• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wanna get into commentating...any advice?

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
So I've been followig VGBC and S@X a little and I think being a commentator would be right in my wheelhouse. How do I go about getting started? Thanks in advance :)

Engo

Smash Ace
Know the game well. Know the bread and butter of all the common characters and know at least a rough idea of what each of the most common top tier match ups are like(which includes knowledge of stages). If you don't know at the very LEAST this much you're gonna find your self talking out of your ass real quickly and that's something a lot of people hate.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Learn your scene.
Make sure you have a co-commentator that knows at least as much as you.
Actively choose between color commentary and informative commentary. Doing both is hard.

Eagle Smash

Smash Cadet
Take notes -- literally write down things you hear/see your favorite commentators doing.

Write down match up information for "regular" match ups in your scene -- Do this for both the character match ups and the hooman match ups. When you do this, remember to include stages, maybe past history to accentuate your commentator's insight, and you can also generate "Stories" -- maybe someone in your scene has developed a villain persona or something...

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
Following this thread since I'm curious about getting into the scene for commentary as well, since I've always been a huge fan of good commentary.

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
Know what you're talking about. take notes and pay attention to way are the players are doing and learn from them so people can you learn from you.

Top Bottom