• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

wavelanding:whats it for?

drago980

Smash Apprentice
hello everyone
wavelanding is a technique u rarely use in battle(for me anyway). does anyone know when to use it and how???

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
On the contrary. Wavelanding is very commonly used during battle, and can benefit your play in numerous ways.

It acts as a way to psych out the opponent, and space yourself for certain moves, such as a smash or a grab.

alcheato

Smash Ace
On stages like Dream Land and Battlefield you can use (although I rarely do) to lure your opponent into trying to sweetspot the ledge and then wavelanding backwards off the platform to grab the ledge before your opponent, you can use it to transition into an aerial when you're near a platform, or you can use it to recover from a ledge and into a grab or attack.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
On stages like Dream Land and Battlefield you can use (although I rarely do) to lure your opponent into trying to sweetspot the ledge and then wavelanding backwards off the platform to grab the ledge before your opponent, you can use it to transition into an aerial when you're near a platform, or you can use it to recover from a ledge and into a grab or attack.
I don't think you completely know what "wavelanding" refers to.

Wavelanding is jumping (whether it be a full jump or short hop), and landing the jump with a wavedash in either direction.

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
wavelanding is used for moving around platforms quickly, for recovering onto the stage, and for various bits of spacing.

thats about it.

alcheato

Smash Ace
I don't think you completely know what "wavelanding" refers to.

Wavelanding is jumping (whether it be a full jump or short hop), and landing the jump with a wavedash in either direction.
Yes, I know exactly what wavelanding refers to, but perhaps I explained badly.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
Wavelanding is way too awesome. It's at least as cool as regular wavedashing, if not more cool.

And with some characters, it adds an awesome combo-ability game. AKA Luigi's f-air, to a waveland d-smash, into another aerial. Landing after the f-air, and then wavedashing would be waaay too slow. And slow's not what we're about. >.>

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
When you jump people follow your character and (unconsciously) calculate where you're going to land.
When you waveland you screw up those calculations by not being where they expect you to be, so you create an element of suprise.
How you use this to your advantage?
You'll have to figure that out yourself.

drago980

Smash Apprentice
wow thats a lot of advice. thanks for everyone who posted something up here. i guess wavelanding isnt so pointless after all.

*Keil*

Smash Cadet
simple.. mind games an for some characters it increases der maneuverbility by a nice amount.

Mythos

Smash Cadet
I think this move is most useful if you play with fox :D
Shorthop in your oponnents direction, fastfall, wavelandig back,wavedash back
and again.
Nobody can stand this ... :)

Sudai

Stuff here
another question: when is the right time to use wavedash?
Mainly for spacing and mind games. You'll need to try it out a lot to determine when the best times to use it is.

My favorite thing to do with new techniques is to -overuse- them in friendlies to learn when to use them and when not to use them.

Gelton

Smash Apprentice
I think bombsoldier used the waveland to shine a couple times in those JGT vids, very cool mindgame =) Not to mention the coolest looking shine combo, ever.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
The timing is inherently different. Just try airdodging into the ground, then gradually work the angle into a near-horizontal slide.

Trespayne

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trespayne
Yeah, wavelanding definitely has good uses. One good thing is to just jump a little away from your opponent then waveland towards them and grab or quick smash. It always catches them by suprise and gives you a good combo chance. Also like Ka-Master said, you can use it to attack then waveland away quickly then wavedash towards them after that because they most likely smash attacked and missed leaving them open for another attack. Just play around with the waveland a little and you will start finding a lot of uses for it on your own too.

Ronin686

Smash Ace
Wavelanding is used for basically the same things as regular wavedashing.

That is, mind games and spacing.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Earthbound360 said:
YOU COULDN'T RESIST SEEING THE REST OF MY SIG COULD YOU!?

MUAHAHAHA!

I HAVE LURED YOU INTO MY TRAP AND HAVE WASTED 7 SECONDS OF YOUR LIFE THAT YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO RECLAIM!!!
That made me lawl

And on-topic, yeah doc does some cool stuff too. SHBairWL FTW!

Top Bottom