• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WARNING: Possible New Edge Guard!!!

The L Man

Smash Cadet
I realllly wish I had a video to show you guys, but here's the scenario.

Me and about 2 friends of mine have been hardcore, training for tournament level fighting in Brawl basically since the game's release. Not really saying a whole lot here, but just so you know, we're pretty skilled at the game and feel we can give some insight. So that said....

It was just another one of our nights, takin turns at 1v1 matches when we decided to play each others characters. It's pretty interesting and insightful seeing your friend trying to mimic your game with your character, but in turn, what they tend to do is make up strategies to compensate with their lack of knowledge for the character. This, is where you may see your main and their capabilities in a whole new light.

To get to the point, I ended up playin Link (my friend's main) and he ended up playing Luigi (my main of course). Since he didn't quite know how hard it can be to land Luigi's UP-B, he was just using it wherever he could and actually hit me a few times at some weird angles. The craziest hit though, made me just stop for a minute when I realized the possibilities of what just happened. We were on Final Destination and as I was returning to the ledge after bein sent a little, he stood on the verrrrrry edge of the stage (I think he may have even been in that stupid balancing on one leg cartoony animation thing) when right as the game was about to initiate my animation to grab the ledge, he annihilated me with the UP-B. I sat the controller on my lap and was like, "Wait... what?" So we stopped the match and just tried to recreate what just happened over and over, and well, it really works. The only thing we found is that the person has to be coming down from an upward angle instead of an angle from underneath the stage.

But seriously, what we found is that when a person is returning to the ledge from an upward angle, just a quarter of a second before they grab the ledge, Luigi's UP-B will destroy them. Now this didn't work necessarily 100% of the time, but we found that it's best to try this attack when the player returning to the ledge is above you, has probably run out of jumps, and probably doesn't want to risk an air dodge wiff of the ledge and miss it completely.

The reason I bring this up to the Luigi community, is because out of every single match I've watched online from the Luigi mains and pros, no one has done this. Maybe I've just never seen them do it, but I can't recall a time seeing it. I also wanted to bring this to the Luigi community because it's just freakin ridiculous and I want us to get stronger.

It was pretty crazy and we recreated it quite a few times... I'm gonna feel really ******** when someone replies to this and says, "Dude, everyone knows this... it's even in the guide... what are you, lost?"

The L Man

Smash Cadet
But how can Luigi defend himself if the recoveree (not a real word...) uses fair or nair?

True. I mean, smart players are probably going to avoid this most every time. It's really something that needs to be in the right place and time when they don't expect it. But even so, a lot of the time when I am returning to the stage and use a fair or nair and my opponent is standing on the ledge, all they have to do is spot doge or just shield and you'll end up missing the ledge grab because you'll be in the middle of an animation. I dunno, this game has some retardedly weird programming in it. I'm just hoping people can see the possibilities of ****** someone's ledge grab animation with that fire punch.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
But how can Luigi defend himself if the recoveree (not a real word...) uses fair or nair?
Alot of characters' fairs and Nairs are too slow to be an effective anti-edgeguard, and if they airdodge, they'll miss the ledge, which isn't good for most characters... So maybe this could have some applications.

It sure is fancy as heck, though. I like it.

crewster

Smash Lord
Nice find. I would try ad test this if my wii worked, I will when it gets fixed. But if anyone can do this aswel try to get a vid out plz
I like dropping down and up-b-ing. I remember, in an online tourny, I anihilated Knubs's (Shadowfirex100's) luigi with a FJP edgegaurd.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
ARe you sure that you just didn't miss the sweetspot of the ledge? Maybe he hit link's sword which is part of his body so it connected (im not really sure on sword thing link mains should be on this). That could just be the random possiblity.

Try testing it with other charcters. And videos please even a crappy qualtiy camera works too =/

crewster

Smash Lord
Did you save the replay? If so ask LuigiKing if you could send it to hm for him to upload.

Delvro

Smash Ace
This sounds like it could be AWESOME as long as the opponent doesn't know about the trick. I think this works because at the frame the hitbox comes out, Luigi's fist is almost touching the ground (they probably did this so that we could hit short characters with the FJP)

On a similar note... the shoryuken is useful for edgeguarding in a different way... against planking characters (except metaknight... he can plank without ever getting in the hitbox of a shoryuken)
Stand on the edge... wait for them to drop the ledge and jump... and BAM! (before they try and use an aerial). Situational, but useful because of the low hitbox of the shoryuken.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
True. I mean, smart players are probably going to avoid this most every time. It's really something that needs to be in the right place and time when they don't expect it. But even so, a lot of the time when I am returning to the stage and use a fair or nair and my opponent is standing on the ledge, all they have to do is spot doge or just shield and you'll end up missing the ledge grab because you'll be in the middle of an animation. I dunno, this game has some retardedly weird programming in it. I'm just hoping people can see the possibilities of ****** someone's ledge grab animation with that fire punch.
That's the only problem I truly see. You might be able to take a match at the best, but if smart players are seeing this all the time, Luigi's metagame won't get much of a boost at all.

Nice find though, I might pull this out against my friends next time ^_^

kigbariom

Smash Lord
You would need to save it for the right time, because one, it can backfire, and you will be vulnerable, and two, if you do it too much it won't work anymore.

Magus420

Smash Master
In my experience people generally space themselves from the edge as they are falling towards it when going for the edge like that. They can usually grab the edge from further away than you could reach off-stage with the up-b by a decent amount. Probably would work best on characters that have really slow horizontal air movement and/or fast vertical movement since they would be falling towards it at a steeper angle and be more likely to pass through your range.

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
What magus said.

and also most people I play against try to recover from below the stage level, so they are less exposed to some edgeguards, so this might work on a whiffed recovery that puts them above the stage, or a person who is forced to recover from above (maybe bad vert recovery chars such as bowser)

The L Man

Smash Cadet
lol is it always that every tech or strat we find, it ALWAYS situational? LMAO.

Haha Yeah I hear ya.

Just as a quick update to my original post, we tried this against quite a few different characters and is seemed to work the same. Pitty that it's rather situational and it seemed more like a fluke than anything, but we consistently got it to work. I guess your opponent just has to be in a really bad place at the wrong time and not expecting it,

The L Man

Smash Cadet
Crap... I actually don't think we even saved the original fight because we found that it was pretty easy to recreate. I'm assuming to upload saved replays to the internet, I'll need an SD card right? I'll see what I can do soon.

crewster

Smash Lord
You can't us a SD card to upload it onto the internet. just send it to luigi king.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
But I still can't send my replays to LK, it authorized me, but maybe not for him, or he ....rejected it <_< >_>

$haDy

Smash Apprentice
Does this work when tether characters are reeling in(i dunno what else to call it)?

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Something really cool I've been doing to edgeguard lately. Its a lot cooler than it sounds.... but space Ftilt with crawldashing around the ledge. Basically walk towards the ledge and back up quickly and ftilt as needed, you can really move around pretty fast. If you don't know exactly what I mean just pretend you're marth spacing Fsmash with wavedashing in melee, its the exact same thing. Combined with fireballs I don't really use too much else for edgeguarding anymore. Ftilt is freaking awesome, I feel like I just discovered it, lol.
:)

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I kind of feel the same way with f-tilt after playing last weekend. I didn't use it for what you said, but I like how its light power can just interrupt a combo or approach for the enemy.
I'm not so good at crawldashing so....

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Sorry though. I can't send replays anymore because Brawl won't turn on so I can't move the to the SD. But thanks for the offer.

Top Bottom