• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Was Sheik supposed to be in Twilight Princess?

ratizi

Smash Cadet
Masahiro Sakurai said:
Sheik doesn’t appear in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, but we based her model on a design that was drafted up during the development of that game.
So when they were developing TP they made a sheik that was never used? Or am I interpreting it incorrectly?

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Well, that's how I interpreted it, and it is kind of straightforward. So yeah, I suppose Sheik was going to be in TP at some point. I'm glad she wasn't though, I don't see how that fits.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
that's the point... sheik was probably considered during develpoment.... it's obvous TP is trying to be the next OoT (which it might just be) and they thought that maybe they could keep a beloved character, but they weant a different dirrection, it doesn't mean that they would get rid of her concept art

blueriku

Smash Journeyman
yeah actually she was going to be in tp but they decided not to because of the story it would be hard hard to explain sheik reasoning in tp so they scraped the idea this at least thats what im assuming

hungrybum

Smash Journeyman
she was in the first plot, but they changed it all (resulting in delays)

Siegfried

Smash Cadet
Nintendo's policy with perfecting gameplay means that story usually takes a secondary role in creating games. I read that Midna was only added because Miyamoto thought that a solidary wolf wouldn't look fun to play (and thus added a rider). Shiek was probably just one of the many secondary characters scrapped while they were making new drafts for the game.

Pokec

Smash Journeyman
it woulda been cool if she were.

I remember playing the game, and Zelda telling us that there was someone she met in a far off village. I got so excited because I thought it woulda been Sheik (basically, Zelda running there to me you).....and then was really really disappointed with there being that ugly, wrinkly piece of **** Impaz.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
It was the Wolf, Twilight, and lack of freedom in Hyrule Field that ruined some pretty big parts of the game.

They should make an Ocarina Of Time DX for the Wii. Yes, the Wii. The DS would make it keep the same graphics, and wouldn't be able to expand the game. It would rely on the sucky stylus controls too, like in Phantom Hourglass.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
It was the Wolf, Twilight, and lack of freedom in Hyrule Field that ruined some pretty big parts of the game.

They should make an Ocarina Of Time DX for the Wii. Yes, the Wii. The DS would make it keep the same graphics, and wouldn't be able to expand the game. It would rely on the sucky stylus controls too, like in Phantom Hourglass.
Um. We already have that. It's called "Twilight Princess". Don't you think it would be redundant to rerelease OoT now that we have TP?

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964

I honestly don't see why people want to re-make OOT. Why ruin a classic? OOT is a great game in its own right, leave it at peace.
The Zelda series needs to be pushed forward, and stop living in OOT's shadow. They really need to stop using OOT as a template for ALMOST every recent Zelda game. Twilight Princess would have been a lot better in my mind had they kept the master sword and Ganon out of it. It seemed like such a last minute addition.
" Hm, This doesn't seem enough like OOT. Right, let's randomly throw in a reason for Link to find the legendary sword, and let's make Ganon pop out of nowhere at the end of the game. OOT re-hash complete!"
Zant could have had a lot of promise as a villain had they not ruined him at the end of the game.

Honestly, for the next Wii Zelda I hope Ganon takes a break from the series. I love Ganon. He's my favourite Zelda villain, but his role is becoming redundant. let the audience forget about Ganon for a little while, and in maybe 4 games time bring him back with a bang, that would a lot more effective than " Oh, look it's Ganon. I obviously didn't expect him to just pop up"
No master sword, or Ganon for next Wii Zelda!
*ahem* rant over =D

suzuki brawl

Smash Journeyman
no zelda ocarina of time was a big exemple and that's why the game has to been based in it

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
no zelda ocarina of time was a big exemple and that's why the game has to been based in it
It's a great game, but there's no need to re-hash it constantly. A lot of Zelda players would like a NEW 3-D game not just an OOT re-hash to please OOT fanboys.

blueriku

Smash Journeyman
It's a great game, but there's no need to re-hash it constantly. A lot of Zelda players would like a NEW 3-D game not just an OOT re-hash to please OOT fanboys.
i agree with you but my views on TP differ for one it answered questions that OOT gave of unanswered like what happens to kid links time line but its wierd since there were things left out like different races (the kokiri and gerudo for example) i think they should of either devoted it to be a sequel rather than sequel/new game/different zelda twist(wolf link) either that or done something completely different thats not related to OOT

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
i agree with you but my views on TP differ for one it answered questions that OOT gave of unanswered like what happens to kid links time line but its wierd since there were things left out like different races (the kokiri and gerudo for example) i think they should of either devoted it to be a sequel rather than sequel/new game/different zelda twist(wolf link) either that or done something completely different thats not related to OOT
The two games time lines or continuity are not in any way related. It really is just a retelling of the same story with a slightly different story approach, character focus and style. There are gaps left unexplored that you could simply guess based on OoT, but overall the game would've been much more memorable to me personally if I had never played OoT in the first place.

