• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We are destined to meet in battle! - Wolf+

VietGeek

Smash Hero
his reflector when canceled from landing off a shorthop is good for mix-ups. only true combo is so frame-precise it's not worth the effort (sh shine -> bair with buffer at 10/"handicap" 100)

you can create the same situation in the air too, you have to wait off all ur lag frames though

Jam23

Smash Rookie
from what ive seen no but thats not a big deal to me his reflector is more of a combo breaker than a combo move

Oh Wolf can combo with his Reflector but it is more of a get **** back move.

I might get flamed or be called butt hurt but I have a few issues with Wolf. Why does he have super armor in his reflector? Really I don't think he needs and it can be abused quite well. What's with the power of his Up-B? I don't get why that move is killing at 80% damage when I get juggled in the air. Anyone care to explain?

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
Oh Wolf can combo with his Reflector but it is more of a get **** back move.

I might get flamed or be called butt hurt but I have a few issues with Wolf. Why does he have super armor in his reflector? Really I don't think he needs and it can be abused quite well. What's with the power of his Up-B? I don't get why that move is killing at 80% damage when I get juggled in the air. Anyone care to explain?

he has inv in his reflector not super armor and also its something you shouldnt really be doing a whole lot anyways only times you really should be pressing b is when your zoning, recovering, gimping off the top, or combo breaking

and your probably getting killed off the top right? if so then no big deal its always been there

VietGeek

Smash Hero
if ur dying at 80 i'm gonna have to either wonder:

A. why are you fighting against wolf on warioware (or any stage like it)
B. how the hell ur that close to the border
C. playing a light character and getting hit by upb AT 80% (im very doubtful dair which is the only guaranteed set-up to upb deals enough hitstun to most characters at that % range)

really unrelated but just got a stroke of thought (a...what?):

you can argue its dumb but often times when a game gets balanced it loses a lot of what made it interesting. balancing characters and game mechanics altogether and allowing them to mesh well is already something nearly impossible to do. try doing that while keeping the game interesting is beyond even that difficulty.

through the course of brawl and smash in general often times in an attempt to 'balance' things, things that made characters 'unique' or 'interesting' (you can be objective in what makes a character those two traits, but yeah it's usually easier to be subjective on that so it's hard to pinpoint those characteristics) are taken away from them.

heck you can already see that with melee -> brawl; where fox lost his ability to JC shine.

when people try to level out the playing field they often do just that and ...err lost of word(s) here... "generic-ify" (LOLWTF) characters more or less. so yeah characters are balanced but the game loses a certain factor within it that keeps the game interesting to play, even if those factors happen to be locks, chaingrabs, overly dominating moves, and one-sided match-ups (just throwing out examples smash players can get; not jabbing at anything here, really <_<).

easy game to identify balance done "right" (in the case that some characters all have gay **** to exploit and abuse but is still a well-balanced game) is guilty gear.

now sure it took a few years and in that time some ppl were ready to move on to other games, but look at high level matches in that game; the worst characters can still go toe-toe with eddie (top tier) provided they play their cards right.

so yeah big post about NOTHING xD but wolf is getting physic changes that will tone down his combo resistance so you can dish out the same **** he dishes out to you (or more; auto-combo falco :mad088:). let's not sign anymore peace treaties with the intent of screwing the same ppl you want to "make peace" with mmkay? lol

oh yeah, this might be considered spam so :048::012:

Jam23

Smash Rookie
if ur dying at 80 i'm gonna have to either wonder:

A. why are you fighting against wolf on warioware (or any stage like it)
B. how the hell ur that close to the border
C. playing a light character and getting hit by upb AT 80% (im very doubtful dair which is the only guaranteed set-up to upb deals enough hitstun to most characters at that % range)
Ok sorry for the bit of misunderstanding. I don't get killed at 80% all the time, mainly in about 90%-120%, but I have been killed at around 80% before with Charizard from an Up-B on PS2. Like I said I get juggled by up-airs or d-air off the ground that stuns me for a while. However, it doesn't work on all my characters but I don't recall on that move ever being able to kill that much.

No, I don't play on warioware stage for the sole purpose that it has, at least to me, horrible borders.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
his reflector when canceled from landing off a shorthop is good for mix-ups. only true combo is so frame-precise it's not worth the effort (sh shine -> bair with buffer at 10/"handicap" 100)

you can create the same situation in the air too, you have to wait off all ur lag frames though
The shine -> bair combo is actually performed by staying in the air the whole time. You don't land in between. It's done by doing rising shine -> falling bair, and the bair will come out just before you land. Unfortunately, it requires you to be very close to your opp with your back turned, and it has all of 0 frames of error to execute in a sh, so... it's not very practical. At the range you need to be at, you may as well just grab or something. You're more likely to pull it off in a FJ, landing the shine from beneath the opponent. Might be useful for when you don't wanna send an opponent upward again with uair. I'm not actually sure if this still combos in 6.0, since I only tested shine -> jab.

Speaking of which, you can combo falling shine -> jab, but the timing was made pretty strict with the hitstun reduction, and with the invuln on shine gone, it's generally not worth it anymore. It was one thing when their only option was to shield (which they could punish you from btw, so it was far from broken), but now that grabs go through the shine, attacks cause damage through the shine, and the window for pulling off the shine and still getting to combo has been lowered (the last one just removes some of the versatility in timing, but the first two directly harm the move's ability to be used as a counter), it's not a very good idea to jump in there with a shine when you can just keep zoning with bair or punish with grabs. Jumping in with a shine when it had invuln was actually a really cool way to punish someone when you predicted they were gonna throw out an attack, since your shine would go through their attack and then you'd end up dealing some 16% or so after both the shine and the full jab combo, as well as putting them in a bad position afterward for some potential strings. However, if you predicted wrong and they weren't attacking, they could shield and then punish you for jumping at them. Now, you could potentially take even more damage for jumping in with the shine than you end up doing in your counter, or they could just grab you out of it, making the move much less useful. This is part of why I find wolf a lot less interesting to play nowadays; you don't have much reason to do anything besides camp bairs all day.

Oh, and before someone mentions it... no, shine -> dsmash has never been possible.

@Jam: If you're having trouble with wolf's upB... stop getting hit by dair. It's the only move in his entire moveset that will combo into upB. Anything else doesn't have enough hitstun and you can AD out... and then punish wolf for being overly aggressive. Furthermore, even if you do get hit by dair, you can still SDI the linking hits of upB to get out before the final hit connects, at which point you can also punish wolf.

highfive

Smash Lord
Hello all. I've mained Wolf in vBrawl and now I'm starting to do it in Brawl+

I'll post now and then but I'll mostly lurk.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
yummy, he suffers a lot of hitstun. and his reflector is bad in my opinion. He has a terrible matchup with the most used character in the game. (Falcon) But excels against probably the second (jiggs)

I think almost every character is broken in some way or the other in B+.

highfive

Smash Lord
1. Dthrow
2. Wolf Flash when Falcon is at 76 to 87 percent.
3. Edge Guard
4. ????
5. Profit!

It works when there is no DI at all.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
1. Dthrow kinda sucks. Uthrow sets up juggles well and bthrow combos great when DIed wrong (which everyone constantly does for some reason).
2. What is Wolf Flash? Side-B sweetspot? That doesn't work on a competent opponent.

Top Bottom