• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ways melee has helped you in your life unrelated to melee

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
Well, for me, I was using drugs really hard for a while. I started hanging out with one of my old friends again and we started playing melee, and I got into it and loved it again.

Eventually i decided to quit and I spent a lot of my time watching melee matches and practicing tech skill to help me get my mind off it. If it wasn't for this game and my gf, I'd still most likely be using.

Has it done anything like this for anyone else?

:phone:

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
i think its made me more introspective than i already was. which is saying a lot
met some cool people through smash too

also tech skill practice is like instant stress relief which is pretty sick

edit:
also the 'no johns' mentality applied to everything in life. holding responsibility for every single one of your shortcomings makes you a better person imo

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Yeah sitting around and just doing Fox tech **** is a great way to relax for a few minutes and get my mind off of things when I'm stressed

Besides that it really hasnt added all that much to my life tbh

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
I'm way better at grabbing people now.

Uh but yeah really, I've met a few people and it's a great stress reliever and fun hobby but it hasn't really done a lot for me personally otherwise.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Trying to play melee competitively has put me in situations where I'm forced to be social.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Met some of my best friends playing this game. It did negatively impact my life in that I was thinking about Melee all the time and not focusing on important stuff like school and socializing with people around me though. I eventually quit playing competitively (was never that good at it anyway), but I still enjoy hanging out with Melee friends once in a while.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I want to see M2K or Armada come in here and be like

"I have made a somewhat large amount of money from this game"

Do it

Bing

Smash Master
Its lead to a few things:

1. It lead to a few job opportunities, mostly revolved around running events and such.
2. Used to be used as a way to calm down or cheer me up when I was feeling down, but unfortunately I've become so driven to improve that it sometimes has the opposite effect when Im just practicing and can't get something.
3. Met a lot of great people that have had enormous impacts in my life.

I dunno, I could go deeper into this but I'm lazy. Theres so much frustration and even pain that comes with this game as well as joy and that feeling of accomplishment. Like when you win your first ever set, the first time you made bracket, top 5 finishes, making PR etc etc.

JKJ

Smash Ace
Before I even went to my first tournament, Melee helped me to meet three of my now-closest friends.
I first met one now-close friend after mutual ****-talk about who was better after I discovered a shared interest in the game. He was a friend of a friend. We have since grown very close.

I met another friend through talking about melee during an off period that we had together. I barely knew him before we sat together at the table, and again, we are now quite close.

I met another friend through the previous friend. He was also interested in Melee, more so Project M, but still, Melee, and we became friends and now often hang out.

Aside from that, Melee has taught me that there is an important connection between the mind and the body. When I eat like crap and am unhealthy, I play like s**t and can't focus. When I am physically feeling well, I play much better and am able to have an elevated presence of mind.

Melee is a fantastic game, and I hope it lives forever.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
1. I made a bunch of new friends and got closer with my friends that I already.

2. Gave me work experience from running tournament.

3. Gave me a place to fit into something (Some people had sports, band, drama, etc. I got this and felt good)

4. I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE THOUGHT tech skill stopped me from being sad. It really does.

5. More determination and focus in school work (The way I try to study and get into melee, I use on school, now I get As)

6. New life experiences.

7. I am an overall happier person.

Mahone

Smash Champion
it taught me how terrible people can be when they lose in any form of competition...

and it taught me a lot about how celebrity worship works and how detrimental it is to society in general...

also a lot of stuff on how to improve at things quickly, just general practice techniques and stuff

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
it taught me that i lose focus and get miffed too easily over things that are not really not important in the long run, leading to (in melee) a terrible tournament record and a poor mindset that i aquired without realizing i had.

it also taught me that my sportsmanship needs SERIOUS work

and lastly it taught me that i do better at something if i'm doing it for fun as opposed to doing it for "competition"

how i'm going to appply these to my real life, i dk

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Better mindset.

Lots of unnecessary stress and anger have been avoided after I started playing.

Find the problem - fix it. No bs in between. Works in Melee and real life.

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
It helped me become more social and meet a lot of cool people that I wouldn't have met otherwise. It's been teaching me more and more about how patience and lots of hard work will yield better results. And it has taught me to be more thrifty with my money. :p

Hax

Smash Champion
it taught me what it really means to achieve mastery of something

Handorin

Smash Hero
Not only did I find a ton of new friends and a great hobby, it eventually lead to the best thing in my yet, my wife.

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
I played a LOT of call of duty before I started playing melee again. I can tell you right now, it is way more fun, it doesn't frustrate me, and it actually takes skill and thought. COD was a waste of 4 years of my life, to be honest. Im going to stick with smash and only play COD online with friends to mess around.

On another note somewhat related to this forum, lets look at a game like COD vs older Nintendo Games. The new generation of gamer essentially only care about WINNING. In the past, if you died five times in Mario, you actually had to start over and make adjustments to your play style and techniques. Now, you always win the campaign in practically every game. FPS allow you to "rage quit" and just leave a server, if your not winning or doing good. That is what is morally wrong with the crap out now, it has been made so easy that any dipsh*t can play it. Even smash challenges you by introducing many different game elements to incorporate while playing, and a completely different way to tech from character to character. Why do I like smash? Because it is a challenge to play and is easy to have a great time with, plus is very pro and beginner friendly. Call Of Duty, along with thousands of other games recently released? Takes a week to be a pro, then leaves kids and adults in a neverending addiction to something they will never completely excel at, while also requiring very little knowledge, even at the pro level. Hey COD players, Call that sh*t teamwork? Watch a perfect TAS team video in ssbm, that is effing teamwork at its finest.

Sorry for ranting about this, just needed to spark the idea. I know they are just video games, but please don't act as if they do not affect your life or morals at ALL

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Melee led me to meet some of my best friends and some of e best people I have ever met. I am actually closer to my smash best friends more than people that I have known for much longer. Players like Hungrybox, Cactuar, Colbol, Velocity and many others are really good role models for other players. This community will never die, and this game has been out for 12 years no other games metagame comes close except f Halo 2 and MvC2 and older games like these. Evo is around the corner.
@Hax, everytime I watch you play that is exactly what I am thinking. You and Cactuar push this game to the limit.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
My approach and mindset towards various aspects of life has been tailored by how I approach Melee.

Madic0

Smash Rookie
I agree the most with what Jolteon said. Other things already mentioned:

• Motivation to plow on, even at times when you hate it
  • Higher mental awareness
  • Perspective on the term "mastery"
As well as all the awesome people I've met and will meet who I can identify immediately with because of a small joy we all share. The type of relationship between the majority of gamers in general is pretty bizarre and awesome.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
No johns, every option has a counter, and don't put yourself in dumb situations

PhantasyStar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyebre
3DS FC
1521-4107-6959
I had never truly thought of joining a competitive scene in gaming till I had watched Melee a year or two ago. I've managed to gain stronger relationships with friends and like what Madic0 said ' Perspective on the term "mastery" '.

EbAgItachi

Smash Cadet
Melee taught me to be more patient when it comes to achieving something I want/need. There are a lot of situations that require you to analyze multiple things about your opponent before making a move toward them, and if you decide to rush recklessly, you'll get punished hard and regret your previous mindset until it stops happening. I've noticed that ever since I started playing Melee, I've gotten into the habit of analyzing everything about my surroundings (in real life) before making any concrete assumptions about anything or anyone. It's saved me from saying dumb things that could be offensive, even if it wasn't my intention, in additon to recieving a bunch of background information about situations as they happen in real time.

nessokman

Smash Lord
That extremeist fans of something will stop at nothing to proove they/their game is better. D:

Top Bottom