• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wartortle for Squirtle/Bulbasaur for Ivysaur? ..[Discussion]

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
Ok so my friend (who has Brawl) and a few others were having a interesting conversation about the three forms, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard. My friend loves Pokemon Trainer, but he says he wishes that they switched Squirtle with Wartortle and Ivysaur with Bulbasuar. Quite frankly I love it the way it is, but at the same time...it wouldn't have been a bad idea. I mean, Wortortle was pretty cool looking as well. But I suppose they didn't use that form because Squirtle is far more popular/well known.

So does anyone else, for discussion's sake, have any thoughts about it?

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
I think its perfect the way it is but maybe they could have had blastoise, charzard and venasaur that would have been awesome!

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
Blastoise would have been nice! They could have made him like Bowser. Lord knows how venasaur's combat system would opperate. That would be something. lol

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Charizard is a given. He is definitely the coolest, most iconic, and all-around best of the third forms of the original generation starters. In fact, he's probably one of the top ten most recognizable Pokemon out there to people not intimately familiar with the series (or who stopped playing after the first), after Pikachu, Jiggly, and maybe Mewtwo.

Wartortle versus Ivysaur is a bigger toss-up. Neither are especially recognizable, but Ivysaur gives the tether recovery option with allows each of the Pokemon use of one of the new recovery mechanics (Wall Cling for squirtle, tether for bulbasaur, gliding for charizard).

Blastoise/Venusaur/Charizard is a terrible option. Three heavy characters takes away all of the variety of the PT, which is basically the one thing he has going for him. I could see Venusaur having a down B like DK's though. Which would at least be interesting.

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
Yeah, 4 real. I agree...I can't really imagine Venasaur as a brawl character. All it could do is sit there and charge a solar beam. :p

How strange...I would assumed Blastoise to have been the most popular out of the three final forms. Hmm interesting. Nevertheless, I can see why Charizard is more "popular." I swear the fire types get all the glory in all the versions. Heh.

squiser

Smash Apprentice
Yeah it has to be Charizard, no questions asked. Then it comes down to Squirtle vs. Bulbasaur, since Wartortle vs. Ivysaur could go either way, and Squirtle easily wins that one too.

NeoHippie41

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HaikuWarrior
I would've liked to see Wartortle's model cause Wartortle is pretty badass and cooler than Ivy, but I think they made the right call.

What I really wish is that there was an alternate trainer that was Bulbasaur, Charmeleon, and Blastoise. Blastoise would've worked really well based off Bowser and then just change it up a bit. Plus a Charmeleon would look amazing. I also love Bulbasaur.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I would perfer to see Charmeleon over any first gen starters but Char is the only starter how flys and really. . . who else can be the final stage starter?

I would love to see a PT Rival who uses Charmeleon or Blaziken/ Combusken in SSB4. . .could just be a Pokemon Coordinator.

But w/e, thats a long way off (IF it comes. . .). I never really saw what was soo different about Wart. . .looks like Squirt but bigger and with a mole and wing ear things.

Arias

Smash Rookie
I would actually prefer Bulbasaur / Wartortle / Charizard

As people have said; Charizard is a given. Besides, Blastoise and Venusaur are too clunky to operate as interestingly as Charizard does, I think.

Now, why do I prefer Bulba/Wartortle to Squirtle/Ivy?

Well, partly just personal reasons. I just think Wartortle is cool looking, with those wings and tail of his.
However, I also think Wartortle fits the 'speedy' persona a tad better than Squirtle. And I think Ivysaur and Bulbasaur are similar enough that no big changes would have been neccesary.

Though yeah; honestly, it's just superficial differences and flavor. I still love the PT

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
What I really wish is that there was an alternate trainer that was Bulbasaur, Charmeleon, and Blastoise. Blastoise would've worked really well based off Bowser and then just change it up a bit. Plus a Charmeleon would look amazing. I also love Bulbasaur.
Yes that is what i wanted. Blastoise FTW!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think its perfect the way it is but maybe they could have had blastoise, charzard and venasaur that would have been awesome!
Nah, Squirtle and Ivysaur have their own share of awesome, just like Charizard.

And the reason he MADE the choice he did, (choosing Squirtle and Ivy over Blastoise and Venasaur)

Was because he wanted each of the 3 to be a different weight, and have a completely different style of play and have different limitations that PT mainers would have to learn to work with.

He chose, arguably, the most popular starters/starter evolutions of all time. These three, (Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Charizard) are probably more well-known and popular than any of the others.

redshift71388

Smash Apprentice
Nah, Squirtle and Ivysaur have their own share of awesome, just like Charizard.

