• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Waveshine help

BranFlakes217

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bran-Flakes217
So, i'm a weirdo and use the control stick for jumping out of shine, wavedashing, etc. And wanted to practice or learn waveshining. Can anyone help?

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
So, i'm a weirdo and use the control stick for jumping out of shine, wavedashing, etc. And wanted to practice or learn waveshining. Can anyone help?
You're a wizard @ BranFlakes217 BranFlakes217 ! Anyway, that has to be incredibly hard, can you perfectly wavedash? If not, you might wanna get that down before trying to waveshine. Although, a waveshine is literally just a wavedash out of shine, so you might be able to somehow pull it off like that.

AirFair

Marth tho
tap jump wavedashing? I feel like this will eventually really hurt your play if you are playing melee, much less a spacie.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Small things like that DO matter the better you get, though not that much at your level probably. I would still advice you to learn good wd angles right from the start, because that's easier than re-learning them later. I think wd'ing with button would make that significantly easier for you, can't be sure though. Maybe with falco it's not that hard since he has long jumpsquat, but if you want to learn other chars later, x/y is much easier.

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
It does matter, it could be the difference between last stock, just try to adjust onto using the buttons, I used to tap jump as well and after my first tournament I HAD to switch to buttons, it'll be awkward at first, but you'll get used to it.

DefyPls

Smash Cadet
The best information I can provide is to just familiarize yourself with using the buttons. I'm sorry, but trying to waveshine with the control stick just sounds ridiculously difficult compared to moving the control stick from down to the next divot in the controller and hitting X/Y then L/R. Good luck.

Lumi.

Smash Rookie
You should play the game how you want to play it, but I honestly think you'd have a significantly easier time learning to use X or Y to jump in general. It makes wavedashing and waveshining much easier. Most players still use tap jump for fast JC shine aerials so you've got that going for you.

Stalled

Smash Apprentice
^ Past stuff like shine dj bair/dair I don't think that most players use tap jump for shine aerials. x/y would be far more consistent especially when pressuring shield or whatever.

Last edited:

DefyPls

Smash Cadet
Whenever I go for shine turn around aerials I switch to claw motion, but it's all personal preference and whatever you're most comfortable with.

Top Bottom