• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

??? VS. Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wo1f

Smash Apprentice
First of all, somewhat new to Smashboards (Not the game, let me clarify that) so not really sure about whether this is the proper place to put a topic and not sure how the community will respond but from what I've seen and heard, its a pretty **** good community.

Now, my friend has a pretty good Link and I've got a pretty good Marth. Yeah, I main Marth, and proudly. I haven't really played my friend that often but I've also been using a few other characters, Jigglypuff and Sheik to be specific.

I'm just wondering which would be the best match up between Link: Marth, Jigglypuff, or Sheik. Thats also in order of my preferred choice of character and my top 3 in order. Please don't respond with "Marth is your better, so use him" or "Marth is higher tier" or anything like that. I'm just wondering which of these three would be the best choice against Link. Also, please don't say "Use this character" especially not a space animal. Thanks a lot.

Melee, of course.

Darkman.exe213

Smash Apprentice
Sheik has the best matchup against Link. She has a chaingrab, better aerials, and gets in Link's face rather easily. Good recovery is just icing on the cake.

Jigglypuff is the next best, because her aerials completely stuff Link's if spaced properly, and she has no problem gimping Link's already-bad recovery. Link falls somewhat quickly too, so have fun doing all sorts of juggles.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I like to use puff vs really scrubby links because you can punish a lot of things bad link players will do with rest like spin attack, missed grabs, dairs that aren't l-canceled, etc. So which character you use depends on how good your opponent is. Sheik is really good against link though, no matter how good the link is.

Wo1f

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure against other players but were about even on average when I use Marth so I don't know. He has a pretty good Link. When would I use a rest on his spin attack, the frames after he stops? Sounds stupid but wouldn't getting near him without ducking not turn out so good?

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
When he misses with spin attack on the ground, you jump above him and are floating right over his head so in the lag frames after spin attack stops hitting you can get a rest in. Or if you're ducking right next to him you can jump up and get the rest after he stops if you're good. If he misses with spin attack in the air, you can hit him while he's falling helplessly or when he lands, but that's a bit trickier.

SpiderBubble

Smash Cadet
Going in from above seems like the best option when playing Jiggs. I don't think Link's up+b has hitboxes above his head, and if it does, I'd imagine your few invincibility frames from rest would cover them. That's just speculation on my part though.

Sheik and Jiggs have amazing off-stage gimp capabilities, so they would destroy Link off-stage. Get a throw in, throw him off and wave him goodbye. Of course, any character can pretty much do that to Link...

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Going in from above seems like the best option when playing Jiggs. I don't think Link's up+b has hitboxes above his head, and if it does, I'd imagine your few invincibility frames from rest would cover them. That's just speculation on my part though.
I'm not sure if you can do that, I never risk it because there's plenty of time to rest in the cooldown lag, not to mention a bigger, easier to hit target because you don't have to worry about getting into the spin attack's hitbox. The shielding thing works too.

Sheik and Jiggs have amazing off-stage gimp capabilities, so they would destroy Link off-stage. Get a throw in, throw him off and wave him goodbye. Of course, any character can pretty much do that to Link...
Marth also has amazing off the stage gimp capabilities...

Zodiac

Smash Master
well, they all outclass link, jiggs a little more than marth. and sheik the most. Jiggs and marth aren't THAT bad of match ups for link. But sheik is a train wreck.

Wo1f

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot! Wait if you used rest coming from above during the UpB doesnt it have the fastest attack, tied with shine, with only like one frame so its either hit or miss, the invincibility frames come after.

Not sure if this means anything but playing a computer Link on 9 using Jiggs, Links moves outspace Jiggs pretty nicely. Like I said I don't have any human friends who compare except him but he lives far away so I rarely see him.

cjugs

Smash Ace
1. never play lvl 9's 2. sheik and fox are links worst matchups and i'm almost certain a low lvl players link ***** marth. jiggs link has a odd matchup against her if he is good it's weird but link has a little bit better matchup against jigs then most chars. You realize you can't always just counterpick a character who is better at the matchup than other chars especially since link is not that great a character and the matchup can be learned and won with all those characters that's why they are high tier. but if you insist sheik.

ArstNeio

Smash Apprentice
Whenever I play my Link against Jiggs it's just a boring long time of projectile camping with Link. Bombs seem to ruin Jigglypuff's day. Maybe I play against crappy Jiggs players though.

If you play Marth vs. Link just grab a lot. Fthrow->Fthrow->Fsmash, if I recall correctly; can be DI'd but lots of times Link players will DI in instinctively to avoid being thrown off the stage.

Sheik is the best at this matchup though. SO GAY. I hate Sheik. Just dthrow over and over, if he's off the stage throw some needles and he'll get gimped easy. Everything combos into everything else, and fair's angle is nuts for Link's recovery.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
1) if you're getting outspaced by link as jiggs, your opponent is WAY BETTER than you.

2) if you're getting outspaced by lvl 9 links you have a long, long way to go. welcome to serious smash.

Wo1f

Smash Apprentice
1) if you're getting outspaced by link as jiggs, your opponent is WAY BETTER than you.

2) if you're getting outspaced by lvl 9 links you have a long, long way to go. welcome to serious smash.
I would love to do serious smash but like I said, I have nobody to play with since everyone plays XBox or whatever.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I wish i was more familiar with the states...haha.

But you live in Long Island? Thats...near Tristate area right? (Please please correct me if I'm wrong haha). I'm sure you can find a hand full of players in your region if you check out this forum:
---
http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90
---

If you have any other questions or concerns relating to Link or any of your other characters, your best source for answers would probably be in the respective character specific boards ^^
---
http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64
---

Edit: Smashjin...you sneaky sneaky ninja you.

Wo1f, you could always try to get in contact with Smashjin ^^ I'm sure he can get you the hook ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom