• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

D

Deleted member 189823

How should I apply DACUS to my game? What are it's uses with Wario?

xzx

Smash Lord
To cover up much area on the ground and travel fast on it too (since Wario isn't that fast on the ground, bar the bike and glide tosses, and the DACUS). I use it as an approach + surprise move. It's handy.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I mostly just use it to catch landings. You have to hit with the last couple hits only, as it's otherwise easy to SDI.

xzx

Smash Lord
I have a question: can ZZS grab-release us to foot-stool to d-smash to repeat?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I don't think so. If she was able to get to the ground quicker without lag, she possibly could do it.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Looks like cancelling Down B with Upb, and glitching through the stage

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
It's not canceling down-b with up-b (something you can't even do in the first place). You're using up-b at a certain angle at the bottom of the stage and it makes you go through it. Not sure about the specifics on timing and where you do it exactly though.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Its a smashville glitch, not a ZSS glitch. I wouldn't be surprised if Wario could do this with Bike somehow.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I doubt that Wario could do it with anything but Waft (if that). I think it's the fast speed that you come at the stage, and potentially the specific angle, too.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Bowser gets grabbed and *****. Uair into grab is more devastating

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah it's not new. Dair to Fart is the same at low %'s.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Can someone tell me if wario has any tricks on lucas also break down the mu for me like what i should be doing what to avoid stages and stuff.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
On large characters possibly. A lot of characters after the full Dair damage, you go to Uair them and they go into free fall/can airdodge and move etc.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
There aren't enough Warios these days.

On an unrelated note, face backward when you have a tire in your hands. Z-Dropping is much more threatening that way. Wario Z-Drops tires far behind his character model. I've been tripping people up with this for a little while lately, and I think it might be instrumental in dealing with Meta Knight's anti-air stuff fairly better than we're used to (pretty terribly, that is).

xzx

Smash Lord
There aren't enough Warios these days.

On an unrelated note, face backward when you have a tire in your hands. Z-Dropping is much more threatening that way. Wario Z-Drops tires far behind his character model. I've been tripping people up with this for a little while lately, and I think it might be instrumental in dealing with Meta Knight's anti-air stuff fairly better than we're used to (pretty terribly, that is).
Yeah, I agree. Z-dropping can lead to a waft, right?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Z-Dropping can lead to just about anything with a good read. You just have to make sure they're not in a position to shield the tire, which can be done with a fastfall aerial or Bite. Alternatively, you could land, as even if you get grabbed, and the tire will hit them before they can throw you, and before that happens, you have a chance to do something yourself.

xzx

Smash Lord
If I see someone wanting to shield a tire I often bite them, because they will be hit by the tire anyway! ;)

D

Deleted member 189823

Any tips you can give me on Wario's ground game? I just started using him, and I am pure airgame, and I'd like to mix-up more. I used to do Jab cancels (Jab > Jab, Jab > Grab) but they don't work on a few characters because the Jab is realtively slow.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If they're at mid to high percents, Dash Attack is pretty solid, as most people don't expect anything to come from Wario at such a speed. Same with D-Tilt. Our grab range is pretty threatening, so finding opportunities to throw it out isn't hard, especially when you mix it up with the other moves mentioned here.

Dropping a tire in your general area can also help to keep you from getting grab-released if you whiff and are grabbed for it.

Also, spotdodge is ********. Not necessarily Wario's, but, the option in general. If the opponent whiffs anything but a Jab, you get nice frame advantage to do as you please.

D

Deleted member 189823

Does Dash Attack at those percentages help to get your opponent in the air? I like to Jab cancel to D-Tilt sometimes for that same function and maybe get a an U-Air kill or bait their landing for a possible F-Smash (never thried this one, though).

D

Deleted member 189823

How do you chaingrab with Wario? I want to chaingrab Falco, but by the time I turnaround the opponent escapes.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Here's what the AT thread says--

instructions:
please read the whole post!

[separate from actual technique]
1.dthrow opponent
2.hold shield so that it comes out on earliest frame

Do this a few times so that you see how fast your shield comes out during the throw. To actually buffer a reverse grab, you will need to do it in the last 10 frames (6th of a second) before your shield comes out. Its nasty hard till I teach you some tricks on how to do it XD

Actual Steps
1. dthrow opponent
2. HOLD back on the control stick (i just roll it back after the dthrow, you dont have to do this very speedily since the dthrow animation is pretty long lol).
3. as falco (the hardest one so just work with me here XD) comes into the buffer zone, RELEASE the back that you were holding on the control stick and press the grab button within a short amount of time.
4. AFter waiting a split second (Feels like online latency sorta) wario will turn around and grab the opponent again.

Troubleshooting
Scenario 1: your shield comes up
-This means that you press the grab button too late
Scenario2: Wario turns around without grabbing
-This means that you released back on the control stick at the right time but you pressed the grab button before the buffer frames were active.
Scenario3: Wario grabs behind him, but falco has time to roll away
-Either you are starting too early....(53 is the earliest)....or you are not correctly buffering a grab. Instead you may be buffering just the turnaround then then initiating a grab on one of the opening frames after the dthrow, allowing falco those few pesky frames he needs to get away.

Tips for testing
-This is best to first test in training mode. It works from around 55-84 (i dont remember the exact percentage). If you want the falco to try to get out, put him on lvl 9 and set him to attack. he should b easy to grab haha.
-When testing it in regular mode, I find it easiest to set the handicap for falco at 50 percent. I go to FD, run up and grab falco. Grab attack him twice, and he will break out exactly at 53 percent. Grab him again and begin cging.

Learning the timing
So far I have seen three different ways to easily time the buffer besides just getting it in muscle memory.

-You can watch warios hands. As his fists get smaller and he gets up should be the correct window for a buffer.
-You can watch the opponent. As falco is about 15-20 degrees in relation to the ground (just above it) is about the buffer range. Hes still in his un-DIable animation thing.
-The michael haye method: he apparently listens for the sounds that the throw makes and bases his buffer timing off of that. I can't do this method but it might work for other people.

Hope I helped guys XD.
Here's what I say.

After you start a D-Throw, hold Back (as in, the direction you'll want to face after the D-Throw is over). Toward the end of the animation (you have a 10-frame window to do everything immediately after this parenthesis), let go of Back, press Grab, AND RELEASE GRAB.

If you don't release Grab before the 10-frame window is over, the grab won't be buffered. In order to make sure that happens, some people only press down on the edge of the Z button (so their finger slides off after you apply pressure), because the position of the Z button makes it take longer to press and unpress normally. I personally switch my unused Jump button (X for me) to Grab and press it like a shorthop.

pikmin.org

Smash Apprentice
Apologies if this is already known, but I couldn't find any mention of it anywhere so I thought I'd post:

Wario appears to be able to do a "gatling" combo (just like Falco) i.e. Connect with Dash Attack then immediately U-Smash which takes away the end lag of the dash attack and straight into U-Smash (not a DACUS). It only seems to link at very low percents but it could perhaps be useful? I've just never heard it mentioned before and I was under the assumption that only Falco could do it, but it seems Wario can also.

Top Bottom