And the reason he MADE the choice he did, (choosing Squirtle and Ivy over Blastoise and Venasaur)

Was because he wanted each of the 3 to be a different weight, and have a completely different style of play and have different limitations that PT mainers would have to learn to work with.

He chose, arguably, the most popular starters/starter evolutions of all time. These three, (Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Charizard) are probably more well-known and popular than any of the others.
Actually I think Ivysaur is the least popular Pokémon among the nine original starters/evolutions, but for the reason you said, it was really the only choice for giving the Pokémon Trainer's team a varied weight class. Charizard was obvious, eliminating Blastoise and Venusaur. Between Bulbasaur and Squirtle, I think Squirtle is a bit more popular because it was always considered the best game starter. So that simply left the grass family for the middle evolution, i.e. Ivysaur.

festizzio

Smash Champion
Charizard, as previously stated, is very popular. Also he's a badass.
Squirtle is part, no the leader, of the Squirtle Squad. He has sunglasses (although he doesn't wear them) and is a badass.
Charizard is a third form, Squirtle is a first form. Ivysaur is the 2nd form. They couldn't have two 1st or two 3rd forms. Just wouldn't be logical. :) Also I forgot to mention Ivysaur's a badass.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I thought it should have been Blastoise, Venasaur and Charizard. Blastoise would be the quickest, then Venasaur, then Charizard. But, I think this format is more logical. I think that Wartortle would have been a good substitution. My friend likes his "cloud" ears...I think Squirtle was more popular though.

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry. If ivysaur or squirtle aren't the most recognizable, they'll be in like 1 year.

Hark21Ball

Smash Cadet
I think they made the right choice. Wartortle is awesome but I his Family got to choose since they can beat the Bulbasaur and Charmander family with Ice Beam/Surf!!

Darth Wedel

Smash Apprentice
They could've made alt costumes with the different forms i guess..

But then that would mean Charmander would have to have the same physics as Carizard, as well as being much smaller...

I take that back. It wouldn't work at all.

Unless...maybe, before the match, the player could choose one from each "family" to use...

Still, that'd make everything a way slower and stuff...

Nah. it wouldn't work.

Nintendo kept everything simple. That's the best. Squirtle and Charz are better known than their develutions/evelutions, and then the second stage is left for Ivysaur.

Yeah, 4 real. I agree...I can't really imagine Venasaur as a brawl character. All it could do is sit there and charge a solar beam. :p

How strange...I would assumed Blastoise to have been the most popular out of the three final forms. Hmm interesting. Nevertheless, I can see why Charizard is more "popular." I swear the fire types get all the glory in all the versions. Heh.
Generation 1: Fire (Charmander, Charmeleon, Charizard)

Generation 2: Water (Totadile, Crocgnaw, Feraligator)

Generation 3: Water (Mudkip)

Generation: Fire ( Chimchar)

No love for the grass, but Fire has been realisically as popular as the Water.

Also i would prefer Bulba, Wartortle. Wartortle has the greatest facial features, while ulbasaur was cooler than Ivysaur.

EggSucker

Smash Cadet
Canada - Somewhere cold Mains: Yoshi, Pikachu, F
I think also Charizard was really popular in the anime, so was squirtle with the whole squirtle squad thing. Ivysaur had a few anime apparences but wartortle wasn't even in the anime before (or so I think) I think it's a pretty good selection in terms of popularity and skill. Besides Squirtle is pretty fast, I always liked ivysaur better then venasaur, although bulbasaur woulda been awesome.

Either way, I'm happy with what they decided. The first generation was always my favorite generation.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
"Reply to FACHE"

Either way, I'm happy with what they decided. The first generation was always my favorite generation.
Yeah, I'm definitely glad that they stuck with the first generation instead of mixing 'em up. I mean, playing as a Mudkip ~would~ be pretty funny, but in the grand scheme of things I'd rather have a pokemon that I grew up with over one that's mostly a joke.

That said, I wouldn't have seen a problem with them doing an alt costume that's wartortle/bulbasaur, if they kept all the other properties the same, but that's kinda like having a sonic alt costume as shadow - sure, you can pull it off aesthetically, but it doesn't really make sense that they're doing the same moves and whatnot.

DrewMoney

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banditandrew
3DS FC
3540-0555-2542
im happy with the ppl they got....i think there we trying to match the show cause there was more of squirtle and ivysaur and a lot of charizard

Top Bottom