• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

wavedashing out of shield.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
I use the search function and was unable to find the proper string.Can someone explain to me the proper way to wavedash out of a shield.I do it in matches but I feel like im not doing it right or fast enough its something I have put to the side that I want to do today in our tournament before I go.

SHDW23

Smash Journeyman
you may want to specify what you mean by "the right way." for doing it fast or "properly" you really just need quick fingers and/or good coordination between your left and right hands, etc. wavedashing out of shield is theoretically exactly the same as a normal wavedash, but you have to be careful that you jump before tilting the control stick, otherwise you get a roll or sidestep. if you get that down, the rest is the same.

enza99

Smash Rookie
like shdw said be careful that you jump before tilting the control stick...

but uhh i think all there is to it is hmm well for me i think itd be easier if u switched ur shielding to L then wavedashed out of it using R or the other way around which ever works for u

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
You can do it either by shielding and wavedashing with different triggers, or by shielding, jumping, letting go of the shield then airdodging.

Either works. I use the second and it works fine for me.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
yeah i use that way too elven...easier than learnign to use a different button

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
You can do it either by shielding and wavedashing with different triggers, or by shielding, jumping, letting go of the shield then airdodging.

How far do you let go of the button? completely or just the "clicking" part?
Also, are you able to let go and click again fast enough for chars with really fast jumps like fox and pika?
(wondering cuz I have problems wd:ing oos sometimes)

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Well you have to let go enough so that you can click it, otherwise you won't be able to airdodge. Generally speaking, it's not a problem for me anyway, because I almost never full shield, as that could possibly cause you to miss techs.

So if you do it that way, fast jump characters aren't a problem. I main Fox and Marth and can wavedash out of shield that way with both.

SHDW23

Smash Journeyman
you also don't have to press L/R all the way down to get a regular shield (which is what elven was talking about) so theoretically you could wavedash out of shield using just L or just R without ever "letting go" at all. in other words, if you shield without pressing L/R all the way down, you can wavedash out of shield by jumping, then pressing L/R the rest of the way in. i sometimes use that method, but it's a little fickle, you have to be really careful about how far you depress the buttons.

IrArby

Smash Ace
I've asked Cactuar before and thats what he does since I think his R/L triggers (one or both) have the spring removed or something like that so its lightshield until you press it all the way down. Mine is almost like that since its broken in so much.

I however have adapted to WDing with R and using the L trigger to shield most of the time now and I use it lightly almost always since Lightshield is almost always better : slides more pushing you away from Dair Shining Falcos, lasts longer, covers more of your body etc.

If your doing a waveshield forward out of a run just keep holding forward and shift the stick down when you wanna wavedash out. But, if you're going backwards from a foward run or from a stationary shield, you gotta time the jump right or let go of your shield early which leaves you vulnerable.

My method isn't neccesarily the best method for you but its worth a try I think. It carrys over nicely for doing Shai dropping on platforms since you can Lag Cancel an aerial with R and lightly hold L to Lightshield plaform camp and/or Shai drop. Learning to do both of these has really open up my out of shield game so I don't get caught and grabbed so much.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Wait... explain how it helps the Shai drop again? It seems like you could L-cancel with the same button you shield with, since all you have to do is press it down more than it was pressed down before...

IrArby

Smash Ace
I use both techniques fairly interchangeably since I learned them around the same time. Using Ltrigger lightshield you can immediately go into a lightshield after an aerial. Being able to waveshield out of this is obviously a good thing.

Say you want to Wavesheild and you're landing on a plaform. You'll want DI forward before hitting the ground. If you lag cancel with R and hold L lightly before landing you'll land in a lightshield after your aerial lag. From there, your control stick is already pointing horizontally foward which makes the move down 45% or so very easy. This is around the same angle you would need for a wavedash or a Shai drop.

Thus you can wavedash normally and not have to worry about inputting you direction for the dodge in the small space after jumping but before leaving the ground. This works landing on platforms or the stage or even if you were running foward and hit the Ltrigger light shielding and waveshielding fowards. It gives you alot of options on platforms.

Its really good for Marth who is vulneralbe on platforms since now landing in a lightshield you can do an aerial to cover you landing, block an attack from your opponent and waveshield OR Shai drop out of it easily. If you Shai drop, a falling Uair is an obvious choice that leads into Uptilts and Fsmashes on stages like Yoshi's Story or Battlefield.

So in summary, hold left or right on the control stick plus L(lightly) before landing and cancel your aerial lag with R as you would normally. You're now set up perfectly to Waveshield or Shai Drop in that direction. Plus you've still got your normal options to grab or jump (or Up B). Using one button to shield and one to Lag Cancel makes things easier IMO.

