• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Volt Tackle Videos: Replay Archive + Critique Thread

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Yeah, one of the first things Kismet said to me when they showed up in Madison Saturday night was "I really ****ed up Stealth Raptor. Just thought you should know."

Scatz

Smash Champion

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I played him once at MLG 2 years ago and got 3 stocked Falco vs Pikachu. I went MK 2nd game on Rainbow Cruise and got him down to last stock mid percent. I heard Kismet took him to 3rd game recently if I'm not mistaken though. I highly doubt he went Falco though.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I played him once at MLG 2 years ago and got 3 stocked Falco vs Pikachu. I went MK 2nd game on Rainbow Cruise and got him down to last stock mid percent. I heard Kismet took him to 3rd game recently if I'm not mistaken though. I highly doubt he went Falco though.
Unless MK was legal, I'm not sure who else he would have gone. He has a passable Toon Link, but last time I talked to him, he said he thought he could do well against ESAM's Pikachu with Falco.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I 3 and 2 stocked Kismet the only time we've played recently.

Pika vs Falco is horrible, Prime, you just aren't patient enough~

PZ

Smash Lord
Man I love AL their inputs are either many or spot on its just amazing. 4GOD's DI and reflex's mashes too.

Why is pokemon trainer mid tier again? Besides squirtle the rest of him seems lower than bowser or lower than that sense ivysuar might as well be lower than ganon.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
PZ, have you always been in GA? Hinesville's pretty far away from us, so I can understand why I don't see you at tournaments.

EDIT: But Ivysaur isn't that bad. Her fsmash is really good. She has an underrated uair (she can uthrow, and unless you airdodge immediately, she gets an uair on you). Her bullet seed is disjointed, and her tilts are passable, especially in culmination with her jab. She needs a better pressuring move than bair which isn't all that safe and doesn't do much damage. Nair is OK but doesn't have enough range, and her recovery is awful. She also has this awesome down b move that everyone seems to neglect. Watch Reflex vs Ally and note how he goes through two or three full cycles of his pokemon when he gets a favorable stage transition.

PZ

Smash Lord
I am currently at my dad's house a hour away from Raleigh, NC but besides that I am always in GA sometimes close to danville, VA. Also her ftilt and dtilt sometimes doesn't hit on the final hit but the utilt and all your other points are good. HEr recovery though is LITERALLY the worst in the game and I think you mean up B instead of down b. Up b is really good but that sweetspot is hard to land unless your experienced. I did see a Reflex vs Ally match late 2010 but I think Ally had that snake mentality where utilt ***** these kinds of characters. When I get my license soon before summer is over I hope to try a tournament or two but besides that expect a full on wifi player until I travel more through the Air Force or maybe a awesome UTI travel opportunity but as far as I know Savannah Tech or the Air Force is where I am heading after high school.

O sorry for all that "Do not need to be there info" I got kinda chilled ever since I came to my dad's house.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I play Reflex a lot, so I feel like I have some credibility in this matchup.

You were doing well at the beginning because you were using a lot of uairs, which beats pretty much anything Wario has in the air. You messed up on the first stock when you got too antsy for the kill and stopped poking. You didn't need to approach him at all; you could have just mildly poked around him until you landed an utilt or even an ftilt.

Use a lot more pivot grabs against Wario when he approaches from the air (which is pretty much all the time). He can't, or more accurately "won't," punish you for doing it and it is a good way to counter his short hop aerials. If you grab at under about 70%, you can get either a dthrow to buffered nair or a dthrow to usmash if you are having trouble executing the buffered nair.

Don't commit to thunder like you did at about 2:40. If you are going to thunder, do it while he's way up high so he can't punish you.

The main things I would tell any Pikachu about this matchup are:
1) Don't approach Wario because he can't reasonably catch Pikachu.
2) Use lots of short hop uairs, utilt, and pivot grab.
3) Don't force the kill, otherwise you will commit to something that will get you punished.
4) Stay on the ground for the most part to take advantage of Pikachu's run speed.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The other tilts are useful, too. Just make sure you don't stay in place much; otherwise Wario will be able to poke much more safely and confidently.

Captain L

Smash Champion
So good news and bad news.

The good news is that I'm officially 2nd on my region's PR! The bad news is that I'm 2nd on my region's PR.

