• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Viennese Guy (that's in Austria) sharing his 2 Cents in search of enlightenment

bandi

Smash Cadet
Well, good day/evening.

This is probably in the wrong forum but i'll try nevertheless.

First of all, I'd like to thank this community and especially the PMBR for making this incredible game. It has been a while since I was this captivated by a game like this. The sheer volume of possible tactics, techniques and mind****s is well-nigh endless.
Me and meself loves some "competitive" smash.
I grew up with Nintendo, so to say, and always loved their games. Especially Smash.
That's where my agenda comes into play.

It all began with my friends. They showed up in Vienna to study at the university and didn't have a gamecube/wii at that time. I gave them my Gamecube with 3 Controllers and Melee. We played very casually until I found the "How to" videos from Wak017. I tried to integrate those ATs into my gameplay and tried to convince my friends to use them too. But both of them didn't like the idea of using those techniques. One friend said "**** that, why do I have to learn for a game?" and the other one insisted that he's going to crush me without 'em. Shortly after we dropped melee and the ATs were buried into oblivion, for now.
After a rather lengthy melee hiatus, one of the guys asked me "Ya' know Project M? It's like melee with Brawl graphics and ehanced gameplay" unsuspecting I answered "No". On that day he finally showed me Project M and I was like...

Yes, my mind was blown and no, I'm not the AVGN.

We then started playing with version 2.5 and it was helluva fun. After playing more constantly at their place I tried to incorporate the ATs, again, into my gameplay but didn't really have a main at that time, eventually I didn't even care about them, for now. Well, we played and played and the friend was quite good at that game, even without the ATs.

Until version 3.0 came out. On one lucky evening i randomed Ganondorf, the most evil ************ of 'em all, and face rocked them so hard that their characters dissolved into dark matter. But face rocking wasn't enough, no. My friend always played faster characters,particularly Sonic. I knew that I had to improve and ultimately practiced. Eventually I got down the timing for l-cancelling, shortly after "perfected" SHFFLing and it was just pure fun in doing so with Ganondorf. Gradually I got better. So good, that I'm now able to 3-4 stock them with Ganon. But it wasn't enough for me. I wanted them to learn the ATs too, but they simply refused.

They always persisted that "it's not necessary, It's just a game dude." Asking me, how am I able to have fun with PM whilst playing efficient. They thought it's quite irrational of me and that in doing so I'm not able to have fun when playing. Because it's "work" and I had to spend some time to get to the level where I am. How dare I have positive emotions of something I like...
Well, in the endthey complained to me that I only play Ganon and he is far overpowered (i know in fact that he isn't, but don't tell those guys in the Ganondorf subforum, otherwise... well, you know what is going to happen.). Eventually they stoped playing as much Project M, much to my regret.

I may sound like a soulless douche who didn't let his friends win (well I did, otherwise no PM p***y for me).
Here I am, telling you an uninteresting story whereas I could only ask the following questions:

Are there players in Vienna , and I know this is a longshot, who just like me love advanced smash?

If not, are there other possibilities, besides dolphin, for a guy like me to test how good he actually is?

That's it for now. Please bear in mind that it's really late and English isn't really my first language. If you find any mistakes plz pm me and I'll correct them.

MLGF

Smash Lord
I'd like to inform you that I feel your pain.
My advice is that now that you have advanced techs down, play some different characters with them. You'll likely still win, but it's a lot of fun to experiment.

It got better for me because one of my friends spontaneously got into competitive Smash, actually resurrecting my interest, but it's kinda hard for that to just happen. IIRC, he watched the Smash Documentary and wanted to play with me, as I was notorious for being good at Smash in my friend group.

I advise that you don't look for a scene, but just try to convince your friends to give it a shot and ease them into it. Hopefully one of them will bite. Going to tournaments and such alone is really awkward anyways.

Last edited:

bandi

Smash Cadet
Thank you for your fast reply. Watched the smash documentary too and it was quite awesome.