Some credit should go to Shai for this post also not only for the technique Shai dropping obviously but him and I discussed this earlier in his Shai Dropping thread though he suggested holding Z while canceling your lag to lightshield. However, thats only an option if your landing from an aerial. Holding L(lightly) works while running and its easier for me than Shielding/WD with one trigger.

SHDW23

Smash Journeyman
powershielding occurs when you fully depress L/R within a couple frames prior to being hit

IrArby

Smash Ace
Wow I definitly thought it was less than four frames. Just when I started thinking I had good timing when I could occasionally reflect a few lasers I find out its not exactly what you'd call impressive.

Uck

Smash Journeyman

Learned both ways I thank you and everyone else who posted. :)

HowdYdoo

Smash Cadet
The different ways are just all preferences right?
Also is there a way to turn around while doing this? eg. Falco SHBing you, you miss the pshield, but your back is to him.
Can you wd out of shield then face him? Pivot? Is it possible?

Havokbringer

Smash Lord
You would either wavedash into him /past the Falco in order to face them or away then near the end of your slide face/pivot towards the Falco.

Or you could just jump out of shield then bair and that will also turn you around in the air.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
It's mostly preference, yeah. You can turn after the wavedash... but there's no way to turn in shield, if that's what you're asking.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
lol think about like...being able to turn in a shield...then be able to shield grab...and ****.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Lets hack it in! Brawls doing it and that game is really taking off!!!!! Sarcasm sorry couldn't resist
I wanna turn in shield the way Silent Wolf turns in the shine a waveshines back and forth. Very cool.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
If I ever bother to learn that turning waveshine thing, that's how I'm going to waveshine Falcons. So cool.

IrArby

Smash Ace
elvenarrow3000: just out of curiosity/boredom do you play much Fox? I pick him up to keep my tech skill in shape but I feel so naked playing as a character without a big sword or laser that actually stuns. My Falcon is similarly bad like my Fox probably for similar reasons.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Yeah, I main Marth and Fox. Fox mainly for Sheik and non-neutral stages.

I like him a lot, actually. I don't go on Fox boards much though.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Yea I noticed your every where else but the Fox boards. Although I really don't go there much either. I spend like half an hour just warming up and getting his techs down (I've got bad circulation *nerdy thing to say*) so I can't see myself playing him much in tournaments.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Well really, most of the multishines and whatever else aren't that useful. Shinegrabs and waveshines are probably the most useful Fox techs...

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
id test this but i left my control at a friends house, is it possible to shield with l then hold r and wavedash wavedash with l?

IrArby

Smash Ace
Yes, I think so but why not just learn to shield with R. I'm currently doing the opposite (shield with L, WD with R)

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
because then i cant just use l to cancel into shield this way i can react to whatever just by pressing r and wavedashing seems simple.

IrArby

Smash Ace
You mean, Aerial cancel with L, hold R to pull up your shield, and wavedash out with L? Give me an example of in-matchu-use. I'm currently confused. What I sometimes do is Aerial cancle with R and hold L (lightly) to shield immediately after. Then I can wavedash with R out of shield. If you shield with the opposite side that you do everything else (wavedash/lag cancel) you can pretty much do whatever you want anytime no switching.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
You mean, Aerial cancel with L, hold R to pull up your shield, and wavedash out with L? Give me an example of in-matchu-use. I'm currently confused. What I sometimes do is Aerial cancle with R and hold L (lightly) to shield immediately after. Then I can wavedash with R out of shield. If you shield with the opposite side that you do everything else (wavedash/lag cancel) you can pretty much do whatever you want anytime no switching.
ok example a fox dash attacks you and they always like to finish it so they cant be grabbed i.e just behind you, you then just change ur shielding to r and wavedash with l, i havent actually tried it ofcourse but thats the sorta situation i was thinking of.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
thanks elven i gotta give props to you, the whole time on the boards and on my critique threads and stuff, you seem to give the most useful and helpful advice, you should get some sort of upgrade on ur rank thing.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
thanks elven i gotta give props to you, the whole time on the boards and on my critique threads and stuff, you seem to give the most useful and helpful advice, you should get some sort of upgrade on ur rank thing.
Ah elven, getting along in teh props. This is a far cry from "elevenarrow" back in the day!

Ndot

Smash Journeyman
Arc, I haven't seen you post here for awhile now. I thought you quit, or did you? Where have you been?
I was thinking of asking you to critique some vids for me awhile back, but you dissapeared. lol

Edit: cool, 300 posts lol.

Top Bottom