• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedashing won't be in the game for one good reason

PimpUigi

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's not in the instruction manual.
If it was meant to be in the game, it would be in the instruction manual.

Just like wavedashing in Soul Calibur 2, or Reptile in Mortal Kombat 1
They were both in the instruction manual.

And so was every single fatality in Mortal Kombat Trilogy.

Instruction manuals used to be what you read before you played the game, and you would have found out about these many things that people considered "surprises" or, "advanced techniques."

Like guard cancelling in Marvel vs. Capcom 2, combos in the original Street Fighter 2, or reversals in Street Fighter 2. They were all in the instruction manual.

After all, the game developers knew people would have to know how to do these things to compete.
They needed to make sure that every six year old playing the game would be able to do their advanced techniques their first try.

They needed to be sure, so they put every piece of info in the game in the instruction manual.

/sarcasm off

PS, does this mean Reptile is a glitch??????

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
why do we have so many stupid wavedahsing threads, make one offical wavedashing in brawl thread, sticky it, and post your comments about it there, stop making a thread for every little idea that pops into yous guys heads when it comes to wavedashing in brawl

komickid

Smash Apprentice
maybe it will be in the game being in the instruction manual. not like they're using the same instruction booklet for every game.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
L-canceling isn't in the instruction manual but was purposely taken from Melee (for those who actually agree with the TC's sarcasm).

Superstar

Smash Champion
Pimpuigi? You have the same name as the Luigi player I've heard of. I should see some of your match vids. :laugh: I felt Luigi had too little forward Aerial thrust, but his combo ability seems to be pretty decent, what a coincedence that I tried Luigi out today.

Yeah, you raise a very good point, I mean, Pichu wasn't in the instruction manual, so HE is a glitch [I very well believe he IS a glitch, I will prove it somehow...]. But yeah, well lived sarcasm.

Well, here is the truth you tourneytard [jk]
Skill is a glitch, you have no life, Aniki doesn't wavedash, and Ken is cheap. :laugh:

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Nope. Neither Reptile nor Pichu were glitches. They were put in the game to piss us off, making us think we bought corrupted games. They really hate us.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I think its like.. 20% Exploit and 80% Technique.

Every character has a different one, and a different feel to it so it actually has character elements in it.

But in general it is something not originally noticed but is used and is probably still going to be in Brawl. Unless the Havok engine totally messes with it. I think it will stay, but be changed around. Maybe even recognized as an actual technique and looked at by the developers.

Baamage

Smash Apprentice
Oh jeez if it wasn't for your /sarcasm off thing I would have been onto you like zombie on a baby

cause a lot of games dont cover the whole game in their manual anymore. And anyways, it's not like wavedashing makes the game cheap or anything. It's an advanced skill, so its usefulness derives from the mastery of the execution in the first place. It's not like some ultimate move or anything. It just adds some depth into the game.

I don't think it should be taken out of Brawl, it's not like wavedashing turns people away from Melee anyways.

EDIT:
Lol after reading your post again I see all the sarcasm now
No, I don't think he was cause he was put in the later games.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Oh my, PimpUigi. That's a face I haven't seen around these boards in a while.

I'm about sick of talking about wavedashing though, it's like a hydra, you cut off one head and 2 others pop up.

SiD

Smash Master
Why do you people need to have wavedashing back? If you want to play the same game, play melee. Don't expect Brawl to be the same, that would be a bad sequel.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
PimpUigi is God.
(Well, close)

Anyway, I feared my idol was stupid until I saw the sarcasm.

nightcape1

Smash Apprentice
Just because a technique is not listed in the manual for a game doesn't mean it won't be in the game. In Mortal Kombat Armageddon, it doesn't talk about kreate-a-fatality in the manual, but obviously you can do it. I agree that if Brawl were essentially the same game, it would be less exciting, and for other reasons, wavedashing may not be in the game, but it is hardly justifiable to say that the reason is because it is not mentioned in the manual.

SiD

Smash Master
Just because a technique is not listed in the manual for a game doesn't mean it won't be in the game. In Mortal Kombat Armageddon, it doesn't talk about kreate-a-fatality in the manual, but obviously you can do it. I agree that if Brawl were essentially the same game, it would be less exciting, and for other reasons, wavedashing may not be in the game, but it is hardly justifiable to say that the reason is because it is not mentioned in the manual.
Dude, he was being sarcastic about the manual thing.

Kimosabae

Smash Journeyman
Why do you people need to have wavedashing back? If you want to play the same game, play melee. Don't expect Brawl to be the same, that would be a bad sequel.
Wait, so the community wanting one of their favorite, defining mechanics from Melee in the game's sequel means they'd be asking for the exact same game? Don't be stupid.

There's much more to Smash in general than Wavedashing, just like there's much more to making a decent point than ******** strawman arguments.

-SynikaL

SiD

Smash Master
I'm saying a mechanic that wasn't intentional, that not everyone likes, was good for melee but Brawl should be something different. For most who use it, wavedashing changes the way you play the game, and I don't want that again, I can play melee if I want to play like that. Don't condescend to me because you know that people agree more with you than with me, it wasn't a "strawman" argument, it was a legitimate opinion that I'm sure that others share. Next time you try harder making a decent point instead of criticizing mine because you don't agree with it.