Honestly, you're right. But you know, this game is just so damn much fun. The only "salvation" guys like us can hope for is, that SSB4 is going to have decent netplay combined with ATs. I know that this isn't going to happen but ya know, you always put some extra effort and thought in matters that you like.

I'd just like the PMBR and community to know, that there are other people besides Americans, Japanese and Kage (he's canadian, that's the joke. But honestly, I love his melee Ganon) that love playing competitive smash :).

Smo

Smash Journeyman
If they don't wanna play competitive Smash, they won't want to learn the ATs.

But the idea that a game should never be ‘work’ is codswallop. Amateur sports players train every week, pro sports players train every day. Chess players spend hours reading up on strategies, memorising entire games and sequences, and drilling games with opponents. Competitive video games also require some level of work to get good at. The nature of competition is that whoever puts in the most work to win the competition will have an edge against those who don't.

bandi

Smash Cadet
Well, that's true. But only having a few friends who are now and then available for a few rounds of smash is just insufficient for me. Playing the game against human players is something incredible I can't describe with words. Yeah, it's so good.
Maybe MLGF was right. But playing PM constantly against CPUs gets quite boring after a while, due to the fact that i can't test my skills and there isn't any mindgame involved at all.
I know that I'm quite good, but it hurts to see all those smash tournaments online whilst thinking "Damn, wish I'd be there."

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
There is a small Wi-fi community if you have good enough wi-fi. Some people there are really good and some people are eh, like me. But yeah, pretty much what they all said. I felt the same before I got on wi-fi and am lucky enough to have wonderful internet. If not, I am not sure. Best of luck!

PS: I didn't find a single spelling or grammer mistake. You are crazy good at this mess we call English.

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
You can motivate your friends into competition but it can be hard. They won't go anywhere if there's no motivation. If they have mains, you can show them high level play of their characters. Seeing how far your character can go beyond what you yourself found can spark a fire in people.

Bazkip

Smash Master
Not sure what you're referring to with that comment about the Ganon subforum, they know he's a bit UP, most of what they talk about is how to improve him.

But anywho, you don't need to use dolphin, just use the WiFi-safe Project M set and you can play online with people from here.

bandi

Smash Cadet
There is a small Wi-fi community if you have good enough wi-fi. Some people there are really good and some people are eh, like me. But yeah, pretty much what they all said. I felt the same before I got on wi-fi and am lucky enough to have wonderful internet. If not, I am not sure. Best of luck!

PS: I didn't find a single spelling or grammer mistake. You are crazy good at this mess we call English.
Well yes, that'd be a great Idea but as far as I know there is no l-cancelling. Hence this isn't really the best option.

You can motivate your friends into competition but it can be hard. They won't go anywhere if there's no motivation. If they have mains, you can show them high level play of their characters. Seeing how far your character can go beyond what you yourself found can spark a fire in people.
Well I tried. One of the friends was trying to incorporate the ATs but I don't think he's going to use them regularly. And the other one doesn't give a wet **** about ATs. I showed them high-level matches and one of them commented rather distrustful about those people who're spending so much time in a game.

Not sure what you're referring to with that comment about the Ganon subforum, they know he's a bit UP, most of what they talk about is how to improve him..
The Ganon subforum is very active, but in most cases it's the talk about changing/buffing Ganandorf and exchanging his neutral B. A lil' bit amateurish if you ask me.

bandi

Smash Cadet
My bad.
"[...] However, for WiFi and replays to function properly, the WiFi-Safe set must be used. The WiFi-Safe set does not differentiate between L/R lightpress and full press or have C-stick bufferin..."
I beg for your pardon.

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
Well I tried. One of the friends was trying to incorporate the ATs but I don't think he's going to use them regularly. And the other one doesn't give a wet **** about ATs. I showed them high-level matches and one of them commented rather distrustful about those people who're spending so much time in a game.
They can't jump straight into AT's. You gotta build people up slowly.

