• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VIDEO UP Waveland/Reverse Moonwalk Advance Technique

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
This looks like one of those things people are going to look back on and laugh like... "Remember when we were going to call landing with momentum an advanced tech?" really it just looks like a basic brawl form of movement.

TheKoopaBros.

Smash Journeyman
This looks interesting, but I'm still unconvinced of its use in a competitive setting yet. I'll be awaiting those videos.

The maneuver does have potential, though.

User33

Smash Journeyman
Whatever, it was named in honour of Einstein. And pretty much every scientific discovery was named after the person who found it (Gay-Lussac's Law, Bohr Ruthford, etc)

reelbigfishstix9

Smash Apprentice
I'snt this "advanced technique" just due to the fact of how the new physics of the game work. Everyone is floatier so they will slide more when reaching the ground. At least thats what i thought while i was playing the game. lol. But hey, maybe I'm wrong

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
For crying out loud though, if I ever want to post about a new technique I found I'll be sure to just call it a new "move" and refrain from using even the simplest name so that 3/4 of my thread doesn't turn into "That's not ADVANCED!! Your name is stupid why would you name it that!!"

I mean really people, who cares.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Looks cool, people on Youtube don't really like it much though, do they?

Then again, Youtube is full of haters and flamers.

paOol

Smash Apprentice
That was a different technique in the video, Marth's bair being used to give sliding momentum. I dunno if he wants to name that, but we both thought it'd be hilarious if my thing was called the CraqWalk. My thing is just jumping forward and sliding backwards, nothing more.
So far I've been humored by everyone's reaction so far. I hope they keep on writing.
i'll humor you as well. from here on until it gets a real name. im calling it the cragf@g.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I don't really see why this is an 'advanced' technique. It's just because of the new physics engine that your momentum affects you after you land. It's much like landing on an incline in the game... you slide down it, but I don't see anyone calling it an advanced technique.

As far as practical application in a match, I don't see the a huge benefit of using this. If your going to use it for baiting someone to open up so that you can punish them, then I think its rather slow and just dashing away and back would work just as good. You should put up a video of it in an actual match.

Just my opinion.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
holy cr@p its the new way to wavedash, does it work with all characters? try it with ice climbers

oh wait nevermind i saw em at the end

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't look all that useful... maybe I'm missing something, but in all actuality, I don't see sliding slowly for a short distance having next to any utility in a real match.

Take a video showing otherwise if you disagree.

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
Kinda conceited to name it after you, but it seems nice if it can work with all the characters. At first I thought it was just Luigi naturally sliding like he does in SMG.

Finch

Smash Lord
I see this as something so pointless that at its very best it can be used to mindgame a level 1 CPU. Also, it's not a technique.

FlyinG ShoosteR

Smash Apprentice
lol this is like me jumping in the game, and then coming here and saying "dude if you push up on the control stick, your character jumps in the air, allowing you to dodge attacks and stuff!" Its not an advance technique, its just how the physics system works. This isn't Melee...people are finding things you couldn't do in Melee, and assuming they are AT. This is a NEW GAME, NEW PHYSICS, NEW GAMEPLAY. Advanced Techs wont pop up for a while, you have to learn how the game works first.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I love how this video is basically doing what you can do in almost every 2D game ever, and some 3D games. I can move backward after jumping forward! ...Who knew!

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
I love how this video is basically doing what you can do in almost every 2D game ever, and some 3D games. I can move backward after jumping forward! ...Who knew!
Good job. You missed the point.

Seriously though, although this tech might be good for spacing, naming it after yourself is just stupid, unless your name happens to be "waveland." Call it what it is and don't be an egotistical ***.

Trespayne

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trespayne
What, you can jump in this game!? Name that the Shooster Jump. I can't believe this breakthrough, upload a video of it immediately so we can use it in tournaments.

Like Shooster said, it's a part of the game physics, and it doesn't even look that great, you're moving so much slower and not as far as a waveland in melee.

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
Even Einstein named an element "Einsteinium"
Scientists named elements in honor of great physicists and chemists when discovering new elements. Einstein wasn't a chemist, but a physicist and mathmatician. In the same way, Wobbling was named in honor of someone who used the technique proficiently in a tournament and completely *****. Tossing around random information like this isn't getting you anywhere, and frankly I do believe I made you look like a ****** with your proposed example.

To iCraq, don't name a discovered physics use to yourself. The Smash community doesn't revolve around your self-satisfaction and gratification.

The technique looks like a VERY slow backwards wavedash, with needed stipulations like changing direction, and taking that extra step. Also in the video, it didn't seem like the IC's rev. slide had much distance at all. ICs had a rather good wavedash in Melee, but their rev. slide looks pretty crappy, seeing as it takes a lot of frames for the technique to work. I'm thinking rev. slide distance is based on weight, and ICs are rather average weight. Marth and Luigi lean towards the lighter scale.

