(
On Marth though it's really hard to get even a regrab.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
Is there any hope for G&W v. Diddy? /critque me
http://youtu.be/f3tp8rVKtFQ
Its a hard match-up but do-able.

First off you have to be more patient, pick and choose when you attack Diddy. In the first match especially you were just throwing out poorly spaced attacks in an attempt to build any damage. Don't rush this match-up take your time and pick when you go in carefully because Diddy punishes us so hard.

Also, don't use f-tilt ever. In any situation you use f-tilt d-tilt (and most of the time f-smash) is a better option almost all the time.

Also stop trying to land right next to Diddy. Its better to land away from him where he can't punish you as easily. Also landing away gives you the option of when to attack Diddy and properly space your aerials (see point 1)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I think you did pretty well but you should be confident in your ability to use bananas. Don't have the mentality of "since he's diddy he has better item control than I do," just learn to use bananas.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Work on your banana game, pretty crucial for the match up. Also you need to work on your juggles, you would land hits but couldn't really follow up properly and barely got a hit in. You Upb'd in alot of situations where you could have gotten a good nair in for some %. When diddy is above you, especially when you have a banana in your hand, you can control how diddy will land most of the time. Don't chase himmmm, just wait.

and stop doing random fairs lol

edit: work on picking up bananas on the ground too, helps alot.

nekokatsu

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, u have to make good use of bananas, is up to you to figure out your bananas strategies, but in the video u make so many mistakes with them, like the time DD was in the air and u got 1 banana, and u threw it up to him!!!, he just dodge and got the banana back... and that was the worse option...

About IC MU... i played infinite times... and against an IC main, you just cant... long time ago i swtiched to Snake or MK for that MU, sometimes i go MK vs Marth MU too... but i agree that only IC make GW switch... i still try sometimes the IC Mu... but i do that because im masochist xD.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Basically, never throw a banana at Diddy. In the air, you'll get a bit of percent, On the ground maybe a trip. And that's if Diddy doesn't catch it, which literally every Diddy is expecting. It's always better to throw it away from Diddy to some part of the stage where it will be difficult for him to get it back. Even if it doesn't actually do anything to him in terms of tripping, it still limits him to 1 banana for the time being, which is always better than 2.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
learn to glide toss because gw's gt is broken. Really tho learn to use items more than just throwing them away

:phone:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Our glidetoss maybe long but it's still kinda crappy. It's slow and the range is awkward. You won't be able to land it that far away and if you do it closer you slide too far. Diddy and Rob have the perfect glidetosses imo.
Learn to uses the naners smartly. Leave a naner behind Diddy so you can hit his shield and make him slide into it, tripping him and stuff. Don't just throw it at him for no reason or you are basically giving it back to him.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Got some replays for you guyses. They are slightly oldish (about a month and a half ago), I have a lot of replays to upload and there weren't many Gdubs replays in this batch but there's a few. I have some more recent ones but theyre more of Peach and MK and just Gdubs friendlies. I've just been so busy I haven't done anything but sleep and work for like the last month, but anyway...

SmileyFace (You awwready know) vs AirVault (Marth) friendly

Still trying to figure out what I should do if I play him in tourney. I REALLY would not like to lose to him, because I can totally beat him, but it's still too coin flip and we played recently and he kinda worked all my characters. He's good at baiting grabs and reading airdodges but this is just a month old friendly you won't see any of that. You will see me get spiked outta up-b though =/

SmileyFace (Mr.Game&Watch) vs KiraFlax (Metaknight) 1
SmileyFace (Mr.Game&Watch) vs KiraFlax (Metaknight) 2
SmileyFace (Mr.Game&Watch) vs KiraFlax (Metaknight) 3

These are matches we played on my car setup on our way to Cali for Revelations. Warms ups basically. At revelations I didn't make it out of pools. I had Tyrant, MrConCon (the luigi), and a Falco player named Kakarot (who actually turned out to be really good.) I lost to him in both Pools Winners and Losers. I COULD have beat him but... i'd have to be playing extremely well it just probably wasn't gonna happen. Winners matches were close, losers matches 2 stocks. I played him later with my peach went even, though. who'da thunk?

OK time for doubles.
This video is a must watch.

Smiley and Mr.B do Wifi doubles

This video is old. This is Ominous's main training buddy (I think). This was like back in July I went online and we chatting up and felt like doing some doubles so we challenged this pair of really cocky guys talking about how unbeatable they were or whatever. Mr.B is a snake main but i think he's trying to pick up Wario for doubles. Regardless you gotta watch this match it's amazing, very first match we played with these guys after they were talking that big game. This is also me and his first time teaming ever, i just met the guy that night lol

And here is some legit doubles for you guys:

this one is more recent: Smiley and Wafty (Gdubs+Wario) vs K9 and Kira (Rob+MK)

And this is me and kyle ****ing **** up Peach plus Gdubs style

Kyle and Smiley vs Kira and K9

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
Smiley. Please Bucket Brake. A few times you died you would have lived if you bucket braked.

Also against Marth I noticed a few times you seemed to throw out hit boxes or chase him with n-air when it they wouldn't hit him. A couple of the times you did this you where punished. I know your a fast and flashy gdubs but sometimes you need to slow down and not put yourself out there to get hit when you get no advantage from it.

against MK. once again bucket brake, I think you only did it once in three games. Also don't be so anxious to chase Mk off stage. I noticed a couple times you gave up your stage control to chase MK a large distance away from the stage. All this did was get you knocked away from the stage and give MK the stage control. I think it is more beneficial to keep stage control and continue to knock MK away from or off of the stage until he is in a location where you have a high probability of getting the kill.

Basically, don't chase if you can't hit-weigh your options if your potential risk is higher than your potential reward don't do it, some times the best option is to wait.

and,

Bucket Brake

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
^Noted. And these are things I know, I just play really unsafe in friendlies because theyre friendlies. Reecently however my good friend comes to tournies with me and says stuff to remind me to play conservative and It's been doing me well. I get really obsessed with making legit **** happen so I play really stupidly and crazy.

But yeah I dunno, i'm normally on point with my bucket brakes because I have pretty good DI too but not really in those vids.

Thanks for the tips though, they will be considered.

Top Bottom