• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VS Yoshi

Dr.Big72

Smash Rookie
NNID
doctor_big72
What tactics would be vital to employ against a Yoshi player? I know that movement is always key against an opponent, as yoshi isn't too fast I know i can use that but my opponent was utilizing his subtractive armor and I couldn't adapt in time? Also has his grab range been buffed at all because the distance seemed a little absurd to me? I would be very grateful for any tips and strategies!

Beta_Smash

Banned via Warnings
Luna, Louisiana (15 min drive from West Monroe)
NNID
Se7enSB
@ Ponkapa Ponkapa - Any advice?
Yoshi's movement can be insane, he may be slow but his air movement is ridiculous. If he's utilizing Super Armor don't challenge it, just bait an attack and then punish is my suggestion. Also if you're getting grabbed you're too close to Yoshi, try to utilize dash dancing to force them to grab and then punish.

About the grab range, I recommend that you use Debug Mode while playing as Yoshi and understanding the grab's range and how long it stays out. That's what debug mode is there for.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
I'll make a post talking about the specifics with this MU tomorrow, but for now, I'm tired. I do have this 6-match set (reset GF's) between me and Hamyojo you can watch in the meantime though:

Ponkapa

Smash Cadet
Can't write up a long post right now but you're pretty much right, Beta_Smash. And no, Yoshi's grab range has not been buffed to my knowledge. It's very punishable, if you dash dance out of it's range and short hop over a dash grab you get a free punish. Subtractive armor is a doozy, yes, but (excuse me if you actually recognize this) as soon as Yoshi uses any move out of it, it's gone. Like Beta_Smash said, if you can bait out an attack you're set. Don't try and combo Yoshi unless you're sure it's a true combo - armor will keep that in check. I'll have to watch that video later! Oh, and just a note - always be careful on rolling in after a knockdown ^^

Top Bottom