Captain L :pikachu2: vs Big D :popo:

Game 4 I pretty much gave up and tried to get as many ledge grabs as I could, after the match we checked and I was at like 180. So if you guys have more advice, I know I ask for it a lot about ICs but it'd be appreciated. Game 2 was me trying to be Esam and it totally didn't work, but in the end was kind of beneficial since he couldn't CP me to FD due to DSR and I was free to ban YI. Not that it mattered since I still lost on bf... If you guys think I should actually try to become competent at the ditto I'm open to advice on that.

For those keeping tabs on me, I think I've overcome my fear of olimar since Asa's last visit.

Also since Reflex is in this thread I'll say that T-Block is in my region now and I dropped a game to his PT in pools, but then beat him in losers finals (he went part diddy though). I don't have much PT experience so I was wondering if there's anything I should know about fighting him. I kept getting overwhelmed by squirtle's combos...

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I don't see any of the pokemon as that big of a deal for Pikachu. Ivysaur and Charizard get chaingrabbed, and neither is all that hard to land a grab on. Charizard's mobility is terrible, and he can't really punish Pikachu for pressuring his shield. Squirtle has even less range than we do, and I doubt he has a reliable approach on us if we just stay on the ground. What's he going to do if we just walk away fsmash? Nothing, that's what. We don't have to let Squirtle get close to us at all. Even in the air, I'll bet uair beats everything he has. However, in this matchup, I don't think there's much reason to fight Squirtle in the air at all. Just stay on the ground.

Captain L

Smash Champion
I just use fthrow usmash in the middle of the stage, or dthrow nair at the edges so put him offstage...

but yeah IC advice too

T-block

B2B TST
So good news and bad news.

The good news is that I'm officially 2nd on my region's PR! The bad news is that I'm 2nd on my region's PR.

Captain L :pikachu2: vs Big D :popo:

Game 4 I pretty much gave up and tried to get as many ledge grabs as I could, after the match we checked and I was at like 180. So if you guys have more advice, I know I ask for it a lot about ICs but it'd be appreciated. Game 2 was me trying to be Esam and it totally didn't work, but in the end was kind of beneficial since he couldn't CP me to FD due to DSR and I was free to ban YI. Not that it mattered since I still lost on bf... If you guys think I should actually try to become competent at the ditto I'm open to advice on that.

For those keeping tabs on me, I think I've overcome my fear of olimar since Asa's last visit.

Also since Reflex is in this thread I'll say that T-Block is in my region now and I dropped a game to his PT in pools, but then beat him in losers finals (he went part diddy though). I don't have much PT experience so I was wondering if there's anything I should know about fighting him. I kept getting overwhelmed by squirtle's combos...
you dropped the set in pools bro ;D

just camp harder =(

but you know... the REAL question is how are we going to take down these ICs haha

hai pikas ^^

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I don't know the exact percents, but I know I can get an fthrow cg on Ivysaur. I've done it multiple times.

I need help with the Falco matchup; I have so much trouble with it. I know a lot of Pikachus act like it's a walk in the park, but it isn't for me. That mid range pressure wrecks me on the ground, especially when Kismet mixes it up and sometimes just walks forward and grabs me.

Cam :pikachu2: vs. Kismet :falco:

The last four times I've posted on here for help, no one has responded. I would really appreciate if this isn't time #5.

Captain L

Smash Champion
oh my bad I said game but meant set, I guess there's a pretty big difference :p

yeah ubiquitous block here took me down quite solidly in pools, and then we both got kinda wrecked by Big D

I feel like running in and shield grabbing is an option I never try, how safe is it? Or can he pretty easily spotdodge then punish?

EDIT: For cam

Remember that even though your chain grab is better, falco's is still pretty good. The falco player in your video looks really good so it'll be tough, but if you can manage to get a grab on him it can be a HUGE momentum swing in your favour.

Be really careful about QACing parallel to and just above the stage against falco, his lasers put you in RCO lag if he hits you in it and that REALLY SUCKS.

Just a thing I noticed in game 2, if you get a grab at high percents (100~) in the center of the stage, don't bother with fthrow or bthrow, use dthrow. The positional advantage it gives you is amazing and 9/10 times you can get a read follow-up out of it. If they try to land with an aerial, you can shield and punish. If they air dodge into the ground you can hit them with fsmash for a kill (I get these all the time), and if they double jump away then you can just get under them and **** even harder.

Fighting falco is a very momentum based game, and until you figure it out it's not easy. There's no trick like "don't fish for grabs" that can make the matchup easy, only experience and mu knowledge can really make this feel like the hard counter it is at high levels.

Top Bottom