• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wall cling onto ledge

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
I've done it a few times while on the online-training stage, and on accident in actual matches...but there's a way to cancel the ledge snap and do a wall cling instead. Does anyone know how to do this? While on the training stage, I did my second jump and held down and toward the ledge while facing away, but only pulled it off a few times. I wonder if you can up B into a wall cling next to the ledge to cancel gimping attempts.

Milln

Smash Champion
Hmm... holding down does cancel ledge snap... and i've clung to the spot where you hold to the ledge before..... .... Shall be looked into.

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
If you're talking about ledge drop into wall jump, I know how to do it. You drop from the ledge by pressing down, and then basically do 3/4 of a circle with the joystick towards the ledge. I know, it's kind of hard to explain. I have a video (not uploaded) of it if anyone is interested.

Also, I have found a bunch of other ledge tricks which I might make a video of soon.

Milln

Smash Champion
Nuh, he's talking about instead of ledge snapping, you cling to the area instead.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
I've only been able to do it when someone else is trying to edgegaurd me. Because they're holding onto the edge, Lucario auto-wall clings. But I have seen a level 9 cpu ignore the snap and clings to an edge without anyone else around so I know it's possible

RupeeClock

Smash Ace
Whilst in the wifi waiting room, I did something odd with this actually.

The stage in the waiting room is weird, it seems to be impossible to wall cling to the ledges there.
At least, until I put sandbag on the ledge, how odd.

Steamroll3929

Smash Cadet
I've done this a few times on the training stage. The way i always do it is while facing away from the ledge i jump down, and while relativily close to the ledge i use my second jump. I think you may still have to be in jump animation or something.

Elec Man EXE

Smash Apprentice
A lot of that vid is just clinging below the ledge. You did it a couple times, though. The one on Yoshi's Island was exactly what I've done a couple times by accident. Where half your body is above the ledge and appears to be clinging to thin air.

Never done it out of ES before, though. Usually just by jumping. I've actully done it a couple times when there was no one on the ledge while approaching without ES. Kinda annoying in that case, because you're above "ground level" and you get no invulnerability from a cling, so they can just hit you.

I wonder if its possible to do on more stages than ones with big walls, though. I'm not positive, since I never do it intentionally, but I seem to remember doing it on Smashville. Clinging almost above the ledge, that is.

Milln

Smash Champion
I showed all the ones that I could get it to work on and had a ledge worth grabbing. Every time I showed you can cling to the wall where the person is hanging down, you can cling to the very edge of the stage, I just didn't show it because it was four in the morning and I was lazy.

It's possible to walljump/cling on nearly any hard, vertical surface but it's rather difficult to do. Heck, you can even wall cling on the platform in Target Test 3 that holds the Deku Nut and that thing is about an in-game inch.

Short answer: Possible, yes, but unreliable and very difficult to reproduce.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Keep in mind, in order to wall cling you have to come in at a 180 degree angle (and if it's anything like melee, it'll have a 35 degree safety net, meaning you can be 35 degrees above or below the 180 marks and it'll still cling), otherwise you'll just bounce off. Until we start mastering the ES curve, this will be very impractical in regular matches.

Top Bottom