It seems like it would be alot more useful if you would learn to use it with shorthops.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Way too much discussion going on about the naming. Now for the guys saying you can just run away. Are you even getting what this means. The point is not the f-smash at the end it's that you can threaten with a arial but still slide out of range or chose not to attack with a arial. It has a lot of uses and it's basically how we used wavelanding in a lot of cases. It's very nice to have for spacing and add's more depth to attacking and defending. Since you will be shorthopping most of the time in this game and dashing after the short hops instead of dash dancing ( since it doesn't work like it did in melee) this helps for mindgames. Right now most of us are either: Running in with a grab (to grab a shield, running in with a shield ( to shieldgrab) and running in with a attack. Thats basically how we approach right now , in all kind of way's but it comes down to that. Now if this allows you to space away again we can actually move in and out of someone's range very swiftly and smoothly.

I haven't tested this yet but it was the thing I was missing with certain approaches I did were I just wanted to space out of range. I also think this sliding is in the game in more way then just did. Like Luigi basically gets a free wavedash type of slide when he stops his dash.

Now this is what you should be discussing in this thread. Not the **** name of it...

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
All it is is jumping in one direction, and DIing the other mid jump. The sliding is just an effect of the new physics engine. A nice observation, but not really an advanced technique.
No offense to the OP, but I agree completely. This isn't anything new to brawl, just the basic physics. You can do almost the same thing in melee with luigi just that there's less slide to it. Now everyone slides more so they can all do it.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
For god's sake people, it doesn't matter what name he suggested or whether it's an "advanced" technique, or even a technique. If it's just a new game mechanic, what's wrong with discussing a game mechanic?

Luz

Smash Apprentice
Coselm said:
All it is is jumping in one direction, and DIing the other mid jump. The sliding is just an effect of the new physics engine. A nice observation, but not really an advanced technique.
That's basically what a wavedash was, right? Just a jump, then an aerial dodge sideways into the ground. Just the basic physics maintaining a sideways momentum.

And I still don't understand the full significance of this technique. It takes a longer time than a normal wavedash, it is certainly limited to the point where you can't just do it whenever (you have to be facing the opposite way you want to go), and it's so slow that I wonder if just running will be the same. The best argument I heard was from... I think it was Ryuker earlier, who mentioned using it to threaten an aerial attack, and then put space between you and the enemy. But it's pretty obvious it'll only be useful for a certain few characters, mostly light/tractionless ones.

All in all, it'll probably be used only by certain characters, so I don't expect it to be too common (although using it with marth actually looked like it could help, but only in situations without projectiles). Still, I'm interested to test it out a bit in a month.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Let me clarify. I don't mean to use the slide as approach or way to attack. I mean to use this as fake out and spacing tool. If you look at the current matches that are online you see approaching is still very simple. Sure were still learning the characters moves and uses. But it's still fairly simple. For light characters they have more of a ability to go in and out quickly this way basically baiting there opponent with empty short hops or arials. Besides that you can dash out of the slide obviously which means you can alternate sh's, walking into dashing or dash dancing into a airial so on. It's just enhancing these options. I don't know if it will fully work out as I think it will now though. If you have to really move your momentum the opposite way at the start of the jump you can't do it on the spot which means you need to plan it which makes it less usefull but if any momentum gives you some kind of slide it is great for spacing.

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
Craqwalk IS descriptive

Think about it. It's movement -> "walk"

And considering it looks trippy -> "craq"

I say the name works. And good find, TC.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
Here's a use.

Run towards enemy, turn and jump backwards, with a bair or something.

Then craqwalk into an upsmash for a finisher.

Would work well if the air move during the backwards jump lofted them up and back.

Impossibilities

Smash Apprentice
tch it's stupid that people get mad for the name. You discovered it first, you have every right to give it your own, personal name.

Mama

Smash Ace
CraqWalk is pretty gay. Name it what you want it'll just be re named later by the Smashboards. I'll wait to see this implemented in the tournament scene before I make a final judgment on it but if you can't do after an aerial or something it doesn't really seem practical in a real fight. And I'm just gonna stress it again, Craq walk is a stupid name. Maybe if you're name wasn't Craq in the first place you could name it after yourself. But eww.

EDIT : I almost forgot. Sliding after landing is ancient news. The only difference is turning around but that doesn't take a genius to figure out.

higgins

Smash Apprentice
i agree there is going to be names for this flying around the internet for this.I might be wrong but it is most likely.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
Well, that's a glitch for sure.

We were discovering so many no-glitched-techs

This made me sad :(

Edit: And also this makes MArth more broken ever...

Top Bottom