I largely agree with Soluble Toast. Besides floating around too many masses of water, I probably preferred Wind Waker, partially for how it tries to be different to OoT, partially how it pays respect to OoTs story, instead of feeling like it ripped it off.

S2

Smash Lord
I was always dissapointed in the lack of Zelda in general during TP.

She's a great character and they didn't use her much. So yeah, there was no sheik but there wasn't much of Zelda either.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes. Sakurai even said that they made a design for her to be in TP way before it came out, but they through that idea out. Thats why she was put into Brawl, because they wanted to see their creation put to good use.

S2

Smash Lord
Yeah, the model was just sitting around evidently. Nice that we finally got to see it.

The ponytail is way freaking bad#$$.

Luthien

Smash Ace
D***. That would've been awesome. TP was fine on it's own, but now that I think they were going to put Sheik in...

...why?! Why would you take Sheik out? Seriously. Sheik had BODY ARMOUR and a PONYTAIL. It cannot get cooler... when compared to skin-tight rubber, at any rate.

Oh, well. The game was still bad-***. I guess we'll just have to hope for the next Zelda game to fix this horrible and tragic mistake.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
D***. That would've been awesome. TP was fine on it's own, but now that I think they were going to put Sheik in...

...why?! Why would you take Sheik out? Seriously. Sheik had BODY ARMOUR and a PONYTAIL. It cannot get cooler... when compared to skin-tight rubber, at any rate.

Oh, well. The game was still bad-***. I guess we'll just have to hope for the next Zelda game to fix this horrible and tragic mistake.
Indeed. I don't particularly like Sheik in Smash games, but I love what she did for Zelda's character in OOT. Zelda could have really benefited from her in TP.
I love to think that Sheik is who Zelda really is under the dress, and Sheik is Zelda stripping the royalty and getting to her Tom-boy roots.

Oh well, one can hope that Zelda recieves an alter-ego in the next game xP

draigaran

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Sheik looked freaking sweet. While I lament that she was not in TP (which I think was fine on its own right, OoT rip-off or not), I'm glad that her new model makes an appearance in Brawl :D

S2

Smash Lord
Let's hope Sheik makes appearances in further Zelda games. She really should be a main returning staple.

Cause everyone loves the character, it makes no sense not to keep using her when lots of characters continually come back.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's my hope too. It will be nice to see her come back, maybe even have a side quest adventure or 2 player option in Zelda. That would make ME happy! ^_^

Link Lord

Smash Journeyman
In a place where people are tortured endlessly and
So when they were developing TP they made a sheik that was never used? Or am I interpreting it incorrectly?
No, that's right. If I'm not mistaken, in RPGs such as TP, the developers sometimes draft characters for one of the storyboards that doesn't appear on another. If the storyboard without said character is chosen to be the true storyline, the character is (obviously) not in the finished game, but WAS drafted up.

Does that clear this situation up?

Directed to sugarpoultry:

...Well this is awkward.
Nice sig BTW.

Zodiac

Smash Master
that kind of stuff happens all the time during game dev, you get an idea, and either for the sake of the story or logistic reasons the idea is thrown out.

S2

Smash Lord
Yeah, there is a whole history of famous games being changed drastically before the final release.

Look up Zelda 64 (what became OOT), they scrapped and remade that project twice before settling on the final build. Literally, scrapped. Not minor changes. You can find screenshots of a game that was Zelda 64, but is not anything of what was in the final product.

Other notable (non-Zelda) game is Mario World. Check out its beta stuff, very strange. I could name off a whole list of these, but I'll leave it at these 2... since info is pretty accessible on both of them.

Rikuo

Smash Cadet
I'm glad Sheik got scrapped in TP. Part of what made Sheik work so well in OoT was the mystery behind the character. Now that we all know who Sheik is, its not quite the same. Sheik's new feminine features are there since there is no more secret to her identity. It's not a very good disguise, anymore.

It takes away from Zelda's character big time when she is expected to turn ninja in every game. Zelda's emphasis should always be Wisdom and magic, since that is the power granted to her by the Goddesses, not leet ninja skills. Sheik was great as a one time character, but I think its better to leave it at that. Its not called the Legend of Sheik.

That's my hope too. It will be nice to see her come back, maybe even have a side quest adventure or 2 player option in Zelda. That would make ME happy! ^_^
I would absolutely love for Zelda to be playable in a future game. Princess Peach has been playable in several Mario games, so it would be great to see Zelda in a more active role. I wouldn't like it if the entire time Zelda was playable, you had to be Sheik. If you had a mix of both... I could live with that.

Top Bottom