Ess oh Aytch

Smash Ace
I'm saying a mechanic that wasn't intentional, that not everyone likes, was good for melee but Brawl should be something different. For most who use it, wavedashing changes the way you play the game, and I don't want that again, I can play melee if I want to play like that. Don't condescend to me because you know that people agree more with you than with me, it wasn't a "strawman" argument, it was a legitimate opinion that I'm sure that others share. Next time you try harder making a decent point instead of criticizing mine because you don't agree with it.
Jesus.... Go look at MookieRah's post in the OTHER wavedashing topic. I cannot stand this place anymore if this constant bull**** goes on.

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
It seems that one of your arguements is that wavedashing changes the way the game is played and you don't seem to enjoy this. You also state that someone shouldn't flame you because your opinion is a "minority". This being said you want to change the way the "majority" plays the game. "cough" Also without WD there is no choice. Atleast with wavedash in you can do it or not.

SiD

Smash Master
It seems that one of your arguements is that wavedashing changes the way the game is played and you don't seem to enjoy this. You also state that someone shouldn't flame you because your opinion is a "minority". This being said you want to change the way the "majority" plays the game. "cough" Also without WD there is no choice. Atleast with wavedash in you can do it or not.
Good point, but the people I play with and the small time tournaments I compete it make it not a choice. If I want to stand a chance, I have to. Which is fine. But I don't think we should be playing Brawl the same way as melee. I could just play melee for that and not spend more $50 to do so.

Regardless of if I like it or not, I don't think it'll return. I think they'll see it as somewhat of a deterrent for casual players, which I don't think it is, but I think they will. Which, obviously, will make me happy. If you really can't live without wavedashing, then again, just play melee. Playing with real people who are good at smash, doesn't leave me with a choice.

EDIT: I'd also like to thank you for presenting a valid point instead of just flaming me. This is what forums are for people.

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
Good point, but the people I play with and the small time tournaments I compete it make it not a choice. I must disagree with this statement. Although wavedashing is important it is deffinately not neccassary. I can't say it isn't helpful because im not willing to try to not wavedash just to test it out but it has been proven that it is not neccassary by certain players. If I want to stand a chance, I have to. Which is fine. But I don't think we should be playing Brawl the same way as melee. Wavedashing doesn't really make the game. I still use the same ideas I learned from melee and can apply it to the N64 version.I could just play melee for that and not spend more $50 to do so. Ok this is the only statement I 100% disagree with. You totally stress the fact that Wavedash is as significant as the Big Bang/Creation (w/e you prefur)

Regardless of if I like it or not, I don't think it'll return. I think they'll see it as somewhat of a deterrent for casual players, which I don't think it is, but I think they will.Good arguement I don't really have arguement here except that L cancel was in original and was passed on. This was not in the manual but im not sure about its origins (glitch or not) Which, obviously, will make me happy. If you really can't live without wavedashing, then again, just play melee. Playing with real people who are good at smash, doesn't leave me with a choice.

EDIT: I'd also like to thank you for presenting a valid point instead of just flaming me. This is what forums are for people.
Acutally I did make fun on your name but I took it back hahaha =) my names not much better hehehe

SiD

Smash Master
Yeah I saw that but a joke is different and something I can appreciate.

Your mom's not much better.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
"/sarcasm off"

Does that mean this is a joke thread? =S

All in all, there's TOO many threads about Wavedashing.

I like what Mookie said, about the Hydra. Makes sense.

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
Haha ok sorry as im sure you know sarcasm is sometimes really hard to see online.

jdironfist

Smash Cadet
Why do you need to have airdodging back? If you want to play the same game, play Melee.

Why do you need to have edgehogging back? If you want to play the same game, play Melee.

Etc., etc.

In all honesty, whether or not wavedashing gets in will probably not affect you. So why do you care about it being gone? For those of us that play, say, Luigi, and play him decently, we need wavedashing! That's where Luigi gets his speed. So if wavedashing leaves in Brawl, there are going to have to be quite a few gameplay changes to balance things.

I just can't understand why wavedashing is so offensive to anybody. If you don't like it, don't use it. If you get creamed by people who shffl and wavedash, and you don't like losing, learn to use them. Learn to edgeguard. Figure out how to win, or play against other people who don't use advanced techniques. But if you're just whining because you think that wavedashing's a glitch, then stop whining and don't use it. Also, stop bothering us for wanting it back since we use it.

SiD

Smash Master
You're wrong, I do use wavedashing, i just don't like how it changes every second of how the game is played. Those other things do not. I'm not bothering you, I'm debating my point.

jdironfist

Smash Cadet
You're wrong, I do use wavedashing, i just don't like how it changes every second of how the game is played. Those other things do not. I'm not bothering you, I'm debating my point.
Well, it changes different strategies. I'm going to use my Luigi example, since I think it's a good one. If you play as Luigi without wavedashing, you play pretty slowly and have to think about how to avoid your opponent even though you're slower than he is. With wavedashing, Luigi goes nearly twice as fast, so you can use more time to find an opening in your opponent's defenses you can exploit. In this example, it doesn't change every second of the game, it enhances the way your time can be used.

Does that make sense?

SiD

Smash Master
Yeah it does, but

As I try to think of a rebuttle, I realize that you'll never agree that wavedashing shouldn't return, and I won't ever agree it should, so may the best idea win. Come when we find out, one of us will concede. Until then,

Handshake?

Top Bottom