• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedashing out of shield: Which buttons do you use?

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I know there are several ways to WD out of shield and I can do it I'm asking this out of curiousity... Do most people use both triggers when they do this or just one?

Wangster

Smash Apprentice
i shield w/ da R button but wen i want to wavedash i hold L (while holding R) , let go of R (while holding L) and wavedash right away

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I shield with R, but I also wave-dash with the R-Button. So when I wave-dashing out of a shield, I either shield with L or switch from R to L so I can wave-dash.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
you could say I'm a noob, or doing it the tough way, but I just do R>up on control stick>R. I almost never use L or Y, and I'll do X for shorthops but that's it. using just one isn't hard, it takes considerably less timing then the SHFFls and SHL I do on a regular basis.

Binx

Smash Master
I shield with L, release it and jump with x at the same time, then I use L again to wavedash, that's how I learned it and it works fine, I don't slow down or anything so whatever, although I'm sure I could be easier on my hands if I really tried.

Rat

Smash Lord
The right one
Which would be L (used for Shielding too)

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I use R for my my shielding needs, and L for most of my wavedashing needs, it's simple and always works for me without any fail. VERY EFFECTIVE.

Oracle

Smash Master
I use r for shields, but I rarely WD out of shield unless I'm being attacked, so I'll just switch fingers over to L and wd normally.

soap

Smash Hero
i tried using two but its confusing using two buttons that have the same function.

so u shield and wavedash with different buttons, which one do use to airdodge, or triangle jump. it just messes u up, ull have quicker reaction with one button.

L fo everything

DrewB008

Smash Lord
i wd with r and do everything else with l actually, but i know that the way i posted earlier is the way people have told me they do it. but yeah dont try to switch to use l for shielding at different times, use the same buttons for the same things always, but it doesnt have to always be the same button

joeplicate

Smash Master
shield, waveland, L-cancel with L

wavedash with R and Y
it's pretty nice because you don't have to coordinate the timing between your two different hands to wavedash

plus WDing out of shield is a breeze

DRD

Smash Lord
I don't know how you guys use L. Actually I just recently realized that I haven't been L-canceling, I've been R-canceling.

I shield with R, wavedash with R, R-cancel with R

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I tried just using one button but it was too complicated lol got killed too many times
I try using just one button, and because if it I killed Sybawave many times...lol

Seriously, I use R to shield and just release it before wavedashing out of shield with R. I acknowledge that shielding with L would yield better results, but it's too hard to get used to it.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I use just L. I just lightly push it for the shield, and then click it all the way in for the wavedash. I tried using R to shield when I know I plan on waveshielding, but I need to be able to do it anytime. L works just fine.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
I don't know how you guys use L. Actually I just recently realized that I haven't been L-canceling, I've been R-canceling.

I shield with R, wavedash with R, R-cancel with R
yah, I find the L is awkward because it's with my left hand. it'd not like I use anything else with my right pointer, anyway. It's all about the thumbs baby! I use control pad instead of buttons because my left thumb doesn't do anything otherwise (besides DI and fastfall), but for shorthopping I use X. X is better, in my opinion, because it's easy to flick it towards the right.

DRD

Smash Lord
yah, I find the L is awkward because it's with my left hand. it'd not like I use anything else with my right pointer, anyway. It's all about the thumbs baby! I use control pad instead of buttons because my left thumb doesn't do anything otherwise (besides DI and fastfall), but for shorthopping I use X. X is better, in my opinion, because it's easy to flick it towards the right.
I might have to try x for shorthop; but I expect the same thing will happen, I'll give up because it doesn't feel right

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I hold L, then wavedash with X+R. I use X+R to wavedash normally, so it isn't really complicated. I just hold down L while I'm wavedashing instead.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
yah you really don't need to be that fast to wavedash ou of shield with the same button. Learn SHFFLing and SHL and this will be nothing compared to it. I just find it simpler to do everything with the control pad and R.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i've been trying to reprogram my muscle memory to use R for shielding so i can WD oos more effieciently because using only L for both is tough. but its a real ***** to reprogram 5+ years of muscle memory :/

Top Bottom