It's fine if they don't want to get better. Just hope they like losing..A LOT. If you're really into trying to get them into it though, keep trying and show them how much depth and mileage you can get out of this game. Sounds like you have an uphill battle though. I'm gonna guess that gaming is not a hobby for your friends.

bandi

Smash Cadet
Blade-Fox thanks for your advice. It's not that gaming isn't one of their hobbies, it's just they don't like to play against me because I constantly use Ganondorf. Somehow I got the "feeling" down for Ganon, just feels like second nature to me. Whilst they're struggling with their characters and always emphasizing how Ganondorf shouldn't be buffed but nerfed.
Nevetheless I'd like to thank this community and particularly in this case gheb_01. He shared a link to the Austrian Smash scene and luckily enough there's a tournament on Saturday =)!
Just shows are willingly people will help you :)!!

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
Yeah, You should totally join in playing some Online matches. It isn't the most efficient way to get constant games but It definately helps when you aren't around anyone else that plays competitively. L-canceling is wonderful and I am so glad it is on Wi-Fi safe. ^o^

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
Blade-Fox thanks for your advice. It's not that gaming isn't one of their hobbies, it's just they don't like to play against me because I constantly use Ganondorf. Somehow I got the "feeling" down for Ganon, just feels like second nature to me. Whilst they're struggling with their characters and always emphasizing how Ganondorf shouldn't be buffed but nerfed.
Nevetheless I'd like to thank this community and particularly in this case gheb_01. He shared a link to the Austrian Smash scene and luckily enough there's a tournament on Saturday =)!
Good luck at the tournament! Should be a moment you won't forget for the rest of your life. :)

Take your friends and have them play friendlies with people. Might get some wins. Have them get advice from various people. Help them with their characters. Give them tips and help them improve. Just try and be nice about it. Some people can take advice personally as an attack on them. Especially after losing a lot.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Glad it worked out for you, haha. I was reading this thread and was going to say dont listen to that dude who said not to look for a local scene, but it looks like you did end up finding one, which is great. I was in the same situation as you and joining my local scene was the best thing I could have done.

bandi

Smash Cadet
Glad it worked out for you, haha. I was reading this thread and was going to say dont listen to that dude who said not to look for a local scene, but it looks like you did end up finding one, which is great. I was in the same situation as you and joining my local scene was the best thing I could have done.
Probably I'm a lil' bit lucky 'cause I live in the capital, others aren't :-/.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
If i could give more advice, if/when you go to the event and you get bodied by better players, just jump right back into the matches. Ask then what you could do to improve and keep mental notes or write down what seemed to work against them and such. Playing people better than you, and really evaluating what happens in the match, is the best way to improve.

Im not saying you should just expect to get bodied, i just think you should take every match, win or lose, as a learning experience to see what works and what you need to change in your play.

bandi

Smash Cadet
I'm expecting to get massacred, but I don't really care. I just have the urge to play against people who're better than me. Besides, I also think there is a slight possiblity that I might perform some awesome magic with Ganon :D. Maybe it's because I'm used to play the bait&punish game. Playing as Ganondorf "gave" me the ability to evaluate players and face rock them so hard, that even their future-self is not able to understand the situation they're in.Nevertheless, thank you for your advice, it's always much appreciated :)!

Guilu

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately there is no magical way to get your friends into the competition, the drive to win and become better is one hard to transmit. I play with a rather large group of people (~20), so we've got enough competitive people to do stuff, but my attempts to get others to start improving their game have not been successful. Trying to force them into it won't do any good; when you play them, just pick an alternate character so that you don't rock them too hard. If they end up getting good and wanting to get better, you can take them to tournaments with you, but until then, just play the game casually.

GL with the Wieners :D

bandi

Smash Cadet
I like your mindset Guilu and that's exactly what I did. I picked up Roy and I got rather decent with him after playing for a while (noob P.O.V. evidently enough).
Maybe I didn't emphasize enough but one of the two friends is now and then trying to improve, but only if we're alone and playing for hours 1on1. It's difficult for him because he's accustomed to not use l-cancel, WD and so on. At that point I have to be honest though - I'm capable of playing noobishly, however after a while I'm plain bored, after "losing" purposely that is.
GL with the Wieners :D
Good luck with yours too, Sir!

Top Bottom